Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Brent Vigen - New Bobcat Head Coach

Post by Common Cat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:43 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:00 pm
BobcatOninetails wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:40 pm
I’m curious. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of excitement on this board for the hire of Vigen. I expected 20 pages by now. What gives? Or am I just setting the bar to high?
I talked to one player's dad, and apparently this kid left that initial meeting feeling very uninspired. That's unfortunate, but it's going to happen when a guy like Choate leaves. It has to be a disappointment. I think Vigen is the perfect hire, he just doesn't have the charisma of Choate, and that'll take some getting used to.
Following Choate, in terms of being inspired, would be nearly impossible. A lot of these players are probably feeling the some parallel of a break up right now. Choate's speaking abilities alone set him apart from basically any coach I've listened to. Trust and respect need to be earned. I remember JP Flynn talking about how Choate told him he'd have to earn his respect. I just listened to Vigen say the same thing about earning the respect of his players to Colter on his show.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:52 pm

imacat wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:11 pm
Craig Bohl has some interesting things to say about Brent Vigen.

https://county10.com/craig-bohl-holds-p ... ges-video/
Transcript of what Bohl says about Vigen:
First and foremost, gonna start out and make a statement about Brent Vigen. It's been a joy to work with Brent for the last 18 years. He's grown. This is an exciting time for him, his family, Molly (Brent's wife), and he's really going to do a great job at Montana State. The Bobcats are really gonna see what kind of coach he is and there is always a transition going from an Offensive Coordinator to a Head Coach and Brent is well capable. This is a venture that he and I have talked about. We knew this day was coming and he's a remarkable football coach so we want to wish he and the Bobcatnation the very best with the exception of one game next year. To say that his presence leaving is something that will be easily is not an accurate statement at all. His presence here with Wyoming football was significant and that chasm is a pretty wide chasm so a big challenge but certainly we are excited about the opportunity as a coaching staff and are excited to move forward. So just wanted to make a closing statement, Brent Vigen is the best. Many times he doesn't promote himself but everything from identifying the great QBs, the relationship he had with Josh Allen, I know he was the biggest reason Josh elected to stay another year, and then identifying the other QBs and working with those guys. And then just all the difference he made with our offense and also our coaching staff and the state. So we want to wish the Vigen's well and wish them the best of luck. The Bobcats are really going to enjoy him and like I said he really is a remarkable football coach and good person.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:14 pm

lutecat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:13 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:00 am
cats2506 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:08 pm
catatac wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:08 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:02 pm
At the 17:50 mark he was talking about quarterbacks and and mentioned the guys here and "Sean on his way in" referring to Sean Austin from Kuna ID.
I found that interesting. It was also pretty neat what he said about his dad and how the real value that coaching brought to his life was the impact he had in developing young men and what it meant to the community. He gets it. Of course he'll have to get results on the field too. Looking forward to seeing what he puts together for a staff.
Good catch, I missed that the first time. So in the QB room off the top of my head we'll have Austin, Mellott, Thelen, McKay, Bauman, and Rovig? Anyone else I'm missing?
Troy [-X
Is there a better chance we see Troy back on offense with Vigen? I think so and personally I would love it. Not at QB except in the wildcat at times. The guy is a TD waiting to happen every time he touches the ball.
I would hate it. Troy can't take tons of hits at RB and then hit tons of people at LB. That's not fair to him. And look. He got injured and was going to redshirt 2020. As said, he has next level LB talent. Let him prove his chops there. I heard a couple years ago, as high as 3rd? Maybe 2nd road type of talent. From a knowledgeable person.
Colter reported his discussion with some NFL scouts and they project him on the offensive side of the ball.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:31 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:52 pm
imacat wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:11 pm
Craig Bohl has some interesting things to say about Brent Vigen.

https://county10.com/craig-bohl-holds-p ... ges-video/
Transcript of what Bohl says about Vigen:
First and foremost, gonna start out and make a statement about Brent Vigen. It's been a joy to work with Brent for the last 18 years. He's grown. This is an exciting time for him, his family, Molly (Brent's wife), and he's really going to do a great job at Montana State. The Bobcats are really gonna see what kind of coach he is and there is always a transition going from an Offensive Coordinator to a Head Coach and Brent is well capable. This is a venture that he and I have talked about. We knew this day was coming and he's a remarkable football coach so we want to wish he and the Bobcatnation the very best with the exception of one game next year. To say that his presence leaving is something that will be easily is not an accurate statement at all. His presence here with Wyoming football was significant and that chasm is a pretty wide chasm so a big challenge but certainly we are excited about the opportunity as a coaching staff and are excited to move forward. So just wanted to make a closing statement, Brent Vigen is the best. Many times he doesn't promote himself but everything from identifying the great QBs, the relationship he had with Josh Allen, I know he was the biggest reason Josh elected to stay another year, and then identifying the other QBs and working with those guys. And then just all the difference he made with our offense and also our coaching staff and the state. So we want to wish the Vigen's well and wish them the best of luck. The Bobcats are really going to enjoy him and like I said he really is a remarkable football coach and good person.
When asked if he was worried Vigen would poach some of his coaches, Bohl said Vigen already had a list of people he would bring in.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:22 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:14 pm
lutecat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:13 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:00 am
cats2506 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:08 pm
catatac wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:08 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:02 pm
At the 17:50 mark he was talking about quarterbacks and and mentioned the guys here and "Sean on his way in" referring to Sean Austin from Kuna ID.
I found that interesting. It was also pretty neat what he said about his dad and how the real value that coaching brought to his life was the impact he had in developing young men and what it meant to the community. He gets it. Of course he'll have to get results on the field too. Looking forward to seeing what he puts together for a staff.
Good catch, I missed that the first time. So in the QB room off the top of my head we'll have Austin, Mellott, Thelen, McKay, Bauman, and Rovig? Anyone else I'm missing?
Troy [-X
Is there a better chance we see Troy back on offense with Vigen? I think so and personally I would love it. Not at QB except in the wildcat at times. The guy is a TD waiting to happen every time he touches the ball.
I would hate it. Troy can't take tons of hits at RB and then hit tons of people at LB. That's not fair to him. And look. He got injured and was going to redshirt 2020. As said, he has next level LB talent. Let him prove his chops there. I heard a couple years ago, as high as 3rd? Maybe 2nd road type of talent. From a knowledgeable person.
Colter reported his discussion with some NFL scouts and they project him on the offensive side of the ball.
I not so long ago ran into a scout, really funny story.

