MSU’s next head coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

MSU’s next head coach

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:10 am

If Choate gets the job I’d love to see a former player come back and coach here. Ioane is an obvious candidate. What other former players are coaching that might be qualified?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU’s next head coach

Post by superbobcat » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:38 am

I believe the current staff has several assistants capable of taking over. I’d rather develop a Choate coaching tree rather than start all over. I believe Ioane is the most logical and shiny choice, but don’t sleep on BJ or even Hout. My preference would be to see Choate moving up and down the sideline.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:44 am

Timing is everything. Hard to say, but this might be the best time for Choate to go. Lots of good players in the program, new facilities, coming off a good season.

Choate did an excellent job building a strong culture. Is there another step beyond that? Or does culture take care of everything? Would like to hear from some former players on that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:13 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:44 am
Timing is everything. Hard to say, but this might be the best time for Choate to go. Lots of good players in the program, new facilities, coming off a good season.

Choate did an excellent job building a strong culture. Is there another step beyond that? Or does culture take care of everything? Would like to hear from some former players on that.
The next step is to be in the top tier of FCS. Choate has solidified our place in Tier 2 but until we're competing for championships we'll always be looking up. If Choate could beat NDSU (or JMU) then that would be the best time to go. Until then there's unfinished business.

Whenever he leaves, next month or in 2-3 years, my vote would be for Ioane. He's been the one constant that has defined Bobcat football this century.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:12 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:13 am
TomCat88 wrote:

The next step is to be in the top tier of FCS. Choate has solidified our place in Tier 2 but until we're competing for championships we'll always be looking up. If Choate could beat NDSU (or JMU) then that would be the best time to go. Until then there's unfinished business.

Whenever he leaves, next month or in 2-3 years, my vote would be for Ioane. He's been the one constant that has defined Bobcat football this century.
Curious what others think of Matt Miller coming back as HC! Ioane would not disappoint me, but I think Miller has a network to draw on that could bring in some great outside talents for coaching and his name recognition is bigger!

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:51 am

I believe Miller’s wife is from Boise. Would guess he makes more as a receivers coach and will stay there . provided the new coach wants that, which i’d guess would be the case.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:58 am

TomCat88 wrote:

I get where you're going with that but I'd counter... there's never a good time for Choate to go. Like he preaches to his players and coaches, don't every be content. I know he pushes himself to always change and get better. As for players, he's upgraded the overall talent, character, etc. of all the players in the program every year he's been here and I see no reason for that not to continue. Ya, all coaches preach the "next man up" thing but I think everything culminated last year at Cat\Griz when our star player, and several other players were sidelined, and we still destroy the Griz. We had several players on the bench at several positions that could have subbed in and I believe the result would have been the same. As for facilities, and unfinished business, I'd love to see him achieve his goal in terms of leveling the playing field with NDSU from a monetary standpoint and then take them on. Currently they have a significant advantage there... hence the monopoly.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:27 pm

If Moore is hired, Miller may get elevated to OC.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:53 pm

I’m not sure of all the extenuating circumstances here or who is staying or going with the Boise coach over to Arkansas, but head coaches making a move usually take a majority of their guys with them. This means Matt Miller probably going that way, too?

This also means if Choate gets hired, how many MSU guys does he take or can he take? Does Kane go with him? What players start thinking about a transfer to BSU? Troy could certainly play there as could a few others.

I honestly don’t think he will get the job there. Has a few things left to prove in FCS, but this thing could have a bit of a domino effect if it happened.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:55 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:53 pm
I’m not sure of all the extenuating circumstances here or who is staying or going with the Boise coach over to Arkansas, but head coaches making a move usually take a majority of their guys with them. This means Matt Miller probably going that way, too?

This also means if Choate gets hired, how many MSU guys does he take or can he take? Does Kane go with him? What players start thinking about a transfer to BSU? Troy could certainly play there as could a few others.

I honestly don’t think he will get the job there. Has a few things left to prove in FCS, but this thing could have a bit of a domino effect if it happened.
I don't think it's very common for a bunch of players to follow a coach? I know there are always going to be one or two but nothing widespread?

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:00 pm

catatac wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:55 pm
ibleedblue wrote:

I don't think it's very common for a bunch of players to follow a coach? I know there are always going to be one or two but nothing widespread?
No I don’t think a bunch either...but even 2-3 could hurt especially if one is Troy. When Bohl left NDSU for Wyoming, even though they put some contractual stuff in place that wouldn’t allow him to take players or current recruits, it happened and got kind of ugly.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:44 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:00 pm
catatac wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

No I don’t think a bunch either...but even 2-3 could hurt especially if one is Troy. When Bohl left NDSU for Wyoming, even though they put some contractual stuff in place that wouldn’t allow him to take players or current recruits, it happened and got kind of ugly.
It's also easier than ever for players to switch schools.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:26 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:00 pm
catatac wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

Got ya. Well we already know we can demolish the Griz without TA so no worries! Kidding, I see what you're saying. I seriously doubt we would lose any key players if Choate left and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Choate said said no to a player like TA following him to Boise.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:36 am

Boise State targeting Kellen Moore ....
http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-b ... targeting/

"Should Moore choose to remain in the NFL, sources tell FootballScoop Boise State has another alum ready to go."

Dec 26

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:58 am

Thought I would go over to that other site and see how they are taking the BSU news. I don't expect they would be overly complementary and was surprised a few think Choate is a good coach. Well, maybe that is a bit of an over speak... There are a couple that feel Hauck has turned the corner and has the CATS number now. A couple on another post felt the griz would have won the conference last year...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:59 am

JDoub wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:36 am
Boise State targeting Kellen Moore ....
http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-b ... targeting/

"Should Moore choose to remain in the NFL, sources tell FootballScoop Boise State has another alum ready to go."

Dec 26
And the other alum is Avalos. Choate is somewhere in the 3-5 range.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:23 pm

I'd put Ioane in the top spot right now. But I'm sure they'd do a national search. I think he could beat anyone out there.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:52 pm

I love what Kane has done, just not convinced he is hc ready. He needed more seasoning for the dc job and feel he got a lot of Choate over his shoulder.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:59 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:52 pm
I love what Kane has done, just not convinced he is hc ready. He needed more seasoning for the dc job and feel he got a lot of Choate over his shoulder.
Agree. I think he will be ready at some point but today he would be a significant step back from Choate in terms of everything he brings to the table. Ideally we would get a candidate that is comparable to Choate so we don't lose any momentum.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:04 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:52 pm
That's kind of true about the over the shoulder, but that's something I only saw Choate do when things weren't clicking quite right. You have to wonder just how much of that goes on though. I think Choate lets things go until they go south, but it seems like the defense was pretty consistently good, so I want to think that Choate let Ioane run things his way. He only had one year as DC under Choate, another with Ash (2015). Last year was very good. I think MSU was No. 2 overall in the league behind WSU.

Kane's dad and brother are coaches. I think his trip to UW did wonders for him and helped him diversify.

They'd do a national search and I think Kane still could win out.