To the players

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

To the players

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:00 am

Really gotta feel bad for MSU’s players right now. After going through that tormenting Boise State ordeal that seemed to drag on forever they get hit with this double whammy of both Choate and Ioane, but especially Choate, leaving. At least it was quick.

It is a great life lesson for them. Most people, regardless of profession, are salary and title driven. A few of the rest of us want a job that provides us freedom to do the things we love to do away from work. Obviously, no one is in the coaching business for the latter.

While Choate was a great person to lead the program he isn’t completely gone. He laid the groundwork and set the example for what it takes to succeed.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Re: To the players

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:44 am

Has Kane leaving been confirmed? I’d sure like to see what he could do as our head coach.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:08 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:44 am
Has Kane leaving been confirmed? I’d sure like to see what he could do as our head coach.
Last I read Kane had not decided between co-DC/ safeties at BSU or MSU HC (interim or permanent).

Sounded like BSU opportunity came before .the HC position at MSU became available.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:34 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:44 am
It hasn’t, but you almost have to assume he will if he isn’t given the HC job. It’s a good bargaining chip for him. The players are still in limbo on the situation.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:29 am

Not sure how the players would be reacting as far as the shock of Choates sudden departure. Wondering if the reaction by the players would be affected by Ioane staying as HC. Just curious?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:57 am

It is not the players who are feeling the most stress. They have their scholarships, they will adapt.

The assistant coaches are the ones who are on edge. They are the ones I feel sympathy for.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:59 am

imacat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:57 am
It is not the players who are feeling the most stress. They have their scholarships, they will adapt.

The assistant coaches are the ones who are on edge. They are the ones I feel sympathy for.
Big time! They’ve got to have more anxiety than anyone. Tough times for those guys.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:47 pm

Described by Choate in his presser as very somber being the reaction in the room.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:20 pm

It's January. You just cancelled the spring season. It's essentially just after what should have been the national championship game. There's time to do this right. It's the normal time you'd expect coaching changes to happen if they were going to happen. There's a reason Choate was hired away in January and not September......You have time. Do it right.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:22 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:20 pm
It's January. You just cancelled the spring season. It's essentially just after what should have been the national championship game. There's time to do this right. It's the normal time you'd expect coaching changes to happen if they were going to happen. There's a reason Choate was hired away in January and not September......You have time. Do it right.
Thank goodness for the early signing period.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:25 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:22 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:20 pm
Thank goodness for the early signing period.
Except these are the situations where kids are generally granted their requests to get out of their NLI.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:46 pm

I am almost certain new ncaa rules allow any kids who signed or are current players to transfer with no repercussions due to a coaching change.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:50 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:46 pm
I am almost certain new ncaa rules allow any kids who signed or are current players to transfer with no repercussions due to a coaching change.
Do you have a source for that?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:53 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:50 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:46 pm
Do you have a source for that?
Looks like pieces are in place for that but that it still needs to meet some basic requirements:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ituations/

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:55 pm

Found this too, not sure how the Covid season comes into play on timing:

Can student-athletes transfer without penalties if a coach leaves the program?

A student-athlete can transfer at any time; however, the student-athlete may have to sit out from competition the first year at the new school unless he or she can meet an exception. A limited exception does exist to allow a first-time incoming student-athlete (i.e., a true freshman) to compete the first year at a new school if a head coaching change occurred during the summer before the student’s first fall semester at the original school.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:54 am

imacat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:57 am

That may be true, however, the coaches have been around longer and know these things happen. I would guess that while Choate was in the mix at Boise they were all making calls and tightening up their resumés. Almost all of the players are in a get-what-you-get state. They’re also much younger and presumably less equipped to deal with the situation.

As you said, they do have their scholarships/financial aid to fall back on, so their main issue — school — is covered. In a pure football sense, I am/was more concerned about the players. I think they’ll deal with it just fine. There are much worse football-related things (namely injuries) that can happen.

toM StUber