Mike Hood into portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Mike Hood into portal

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:46 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Mike Hood into portal

Post by CelticCat » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:01 pm

Not surprised. He wants to be the dude, the scorer. Nothing wrong with that but he wasn’t going to find that here.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:09 pm

He saw a pretty significant decline in minutes at the end of the season. The championship game was the only tournament game he even played in. I'm sure that didn't work for him, and I can't say I blame him for wanting to find a better fit. Best of luck to him.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:37 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:09 pm
He saw a pretty significant decline in minutes at the end of the season. The championship game was the only tournament game he even played in. I'm sure that didn't work for him, and I can't say I blame him for wanting to find a better fit. Best of luck to him.
I think his time dropped as Tynes’ increased.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:19 pm

Gonna be interesting to see if Bishop comes back for another senior season. If not, we need another point guard. I can see Sprinkle hitting the transfer market hard for one.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:26 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:19 pm
Gonna be interesting to see if Bishop comes back for another senior season. If not, we need another point guard. I can see Sprinkle hitting the transfer market hard for one.
Why would he? If you played the game for 4 seasons..... what do you gain by another season? Going to be interesting to see how many seniors actually come back for another season. I think they should get on with life and move to the next phase! How will they handle team records? I’m sure if Martell came back she would break the 3 PT record, but would it have an asterisk? Why would any player want to play 5 years?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:14 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:26 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Why would he? If you played the game for 4 seasons..... what do you gain by another season? Going to be interesting to see how many seniors actually come back for another season. I think they should get on with life and move to the next phase! How will they handle team records? I’m sure if Martell came back she would break the 3 PT record, but would it have an asterisk? Why would any player want to play 5 years?
Get a Masters degree. Love playing basketball. Love college life. Doesn’t want to go out and get a real job. Wants to win a championship.
Last edited by AFCAT on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:15 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Because he loves basketball, probably won’t ever play in any professional capacity, and wants to go dancing? Why wouldn’t you come back for a free year of playing D1 hoops?

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:45 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:15 pm
Ilikecats wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Because he loves basketball, probably won’t ever play in any professional capacity, and wants to go dancing? Why wouldn’t you come back for a free year of playing D1 hoops?
Being a realist here. This EWU is taking the same path the Griz squad with Rorie-Akoh-Oguine-Manuel-Pridgett-Dorsey did. They win the first chip as juniors, and come back and are clear favorites and the rest of the conference needs pretty much a damn miracle to beat them. That EWU team had 2 seniors. Only one senior started. EWU is a massive road block for the conference next year barring any major changes.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:47 pm

I guess we just got to get better'n them!

2024 Resume dominance

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:30 am

That’s a bummer. Anyone know why his playing time dropped off so significantly the 2nd half of the season?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:43 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:30 am
That’s a bummer. Anyone know why his playing time dropped off so significantly the 2nd half of the season?
My guess would be one word-defense. Or lack of it. Tynes needs to develop his jump shot, but he brings a real spark to the team and he did a great job slowing down the other team’s best scoring guard.

Also, during one of the last regular season games, Alex E reported on SWX that X said he was returning next year. I don’t think DK or Muhammad are returning, but maybe Adamu may want to return.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:04 am

These guys need to move on with life after college. If they’ve graduated it’s time to move on and achieve great things! It’s awesome playing college sports, but there comes a time when the next class needs to have the privilege. The next class will only have 4 years of eligibility and will lose court time to players on their 5th year, maybe 6th with a redshirt year. I get the whole red shirt thing, but 5 years of court time in college is nuts. How do you fund it? Are schools still limited to the number of scholarships per year?

Catbasketball20
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Catbasketball20 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 am

Adamu and Bishop will be back. DK and Abdul will not. I think those two coming back are the big reasons behind why Caleb and Mike left. It's unfortunate but that's what the NCAA allowed. I'm excited to see Bishop and Amin back because they get one more shot at a title. But, I feel for Caleb and Mike. It will be interesting in how it will clog up the new guys coming in too. Redshirts, transfers again. We'll see!

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:58 pm

Did my research __ Hood comes from the prep school program Link Year... The goes to CSI. The Link Year head is an Idaho guy.

As of today Hood is the sixth (6th) Link Year prep kid to enter the portal in 2021... Today's number passed #586 and climbing once torney starts and teams are eliminated.

Would agree with some additional posts __ This player was about minutes/stats and none happened as was major liability on the defensive side. He will head back somewhere near KC or where Link Year Prep steps back-in and guides him to his next home for season # 5.... Prep schools in my opinion is nothing more then senior HS + one year and getting grades created for NCAA approval.

BABY SITTING

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm

All the best Mike. I hope you find a great fit. You will always be a part of the Bobcat family.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:54 pm

Catlady wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:04 am
These guys need to move on with life after college. If they’ve graduated it’s time to move on and achieve great things! It’s awesome playing college sports, but there comes a time when the next class needs to have the privilege. The next class will only have 4 years of eligibility and will lose court time to players on their 5th year, maybe 6th with a redshirt year. I get the whole red shirt thing, but 5 years of court time in college is nuts. How do you fund it? Are schools still limited to the number of scholarships per year?
Do you feel the same about football? There are whole lot of seniors on the football team that have already graduated. This year was like no other when it came to a true basketball season. The players went through a lot, including a shortened season with few if any fans. Maybe, they just want one true final year and not something like what we saw this past season. Maybe, we should have answers to your questions before making a judgement.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:03 pm

Catlady wrote:
What about all the games that were cancelled, or the fact that they didn't get to play in front of fans, or have a normal college experience due to you know, a global pandemic? Look at the football team, these guys didn't even get to play a single year - should they be punished for that?

The NCAA agreed there were extra hardships this year and thus granted everyone a free year. It is going to create headaches for sure, but I feel the free year was justified. Now it's up to schools and players on how to handle it.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:26 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:54 pm
Catlady wrote:
Do you feel the same about football? There are whole lot of seniors on the football team that have already graduated. This year was like no other when it came to a true basketball season. The players went through a lot, including a shortened season with few if any fans. Maybe, they just want one true final year and not something like what we saw this past season. Maybe, we should have answers to your questions before making a judgement.
Already graduating isn’t a concern, my questions is basically should a player have 5 whole years of on court/field eligibility. What about last years wbb team? Should they get another year because the tourney and ncaa’s were canceled? That team went through a lot! Some sports never play in front of a crowd..... should they get an extra year or two? My opinion is you get 4 years on the court/field. You get one year to redshirt (5th) year, but you don’t actively participate 5 complete seasons! I love sports and enjoy the competition. There are college athletes who come into MSU at the age of 19. Redshirt a year and the start their redshirt/ freshmen year at 20. They will literally play college hoops or football until they’re 25-26! I know BYU currently does that due to missions, but players only play 4 complete seasons, not 5. Did they give extra years of eligibility when soldiers were drafted? They still only got 4 seasons!

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:07 pm

Football players season was delayed. Basketball season might of missed a couple of games, but they’re well on the way to completing regular season and the tournaments. I’m not sure why they got a free year of eligibility. I’ll take Darian on the court for 5 years. But I guess Klinker from Idaho can come back too! Do our recruits for next year get a free year? I guess coaches can still tell a players there’s not a spot for them. What’s the roster limitation on a team?