WBB next season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

WBB next season

Post by Catlady » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:04 am

We’re losing two players ( Martell and Zieske) from this season, are we in danger of losing any others? We have a strong returning cast and some promising recruits coming in, but was wondering if Binford might be looking at any transfers? Looking at our roster it’s stacked, but are we missing a piece.

The interior is strong, with Bad Bear, Lindsay, Mocchi, Deden and Jannsen. I didn’t like how we got moved around by Idaho, but I’m confident with a full off season of lifting and conditioning we’ll be ready for the Idaho’s and some non conference games. We also have a 6’5” freshmen coming in..... she could be a game changer in the post.

Our Guard play is amazing, but we have lots of offense to make up with the graduation of Martell.
White, Limardo, Beattie, Van Sickle, Ranson and Jackson are amazing. Freshmen guards coming look strong offensively, but you never know what you’re going to get from incoming freshmen until they’re on the court.

Overall we look like we’re preseason favorites, but lots of unknowns including if other BSC schools are taking advantage of an extra year of eligibility. Looking forward to next season. Going to be interesting to see if Binford makes any moves.
Last edited by Catlady on Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

cat-o-nine
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: WBB next season

Post by cat-o-nine » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:11 am

https://msubobcats.com/news/2020/11/11/ ... oster.aspx
Just a refresher on who the new recruits are for this next year.

From the article:
- Lindsay Hein, a 6-6 center from Forsyth, MT.
- Mia Hughes, a 5-10 forward from Woodinville, WA.
- Casey Ardern, a 5-5 guard from Wodonga, Victoria, Australia.

Hopefully a good off-season weight training program will help prevent another game like the one vs. Idaho.
As long as the NCAA isn't involved in providing the weights. #-o

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:51 am

Just learned about the weights situation at the NCAA’s. That’s just wrong! It’s amazing to continue to see the inequality in sports and our society! Makes me even prouder of Montana State and how we treat our student athletes.

Hats off to President Cruzado and our AD for building a culture so all athletes can prosper.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:16 am

Everybody just needs to get just that little bit better. We were prone to long scoring droughts this season. In years past we could always go to Peyton Ferris or Fallyn Freije for a basket. Darian White was that person many times this season, but I think we need a post player to emerge in that role. I'm thinking Lexi Deden will get there. White needs to improve her perimeter shooting, Limardo needs to be a little more consistent. Beattie needs to become the clutch shooter that Martell was. And weight room, weight room, weight room!!!

We're gonna be really freaking good.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:51 am

Peyton and Fallyn were clutch veterans. I am confident with time and experience these young players will be also. I would point to Martell as the most clutch (and most experienced) player this year. Her big 3's and drives to the basket in clutch situations were the manifestation of a seasoned, confident veteran.

With the roster currently pretty full, I don't expect to see any transfers coming into the program. I do think the inside game needs to take the biggest step next year. That is the part of the game that seems to take longer to develop with young players. It's a combination of strength and toughness along with subtle nuanced positioning that takes time to develop.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:02 pm

I think that Klein, who I believe has a nice mid range jumper (ala Deden), and Mia Hughes was recruited in mold of Peyton Ferris will be great and much needed additions in post. We were a little klunky down there as a group.

Have all this talent but need to solidify rotations to take advantage of it. Almost had it figured out last year.

Physical and mental toughness.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:25 pm

Talent is there, but not sure about the toughness. I think the attitude will come with experience. I think our ability to shoot 3s is going to be a long term positive factor, but time for someone to step up as the defensive stopper. I think Jackson has the ability, but needs to learn how to manage her energy.

The interior is going to be ok if Mocchi, Bad Bear and Lindsay have a strong summer in the weight room. I like the fact that White and Limardo can rebound with the best of them. Can we expect anything from Hein?

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:26 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:25 pm
Talent is there, but not sure about the toughness. I think the attitude will come with experience. I think our ability to shoot 3s is going to be a long term positive factor, but time for someone to step up as the defensive stopper. I think Jackson has the ability, but needs to learn how to manage her energy.

The interior is going to be ok if Mocchi, Bad Bear and Lindsay have a strong summer in the weight room. I like the fact that White and Limardo can rebound with the best of them. Can we expect anything from Hein?
Can you tell me a bit more on your thinking/comment about a defensive stopper?? Curious what you are thinking. Reason I ask is we had the Big Sky Defensive player of the year on the team and this young team ranked second in scoring defense in the conference (as well as second in offensive scoring).

