Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
AFCAT
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3626
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:02 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:39 pm
I've got him going undefeated & winning the Natty in his first year, with a 100% graduation rate at 3.0+ GPA average, breaking attendance records, earning Big Sky & Nat'l Coach of the Year - earning him $605,437.00 PLUS a company Chrysler convertible Sebring, unlimited pool access at the country club, and season tickets to all local high school hoops games. And after all that success, he gets fired and makes another $250k!

Image
If we hire 80 more head football coaches and have then move on to another job right away, get the $250K from their new school for each coach, then we can fund the new indoor training facility in no time.


Help the Cats! Join the quarterback club!!
https://www.bobcatquarterbackclub.com
Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
406-994-2092

User avatar
Camo_Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:07 am
Location: In a tree stand

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:42 pm

My only trepidation is that I still have PTSD and night sweats from the last time we hired a coach from North Dakota. Uffda......




lutecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by lutecat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:20 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:19 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:25 pm
I can’t believe people are still defending what Fields did here with the buyout. It was a ****** move.
And I can't believe anybody is still salty about it but here we are.
I’m not defending Fields - never was much of a fan of his. I hated it for the program, regardless of everything else, it looked terrible for MSU. It made sense financially, and I understood the reason for it. Still didn’t like it though from a fan’s perspective.

I got why NDSU fans were upset at the time. If the roles were reversed, I would have been pissed. But they should have been pissed at their AD for negotiating a stupid contract, and for getting played by a guy like Fields. Still, they’ve now gotten to kick our asses twice in the playoffs at their little wussy dome, so the fact that so many of them are still butthurt about that game is ridiculous.
This is the correct answer. We can be upset/disappointed as fans, but the decision had zero to do with being afraid to lose. Yes it did look bad but it was a business decision, plain and simple.

Your last line is the part that just gets me - it happened years ago but NDSU fans still are sensitive about it. The fact that they are the most dominate dynasty the FCS has ever seen makes it all the more astounding how absolutely petty and sensitive they are.
The best players out there find little slights to play up big in their minds. The best of the best. I get it. I don't take issue with it. And makes me want to beat them all the more.



lutecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by lutecat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:22 pm

I have to say, his college # was 84, he has a connection to Kelley Bradley, his presser was on an anniversary, things are just lining up boys and girls. He's bringing home a Natty!



lutecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by lutecat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:24 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:25 pm
rollo_tumasi wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:48 pm
Will his kids be Hawks or Raptors?
Oooh good question.
We should want him to live in Belgrade. Let's get Eric a good QB. He's a Bobcat alum. Hook him up!



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10422
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Upper Northwest WA
Contact:

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:46 pm

lutecat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:20 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:19 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:25 pm
I can’t believe people are still defending what Fields did here with the buyout. It was a ****** move.
And I can't believe anybody is still salty about it but here we are.
I’m not defending Fields - never was much of a fan of his. I hated it for the program, regardless of everything else, it looked terrible for MSU. It made sense financially, and I understood the reason for it. Still didn’t like it though from a fan’s perspective.

I got why NDSU fans were upset at the time. If the roles were reversed, I would have been pissed. But they should have been pissed at their AD for negotiating a stupid contract, and for getting played by a guy like Fields. Still, they’ve now gotten to kick our asses twice in the playoffs at their little wussy dome, so the fact that so many of them are still butthurt about that game is ridiculous.
This is the correct answer. We can be upset/disappointed as fans, but the decision had zero to do with being afraid to lose. Yes it did look bad but it was a business decision, plain and simple.

Your last line is the part that just gets me - it happened years ago but NDSU fans still are sensitive about it. The fact that they are the most dominate dynasty the FCS has ever seen makes it all the more astounding how absolutely petty and sensitive they are.
The best players out there find little slights to play up big in their minds. The best of the best. I get it. I don't take issue with it. And makes me want to beat them all the more.
Image


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

User avatar
coloradocat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 955
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by coloradocat » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:51 pm



Josh Allen / Coach Vigen interview from a few years ago.


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcr-MPCJKc

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:24 am

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by Norsky19 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:00 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:51 pm


Josh Allen / Coach Vigen interview from a few years ago.
Fun challenge. See if Coach ever starts an answer with a word other than "Well..." :lol:



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7781
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:37 am

Norsky19 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:00 am
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:51 pm


Josh Allen / Coach Vigen interview from a few years ago.
Fun challenge. See if Coach ever starts an answer with a word other than "Well..." :lol:
Well yeah sure ya betcha!

