The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:01 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:56 am
Cledus wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:22 am
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:39 pm
Sam herder thinks we're going to beat the griz again but gives us shade for the playoffs.
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-fav ... ssion=true
He says that MSU is a one-dimensional running team, but then cites losing two receivers as a weakness? Then says we’re strong up front, which is why we’ll beat the griz but they’re built for the playoffs? :-k :-k
"I think MSU will beat the Griz again this spring. It’s just not a good matchup for Montana, whose weakness up front is MSU’s strength. However, I think Montana is built for a deeper playoff run and matches up better against a team like NDSU."

A few quick comments:

1) I hear NDSU also likes to run the ball down your throat.
2) If the Griz are a mismatch in the trenches with MSU on both sides of the ball...then what kind of matchup does Sam think they have against NDSU's lines.
3) The Griz offense is more explosive through the air than MSU's. That was also the case back in 2015 in their playoff matchup with NDSU where they were thumped 37-6 in a game NDSU passed for 66 yards.
4) NDSU stops the run and makes you one dimensional on offense so they can unleash a dominant pass-rush and force turnovers. So wouldn't that make UM one dimensional in a matchup with NDSU? Just curious.
5) The Griz currently don't have a starting QB either? Sure...Cam Humphrey racked up great stats against Portland State last year but Dalton Sneed he is not. Wouldn't that also play into the matchup equation?
6) It's great to talk about football again.
Sam is selling T-shirts that have "Sam Herder hates my team" on the front. He needs to add one that says "Sam Herder is a Byzon homer" to his lineup. Perhaps I will suggest that to him on his twitter feed.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:39 am

Don't forget that Toure transferred out too.

I'm pretty sure Colter is on the record saying this too, and while yes obviously their offense is more dynamic and that gives you a better chance to score a little more, their defense isn't as good so I really don't understand why UM is heads and shoulders matches up better against NDSU. NDSU is still going to run for 250+ yards on UM's defense. Plus UM is much more likely to turn the ball over against NDSU.

I mean, we try to out-NDSU NDSU, which does not work (not yet), so I will agree that the Griz probably do match up slightly better than we do, but really I don't know it's that big of a difference.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Sam herder thinks we're going to beat the griz again but gives us shade for the playoffs.
He says that MSU is a one-dimensional running team, but then cites losing two receivers as a weakness? Then says we’re strong up front, which is why we’ll beat the griz but they’re built for the playoffs? :-k :-k
"I think MSU will beat the Griz again this spring. It’s just not a good matchup for Montana, whose weakness up front is MSU’s strength. However, I think Montana is built for a deeper playoff run and matches up better against a team like NDSU."

A few quick comments:

2) If the Griz are a mismatch in the trenches with MSU on both sides of the ball...then what kind of matchup does Sam think they have against NDSU's lines.
3) The Griz offense is more explosive through the air than MSU's. That was also the case back in 2015 in their playoff matchup with NDSU where they were thumped 37-6 in a game NDSU passed for 66 yards.
4) NDSU stops the run and makes you one dimensional on offense so they can unleash a dominant pass-rush and force turnovers. So wouldn't that make UM one dimensional in a matchup with NDSU? Just curious.
5) The Griz currently don't have a starting QB either? Sure...Cam Humphrey racked up great stats against Portland State last year but Dalton Sneed he is not. Wouldn't that also play into the matchup equation?
Ha ha, yep. I like the Big Sky respect but also chuckle when I see the prediction if MSU #6, UM #4, and Weber #2. looking at the end of the season, reminder here that UM destroyed Weber and then MSU destroyed UM. :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:04 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

A few quick comments:

Ha ha, yep. I like the Big Sky respect but also chuckle when I see the prediction if MSU #6, UM #4, and Weber #2. looking at the end of the season, reminder here that UM destroyed Weber and then MSU destroyed UM. :lol:
We do by far have the toughest schedule of any Big Sky teams this spring. That will be a factor.

