MSU’s next head coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU’s next head coach

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:46 pm

I would be really surprised if Kane isn’t the next MSU coach.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:54 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:46 pm
I would be really surprised if Kane isn’t the next MSU coach.
He's the only logical in house hire. Anyone have ideas on who else we would look at on the outside?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:02 pm

I heard Bob Hauck. It's the only way he can prevent losing 4 in a row to the cats including 2021. :lol:

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:18 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:02 pm
I heard Bob Hauck. It's the only way he can prevent losing 4 in a row to the cats including 2021. :lol:

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:21 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:18 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
Priceless. =D^

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:23 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:21 pm
Cledus wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
Priceless. =D^
Come on man. He already lost 4 in a row, we are looking at number 5 this spring.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:26 pm

One thing I'm encouraged by is the fact that not many of us, if any, knew the first thing about Jeff Choate. I think there are other good coaches out there looking for an opportunity. My gut is that Kane isn't quite ready yet. Whoever it is, I hope culture is the priority (as it has been with Choate). I think in today's world, being a great culture guy is more important than being a great x's and o's guy.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:27 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:26 pm
One thing I'm encouraged by is the fact that not many of us, if any, knew the first thing about Jeff Choate. I think there are other good coaches out there looking for an opportunity. My gut is that Kane isn't quite ready yet. Whoever it is, I hope culture is the priority (as it has been with Choate). I think in today's world, being a great culture guy is more important than being a great x's and o's guy.
Agree 100%!

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:37 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:34 pm
Yeah if Choate gets on the flight its a done deal. But when he has recruits come in, he sends them off at the airport every time I do believe. So in reality he's probably just doing the same thing...but again there's also the possibility of what I said in the first sentence.
Or, since it's a bad weather day in Bozeman, they decided to have the meeting at the airport.

I actually think it's pretty common to have these type of meetings/interviews at the airport conference rooms. I would think doubly so with all the COVID precautions.

FYI, the plane left Bozeman and landed in Eugene. So, there's that.

GO CATS GO!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:11 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Yeah if Choate gets on the flight its a done deal. But when he has recruits come in, he sends them off at the airport every time I do believe. So in reality he's probably just doing the same thing...but again there's also the possibility of what I said in the first sentence.
Or, since it's a bad weather day in Bozeman, they decided to have the meeting at the airport.

I actually think it's pretty common to have these type of meetings/interviews at the airport conference rooms. I would think doubly so with all the COVID precautions.

It would've been great if the airport staff had decorated the hallways and the conference room with Bobcat stuff. :wink:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:31 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:26 pm
It's encouraging that - my opinion anyway - MSU's last 4 coaching hires have been, for the program overall, an improvement on each their predecessors.

MSU would be doing a disservice to the program to NOT nationally search for a new coach, if it's Monday or 3 years from now. Then let the best candidate rise to the top.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

catfisherman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catfisherman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:41 pm

I like Choate but what in his record besides beating Missoula 4 years in a row has shown us he is better than Ash? The 2010-2012 Ash teams were pretty good

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:44 pm

catfisherman wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:41 pm
I like Choate but what in his record besides beating Missoula 4 years in a row has shown us he is better than Ash? The 2010-2012 Ash teams were pretty good
Is this a serious question??

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:45 pm

catfisherman wrote:
You're kidding, right? Running a good program is far more complex than simply the W/L record... That's really all Ash had going for him, and sadly was the reason he was here past the McGhee years...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:58 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:11 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

It would've been great if the airport staff had decorated the hallways and the conference room with Bobcat stuff. :wink:
Ha! Would have been great! Even better if Costello had been able to show up with a 7 figure check to drop in his lap as the plane departed.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:34 pm

catfisherman wrote:
If Ash had left in 2013 or so, he might be remembered more fondly. He won very few games his team wasn't favored in. That's great that the Bobcats were heavily favored, and he deserves credit for that, but at some point you have to upset somebody. His last couple years, the culture was not good. He had a good run and I'm thankful for the contributions he made to the program, but you can't dismiss the fact that Choate won some playoff games AND beat the Griz all four years. To me, that makes him very clearly a better coach than Ash. That's like saying "take away all those championships and MVP's and Michael Jordan really wasn't all that great of a player". That's literally what made him great. The fact that Choate won the big games Ash couldn't makes him unquestionably better IMO.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:25 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:34 pm
catfisherman wrote:
If Ash had left in 2013 or so, he might be remembered more fondly. He won very few games his team wasn't favored in. That's great that the Bobcats were heavily favored, and he deserves credit for that, but at some point you have to upset somebody. His last couple years, the culture was not good. He had a good run and I'm thankful for the contributions he made to the program, but you can't dismiss the fact that Choate won some playoff games AND beat the Griz all four years. To me, that makes him very clearly a better coach than Ash. That's like saying "take away all those championships and MVP's and Michael Jordan really wasn't all that great of a player". That's literally what made him great. The fact that Choate won the big games Ash couldn't makes him unquestionably better IMO.
I agree and I am a huge Choate fan but let's not forget Ash won what, 3 Big Sky championships in 4 years? I'd love to see Choate, or whoever the next head coach is do that.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:34 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:34 pm
catfisherman wrote:
I agree 100% about the Griz games. What games other than that were the Cats underdogs? I don’t remember the odds off the top of my head, but the Cats were probably 7 point favorites against UIW, Albany, and APSU. Those 3 teams had a combined record of 26-14. Albany was ranked #25 coming into the game, APSU was ranked 18 going into the playoffs.

I don’t mean that as a knock...just an observation.

Are there any Choate era wins over a Top 10 team? (Honest question,I’m not sure) anyone not UM, that is?

I’m 100% in on Choate for all the reasons you listed, but I’m waiting for the sort of big upset before I’m willing to say his on field performance is better than Ash. Or a competitive game with NDSU or JMU.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:55 pm

Ash 2-7, Choate 4-0

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:23 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:21 pm
Cledus wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
Priceless. =D^
Come on man. He already lost 4 in a row, we are looking at number 5 this spring.
Hauck doesn't get the credit for all of those losses, just the really embarrassing ones.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic