Alex Singleton -- Must See!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Alex Singleton -- Must See!

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:47 am

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Alex Singleton -- Must See!

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 am

I can't decided if that is funny or ridiculously disturbing!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:31 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 am
I can't decided if that is funny or ridiculously disturbing!
I've made my decision, and I didn't come down on the side of funny. Maybe it's because I'm pissed that Smash Mouth is stuck in my head now.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:50 am

I believe Alex and his sister, Ashley, will be on SportsCenter this morning at 8:40.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:13 pm

Alex signed a 1yr contract with the Eagles for 850k, Philly owes him way more than that... rooting for him to really light it up next year and get paid.

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:55 am

Why did he not get paid more!! And only one year? He was the best linebacker the eagles had!🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:21 am

spring creek cat wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:55 am
Why did he not get paid more!! And only one year? He was the best linebacker the eagles had!🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
If the Eagles didn't want to pay more, I would have thought someone else would.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:59 am

He was designated as an exclusive rights free agent. Which sucks for him this year but he'll be an unrestricted free agent in 2022.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:44 am

The Eagles basically said "ok, now prove it". Seems reasonable imo. He'll get paid big-time the following year in a FA contract if he keeps up the same level of play.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:14 am

Talk about hitting the lottery from the eagles standpoint. Due to the contract set up they are able to sign one of the most productive LB’s in the entire league for next to nothing (compared to what it would have been if unrestricted).

Good for Alex though. It’s awesome that he is having this much success at the next level!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:06 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:47 am
Is this what the term “smash mouth football” means? :lol:

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:40 am

CatBot wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:44 am
The Eagles basically said "ok, now prove it". Seems reasonable imo. He'll get paid big-time the following year in a FA contract if he keeps up the same level of play.
I just wanted to clarify a few things for you guys. I'm not a cap expert but this is the way I understand it. Alex now has what is considered two years of accrued service in the NFL. All players with 2 or less years of NFL service whose contracts expire become exclusive rights free agents. That is exactly what it sounds like. The Philadelphia Eagles (or the team they last played for) has the exclusive right to sign him. No one else can make an offer or it's considered tampering. Since they have the exclusive right, the team almost always gives the player the league minimum to save on salary cap space.

So he has to play out this year and he can cash in if he plays well, right? Not exactly...For you see, all players with 3 or less years of NFL service whose contracts expire become restricted free agents. Much better than being an exclusive rights free agent, but still, as the name implies, restricted. The Eagles have the first right to offer him a tender. Those tenders are usually at league mandated levels of salary. He can be tendered a first round offer, which, per the NFL, is a 4.149 million dollar, 1 year contract. However, any other NFL team has a chance to offer him more than that and take him away. However again! The Eagles can also match the competing teams offer and keep Alex. OR, since the Eagles offered him a first round tender, the team that is trying to sign him away from the Eagles has to give the Eagles their first round pick to steal him away. Probably not going to happen. The Eagles can also tender Alex a second round offer. His salary would be 2.914 million, for one year. But again, a team can pay him more than that and steal him away from the Eagles, but they also have to give the Eagles a second round pick. Or the Eagles can match the offer and keep Alex. The final tender is what is known as original round tender and is a 1.907 million for one year. It's the same as the above, except the competing team has to give the Eagles whatever round pick the free agent was originally drafted at. Since Alex was an undrafted free agent, that means no pick. So they can try to sign Alex for minimal to save cap space, but someone can then steal him away. Or they can pay him more money and retain his services for a year, barring someone from wanting him so badly they'd give up a 1st or 2nd round pick for him. There's a chance they'd give him a multi year deal worth more money, but most NFL clubs like to keep the players on cost controlled salaries for as long as possible to keep their team's salary cap as low as possible for obvious reasons.

Now for the good news! If Alex balls out this year AND NEXT year, he'll finally be an unrestricted free agent and can cash in on a multi year, large money deal if ANY team is willing to give it to him. He just has to go through some NFL contract hoops to get there...

If anyone wants to read more into it or if I just confused you, here's another source that maybe makes more sense.

