Choate to interview for Boise State job

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:28 pm

Ditto. Even BSU would've been a big job to coach and compete. P5 maybe as an asst next.
[/quote]

Choate has already been an assistant coach at the P5 level. That is what he was when MSU hired him. As for a P5 DC, I don’t think he would be interested. This all assumes the Cats will continue to improve on his watch.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:31 pm

cat95inmissoula wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
I was looking at twitter and guys seem really excited he's staying. I'm sure they were nervous, but it doesn't seem like he lost any credibility.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm

If it's really a family, the players should've been rooting for him. I know that sounds weird. I don't doubt they would be sad if he left, but they should understand.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:36 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm
If it's really a family, the players should've been rooting for him. I know that sounds weird. I don't doubt they would be sad if he left, but they should understand.
100%. Sad to lose him but proud to see him move up.

imacat

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:41 pm

There is much unfinished business for this program under Choate’s leadership. Time to win a BSC crown. Time to win a NC.

bob12
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bob12 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:19 pm

cat95inmissoula wrote:
We dodged a bullet today, but the cats outa the bag. He's looking to move up - so next year we'll be having the same discussion.

Biggest concern I have is what this does to the player morale. Word is the last few days that the players were real scared. Afraid our leader may lose some cred in the locker room.
No, no lost cred.

bob12
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bob12 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm

Common Cat wrote:
this

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm

cat95inmissoula wrote:

Of course he’s looking to move up! No coach thinks of MSU as a final destination.

Players, and recruits, know that there’s a possibility Choate is moving on soon. That’s part of being a successful lower level program.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:39 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm
cat95inmissoula wrote:

Of course he’s looking to move up! No coach thinks of MSU as a final destination.

Players, and recruits, know that there’s a possibility Choate is moving on soon. That’s part of being a successful lower level program.
I’d really love for our fans to stop thinking Bozeman is the greatest place in the world and any top talent not willing to take a huge pay cut to come here must be mentally defective or greedy. The USA is a large country and there are lots of very nice places. Just because we like it here doesn’t mean it’s anything special to someone else.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:40 pm

bob12 wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
this
Yup. You should always want for someone else that which you would want for yourself.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:43 pm

cat95inmissoula wrote:

:roll:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
cat95inmissoula wrote:

Yeah, but I don't believe Choate is actively looking for a move up opportunity. BSU was unique because of his ties to the program and their lack of an AD initially pulled in Chris Peterson for recommendations. If MSU continues it's upward trajectory, Choate will no doubt start getting interest from other schools.

Selfishly, this news put me in a pretty good mood.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:51 pm

rivercat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
cat95inmissoula wrote:

Yeah, but I don't believe Choate is actively looking for a move up opportunity. BSU was unique because of his ties to the program and their lack of an AD initially pulled in Chris Peterson for recommendations. If MSU continues it's upward trajectory, Choate will no doubt start getting interest from other schools.

Selfishly, this news put me in a pretty good mood.
He wouldn't have had a 4-hour interview on Thursday if he wasn't interested

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hiline Cat
New Recruit

Post by Hiline Cat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 pm

I though Choate was the one saying "ride for the brand"!! I like what he has done for the program and who wouldn't like a "Griz slayer". As a current player or potential recruit, I wouldn't think twice about entering the portal or looking at the other school. Lack of loyalty doesn't help recruiting. Trying to move up in the world of coaching is the person any team would want, I just wish everything would be kept completely quiet without all the "fan fair" on who is being considered.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:27 pm

Cledus wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:40 pm
bob12 wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
this
Yup. You should always want for someone else that which you would want for yourself.
100% agreed! I wish more people shared that view when Prukop went to Oregon.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:37 pm

Hiline Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 pm
I though Choate was the one saying "ride for the brand"!! I like what he has done for the program and who wouldn't like a "Griz slayer". As a current player or potential recruit, I wouldn't think twice about entering the portal or looking at the other school. Lack of loyalty doesn't help recruiting. Trying to move up in the world of coaching is the person any team would want, I just wish everything would be kept completely quiet without all the "fan fair" on who is being considered.
Dude you have 5 posts on here in 4 years. All 5 negative. Are you so out of touch with college football that you don't think coaches are looking to get that dream job. Your feelers must have gotten hurt easily if you ever played a sport. Based on your post I assume you've never looked for a better job then?

CalgaryCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CalgaryCat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:44 pm

Hiline Cat wrote:
If you think players and recruits at any successful FCS program aren’t aware that the head coach could move on at any time, I got some beach front property in Arizona to sell you

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:50 pm

bob12 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:19 pm
cat95inmissoula wrote:

No, no lost cred.
I agree. It’s all about how well he’d have handled the situation internally and communicating. I suspect he probably did just fine at that.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:57 pm

Hiline Cat wrote:
:lol:

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:38 pm

Hiline Cat wrote:
Exploring a clearly better opportunity when it arises does not demonstrate a lack of loyalty, it's entirely normal and something we all do over the course of our careers. In a world in which the internet exists and we can track the BSU AD's flight minute by minute from Boise to Bozeman to Eugene and back to Boise, keeping this stuff completely quiet is simply not going to happen.