The man is obviously a North Dakotan.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

User avatar
thefrank1
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:39 pm

My brother in law, a retired UW professor, is really mad we stole Brent. We are invading Laramie in September to rub it in!!


While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

DBARNETT1953
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:58 am

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by DBARNETT1953 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:59 pm

Reformed Griz fan here, as I lived in Missoula until I was 17, and then enrolled at MSU and discovered Montana's finest University. There is only 1 measure of success for a Head Football coach at either school; that is Cat-Griz victories. If Vigen goes 4:0 or 3:1 then he gets a new contract after 4 years. If he goes 0:4 or 1:3 then he probably does not. If he goes 2:2 then they will look at other things such as Big Sky or Playoff success. Those are nice, but really only icing on the cake. Beating the Griz is the cake!



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5003
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm

DBARNETT1953 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Reformed Griz fan here, as I lived in Missoula until I was 17, and then enrolled at MSU and discovered Montana's finest University. There is only 1 measure of success for a Head Football coach at either school; that is Cat-Griz victories. If Vigen goes 4:0 or 3:1 then he gets a new contract after 4 years. If he goes 0:4 or 1:3 then he probably does not. If he goes 2:2 then they will look at other things such as Big Sky or Playoff success. Those are nice, but really only icing on the cake. Beating the Griz is the cake!
Totally disagree.



User avatar
coloradocat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 955
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by coloradocat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:36 pm

DBARNETT1953 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Reformed Griz fan here, as I lived in Missoula until I was 17, and then enrolled at MSU and discovered Montana's finest University. There is only 1 measure of success for a Head Football coach at either school; that is Cat-Griz victories. If Vigen goes 4:0 or 3:1 then he gets a new contract after 4 years. If he goes 0:4 or 1:3 then he probably does not. If he goes 2:2 then they will look at other things such as Big Sky or Playoff success. Those are nice, but really only icing on the cake. Beating the Griz is the cake!
Other than the fact that you disagree with yourself you're right that when you've got no other measurable success then Cat-griz is the only measure. If you're at all successful outside of that game then there are multiple measures.

That explains why Ash (here we go again) lasted so long. He won 3 conference championships and made the playoffs 4 times but he only won Cat-griz 2 times (by a combined 14 points) while losing 7 times by a combined 153 points (46 over the last two games). You can only get blown out in Cat-griz so many times without making the playoffs and keep your job. Those last two games were enough to fire Ash but there were other reasons as well.


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcr-MPCJKc

WyoCowboy
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:27 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by WyoCowboy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:31 pm

You guys got a great guy and coach, excited to see how it goes up there! Good Luck to the Cats besides the one on Sept. 4th!



User avatar
BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Boise, ID

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm
DBARNETT1953 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Reformed Griz fan here, as I lived in Missoula until I was 17, and then enrolled at MSU and discovered Montana's finest University. There is only 1 measure of success for a Head Football coach at either school; that is Cat-Griz victories. If Vigen goes 4:0 or 3:1 then he gets a new contract after 4 years. If he goes 0:4 or 1:3 then he probably does not. If he goes 2:2 then they will look at other things such as Big Sky or Playoff success. Those are nice, but really only icing on the cake. Beating the Griz is the cake!
Totally disagree.
x100 million. National championship is the cake, Big Sky championship is the icing. Beating the griz is a nice glass of wine to go with the cake.


GO CATS GO!!!

Image

User avatar
84CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm
DBARNETT1953 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Reformed Griz fan here, as I lived in Missoula until I was 17, and then enrolled at MSU and discovered Montana's finest University. There is only 1 measure of success for a Head Football coach at either school; that is Cat-Griz victories. If Vigen goes 4:0 or 3:1 then he gets a new contract after 4 years. If he goes 0:4 or 1:3 then he probably does not. If he goes 2:2 then they will look at other things such as Big Sky or Playoff success. Those are nice, but really only icing on the cake. Beating the Griz is the cake!
Totally disagree.
x100 million. National championship is the cake, Big Sky championship is the icing. Beating the griz is a nice glass of wine to go with the cake.
Beating the Griz is ALL that matters to me. To each his own.



Catsrgrood
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm
Location: Billings

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:56 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm
DBARNETT1953 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Reformed Griz fan here, as I lived in Missoula until I was 17, and then enrolled at MSU and discovered Montana's finest University. There is only 1 measure of success for a Head Football coach at either school; that is Cat-Griz victories. If Vigen goes 4:0 or 3:1 then he gets a new contract after 4 years. If he goes 0:4 or 1:3 then he probably does not. If he goes 2:2 then they will look at other things such as Big Sky or Playoff success. Those are nice, but really only icing on the cake. Beating the Griz is the cake!
Totally disagree.
x100 million. National championship is the cake, Big Sky championship is the icing. Beating the griz is a nice glass of wine to go with the cake.
Beating the Griz is ALL that matters to me. To each his own.
Really?
I LOVE beating the Griz. But there is more.