Hating the griz since 02.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:30 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:04 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

A few quick comments:

We do by far have the toughest schedule of any Big Sky teams this spring. That will be a factor.
50/50 that there is even a spring season in the Big sky. Pessimism reigns supreme here at the U of Missoula. The admin seems very doubtful as they know it will just bleed more $ which is a serious problem for them, more than most big sky schools.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:34 pm

Other than teams starting to practice (or not) in the next couple weeks is there anything else that will tell us if the spring season is going to happen or not? Or will we just find out the weekend before the games are scheduled to start that they are calling it off?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:03 pm

From everything I’ve seen and read, there are no coaches (or hardly players for that matter) in the big sky who want to proceed with a spring season. I’ll give the chance of it happening 1%.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:47 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:03 pm
From everything I’ve seen and read, there are no coaches (or hardly players for that matter) in the big sky who want to proceed with a spring season. I’ll give the chance of it happening 1%.
Wow! Who would’ve thunk it?!

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:57 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:47 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
This is a hot take.... ](*,)

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:01 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:57 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Sorry I saw a post earlier saying it was 50/50 so I was mainly responding to that as I think 50/50 is way too optimistic. Tough crowd here it seems.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:16 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:01 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Sorry I saw a post earlier saying it was 50/50 so I was mainly responding to that as I think 50/50 is way too optimistic. Tough crowd here it seems.
Haha don’t apologize man, I was just messing around. I’m not a fan of the spring season. I wasn’t talking crap to you.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:06 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:01 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
I am a fellow sprint ball hater, just clapping my own back.

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:30 am

Just a quick review of the players MSU & um have lost….I may be missing some

MSU Offense; Brott our best OL and Sessions, who left, Kassis & Jonsen our 2 best WR’s, & Logan Jones.
MSU Defense; DL Marks & Sterk...ouch on both, LB Josh Hill, both Safeties Alleyene & Konkol...ouch again, 2 CB’s Washington & Filer

um Offense; QB Sneed...their best offensive player, WR's Toure & JLM, TE, & 2 OL.
um Defense; MLB Dante Olson...their best player by far, NT Sims, DE Rice, both CB’s...Calhoun graduated and Nash left…., & S Sandry.

Some things that stick out are;
‘um loses their best players on both sides of the ball. Both Sneed & Olson will be very difficult to replace. Combine that with 2 of their best 3 WR’s along with their TE & 2 OL, I don’t see them getting better on offense. On defense I think it will be even more difficult to be as good as they were in 2019; they lose Olson along with arguably their 2nd best player in Sims on defense and 3 of 4 starters in their secondary.

MSU has 3 of 5 OL back along with Ifanse and 2 backs who should be able to replace Logan Jones in Sumner & Perry. Losing both Jonsen & Kassis will definitely hurt. On defense we’ll have our best player back (TA..who didn’t play in the 19 Brawl). Losing both Marks & Sterk off of the DL will hurt big time, as will 4 from our secondary as well.

In 2021 our QB will either be Rovig, with more experience, or somebody better than Rovig…Bauman or McKay, so on Offense our most important position should be at least slightly better than 2019. I think um’s QB play will be substantially worse than in 2019 without Sneed, which was who made their Offense go. On Defense we will have a healthy TA, but because we lose Sterk, Marks & 4 of 5 of our secondary we might not be as stout as in 2019. ‘um will almost certainly not be as good on Defense IMHO…I don’t think they will come close to replacing either Olson & Sims, and their Secondary loses.

I don’t think we’ll be able to replace Kassis & Jonsen. I think we’ll be able to replace our loses on the OL, because that is what a Choate coached team does. Therefore, in a 2021 matchup, whether it’s in the spring, fall or both, just like the last 4 Brawl’s I don’t see how um will stop our run game, especially when you consider who um lost on Defense. If we can run the ball for 300-400 yards against an um team without Sneed, I just don’t see us losing. IF, we play in the spring, it will be a less than full wa-griz stadium, which should limit their home field advantage, and when we play in the fall it should be in a rockin’ Bobcat Stadium.

As far as what this Herder fella thinks…..as others have pointed out his comments don’t ‘line up logically’. If um can’t stop the run and the replacement of their QB production is in question big time, how can he rank them above not only us but JMU?

We’ll see….GO CATS!

stevo

Post by stevo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:56 am

How hard is it going to be to get this Bobcat team ready to play IF we loose coach Choate and some other coaches to Boise? IT is going to be crazy around our program if this happens.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:24 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:30 am

MSU Offense; Brott our best OL and Sessions, who left, Kassis & Jonsen our 2 best WR’s, & Logan Jones.
MSU Defense; DL Marks & Sterk...ouch on both, LB Josh Hill, both Safeties Alleyene & Konkol...ouch again, 2 CB’s Washington & Filer

um Offense; QB Sneed...their best offensive player, WR's Toure & JLM, TE, & 2 OL.
um Defense; MLB Dante Olson...their best player by far, NT Sims, DE Rice, both CB’s...Calhoun graduated and Nash left…., & S Sandry.

‘um loses their best players on both sides of the ball. Both Sneed & Olson will be very difficult to replace. Combine that with 2 of their best 3 WR’s along with their TE & 2 OL, I don’t see them getting better on offense. On defense I think it will be even more difficult to be as good as they were in 2019; they lose Olson along with arguably their 2nd best player in Sims on defense and 3 of 4 starters in their secondary.

MSU has 3 of 5 OL back along with Ifanse and 2 backs who should be able to replace Logan Jones in Sumner & Perry. Losing both Jonsen & Kassis will definitely hurt. On defense we’ll have our best player back (TA..who didn’t play in the 19 Brawl). Losing both Marks & Sterk off of the DL will hurt big time, as will 4 from our secondary as well.

In 2021 our QB will either be Rovig, with more experience, or somebody better than Rovig…Bauman or McKay, so on Offense our most important position should be at least slightly better than 2019. I think um’s QB play will be substantially worse than in 2019 without Sneed, which was who made their Offense go. On Defense we will have a healthy TA, but because we lose Sterk, Marks & 4 of 5 of our secondary we might not be as stout as in 2019. ‘um will almost certainly not be as good on Defense IMHO…I don’t think they will come close to replacing either Olson & Sims, and their Secondary loses.

I don’t think we’ll be able to replace Kassis & Jonsen. I think we’ll be able to replace our loses on the OL, because that is what a Choate coached team does. Therefore, in a 2021 matchup, whether it’s in the spring, fall or both, just like the last 4 Brawl’s I don’t see how um will stop our run game, especially when you consider who um lost on Defense. If we can run the ball for 300-400 yards against an um team without Sneed, I just don’t see us losing. IF, we play in the spring, it will be a less than full wa-griz stadium, which should limit their home field advantage, and when we play in the fall it should be in a rockin’ Bobcat Stadium.

As far as what this Herder fella thinks…..as others have pointed out his comments don’t ‘line up logically’. If um can’t stop the run and the replacement of their QB production is in question big time, how can he rank them above not only us but JMU?

We’ll see….GO CATS!
Wait, won't they win the defensive game because they have Hauck on defensive, definitely a buck award?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:17 am

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:24 am
The MICKSTER wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:30 am

We’ll see….GO CATS!
Wait, won't they win the defensive game because they have Hauck on defensive, definitely a buck award?
Last year, Ifanse had to spread around his defensive backfield hits. This year he'll be able to narrow his focus on Bäwbaè Jr. :lol: \:D/

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am

What was your favorite Naequan Parker memory?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:42 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am

What was your favorite Naequan Parker memory?
Man, how do you pick?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:04 pm

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:08 pm

Wow. Good for him!