NDSU and the new FCS landscape

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

NDSU and the new FCS landscape

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:21 pm

For the first time in a long time NDSU is not dominant. They are currently up 14-13 against a struggling 0-2 Illinois State (many injuries and contributors that graduated from 2019). Might be a little early. . . but I think the green and yellow monster is dead ( or at least beatable). NDSU plays UND next week and it looks like UND might very well be the favorite. What a difference a year with COVID 19 has changed things for the juggernaut.

Has anyone out there been watching any fcs football??? Any thoughts?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: NDSU and the new FCS landscape

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:20 pm

They are beatable by a lot of teams. It's very different when you don't have an NFL caliber QB. The D is not nearly the same, and it isn't because it's the spring season. They have 2 LBs that were starters in 2019, 2 DL that were starters and besides a safety and corner the whole D has experience. The OL is experienced as well and 3 guys have been starters.

UND looks like the real deal. Great D and a good offense. If they limit turnovers on offense they will be tough to beat. Sam Houston has a high powered offense and looks really good. SDSU has a freshman at QB who has been inconsistent but a really good D. I think both UND and SDSU will beat NDSU. The CAA is already beating up on each other so I'm not sure who looks good there yet. JMU is not as good as their ranking though. Will be really interesting to see how the whole season plays out and how it plays into the fall.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:02 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:21 pm
For the first time in a long time NDSU is not dominant. They are currently up 14-13 against a struggling 0-2 Illinois State (many injuries and contributors that graduated from 2019). Might be a little early. . . but I think the green and yellow monster is dead ( or at least beatable). NDSU plays UND next week and it looks like UND might very well be the favorite. What a difference a year with COVID 19 has changed things for the juggernaut.

Has anyone out there been watching any fcs football??? Any thoughts?
Yeah but they have a new QB for the fall so this may be an anomaly.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:16 am

I just don't buy it yet. Programs like that don't just fall off a cliff. They might have a tough year and come right back. If I'm wrong I'll be happy.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:01 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:16 am
I just don't buy it yet. Programs like that don't just fall off a cliff. They might have a tough year and come right back. If I'm wrong I'll be happy.
I don't think they have have fallen off a cliff by any means. They just aren't the dynastic juggernaut anymore. Even their new QB in the fall isn't going to push them right back into that spot. He's not an accurate passer, and in their offense that's what they need.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:44 pm

NDSU has a true freshman who replaced Noland and looks way better. I don’t think Zeb will QB another game for them. Then they have a Va Tech FBS drop down who is eligible for the fall. He was a 4 star player out of high school. Unfortunately the bison will be one of the top teams in FCS again this fall. This spring season doesn’t mean ******.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:48 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:01 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
I don't think they have have fallen off a cliff by any means. They just aren't the dynastic juggernaut anymore. Even their new QB in the fall isn't going to push them right back into that spot. He's not an accurate passer, and in their offense that's what they need.
That's fair, I don't think anybody is saying they've dropped off a cliff. But I won't even believe they've taken a step back (outside of a meaningless spring season) until they don't win the national championship for a few years.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:47 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:48 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
That's fair, I don't think anybody is saying they've dropped off a cliff. But I won't even believe they've taken a step back (outside of a meaningless spring season) until they don't win the national championship for a few years.
I think und comes in and beats ndsu handily. From what I’m reading it’s not just a qb issue, but also ndsu is losing the line of scrimmage battles. I’m going to try and watch this weekend, but didn’t sound anything like the ndsu I watched in 2019. I’m thinking this is an ndsu team the top 10 teams can beat. I guess we will see

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:53 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:47 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:48 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
I think und comes in and beats ndsu handily. From what I’m reading it’s not just a qb issue, but also ndsu is losing the line of scrimmage battles. I’m going to try and watch this weekend, but didn’t sound anything like the ndsu I watched in 2019. I’m thinking this is an ndsu team the top 10 teams can beat. I guess we will see
The LOS has been a problem for them. They aren't running the ball the way they normally do, and the pass protection hasn't been great. Still a decent per rush avg, but they do a lot of 1 and 2 yard runs, then have a big one now and again. I do think UND will beat them next weekend. 10-14 point win I'd say.