If you told me that in the next 10 years we’d win 2-3 national championships and a handful of big sky titles, but we’d go 2-8 against the griz in that time, I’d take those national championships every time.



User avatar
84CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:56 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm
DBARNETT1953 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Reformed Griz fan here, as I lived in Missoula until I was 17, and then enrolled at MSU and discovered Montana's finest University. There is only 1 measure of success for a Head Football coach at either school; that is Cat-Griz victories. If Vigen goes 4:0 or 3:1 then he gets a new contract after 4 years. If he goes 0:4 or 1:3 then he probably does not. If he goes 2:2 then they will look at other things such as Big Sky or Playoff success. Those are nice, but really only icing on the cake. Beating the Griz is the cake!
Totally disagree.
x100 million. National championship is the cake, Big Sky championship is the icing. Beating the griz is a nice glass of wine to go with the cake.
Beating the Griz is ALL that matters to me. To each his own.
Really?
I LOVE beating the Griz. But there is more.

If you told me that in the next 10 years we’d win 2-3 national championships and a handful of big sky titles, but we’d go 2-8 against the griz in that time, I’d take those national championships every time.
Really. Sure I want 'ships. But beating those a@@holes, who OWNED us for so long and made us feel irrelevant, is what butters my bread. Even a 'ship, in a year we lost to those dickh@@ds, would feel tainted. Just how I feel about it.



AFCAT
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3626
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by AFCAT » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:02 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:56 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm
DBARNETT1953 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Reformed Griz fan here, as I lived in Missoula until I was 17, and then enrolled at MSU and discovered Montana's finest University. There is only 1 measure of success for a Head Football coach at either school; that is Cat-Griz victories. If Vigen goes 4:0 or 3:1 then he gets a new contract after 4 years. If he goes 0:4 or 1:3 then he probably does not. If he goes 2:2 then they will look at other things such as Big Sky or Playoff success. Those are nice, but really only icing on the cake. Beating the Griz is the cake!
Totally disagree.
x100 million. National championship is the cake, Big Sky championship is the icing. Beating the griz is a nice glass of wine to go with the cake.
Beating the Griz is ALL that matters to me. To each his own.
Really?
I LOVE beating the Griz. But there is more.

If you told me that in the next 10 years we’d win 2-3 national championships and a handful of big sky titles, but we’d go 2-8 against the griz in that time, I’d take those national championships every time.
Really. Sure I want 'ships. But beating those a@@holes, who OWNED us for so long and made us feel irrelevant, is what butters my bread. Even a 'ship, in a year we lost to those dickh@@ds, would feel tainted. Just how I feel about it.
Yeah, all you would hear is; “How can you be National Champs when you didn’t even win the state of Montana?”


Help the Cats! Join the quarterback club!!
https://www.bobcatquarterbackclub.com
Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
406-994-2092

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5003
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:11 am

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:02 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:56 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm
DBARNETT1953 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Reformed Griz fan here, as I lived in Missoula until I was 17, and then enrolled at MSU and discovered Montana's finest University. There is only 1 measure of success for a Head Football coach at either school; that is Cat-Griz victories. If Vigen goes 4:0 or 3:1 then he gets a new contract after 4 years. If he goes 0:4 or 1:3 then he probably does not. If he goes 2:2 then they will look at other things such as Big Sky or Playoff success. Those are nice, but really only icing on the cake. Beating the Griz is the cake!
Totally disagree.
x100 million. National championship is the cake, Big Sky championship is the icing. Beating the griz is a nice glass of wine to go with the cake.
Beating the Griz is ALL that matters to me. To each his own.
Really?
I LOVE beating the Griz. But there is more.

If you told me that in the next 10 years we’d win 2-3 national championships and a handful of big sky titles, but we’d go 2-8 against the griz in that time, I’d take those national championships every time.
Really. Sure I want 'ships. But beating those a@@holes, who OWNED us for so long and made us feel irrelevant, is what butters my bread. Even a 'ship, in a year we lost to those dickh@@ds, would feel tainted. Just how I feel about it.
Yeah, all you would hear is; “How can you be National Champs when you didn’t even win the state of Montana?”
And the people saying that would be morons. :lol:



Post Reply