Spring football schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:28 am

rivercat wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:36 pm
autocat wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:25 pm
If you two haven’t noticed there’s been a college football season this fall and four team playoff on January 1st #-o

Are you convinced that there will be no games in February and March :-k
I don't see any upside to playing this Spring. Crowds will be severely limited or prohibited which means both Cats and griz will lose money. Unlike FBS with TV contracts footing the bill, cancellations/delays due to Covid will add even more costs to a money losing endeavor.

Fall camp in January? We have trouble finding decent weather to practice in March. Unless they throw up an indoor practice facility in the next 3 weeks, I don't think the needed preseason practices can effectively happen. I know people will argue that they practice in December in the playoffs, but practices during a season are so different than preseason practices that they can't be compared.

Two months of rest between the end of a Spring season and next Fall camp is not enough for players to recuperate and heal. And everyone agrees that Fall is more important than Spring so what is a coach going to do? Save his starters for the Fall and play a jv like season in the Spring.

Finally, the players were granted and extra year of eligibility so the is no "need" to play in the Spring to give the seniors one last season. Some will opt out of another year in school just to play football and that's ok. Those that want to play will be able to.

I just don't see a Spring season happening.
And there is the added cost of all the testing that these FBS teams are doing to try to monitor/mitigate/manage the spread. I agree that a spring season for the FCS is foolhardy

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:16 am

rivercat wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:36 pm
autocat wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:25 pm
If you two haven’t noticed there’s been a college football season this fall and four team playoff on January 1st #-o

Are you convinced that there will be no games in February and March :-k
I don't see any upside to playing this Spring. Crowds will be severely limited or prohibited which means both Cats and griz will lose money. Unlike FBS with TV contracts footing the bill, cancellations/delays due to Covid will add even more costs to a money losing endeavor.

Fall camp in January? We have trouble finding decent weather to practice in March. Unless they throw up an indoor practice facility in the next 3 weeks, I don't think the needed preseason practices can effectively happen. I know people will argue that they practice in December in the playoffs, but practices during a season are so different than preseason practices that they can't be compared.

Two months of rest between the end of a Spring season and next Fall camp is not enough for players to recuperate and heal. And everyone agrees that Fall is more important than Spring so what is a coach going to do? Save his starters for the Fall and play a jv like season in the Spring.

Finally, the players were granted and extra year of eligibility so the is no "need" to play in the Spring to give the seniors one last season. Some will opt out of another year in school just to play football and that's ok. Those that want to play will be able to.

I just don't see a Spring season happening.
Agree with all this and pretty much what I've been saying all along. I still am guessing it won't happen but if it does it will probably be a mini camp to give the young players a chance to audition... sort of like NFL preseason.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:02 pm

gtapp wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:35 pm
Is there a drop dead date for deciding if there is a season and if fans are allowed in? I would think the "is there a season" question would have to be answered before the first practice since Choate would not have spring practice until late March if there is no season. As far as fans in the stands I guess you could make that decision 2 weeks prior to the first home game if you wanted. It would be nice for me since I will rent a place in Bozeman or Big Sky for the Spring season so I won't have to go back and forth from MN. Makes it tough to make plans with 2 weeks notice.
How tight are the restrictions in Bozeman currently? Fairly certain that the MSU powers at be, will do everything possible to get as many fans in the stands as possible.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:36 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:02 pm
gtapp wrote:
Is there a drop dead date for deciding if there is a season and if fans are allowed in? I would think the "is there a season" question would have to be answered before the first practice since Choate would not have spring practice until late March if there is no season. As far as fans in the stands I guess you could make that decision 2 weeks prior to the first home game if you wanted. It would be nice for me since I will rent a place in Bozeman or Big Sky for the Spring season so I won't have to go back and forth from MN. Makes it tough to make plans with 2 weeks notice.
How tight are the restrictions in Bozeman currently? Fairly certain that the MSU powers at be, will do everything possible to get as many fans in the stands as possible.
Well I believe there are no fans allowed at the basketball games, so there's that.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:45 pm

ND0479 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
It's my understanding that it's not MSU's decision to make. I think some department within the City of Bozeman or Gallatin County is making these decisions which leads me to believe there won't be fans at sporting events until at least next fall.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:55 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:45 pm
ND0479 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
It's my understanding that it's not MSU's decision to make. I think some department within the City of Bozeman or Gallatin County is making these decisions which leads me to believe there won't be fans at sporting events until at least next fall.
This is one of the problems with the process. The county health departments can simply err on the side of caution and restrict access. There is no incentive for them to do anything beyond that.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:15 pm

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:02 am

My vote, for what it’s worth is to drop spring ball for all the reasons discussed above and get on with planning for a robust return of football in the fall. Creates certainty which is always a good thing.

