SUU to the WAC?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSUBRONCO
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

SUU to the WAC?

Post by MSUBRONCO » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 pm

MSUBRONCO

Re: SUU to the WAC?

Post by MSUBRONCO » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:51 pm

Nevermind saw it in the college athletics section how do I delete the topic?

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:34 pm

SUU, Dixie State, UVU, and now Weber State??? This would make 3 FCS teams in the WAC from Utah, and potentially a 4th if & when UVU adds football. Losing Weber would be a bit of a blow to the Big Sky

http://www.ksl.com/article/50063697/sou ... ll-revival

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:56 pm

JDoub wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:34 pm
SUU, Dixie State, UVU, and now Weber State??? This would make 3 FCS teams in the WAC from Utah, and potentially a 4th if & when UVU adds football. Losing Weber would be a bit of a blow to the Big Sky

If Weber left the conference, would the Big Sky headquarters relocated from Farmington, Utah? Why would you have the conference headquarters in a state that doesn't have a team? I get traveling to Salt Lake is easier than other locations, but I wouldn't want the headquarters in a state without a team.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:06 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:56 pm
JDoub wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:34 pm

If Weber left the conference, would the Big Sky headquarters relocated from Farmington, Utah? Why would you have the conference headquarters in a state that doesn't have a team? I get traveling to Salt Lake is easier than other locations, but I wouldn't want the headquarters in a state without a team.
Maybe if the conference was afraid of MSU and UM leaving they'd move it to Billings. :-k

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:15 pm

I have a hard time believing Weber would leave one of the top 3 FCS conferences to join schools brand new to football at the FCS level, or brand new to football in general. They could literally fill their schedule with 3 OOC games in the west every year and still get in state rivalry games in.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:44 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:15 pm
I have a hard time believing Weber would leave one of the top 3 FCS conferences to join schools brand new to football at the FCS level, or brand new to football in general. They could literally fill their schedule with 3 OOC games in the west every year and still get in state rivalry games in.
Might boil down to wanting to be top dog. They have put some resources into their programs the last couple of years but nationally continue to be after MSU, UM and EWU on the biggest revenue sport. They would have the biggest stadium, best facilities and the top second revenue sport basketball in a new conference. Weber and the WAC not a team from the Big Sky

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:04 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:44 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Might boil down to wanting to be top dog. They have put some resources into their programs the last couple of years but nationally continue to be after MSU, UM and EWU on the biggest revenue sport. They would have the biggest stadium, best facilities and the top second revenue sport basketball in a new conference. Weber and the WAC not a team from the Big Sky
This is not the WAC of the past that had games on ESPN or ESPN2. The conference will be a significant downgrade to the Big Sky. Weber moving would be a strange decision. And those trips to Texas and New Mexico to play other conference members will not be cheap.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:14 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:04 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
This is not the WAC of the past that had games on ESPN or ESPN2. The conference will be a significant downgrade to the Big Sky. Weber moving would be a strange decision. And those trips to Texas and New Mexico to play other conference members will not be cheap.
7-4 in the BSC gets you into the playoffs if you played a decent OOC schedule and did well. 9-2 might not in the WAC unless you win the conference. Weber and SHSU are the only well regarded teams in this scenario. I just don't see them leaving to go from a top 3 conference to a Big South/NEC type conference.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:21 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:14 pm
Cataholic wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
7-4 in the BSC gets you into the playoffs if you played a decent OOC schedule and did well. 9-2 might not in the WAC unless you win the conference. Weber and SHSU are the only well regarded teams in this scenario. I just don't see them leaving to go from a top 3 conference to a Big South/NEC type conference.
I was referring to if they think they can dominate a lesser league on a regular basis not the the WAC was better

10 years as a top team puts a lot of hot air into a fan bases heads even if it’s a lesser league

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:54 pm

Cataholic wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Just a quick follow up, but of the new schools invited, the school with the highest average football attendance last year would have been Stephen F Austin at just 8,300.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:10 pm

I'd love to see the BSC shed a couple of teams...hate to have it be Weber, there's just too much history there. And it seems weird to have 2 FCS teams in a city that's barely bigger than Missoula.

But the Big Sky is too big unless we have a championship game because of the unbalanced schedules. And the Pioneer doesn't give us the chance to schedule western OOC opponents that help build a resume.

My only hope is that the WAC doesn't poach teams from the Southland. It would be way better for the WAC to poach the Cali teams like SLO or Davis or Sac. Then you could have 3 legit scholarship conferences to schedule OOC out of, plus the 4 Dakota schools in the MVFC.

Hope it works out-it would be really good for FCS football west of the Mississippi.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:30 am

onceacat wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:10 pm
I'd love to see the BSC shed a couple of teams...hate to have it be Weber, there's just too much history there. And it seems weird to have 2 FCS teams in a city that's barely bigger than Missoula.

But the Big Sky is too big unless we have a championship game because of the unbalanced schedules. And the Pioneer doesn't give us the chance to schedule western OOC opponents that help build a resume.

My only hope is that the WAC doesn't poach teams from the Southland. It would be way better for the WAC to poach the Cali teams like SLO or Davis or Sac. Then you could have 3 legit scholarship conferences to schedule OOC out of, plus the 4 Dakota schools in the MVFC.

Hope it works out-it would be really good for FCS football west of the Mississippi.
BSC wants the California schools for recruitment.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:50 am

onceacat wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:10 pm

Two FCS teams in one city? Which one? Weber is in Ogden, pop. 87,000. UVU is in Orem, pop. 97,000, and 77 miles away. Or did I get the wrong two teams?

BlueNGoldTilIDie
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlueNGoldTilIDie » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:09 am

I think they may be referring to Dixie state and Suu. But they are still 52 miles apart so not exactly close. And Saint George has a population of 90k and Cedar city has about 35k. Washington county that Saint George is in has 180k people so again not the same size wise. I like Bobcat4ever am confused at what 2 fcs teams are you referring to?

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:17 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:54 pm
Cataholic wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Just a quick follow up, but of the new schools invited, the school with the highest average football attendance last year would have been Stephen F Austin at just 8,300.
Weber's average attendance last year was 7,438. At 8,300 SFA would have been #6 for home attendance in the Big Sky. The 2019 season attendance rank was Montana (1), Montana St. (2), Sac St. (3), UC Davis (4), Eastern (5), Weber (6).

Also, Tarleton St. average 8,952 in DII so they would presumably have the highest attendance, not SFA.
Last edited by The Butcher on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:43 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:17 am
Cataholic wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Weber's average attendance last year was 7,438. At 8,300 SFA would have been #6 for home attendance in the Big Sky. The 2019 season attendance rank was Montana (1), Montana (2), Sac St. (3), UC Davis (4), Eastern (5), Weber (6).

Also, Tarleton St. average 8,952 in DII so they would presumably have the highest attendance, not SFA.
Montana's attendance was so high they got to be ranked #1 and #2? Haha

Hating the griz since 02.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:55 am

CodyCat wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:43 am
The Butcher wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:17 am
Cataholic wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Weber's average attendance last year was 7,438. At 8,300 SFA would have been #6 for home attendance in the Big Sky. The 2019 season attendance rank was Montana (1), Montana (2), Sac St. (3), UC Davis (4), Eastern (5), Weber (6).

Montana's attendance was so high they got to be ranked #1 and #2? Haha
Whoops! Fixed it.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:38 pm

Another article on the Texas schools and the probable move:

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2 ... view_title

What would be the benefit of the Texas schools leaving the Southland?

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:42 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:38 pm
Another article on the Texas schools and the probable move:

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2 ... view_title

What would be the benefit of the Texas schools leaving the Southland?
Rumors are they are unhappy with the southland and decisions that have been made to bring in D2 schools. And that they may lose some schools to ACC and to d2.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back