WBB vs BYU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

nevadacat
Member # Retired

WBB vs BYU

Post by nevadacat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:09 pm

Tough day in Provo. Our youth and (lack of) size are showing in this game. A lot of players getting good playing time though. No quit in these ladies!

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Re: WBB vs BYU

Post by nevadacat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:41 pm

Cats lose at BYU 73-58. Margin of victory was less than the margin at the end of the 1st quarter. Ladies aggressively attacked BYU in the 2nd half and ended up shooting 33 FT in the game. A lot of good experience gained in this one.

Must say the officials in this game need to review what an illegal screen is. They must have called a half dozen today on us.

On a separate note, I found the BYU TV announcers very good and enjoyable.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Good notes by the other @nevadacat. With seven new freshmen there were a lot of big-eyed players for the first quarter. They steadied the ship somewhat for the second. I was most pleased to see them come out after halftime with a whole new “we can do this look.” They had seen the bear, as Coach Choate said. The coaches made some adjustments and the players got down to work. They gave up 25 points in the first quarter, and only 48 (16/quarter) the rest of the game. They became the aggressors and were rewarded at the free-throw line — and this team can shoot free throws! Almost every player showed a mature stroke that will hold up. We gave up too many open threes while trying to shore up the inside. These young players will get much better on their rotations if they can ever practice together. Nice to see Kenzie Stumne get on the court. We have more athleticism across 15 players than we’ve ever had. I liked what I saw, very much. We got popped in the nose the first quarter, and responded with fortitude and skill.

I agree — the BYU TV pair were well-prepared and enjoyable. The lady said she had played for Trish at Boise State (I think) when Trish was an assistant.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:57 pm

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:21 pm

That was kind of a shellacking-but thats what you get when you have a lot of freshmen who are used to being half a head taller and half a hand longer than their opponent suddenly have the tables turned. BYU shot the ball really well-but we gave way too many wide open looks. College players will kill you if you leave them that wide open.

We started out chucking threes again, but this time they didn't go in and we were down 10-0 in no time. They did a good job of getting it a little closer against BYU's reserves. I think our players learned a lot and grew a lot. I loved Kola Bad Bear's grit in this one.

Reflect on an 18 game win streak. How amazing has that been. Here's to the next one!