Do what you do do well.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:08 am

For those advocating for MSU to drop out of the spring season, wasn't there a deadline last fall that teams needed to notify the conference by if they were deciding not to play in the spring?

Choate leaving for Boise, IMO, would be a terrible reason on its own to drop out of the spring season, and extremely unfair to the coaches and players who will still be part of the MSU program even if he goes. I'm sure there are mixed opinions among players and coaches about how much they want to be out there in the spring for 6 games, but it seems like the decision has been made already to play.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:20 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:08 am
For those advocating for MSU to drop out of the spring season, wasn't there a deadline last fall that teams needed to notify the conference by if they were deciding not to play in the spring?

Choate leaving for Boise, IMO, would be a terrible reason on its own to drop out of the spring season, and extremely unfair to the coaches and players who will still be part of the MSU program even if he goes. I'm sure there are mixed opinions among players and coaches about how much they want to be out there in the spring for 6 games, but it seems like the decision has been made already to play.
The first game is scheduled for February 27th, so practice will be starting very soon. MSU could lose their head coach, offensive coordinator, and defensive line coach just a few weeks before the start of a meaningless six game season in the middle of a pandemic. I’d be surprised if they didn’t bail out of this.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:33 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:20 am
MSU01 wrote:

The first game is scheduled for February 27th, so practice will be starting very soon. MSU could lose their head coach, offensive coordinator, and defensive line coach just a few weeks before the start of a meaningless six game season in the middle of a pandemic. I’d be surprised if they didn’t bail out of this.
I hear what you're saying, although I'd guess that the remaining players and coaching staff would have some different views on this than us as fans.

I guess my main question is if it's even an option at this point for MSU or another individual school to "bail out" and decide to not play this spring.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:38 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:33 am
AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

I hear what you're saying, although I'd guess that the remaining players and coaching staff would have some different views on this than us as fans.

I guess my main question is if it's even an option at this point for MSU or another individual school to "bail out" and decide to not play this spring.
Totally. I guess the other side of the coin would be we might have a new head coach, new offensive coordinator and new defensive line coach that could really use a "practice" season of sorts to hit the ground running.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:39 am

MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

I think its always an option for any school to not play. The bigger thing I see coming are federal mandates surrounding COVID. What's coming down the pipeline in those aspects. I could see a scenario where there are very strict restrictions put on sports being able to be played if they are allowed at all. It'll be interesting going forward seeing the tug of war between the new governor and the new federal administration.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:49 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:39 am
MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

I think its always an option for any school to not play. The bigger thing I see coming are federal mandates surrounding COVID. What's coming down the pipeline in those aspects. I could see a scenario where there are very strict restrictions put on sports being able to be played if they are allowed at all. It'll be interesting going forward seeing the tug of war between the new governor and the new federal administration.
I was under the impression that the Federal Government is quite limited in what they are able to mandate. President-Elect Biden talks about a nationwide mask mandate, but it's totally unenforceable unless state and local governments are on board. It's entirely possible that some states start to put some pretty severe restrictions on sporting events, although Montana won't be one of them with a new Republican governor.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:06 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:49 am
LTown Cat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

I was under the impression that the Federal Government is quite limited in what they are able to mandate. President-Elect Biden talks about a nationwide mask mandate, but it's totally unenforceable unless state and local governments are on board. It's entirely possible that some states start to put some pretty severe restrictions on sporting events, although Montana won't be one of them with a new Republican governor.
Correct but if other states follow what may be coming in mandates from the feds it may make it tough to have a season.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:14 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:06 am
MSU01 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Correct but if other states follow what may be coming in mandates from the feds it may make it tough to have a season.
Montana (or at least Helena - don't know if I can say the same for Bozeman and Missoula) might be ready to play but CA, OR, WA, CO governors are just as eager to lock down again. The spring season is already illegitimate. Once we're down to 6-7 teams there's no reason at all to play.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:16 am

MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

The players are SUPER stoked to play a meaningless 6-8 games in miserable weather, and then get a month or so off to get ready for the real season.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:44 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:16 am
MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

The players are SUPER stoked to play a meaningless 6-8 games in miserable weather, and then get a month or so off to get ready for the real season.
:lol: Your pithy responses never get old!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:58 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:14 am
LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:06 am
MSU01 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Montana (or at least Helena - don't know if I can say the same for Bozeman and Missoula) might be ready to play but CA, OR, WA, CO governors are just as eager to lock down again. The spring season is already illegitimate. Once we're down to 6-7 teams there's no reason at all to play.
exactly.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:06 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:16 am
MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Considering they haven't played a snap of real football since 12/21/2019, 384 days as of today, they just might be.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast