MSU’s next head coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU’s next head coach

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:49 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:47 am
How about these MWVC coordinators as candidates:

Jason Eck - SDSU OC/OL (MSU ties)
David Braun - NDSU DC
Jeremiah Johnson - UNI DC

I know we have Kane already as a top candidate for HC but these two guys look good.
If we lose Choate I have confidence there will be a national search and we'll get another excellent head coach. My personal opinion is that Kane is probably not quite ready for that role yet. This program is at a point now where you bring in either a highly decorated HC or a high profile rising star to take over for a few years before they move up to an FBS HC position. I'm sure some will say, yes that could be Kane and maybe so but again, just my gut feel is that he's not quite ready.

Obviously we hit the jackpot with Choate. Remember when he first showed up and preached early on, starting with the culture of the program and his players being rock solid people in the community and classroom first, and good football players last? Remember the proactive approach of telling his players they needed to be the leaders on campus in terms of attitudes on women, preventing assaults, date rape, etc. He actually implemented a culture program, not just a bunch of lip service. He talked about how you start there and the wins on the football field will eventually come. All of that came true and you look at the almost non existent player scrapes with the law, the highest ever GPA, and now of course a team that went further in the playoffs than any MSU team in decades. So he obviously knows what is most critical to running a program and also knows how to do it successfully. Oh, and then throw in the fact that he's a pretty damn good X's and O's guy, he has contacts everywhere, he can obviously recruit, fundraising, facility expansion, excellent coaching hires, and he seems to be pretty good at marketing the program!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:54 pm

coloradocat wrote:

David Braun - NDSU DC

I know we have Kane already as a top candidate for HC but these two guys look good.
No, absolutely NO coaches from North Dakota allowed to EVER run MSU football again! I don’t care how many Natties they have won. I STILL have deep scars from our previous mistake going that route. :D

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:38 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:54 pm
coloradocat wrote:

David Braun - NDSU DC

No, absolutely NO coaches from North Dakota allowed to EVER run MSU football again! I don’t care how many Natties they have won. I STILL have deep scars from our previous mistake going that route. :D
I remember when that guy showed up I was so darned jacked. We were going to be dominant...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:47 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:38 pm
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

David Braun - NDSU DC

I remember when that guy showed up I was so darned jacked. We were going to be dominant...
Really? I knew it would be a ******-show. One of the few predictions I ever got right.....well, I got some right but didn't act on them. Wish I had bought Apple stock when it was in the tank......

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:49 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:38 pm
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

David Braun - NDSU DC

I didn't follow the Bobcats prior to attending so my only knowledge of the 20th century comes from this website. I had to look up who you are referring to and laughed when I saw it.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:22 pm

Thought I would check that other site and one of their commenters, player rep, commented that hauck is twice the coach that Choate is. Not sure if that is sarcasm, don't think so... Don't remember who posted it but that since hauck finally has his guys now we are toast.

I mean, it is good to be confident but now time will tell...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:47 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:49 pm
coloradocat wrote:

David Braun - NDSU DC

If we lose Choate I have confidence there will be a national search and we'll get another excellent head coach. My personal opinion is that Kane is probably not quite ready for that role yet. This program is at a point now where you bring in either a highly decorated HC or a high profile rising star to take over for a few years before they move up to an FBS HC position. I'm sure some will say, yes that could be Kane and maybe so but again, just my gut feel is that he's not quite ready.

Obviously we hit the jackpot with Choate. Remember when he first showed up and preached early on, starting with the culture of the program and his players being rock solid people in the community and classroom first, and good football players last? Remember the proactive approach of telling his players they needed to be the leaders on campus in terms of attitudes on women, preventing assaults, date rape, etc. He actually implemented a culture program, not just a bunch of lip service. He talked about how you start there and the wins on the football field will eventually come. All of that came true and you look at the almost non existent player scrapes with the law, the highest ever GPA, and now of course a team that went further in the playoffs than any MSU team in decades. So he obviously knows what is most critical to running a program and also knows how to do it successfully. Oh, and then throw in the fact that he's a pretty damn good X's and O's guy, he has contacts everywhere, he can obviously recruit, fundraising, facility expansion, excellent coaching hires, and he seems to be pretty good at marketing the program!
Im just curious how much more time you think Kane will need. Hes been coaching for what 10+ years at this level, has time with an FBS program, and has coordinator experience albeit 2 short stints.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:15 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

You were not the Lone Ranger with that belief ... trust me! But that certainly does not rule out considering any other coaches from the program, the state or the conference.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:25 pm

imacat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:15 pm
[/quote]

You were not the Lone Ranger with that belief ... trust me! But that certainly does not rule out considering any other coaches from the program, the state or the conference.
[/quote]

I guess you missed the little smiley face.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:45 pm

Well we can put this thread away for a while now.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSUBRONCO
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUBRONCO » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:07 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:45 pm
Well we can put this thread away for a while now.

Very happy can put this thread away, so happy to keep him! Go cats!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:14 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:47 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:49 pm
coloradocat wrote:

David Braun - NDSU DC

Im just curious how much more time you think Kane will need. Hes been coaching for what 10+ years at this level, has time with an FBS program, and has coordinator experience albeit 2 short stints.
Ya, that's a great question, and I probably phrased that wrong. My point is that IMO Kane would be a huge step back from Choate in terms of capabilities in the 20 or so key skill sets that the position requires.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:56 pm

Bump?

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:58 pm

National search, here we come

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 pm

I don't care whether the new coach is offensive or defensive minded, but he needs to be a solid dude that helps his players grow into good men and can recruit like a mad man.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:01 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:56 pm
Bump?
:cry:

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LoggerCat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:40 pm

DeNarius

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:03 pm

Alright let's assume Kane is really gone too. Where do we go? I don't think there's anyone else on staff who's ready to be HC (Bobby Daly?). Someone earlier had talked about Joey Thomas, do people here think he's ready to make that jump? Or is it just a national search and see what turns up?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 pm

National programs do national searches.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 pm

What a gut punch. Time to move one. National search will be required. Does it rule out anyone on staff? I don't think so. Shouldn't be hard to get interest in the position.