MTnative

Post by MTnative » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:27 pm

The entire NDSU fanbase probably thinks the bison have fallen off a cliff.

Have they? No, but they are teetering precariously. The dominance of the past 8 years isn't what we are seeing. But this is a weird season too, so that may play a part in the product on the field, however small it may be.

I'd say there is a very high probability that NDSU doesn't make it past the semis this year. Others have already said it, but UND looks very stout. I'm glad they're not in the BSC anymore from that standpoint. My money is on the whioux on Saturday.

Catgotmytung
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Catgotmytung » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:55 am

I concur with the above. I know they still have Christian Watkins (who ate us up) and some size on their d-line and o-line but with the loss of players from the 2019 team, there's no way they'll be the same team. I also think UND will enjoy this upcoming game. But with what they've had going for them in the program, it's hard to believe they'll only be an average team in the fall.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:58 pm

Don't underestimate the mental part of winning the game. UND has been the little brother so long they may figure out a way to blow the game even if they have the better team.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

RockyBearCat

Post by RockyBearCat » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:21 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:58 pm
Don't underestimate the mental part of winning the game. UND has been the little brother so long they may figure out a way to blow the game even if they have the better team.
Agreed on this aspect. Remember a lot of years when Cats have far better record and lost or far worse and won with the Griz. This is a huge mental hurdle for UND to prove they can surpass.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:00 am

Nobody is watching FCS football right now and it was a stupid idea. Glad MSU and UM passed on this nonsense.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:47 am

RockyBearCat wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:21 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Agreed on this aspect. Remember a lot of years when Cats have far better record and lost or far worse and won with the Griz. This is a huge mental hurdle for UND to prove they can surpass.
Oddsmakers have NDSU -3.5 so not totally convinced by UND yet.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:30 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:47 am
RockyBearCat wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
I'm interested in seeing NDSU's freshman quarterback more than anything. Their line has looked a lot better than against Southern Illinois but most of that was on their quarterback. Their timing and the entire offense looked better when the young freshman came in. Wonder if they'll have much competition in the fall if the kid plays as well as when he came in last week.

It's nice to see somebody on the tube other than Jackson State on ESPN too. Should be one heck of a game.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:48 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:30 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
RockyBearCat wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
I'm interested in seeing NDSU's freshman quarterback more than anything. Their line has looked a lot better than against Southern Illinois but most of that was on their quarterback. Their timing and the entire offense looked better when the young freshman came in. Wonder if they'll have much competition in the fall if the kid plays as well as when he came in last week.

It's nice to see somebody on the tube other than Jackson State on ESPN too. Should be one heck of a game.
Miller definitely gives them a bigger running threat, which has always been important for their offense. We'll see how he does against a top 30 defense. And how their D does against a top 20 offense. UNDs lines are going match up well. The line is probably where it's at because it's in Fargo. After watching both teams play several times this spring I'm expecting a 7-10 point UND win.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:10 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:48 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
RockyBearCat wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

Miller definitely gives them a bigger running threat, which has always been important for their offense. We'll see how he does against a top 30 defense. And how their D does against a top 20 offense. UNDs lines are going match up well. The line is probably where it's at because it's in Fargo. After watching both teams play several times this spring I'm expecting a 7-10 point UND win.
Obviously I don't have a horse in this race but either way I'm going to have a lot of fun with the relatives who went to both schools. I'm continually impressed with how well NDSU is coached and I always felt UND was better suited for the MVFC than the conference MSU is in. And you're right, the lines are going to be something to watch in this game.

For what it's worth, and not to derail this thread, but have you seen the size and the weight room data for the linemen in Missoula? Damn!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:23 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:48 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
RockyBearCat wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

Are you watching the pregame show? Nine true freshmen with all these spring games won't be true freshmen this fall. Lots of experience gained this spring. Beats the hell out of watching bouncy ball knowing it's a one and done deal.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:00 pm

Frustrating game to watch. Neither UND or NDSU has played great but a couple big plays by NDSU has them in the lead. The officials are letting both teams play which is good, but they have missed 2 targeting calls, 1 by each team. They also haven't reviewed some close calls that would have benefited UND if overturned. UND is being outcoached big time. The top half of the MVFC is catching up to NDSU though.