"Exclusive-rights free agents
Exclusive-rights free agents (ERFAs) are players with two or fewer seasons of service time and whose contracts have expired. If their team tenders a qualifying offer (a one-year contract usually at league-minimum salary) the player has no negotiating rights with other teams, and must either sign the tender with the team or sit out the season.[8]

Restricted free agents
Restricted free agents (RFAs) are players who have three accrued seasons of service and whose contracts have expired. RFAs have received qualifying offers from their old clubs and are free to negotiate with any club until a deadline which occurs approximately a week prior to the NFL Draft (for 2010 the deadline was April 15), at which time their rights revert to their original club. If a player accepts an offer from a new club, the old club will have the right to match the offer and retain the player. If the old club elects not to match the offer, it may receive draft-choice compensation depending on the level of the qualifying offer made to the player."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_agent

And a little more in depth on Restricted Free Agents

In the National Football League, a restricted free agent is one with three or fewer accrued seasons (six or more regular season games with a team)[1] of service, who has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players, known as a "tender") from his current club. He can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a five-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club the day after negotiations must end.

Tender amounts
In 2007, a second-round tender offer was added, and after the 2011 lockout, the top tender was removed. The three tender amounts for 2018 are as follows:[2]

Tender amount Compensation required
$4.149 million First-round
$2.914 million Second-round
$1.907 million Determined by RFA's original draft status
Each player that signs a tender receives a non-guaranteed one-year salary that corresponds to the tender level. Teams which choose not to match an offer on a player with a low tender receive a draft pick corresponding to the round in which the player was originally drafted (except that the highest pick that can be surrendered for such a tender is a second-round pick). For example, a player who was originally drafted in the sixth round of the NFL Draft would force the team signing him to give his former team a sixth-round pick in the upcoming draft as compensation for his service. No compensation is required for an undrafted player on the lowest tender amount, so teams with valued undrafted RFAs are taking a risk by offering such tenders. (The top tender prior to 2011 required first- and third-round picks as compensation.)

Examples of possible outcomes
In addition to the following outcomes, if a player does not receive an offer sheet from his original team, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. If a player signs the offer sheet from his original team, he remains with that team.

Team declining to match offer sheet. Carolina Panthers cornerback Ricky Manning was a restricted free agent in the 2006 offseason. Based on the tender placed on Manning by the Panthers, the team would receive a third-round pick in the NFL Draft if Manning signed with another team. On April 21, the Chicago Bears signed Manning to an offer sheet – a five-year contract worth up to $23 million. Although the Panthers had a full week to decide if they wanted to match the offer sheet, they announced on April 24 that they would not match. At this time, Manning became a member of the Bears and the Panthers received a third-round draft choice in the 2006 draft from Chicago.
Team matching offer sheet. Arizona Cardinals offensive guard Reggie Wells was a restricted free agent in the 2006 offseason. On March 17, the Buffalo Bills signed him to an offer sheet – a five-year deal worth approximately $18 million. Four days later on March 21, the Cardinals matched the Bills' offer sheet for Wells, and he reverted to the Cardinals.
Team consummating a trade. The Miami Dolphins offered wide receiver Wes Welker a second-round tender in 2007. Although it was widely rumored that the New England Patriots would offer Welker a seven-year, $35 million deal, the Patriots ultimately traded their second- and seventh-round draft picks to the Dolphins for Welker, signing Welker to a five-year, $18 million contract.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

I hope this helps clear things up. I know it gets a little complicated.

Edit: I just noticed that the restricted free agency salary numbers are from 2018. Those have probably gone up a little since then, but they still show you the 3 levels of tenders that can be offered so I'll leave them.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:46 am

If you don't want to read the previous wall of text, the short version is this. Alex is tightly controlled by the Eagles for this season and the 2022 season. He most likely can't get a big contract until 2023, per league rules.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:58 am

Or they can pay him what he is worth and he won't leave in one or two years.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:01 pm

Looks like Alex gets nice little play time bonus for last year, I still think they owe him more.

NBC Sports: Alex Singleton led Eagles in performance-based pay for 2020 season.
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... 020-season

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:39 am

Bobcat80
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat80 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:48 am

In those 12 starts last year, Singleton had an incredible 111 tackles, a pace of 9.25 tackles per game. If he were to keep that pace going for a 17-game season, he’d end up with 157 tackles, demolishing the Eagles’ single-season record and breaking the NFL record. :shock: :shock:

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu May 27, 2021 11:42 am

At least now we know where ex griz tackle counters go when they are done at the college level.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:40 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:39 pm

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/08/the-s ... utType=amp

Alex is easily my favorite NFL player, but this young man's dedication to the community is just plain awesome. What a man he has become =D^