Big Sky WBB Tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:07 am

Cats are seeded #3 which gets them a bye in the first round. Will play winner of Sac State and Montana. Grizzlies will likely win that game, so we could see a Cat/Griz rematch Tuesday! Go Cats!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:51 pm

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:03 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:07 am
Cats are seeded #3 which gets them a bye in the first round. Will play winner of Sac State and Montana. Grizzlies will likely win that game, so we could see a Cat/Griz rematch Tuesday! Go Cats!
If I read correctly the tipoff is not until 8 p.m. and you know how it is in a tournament with games running over in time, overtime, etc.

It is likely to be later. That's a pretty late start time. Go CATS!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:21 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:03 pm
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:07 am
If I read correctly the tipoff is not until 8 p.m. and you know how it is in a tournament with games running over in time, overtime, etc.

It is likely to be later. That's a pretty late start time. Go CATS!
Boy I hope not with 3 hours between games and games typically a bit under 2 hours. With all the housecleaning between games I guess it could be....they are not allowing us entry until 30 min before game time.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:46 pm

Portland State runs over Eastern Washington 71-51. Three years in a row in the tournament. Idaho State awaits.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:35 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:46 pm
Portland State runs over Eastern Washington 71-51. Three years in a row in the tournament. Idaho State awaits.
Not that it matters but this was the 4th year in a row that PSU eliminated EWU. That's gotta hurt like snake bit.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:53 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:35 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:46 pm
Not that it matters but this was the 4th year in a row that PSU eliminated EWU. That's gotta hurt like snake bit.
Thanks! Serves me right for thinking that’s what I heard the announcers say. Four years — that’s truly snake bit. They need to get away from them in the standings. It would truly get in your head when there’s only one chance a year to fix it.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:32 pm

NAU and PSU are playing very well right now, and the Idaho's better show up. I know rivaly games are always a wildcard in tournaments, but I'm pretty sure dUMb is the weakest team in the 6-8 range. We'll see how they stack up tonight against SSU. I can see it going either way.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 pm

I know we’ve talked about this before, but Cut Bank’s Keithan Gregg and his wife are assistant coaches for PSU. Pretty cool.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:47 pm

Looks like the big upset of the night belongs to Sac State who are about to knock off the lady griz. I'll tell you what-if this Sac State bunch ever learns to use their powers for good they will be scary. They're kinda all over the place though. The lg couldn't hit anything. I've seldom seen a team go so cold. Tough deal for Petrino-wonder what they're gonna do.

Bobcats vs. Hornets tomorrow night. I do like our chances, but Sac has about 3 Oliana Squires type players that can do that little one-handed finger roll layup. If they hit their threes like they did the other night they can keep it close.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:55 pm

Major upset in Boise! I think Sac State is a dangerous team!

I like our chances, but rebounding and defense is going to be huge! I think our depth will make the difference!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:57 pm

That was U-G-L-Y. Kudos to Sac for pulling it out after falling behind quickly. MSU should win easily tomorrow with anything other than an abysmal showing on offense, but stranger things have happened!

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:59 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:57 pm
That was U-G-L-Y. Kudos to Sac for pulling it out after falling behind quickly. MSU should win easily tomorrow with anything other than an abysmal showing on offense, but stranger things have happened!
I agree. Sac had gritty efforts by some players. They will be tired tomorrow.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:00 pm

We’d best not relax just because the griz are headed home. I think the close call against Sac St. last week will still be remembered.

That flock of little guards can be troublesome. Their roster lists one center, two forwards, and everyone else as guards. But Mende, #11, was the one that really saved their bacon from the grizzly bears tonight. Big-time performance down the stretch.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:04 pm

Originally I was hoping to play UM so we could beat them three times in one year. However, I'm sorry, I just have a hard time understanding why the Big Sky Conference cannot find unbiased announcers. These two UM announcers are simply not appropriate for a supposedly neutral tournament setting. Therefore I ended up pulling for Sac State. Mainly because I JUST don't want to hear those UM announcers tomorrow night cheering on their Griz.

Cats better be ready. It will be tough game.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:18 pm

Lady griz played like they did in the 24 point blowout loss to the Bobcats. If MSU plays hard defense and isn't ice cold shooting, they will win comfortably.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:40 pm

aucat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:04 pm
Originally I was hoping to play UM so we could beat them three times in one year. However, I'm sorry, I just have a hard time understanding why the Big Sky Conference cannot find unbiased announcers. These two UM announcers are simply not appropriate for a supposedly neutral tournament setting. Therefore I ended up pulling for Sac State. Mainly because I JUST don't want to hear those UM announcers tomorrow night cheering on their Griz.

I'm with you on that about the announcers, The one that does the color commentary makes it clear from tip to finish that her favorite color is maroon. It should make anyone not a griz want to puke.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:49 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:40 pm
aucat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:04 pm

I'm with you on that about the announcers, The one that does the color commentary makes it clear from tip to finish that her favorite color is maroon. It should make anyone not a griz want to puke.
Totally agree. Before the game started, one asked what it would take for each team to win. Then they went on and on about the lady griz until tip off and didn't mention anything about Sac. I know at least one (Krista Redpath) is a former griz.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:00 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:00 pm
We’d best not relax just because the griz are headed home. I think the close call against Sac St. last week will still be remembered.

That flock of little guards can be troublesome. Their roster lists one center and everyone else as guards. But Menke, #11, was the one that really saved their bacon from the grizzly bears tonight. Big-time performance down the stretch.
Menke definitely was their leader and along with Enger and Olivares they come at you with 3 very good ball handlers. Tonight they had 5 players in double figures, that's dang good balance. As river posted above they put lots of effort into that game and it may show up tomorrow night if we can make them hustle hard from the get go. Did anyone else notice Menke grimacing and walking with a slight limp coming out of one of the last time outs late in the game? It didn't look like just fatigue to me but more like she had some real hurt going on.

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:16 am

Sac State is a scrappy team....and they play hard....Cats will have their hands full. Looking forward to this one.