Long story short though, he thought Andersen could play either side as long as he stays healthy. Very unique player.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:27 pm

The transition from a vocal leader to a quiet leader is not an easy one and will leave some people uninspired. That being said, I think that players will ultimately find that this style of leadership is one that can empower them just as well as any other style.

I didn't have a strong favorite in this process, but every day that passes makes me more and more confident that this is the perfect hire at this particular time for this program (as we couldn't make Choate stay here). Vigen's pedigree speaks for itself and the offense needs to be more dynamic to compete at a championship level. I believe that, starting with Cliff Hysell, every HC has left the program in better shape (at least on the field) than they inherited. It has been a slow climb, but this program is now positioned to be a top 8 program every year. I truly believe a title will be coming to Bozeman in Vigen's tenure, and I heard a coach that wants to make MSU the premier destination for FCS players.

I think he has the knowledge and acumen to make it happen.

imacat

Post by imacat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:31 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:27 pm
The transition from a vocal leader to a quiet leader is not an easy one and will leave some people uninspired. That being said, I think that players will ultimately find that this style of leadership is one that can empower them just as well as any other style.

I didn't have a strong favorite in this process, but every day that passes makes me more and more confident that this is the perfect hire at this particular time for this program (as we couldn't make Choate stay here). Vigen's pedigree speaks for itself and the offense needs to be more dynamic to compete at a championship level. I believe that, starting with Cliff Hysell, every HC has left the program in better shape (at least on the field) than they inherited. It has been a slow climb, but this program is now positioned to be a top 8 program every year. I truly believe a title will be coming to Bozeman in Vigen's tenure, and I heard a coach that wants to make MSU the premier destination for FCS players.

imacat

Post by imacat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:32 pm

imacat wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:31 pm
coochorama42 wrote:

Well said, and I agree.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:04 pm

coochorama42 wrote:

The last three HC hires were just what we needed at the time. I think Vigen will make four in a row. We've also gone back and forth between vocal and quiet with success.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:47 pm

Brent Vigen may not be as dynamic or effusive as Jeff Choate, how many coaches are? Let's not confuse a quiet demeanor with a lack of passion! I think the guy will find his own way and build a calm, confident winning program. A program that "knows" it will win when they take the field.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:58 am

Re: the discussion on this thread: Choate is a fiery, inspirational guy, great with the press, great with boosters. Vigen appears to have a different style. But he's confident, he understands this level of football, and has been able to motivate players to get better under his tutelage for years. The approach is still going to be much the same, win the game at the line of scrimmage, dominate, take the opponent's will to win away in the second half. I'm excited for the hire. Time will tell if he's a committed to building out the program infrastructure as choate was (facilities, QBC, full cost of attendance on the horizon?), but from a football perspective I think we're in good shape.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:16 am

One fiery style that I didn’t care for was Brian Fish. It seemed like all that yelling had a negative effect on the team.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:44 am

Bocephus wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:16 am
One fiery style that I didn’t care for was Brian Fish. It seemed like all that yelling had a negative effect on the team.
I think kids today (not right or wrong) need to know their coach loves them and genuinely cares about their experience and their future. When you communicate that you can be a lot more fiery and the kids respond to it. It used to be that the head coach didn't need to be the player-friendly guy--that was the assistants' job it seems like. Choate did a good job of being both as a head coach...the fiery yelling type but also that "good cop" assistant coach type. Fish was old school and that just doesn't fly anymore.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:52 am

Just a reminder.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:57 am

Bump Here we go Bobcats!

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:04 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:57 am
Bump Here we go Bobcats!
Turn up the volume and take off the mask!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:06 pm

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:25 pm

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:28 pm

Vigen: "#1 goal is to beat the Griz. That didn't make it into Twitter or whatever last week but that's at the top."

:lol:

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:32 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:28 pm
Vigen: "#1 goal is to beat the Griz. That didn't make it into Twitter or whatever last week but that's at the top."

:lol:
And I know there has been discussion about "winning a conference championship isn't as important" because of how seeding works...but I disagree. Winning the conference title with a great record could mean home-field which is where NDSU makes their money in the postseason. NDSU may not be as dominant over the years if they had to go on the road in a few of those playoffs. If we could get a semifinal game in Bobcat Stadium, our odds of winning that football game almost double in my opinion.