The weakness I see which has been mentioned by myself and others is the toughness in the middle and rebounding. We are very much middle of the pack on both the offensive and defensive rebounding stats in the conference. That is the area which I see will take us to the next level and is needed to win championships the next several years.

Footnote: we also led the league in steals which is a defensive metric. White led league. Deden among our bigger players sure has a unique ability to deflect or punch out balls creating steals.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:57 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:26 pm
Ilikecats wrote:

Can you tell me a bit more on your thinking/comment about a defensive stopper?? Curious what you are thinking. Reason I ask is we had the Big Sky Defensive player of the year on the team and this young team ranked second in scoring defense in the conference (as well as second in offensive scoring).

The weakness I see which has been mentioned by myself and others is the toughness in the middle and rebounding. We are very much middle of the pack on both the offensive and defensive rebounding stats in the conference. That is the area which I see will take us to the next level and is needed to win championships the next several years.

Footnote: we also led the league in steals which is a defensive metric. White led league. Deden among our bigger players sure has a unique ability to deflect or punch out balls creating steals.
Darian is an excellent defensive player and deserved the defensive player of the year award! A defensive STOPPER is a player that can guard 2-3 different positions on the floor and limit the other teams leading scorer’s impact on the game. I think Madison Jackson with her size and athletic ability has that potential. It’s what Joe Dumars was to Michael Jordan.

Although Darian can disrupt a game, I’m not seeing her as a shut down defender, but she is a great defensive player. Metrics matter, but this is the type of player that their impact might not show up every night in the box score. It’s things like denying the ball and making all the hustle plays.

Deden is going to be a great Bobcat! But I only saw the stellar defense from her in one or two games. She might get there, but she wasn’t a dominant defensive player inside... I share your thoughts about our interior presence...... hoping Hein can make a difference, but I also think a full off season schedule of work outs and a healthy Skye Lindsay will have a huge impact. Those rankings you mentioned are a little deceptive. Remember we didn’t play Idaho in the regular season. Our defense wasn’t stellar against the top two teams in the conference.

We are a good defensive team, but I think we can get better!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:57 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:26 pm
Ilikecats wrote:

Darian is an excellent defensive player and deserved the defensive player of the year award! A defensive STOPPER is a player that can guard 2-3 different positions on the floor and limit the other teams leading scorer’s impact on the game. I think Madison Jackson with her size and athletic ability has that potential. It’s what Joe Dumars was to Michael Jordan.

Although Darian can disrupt a game, I’m not seeing her as a shut down defender, but she is a great defensive player. Metrics matter, but this is the type of player that their impact might not show up every night in the box score. It’s things like denying the ball and making all the hustle plays.

Deden is going to be a great Bobcat! But I only saw the stellar defense from her in one or two games. She might get there, but she wasn’t a dominant defensive player inside... I share your thoughts about our interior presence...... hoping Hein can make a difference, but I also think a full off season schedule of work outs and a healthy Skye Lindsay will have a huge impact. Those rankings you mentioned are a little deceptive. Remember we didn’t play Idaho in the regular season. Our defense wasn’t stellar against the top two teams in the conference.

We are a good defensive team, but I think we can get better!
Guess I will agree to disagree.

Darian has the 11th most steals in the entire country for ALL of women’s BB and that’s not a stopper? She led the team in defensive rebounds and those aren’t stops? Those are all extra possessions for the Cats and stopped possessions for the opponent. In the top 5 scorers in the conference the only guard was Nakai from NAU and she scored 56% of her season average in blowout losses. I never saw any one she was assigned to guard have a career night did you? The other top scorers like Davis, Gfelter, Graves, Bea are all bigger ladies who play inside or power forward and you are not going to use Darian in that role as a coach.

We were watching a different Deden. She was second in steals, also just barely behind BadBear and Jansen on blocks, and third in defensive rebounds behind Limardo and White.... all as a non+starter and limited playing time during the season. Not the stopper on the inside and power positions we want but with strength and speed growth she will be a factor.

I sure like White, VanSickle, Beattie, and Jackson defense on the perimeter for next year.

And I don’t have a Dumars identified on the team. But if everybody gets a step faster and a bit stronger....we will be better.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:46 am

I’m pretty sure I can see what you are both saying. A team actually needs more than one of these defenders. It starts with point guard (quarterback) and Darian’s got that one covered. And a team needs a standout inside. We had that covered in 2019 by Blaire Braxton. Blaire really was able to change the trajectory of a game defensively. She got a lot of help from Madeline and Fallyn. And the player that was always assigned to the teams best player/scorer if they weren’t a post or a point guard? I loved watching her — Martha Kuderer. As was said, that person might fly under the radar a bit, but that’s who Coach Bin put on the best wing/small forward. Before that it was Delaney Junkermeier. Always got to guard the dangerous player. And this year it became KJ Limardo.

Okay, so Darian’s got point. I’m hoping Blaire can work magic with Kola (is her knee bothering again?) or Gabby or Skye to take on posts. Lexi will continue to be hard on smaller players and great on help defense. And KJ has a unique combination of length and quickness.

Madison Jackson can be an absolutely terrorizing defender, particularly in transition if she can reduce her fouls and stay in the game. Her quickness and ability to get to full speed quickly is amazing. Leia Beattie often does very well in +/- which tells me her defense is coming along.

So there’s my take, and everyone’s right. We can get better, with experience and maturity and the strength that comes with it. This team has so much upside to grow into — I’m really excited about their prospects.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:01 am

We’ve had that player over the years! The best was Riley Nordgaard! She was the definition of a shut down defender! She would end the game covered with floor burns. Could draw charging fouls with the best of them. Her on court tenacity would often take the competition out of their game. Her hustle and intensity could change a game! Sometimes it got a little personal! 😂 She would often give the hard foul when needed. It would’ve been ugly if Klinker threw an elbow during a game with Riley on the court! 🦾 Riley was our enforcer!

I don’t see Darian as that type of player. She’s talented and does a tremendous job on defense, but I wouldn’t put her on Beyoncé Bea from Idaho or Ors from ISU. Her height is a factor and you’d want to keep her out of foul trouble. I was really impressed with Konate from ISU, she’s going to be a problem for the next 2 years. It’s not my intention to take anything away from Darian. I think Limardo has all the tools to develop into that type of player. Question is does she have the temperament?
Last edited by Catlady on Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:22 am

I forgot about Riley and Delaney. Also Hatchard would come in and play lights out defense. I think it’s an attitude.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:35 pm

I also forgot about Riley Nordgaard, and Rebekah Hatchard before her — I knew I was missing someone. You simply have to have one, and Trish has done a great job of finding unselfish players with the length and quickness to play defense every night, every play. Nordgaard and Junkermeier were also pretty outstanding offensive players as well, and Hatchard and Kuderer also had their moments. I’ve heard that Limardo is intensely competitive. I really focused on watching her some at the end of the season, and it was amazing to see that length moving that quickly. When do we start playing again?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:46 pm

I am intrigued by our length when Hein and Limardo get in there. Could be a lot of blocked shots and deflected passes. I would encourage Hein to lock in on defense and rebounding-let the offense come later.

Ava Ranson is going to be a great perimeter defender. Very athletic. Needs to limit turnovers and bad shots on offense. Started to show improvement in the tournament.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:56 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:46 pm
Ava Ranson is going to be a great perimeter defender. Very athletic. Needs to limit turnovers and bad shots on offense. Started to show improvement in the tournament.
I totally agree. She just walks on the court and looks like a basketball player. I’m still very high on her stock as a player.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:55 am

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:17 pm

Thanks for the link. Well that article sure clarifies things. I think most expected that Martell & Zieske were going to graduate and get on with their non-basketball careers. The real news worthy item is Binford intends to go with the 13 returning scholarship players (nobody cut & no covid scholarship expansion), award the 2 vacated schollies to Hein and Arden (really intrigued with this Aussie girl as we know so little about her) and have Mia Hughes initially walk on with an academic scholarship with the caveat that she will be first in line for the next available athletic schollie. I still think that at least one of those 13 returners will leave the team in one way or another before next fall.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:26 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:17 pm
Thanks for the link. Well that article sure clarifies things. I think most expected that Martell & Zieske were going to graduate and get on with their non-basketball careers. The real news worthy item is Binford intends to go with the 13 returning scholarship players (nobody cut & no covid scholarship expansion), award the 2 vacated schollies to Hein and Arden (really intrigued with this Aussie girl as we know so little about her) and have Mia Hughes initially walk on with an academic scholarship with the caveat that she will be first in line for the next available athletic schollie. I still think that at least one of those 13 returners will leave the team in one way or another before next fall.
Completely my perception and with no inside info: Nobody wants to leave this team, despite availability of minutes, because everybody looks like they're having so dang much fun. I hope that's case.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:16 am

Arden is going to be interesting. Somewhere along the way Coach Bin compared her very favorably to Darien. I think if she’s bringing her all the way from Australia then she must be pretty special.