NDSU and the new FCS landscape

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: NDSU and the new FCS landscape

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:31 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:00 pm
Frustrating game to watch. Neither UND or NDSU has played great but a couple big plays by NDSU has them in the lead. The officials are letting both teams play which is good, but they have missed 2 targeting calls, 1 by each team. They also haven't reviewed some close calls that would have benefited UND if overturned. UND is being outcoached big time. The top half of the MVFC is catching up to NDSU though.
Watching the Jackson State-Alabama State game too. They're much more physical, in my opinion. Lots of hits that'd be called targeting in our conference they review and decide it's just football in their games. Nice to see this many FCS games on the tube.

I guess there's 9500 in attendance watching the Dakota schools.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:38 pm

That was power football.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:23 pm

It appears the rumors of NDSU's death were greatly exaggerated...

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:43 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:23 pm
:lol: I will admit I underestimated them, but they still aren’t the same team that everyone is used to seeing. They had 200 yards of offense in the 1st quarter, and 250 the rest of the game. They did look more physical at the LOS Saturday, in the run game. UND made some mistakes early and a bad 4th down call at their own 40 in the 1st half led straight to more NDSU points. Their passing game still isn't good whether Noland or Miller is at QB. Watson had a 60 yard TD that was thrown into double coverage and played poorly by the D. Other than that they couldn't pass the ball. Their pass protection isn't very good. SDSU will be a really good test for them in a couple weeks. They are still great, I just don't think they are going to continue to be a dynasty.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:59 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:43 pm
91catAlum wrote:
:lol: I will admit I underestimated them, but they still aren’t the same team that everyone is used to seeing. They had 200 yards of offense in the 1st quarter, and 250 the rest of the game. They did look more physical at the LOS Saturday, in the run game. UND made some mistakes early and a bad 4th down call at their own 40 in the 1st half led straight to more NDSU points. Their passing game still isn't good whether Noland or Miller is at QB. Watson had a 60 yard TD that was thrown into double coverage and played poorly by the D. Other than that they couldn't pass the ball. Their pass protection isn't very good. SDSU will be a really good test for them in a couple weeks. They are still great, I just don't think they are going to continue to be a dynasty.
Plus, do we even know if they're playing starters all over, especially on the lines or just using this as an NFL pre season and letting younger guys audition? Kind of sounds like they're not playing all the key starters\contributors here.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:10 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:59 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:43 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Plus, do we even know if they're playing starters all over, especially on the lines or just using this as an NFL pre season and letting younger guys audition? Kind of sounds like they're not playing all the key starters\contributors here.
They are. 2 of their LBs, 2 DL and 2 DBs were starters in 2019. 1 corner and 1 safety are freshman and the other LB and DL guys all have a lot of experience. The TEs and WRs have all been starters or have a lot of experience and 3 OL guys were starters previously. I do know they lost Lance, one of their best WRs, their LT and starting RB in the fall though.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:15 pm

Suffice it to say nine true freshmen getting significant playtime is kind of like watching the SEC coaches putting their best players on the field. I hadn't heard anything about this young man:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football ... uth-Dakota

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Anyone else watching SDSU vs NDSU? Good game, 7 to 3. Impressed with SDSU this far

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:26 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:07 pm
Anyone else watching SDSU vs NDSU? Good game, 7 to 3. Impressed with SDSU this far
Both teams have a lot of beef on their lines. How they get the receivers who can make those catches on such poor throws always impresses me.

Both teams would do well in any of the Group of 5 conferences.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:29 pm

That catch right there even though ruled out of bounds!

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:49 pm

10 to 3. Go Jacks

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:32 pm

Jacks with the upset, 27-17. They ran all over NDSU as if they were playing the griz.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:04 am

Weber and EWU both get home games against MVFC. I am not confident either will win. But on the bright side, the two big sky schools can only play each other in the championship game. When was the last time when 2 big sky conference teams in the playoffs were in different brackets. Not that I can remember! Yes if we had three or four teams in but two of them would always play each other first.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:07 am

The committee pissed off even more people than usual with this playoff selection. 5 MVFC teams in the field! 4 of the 6 at large bids went to the MVFC. What a joke.

WSUWILDCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:47 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:04 am
Weber and EWU both get home games against MVFC. I am not confident either will win. But on the bright side, the two big sky schools can only play each other in the championship game. When was the last time when 2 big sky conference teams in the playoffs were in different brackets. Not that I can remember! Yes if we had three or four teams in but two of them would always play each other first.

Unfortunately for Eastern, they are playing in Fargo. However NDSU is not unbeatable. Big Sky as a whole got royally screwed by the committee

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:29 am

Bracket is fine. Let's see how the BSC shakes out right now. Both those games are very winnable and would be statement wins. If the conference goes 0-2, then finally we all get to put the absurd season behind us and look at the fall. Either way I'm happy.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:59 am

CatBot wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:29 am
Bracket is fine. Let's see how the BSC shakes out right now. Both those games are very winnable and would be statement wins. If the conference goes 0-2, then finally we all get to put the absurd season behind us and look at the fall. Either way I'm happy.
Gotta disagree on the bracket being fine. 5 MVFC teams in a 16 team field is a disgrace.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:22 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:59 am
CatBot wrote:
Gotta disagree on the bracket being fine. 5 MVFC teams in a 16 team field is a disgrace.
Not many obvious choices out there. I'm just hoping the BSC doesn't prove the committee correct. If this conference doesn't show it on the field, then there's no room to complain about MV bids.

This conference has a chance to run these games the same way the PAC did in the dance. Every game is winnable, including a vulnerable NDSU. Or maybe the BSC goes 0-2 and we are all embarrassed. Time to pay the rent.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:22 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
CatBot wrote:
Not many obvious choices out there. I'm just hoping the BSC doesn't prove the committee correct. If this conference doesn't show it on the field, then there's no room to complain about MV bids.

This conference has a chance to run these games the same way the PAC did in the dance. Every game is winnable, including a vulnerable NDSU. Or maybe the BSC goes 0-2 and we are all embarrassed. Time to pay the rent.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:25 pm

CatBot wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:22 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
CatBot wrote:

Murray State should have gotten in over MO State. MO State was 5-1 in conference play, 5-4 overall. 2 losses in the fall the Central Arkansas, and only played 2 of the other top 2 teams in the MVFC. Got blanked by NDSU and beat SIU, who was average at best after beating NDSU.

But I agree the BSC has a chance to make a statement. I'm not sure EWU's defense will hold up against NDSU.