Choate to interview for Boise State job

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Choate to interview for Boise State job

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:46 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:53 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:51 am
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:50 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:36 am
I'm saying Dickey is going to Bozeman first to inform Choate in person that they are going to hire Avalos, then on to Eugene to hire Avalos in person.
I think it is for the interview.
According to other reports Choate interviewed Monday and Avalos on Tuesday.
Might be a final in-person interview.
Definitely could be. I wouldn't think Dickey would be flying to both places for anything less. I'm just hopeful he's being classy and telling Choate the job isn't his before he moves on to Eugene.
I heard Dennis Washington it at the Belgrade airport. I guess he wants to throw in a couple million to Boise so they will take Choate and hopefully end the current streak of Griz losses.💰💰💰

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:07 pm

This whole thing really sucks.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:19 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:07 pm
This will likely become an annual occurrence if he doesn't get the job. We're going to have a stressful January every year until Choate leaves.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:25 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:19 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
This will likely become an annual occurrence if he doesn't get the job. We're going to have a stressful January every year until Choate leaves.
You think so? I think the only reason it's happening now is because it's Boise. He's not going to go after any other MWC jobs. And I doubt he would leave for some other group of 5 job, especially not in the MWC, Sun Belt, C USA or MAC.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:36 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:25 pm
coloradocat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
You think so? I think the only reason it's happening now is because it's Boise. He's not going to go after any other MWC jobs. And I doubt he would leave for some other group of 5 job, especially not in the MWC, Sun Belt, C USA or MAC.
I think the fact that he's #2/3 on Boise's list will move him onto future lists. He bounced around a lot before he got to Bozeman so I could see him get a G5 job somewhere, especially MWC since he'd still be in his backyard. MWC is probably the most likely conference for him to get on a short list unless he has other connections at a school.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:38 pm

So at least there is some good news. He hasn't changed his Twitter page yet
https://mobile.twitter.com/coachchoate_msu?lang=en

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:01 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Then it crossed my mind how the players must feel. As crappy as it is, it shows how lucky we are to have him.

Hating the griz since 02.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:26 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:01 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Then it crossed my mind how the players must feel. As crappy as it is, it shows how lucky we are to have him.
Exactly. You want a coach you'd be sad to lose. Timing is especially bad with the "season" starting next month.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:45 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:26 pm
CodyCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Exactly. You want a coach you'd be sad to lose. Timing is especially bad with the "season" starting next month.
The timing is just fine.

The spring season, for many reasons, is a complete joke. If MSU has a new coach, it’s a valid reason to opt out, which they should anyways.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:49 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:45 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
The timing is just fine.

The spring season, for many reasons, is a complete joke. If MSU has a new coach, it’s a valid reason to opt out, which they should anyways.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. If Choate leaves, the 1st phone call Costello makes should be to the BSC to inform them MSU is opting out of the spring season.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:04 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:49 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
The timing is just fine.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. If Choate leaves, the 1st phone call Costello makes should be to the BSC to inform them MSU is opting out of the spring season.
I hear you. I don't think the season should happen either, but let me ask you this...do the players not want to play in the spring? I don't know the answer so I'm not trying to be argumentative. I realize it's not safe to play that many games in a calendar year, but are there some players who would feel betrayed by an opt-out? I just think the whole thing sucks and it's on the BSC for telling kids there would be a season in the spring. I feel like if I'm a player I'm upset that I don't get to play at all, even if I know winter football sucks and I'd probably be pretty beat up after two seasons in one year. I've talked to a couple veteran players and they're pretty indifferent, but I feel like the younger players would want a season. Like I said, I don't know what's right.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:06 pm

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:12 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:04 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:49 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
The timing is just fine.

I hear you. I don't think the season should happen either, but let me ask you this...do the players not want to play in the spring? I don't know the answer so I'm not trying to be argumentative. I realize it's not safe to play that many games in a calendar year, but are there some players who would feel betrayed by an opt-out? I just think the whole thing sucks and it's on the BSC for telling kids there would be a season in the spring. I feel like if I'm a player I'm upset that I don't get to play at all, even if I know winter football sucks and I'd probably be pretty beat up after two seasons in one year. I've talked to a couple veteran players and they're pretty indifferent, but I feel like the younger players would want a season. Like I said, I don't know what's right.
I'm sure it's different in the FCS than the FBS, but most players in the Big Ten and Pac 12 were more than upset when their conferences cancelled the fall season initially. So you may be right. But it's also a 6 game regular season with a truncated playoff so maybe it isn't that big a deal to them. Players always want to play though, no matter the time or place. I would hope they wouldn't be angry with the staff and administration if they opted out though. They have to see the logic in it you would think.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:17 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:36 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
I think the fact that he's #2/3 on Boise's list will move him onto future lists. He bounced around a lot before he got to Bozeman so I could see him get a G5 job somewhere, especially MWC since he'd still be in his backyard. MWC is probably the most likely conference for him to get on a short list unless he has other connections at a school.
Well when Nebska fires Scott Frost and hires Craig Bohl, I would bet that Wyoming would love to have Jeff Choate take over. They are virtual clones.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:31 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:17 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:36 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Well when Nebska fires Scott Frost and hires Craig Bohl, I would bet that Wyoming would love to have Jeff Choate take over. They are virtual clones.
I'd be ok with becoming a Wyoming fan. I live less than three hours from Laramie. :D

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:08 pm

This whole thing sucks. Not only would it be awful to lose Choate, I might find it hard not to cheer for BSU. (I respect Choate too much to wish him ill.) A thought that makes me cringe. :( Not as difficult as having to cheer for the Griz, but close. BSU fans remind me of Griz fans in many ways, entitled with very unrealistic expectations. Plus both schools are in tough shape financially.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:18 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:08 pm
This whole thing sucks. Not only would it be awful to lose Choate, I might find it hard not to cheer for BSU. (I respect Choate too much to wish him ill.) A thought that makes me cringe. :( Not as difficult as having to cheer for the Griz, but close. BSU fans remind me of Griz fans in many ways, entitled with very unrealistic expectations. Plus both schools are in tough shape financially.
"Not as difficult as having to cheer for the Griz, but close.":

Wash your mouth out with soap for even typing this.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:03 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:53 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:51 am
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:50 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:36 am
I'm saying Dickey is going to Bozeman first to inform Choate in person that they are going to hire Avalos, then on to Eugene to hire Avalos in person.
I think it is for the interview.
According to other reports Choate interviewed Monday and Avalos on Tuesday.
Might be a final in-person interview.
Definitely could be. I wouldn't think Dickey would be flying to both places for anything less. I'm just hopeful he's being classy and telling Choate the job isn't his before he moves on to Eugene.
Hmmm. All the speculating is nerve wracking! The way I'd look at this would maybe be the opposite... perhaps they are coming to offer Choate the job and maybe discuss pay, etc... and then if he accepts they will go on and tell Avalos thanks. Who knows.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:14 pm

I don't know how these things work but the fact that they are visiting both finalists today makes me think there won't be a decision until the weekend. Unless Choate blew it (impossible) they'll have the same interview with Avalos that they had with him and then decide by tomorrow and finalize the contract details with who they choose Friday/Saturday.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:17 pm

Maybe he get the defensive coordinator position.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back