Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:38 pm

Wow...I never put together the Gus Bradley/Kelly Bradley connection. Vigen said Gus (coached Brent at NDSU before he moved up) gave him advice on taking the job at MSU. Gus is the DC for the LV Raiders and of course was the head coach down in Jacksonville. And I had no clue he was former MSU QB Kelly Bradley's brother.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:44 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:32 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:28 pm
Vigen: "#1 goal is to beat the Griz. That didn't make it into Twitter or whatever last week but that's at the top."

:lol:
And I know there has been discussion about "winning a conference championship isn't as important" because of how seeding works...but I disagree. Winning the conference title with a great record could mean home-field which is where NDSU makes their money in the postseason. NDSU may not be as dominant over the years if they had to go on the road in a few of those playoffs. If we could get a semifinal game in Bobcat Stadium, our odds of winning that football game almost double in my opinion.
Not to mention fewer at large bids in the coming years.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:51 pm

I absolutely love that Vigen cares more about beating the Grizzlies because it offers the possibility of hosting more home playoff games than because they are our in-state rivals. This is a coach that is focused upon one thing: winning national championships. I understand that many value beating UM more than anything, but give me a national championship any day of the week.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:56 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:38 pm
Wow...I never put together the Gus Bradley/Kelly Bradley connection. Vigen said Gus (coached Brent at NDSU before he moved up) gave him advice on taking the job at MSU. Gus is the DC for the LV Raiders and of course was the head coach down in Jacksonville. And I had no clue he was former MSU QB Kelly Bradley's brother.
You're not alone. I just figured that out about a year ago. Crazy.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:03 pm

Can't wait for him to get to work. He's a smart dude, and I think he'll connect with the players pretty easily. I think he understands the rivalry and how it's more than just one game and it's more than bragging rights. Having been in Wyoming and ND, he understands Montana and will do just fine with the small town kids, families, coaches, donors, etc. I've known a lot of people from North Dakota and some are just good old boys, but a lot are just a unique kind of hard worker; humble, quiet, determined, principled, and understated. They are impressive people, and he seems like one of those, and I like that.

On another note, Waded Cruzado is awesome.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:19 pm

I hadn't had a chance to hear him so it was great to listen. Looking forward to see how he molds the team.

As a fun sidenote, you heard President Cruzado give a shout-out to the basketball team for Molly's benefit. And you might have seen Coach Binford giving a WBB tee to Molly post conference. Molly played on the NDSU WBB DII championship team as a freshman and runner-up team as a senior. I know, I know this is the football thread...but I thought that was a nice gesture.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:40 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:38 pm
Yeah, that surprised me too.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:48 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Vigen: "#1 goal is to beat the Griz. That didn't make it into Twitter or whatever last week but that's at the top."

And I know there has been discussion about "winning a conference championship isn't as important" because of how seeding works...but I disagree. Winning the conference title with a great record could mean home-field which is where NDSU makes their money in the postseason. NDSU may not be as dominant over the years if they had to go on the road in a few of those playoffs. If we could get a semifinal game in Bobcat Stadium, our odds of winning that football game almost double in my opinion.
The Cats would still have to be ranked in the top 2 in the nation to be guaranteed home playoff games throughout the playoffs (still gotta win them all too) and number 1 to guarantee a home playoff game against NDSU. However, I'd love to see the Cats face NDSU at Bobcat Stadium again or on a neutral site, like Frisco.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:00 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:48 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

The Cats would still have to be ranked in the top 2 in the nation to be guaranteed home playoff games throughout the playoffs (still gotta win them all too) and number 1 to guarantee a home playoff game against NDSU. However, I'd love to see the Cats face NDSU at Bobcat Stadium again or on a neutral site, like Frisco.
A whole lot easier to fill an indoor stadium in December than the east side bleachers.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:00 pm

I was hoping that Coach Vigen would use the press conference as an opportunity to also announce the new Defensive Coordinator but, alas, no.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:02 pm

Random note-

I like that he has 3 sons, the oldest being a junior in highschool...

No idea if they are good football players or not, but when both yer parents were college athletes and yer dad is a college football coach..... that usually helps... not to mention Vigen is a pretty big dude.....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:05 pm

I’m excited to see what he can do. Him and choate have some drastic differences with their personalities (not saying that’s a bad thing). But I think they have a lot in common with the type of football they want on the field, team culture, etc.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:06 pm

vike_king wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:00 pm
I was hoping that Coach Vigen would use the press conference as an opportunity to also announce the new Defensive Coordinator but, alas, no.
I believe he said that would happen on Friday, probably before 5:00pm. :D

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:18 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:02 pm
Random note-

No idea if they are good football players or not, but when both yer parents were college athletes and yer dad is a college football coach..... that usually helps... not to mention Vigen is a pretty big dude.....
I think his son is a QB.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:19 pm

Does this mean names are back on the jerseys? :twisted:

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:19 pm

I would be ok with names on the blues but the whites and gold rush uniforms look cleaner without names.

I assume the 84 is a reference to the last time we won a national championship. Love it.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:29 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:19 pm

I would be ok with names on the blues but the whites and gold rush uniforms look cleaner without names.

I assume the 84 is a reference to the last time we won a national championship. Love it.
Was also Vigen's number as a TE for NDSU.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:31 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:18 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:02 pm
Random note-

I think his son is a QB.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:44 pm

Coach gotta work on shortening up that release.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:09 pm

I cant find the video anywhere. Will the event not be posted back to YouTube?

Hating the griz since 02.