Off season random *^%$

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by coloradocat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:15 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:51 pm
With the upgrades MSU is making. Waded is eyeing a move up to the Mountain West. She wants out of the FCS.
Does anyone outside of the MSU administrators want this?
Not sure if PHAT CAT's post was a joke or not.

@Colter_Nuanez I assume you would know the answer to this question. I heard you talk about it on T&N yesterday. Is either school seriously working towards moving up in the near future (5 years or so) and is there support for such a move outside of the university administrations?

The UM AD's plan for a 20 team MWC sounds like something a few of the BN/egriz posters would come up with, not a serious proposal. Also, if he thinks losing 2x as many home games each year won't have any impact on attendance he's got another thing coming.

I'd rather wait for the P5 to essentially kick the G5 down to the FCS level and then we can reorganize the conferences at that point.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:15 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 pm
coloradocat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
With the upgrades MSU is making. Waded is eyeing a move up to the Mountain West. She wants out of the FCS.

@Colter_Nuanez I assume you would know the answer to this question. I heard you talk about it on T&N yesterday. Is either school seriously working towards moving up in the near future (5 years or so) and is there support for such a move outside of the university administrations?

The UM AD's plan for a 20 team MWC sounds like something a few of the BN/egriz posters would come up with, not a serious proposal. Also, if he thinks losing 2x as many home games each year won't have any impact on attendance he's got another thing coming.

I'd rather wait for the P5 to essentially kick the G5 down to the FCS level and then we can reorganize the conferences at that point.
I'm right there with you! I think within the next few years the power 5 will form their own governing body and say goodbye to the NCAA, at least for football. I also think that will include making the conferences larger by adding teams like Boise, BYU, Houston, SMU, Cincinnati, UCF and a few others making room for BSC, MVFC, and CAA teams that want to move to the group of 5. I can totally see There being 3 different "levels" D1 college football.

I personally have no interest in watching the Cats play at a level where the big game at that end of the year is the Idaho potato bowl. Why people think going 6-6 and getting to play in a bowl game is so great is beyond me.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:52 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:15 pm
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

I'm right there with you! I think within the next few years the power 5 will form their own governing body and say goodbye to the NCAA, at least for football. I also think that will include making the conferences larger by adding teams like Boise, BYU, Houston, SMU, Cincinnati, UCF and a few others making room for BSC, MVFC, and CAA teams that want to move to the group of 5. I can totally see There being 3 different "levels" D1 college football.

I personally have no interest in watching the Cats play at a level where the big game at that end of the year is the Idaho potato bowl. Why people think going 6-6 and getting to play in a bowl game is so great is beyond me.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:00 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

It will be interesting to see which direction the G5 goes. Once the P5 leaves them in the dust do we end up with a) three levels of D1 (P5, FBS, FCS) or b) does the G5 move down to the FCS and the bottom third/half of the FCS moves down to D2 (FBS/P5, FCS, D2). If the new FCS can get a good tv contract for the playoffs then I can see scenario b) being the result. It would make for better, and more meaningful, football but it would be necessary to scrap 20 bowl games that national audiences don't care about in order for this to work.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:20 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:00 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

It will be interesting to see which direction the G5 goes. Once the P5 leaves them in the dust do we end up with a) three levels of D1 (P5, FBS, FCS) or b) does the G5 move down to the FCS and the bottom third/half of the FCS moves down to D2 (FBS/P5, FCS, D2). If the new FCS can get a good tv contract for the playoffs then I can see scenario b) being the result. It would make for better, and more meaningful, football but it would be necessary to scrap 20 bowl games that national audiences don't care about in order for this to work.
Those 20 bowl games are getting scrapped this year due to Covid. I think 11 have already been cancelled. If anytime made sense to move toward additional playoff games in FBS, it would appear to be now. There are still 7 undefeated teams in FBS. How can a team like Cincinnati go undefeated and not have an opportunity to win the national championship? Seems like a perfect storm for change in the way everything is done.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:30 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:20 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:00 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

Those 20 bowl games are getting scrapped this year due to Covid. I think 11 have already been cancelled. If anytime made sense to move toward additional playoff games in FBS, it would appear to be now. There are still 7 undefeated teams in FBS. How can a team like Cincinnati go undefeated and not have an opportunity to win the national championship? Seems like a perfect storm for change in the way everything is done.
I think it's more likely that the big boys seriously question why they are sharing all their money with the little sisters of the FBS than that they invite them to the January games.

Imagine a world where a 9-0 Cincinnati and an 11-0 Coastal Carolina (assuming they both win this week) have the same chance at a title as a 5-0 Ohio State. Pure fantasy.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:33 pm

The Utah State coaching search ...

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/2068558

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:37 pm

imacat wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:33 pm
The Utah State coaching search ...

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/2068558
Well that turned into a ****** show real quick.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:47 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:12 pm

Posting this because Zach Minter is their DL coach.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:34 pm

Christian Okoye "The Nigerian Nightmare"

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:36 am

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:13 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:36 am
Thanks to Coach Choate for much of this. I continue to be impressed by him. I am truly amazed this is his first college head coaching job. He seems a natural.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:20 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:12 pm
Posting this because Zach Minter is their DL coach.

surprised but not that surprised

I have a degree from APU

I'm sure this is a California thing - the reasons for shutting down - not a football or school thing

APU recently moved to NCAA DII from NAIA and was planning to move up to FCS

I'm sure Minter will land somewhere if he wants to keep coaching

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:22 am

JDoub wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:20 am

I'm sure Minter will land somewhere if he wants to keep coaching
I'd like to see him with a role on our staff!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:18 pm

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:18 pm
Seeing this news is the first time I truly think we could lose Coach Choate. May not be power 5 but it's damn close, and they may be in the Pac 12 in a couple years.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:36 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:32 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:18 pm
Seeing this news is the first time I truly think we could lose Coach Choate. May not be power 5 but it's damn close, and they may be in the Pac 12 in a couple years.
I don’t think there are many places Choate would leave MSU for, but this may be one of them.

Tis the season for coaching carousels.

Also, I assume Matt Miller will be on the Auburn staff?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:46 pm

We need @BozoneCat to do some on the ground reporting. Haha

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:17 pm

The Boise State job is one that should scare us. It's a solid job. Jeff has coached there and I would think he would take it in a heart beat. I have a bad feeling, we're going to lose him. Damn.