Idaho recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Idaho recruiting

Post by coloradocat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:52 pm

With another commit from ID coming in, how do we stack up against Idaho and Idaho State? They would clearly have the numbers overall but are we competing for the top athletes in the state or just a couple schools?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Idaho recruiting

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:25 pm

Sean Austin had offers from both Idaho State and Idaho.

I believe Titan Fleischmann had an offer from his hometown Idaho State Bengals.

I don't believe Pottenger had offers from the Idaho schools.

Just checked Idaho's roster and it doesn't look like they recruit Idaho very much. They have 18 Idaho players on their roster.
Idaho State has 28.
Montana State has 3.

By comparison, Montana State has 42 players on its roster from Montana.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:13 pm

Boise State also has 15 Idaho natives on their roster.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm

It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 pm
It sounds like the state of Idaho is under recruited, the state of Washington is extremely under recruited.
Idaho is interesting. They have 1.7 million in population. Comparing that to Montana, I am guessing that they should have 20 D1 athletes per year. EWU, Weber, Washington State and Utah State are also all nearby. Weber has 12 kids from Idaho, Washington State has 1, Utah state has 3 and EWU has 3. That could turn into quite a recruiting battle for standout kids amongst 3 FBS schools and 4 FCS schools. I can’t see many kids picking Idaho State or Idaho over the Cats, but we would be recruiting against Boise State and Weber for the elite talent.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm

I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm
I guess that's an interesting question. What Div 1 universities have the highest percentages of home state players on their rosters?
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Simply by population density alone, schools in California and Texas would be my guesses. Also, both have considerable talent pools to draw from.
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Just saw during their game today that Cincinnati has 80 players from Ohio on their roster. I'd guess that's the highest by a long shot.
I bet that helps out the recruiting budget.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:18 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
The question intrigued me so I took a closer look at CA and TX. San Jose State has 93 kids from California on the roster. Fresno State has 93 kids. Even PAC 12 Cal has 73 on the roster. Texas State has 91 kids from Texas. North Texas has 81 kids. Texas Tech has 91. Other areas with not as much population or talent must travel for D1 recruits. Utah Utes only have 41 kids from Utah.
Dang I thought Cincy might be an anomaly. It makes sense though that the non power 5 schools recruit in state so hard. There's probably a lot if in state talent that gets under recruited in the highly populated states. Probably makes recruiting a little easier on the wallet for those schools.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm
seataccat wrote:
Idaho is interesting. They have 1.7 million in population. Comparing that to Montana, I am guessing that they should have 20 D1 athletes per year. EWU, Weber, Washington State and Utah State are also all nearby. Weber has 12 kids from Idaho, Washington State has 1, Utah state has 3 and EWU has 3. That could turn into quite a recruiting battle for standout kids amongst 3 FBS schools and 4 FCS schools. I can’t see many kids picking Idaho State or Idaho over the Cats, but we would be recruiting against Boise State and Weber for the elite talent.
Weber State probably holds an edge over Montana State and others in recruiting LDS territory, as well as geographic proximity and easy Interstate travel to Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and even Boise. I’m not surprised they have 12 Idaho kids on their roster. For football and women’s basketball, Montana State has set up a pretty good pipeline to Boise. Basketball has a nice little bonus for Boise players in that if you win the conference tournament, you can do it in front of a home crowd. I’ll bet Darian would have had quite a following last year in the championship game, had it come to be.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:51 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 am
Cataholic wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Weber State probably holds an edge over Montana State and others in recruiting LDS territory, as well as geographic proximity and easy Interstate travel to Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and even Boise. I’m not surprised they have 12 Idaho kids on their roster. For football and women’s basketball, Montana State has set up a pretty good pipeline to Boise. Basketball has a nice little bonus for Boise players in that if you win the conference tournament, you can do it in front of a home crowd. I’ll bet Darian would have had quite a following last year in the championship game, had it come to be.
Basketball does present an interesting recruiting angle in metro areas as well. Hellgate was the beat team in Montana for some time and there was maybe 3 D1 recruits. I would be curious how that team would have fared against Boise or SLC teams.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:53 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:51 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 am
Cataholic wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Basketball does present an interesting recruiting angle in metro areas as well. Hellgate was the beat team in Montana for some time and there was maybe 3 D1 recruits. I would be curious how that team would have fared against Boise or SLC teams.
Probably not well. Montana basketball is way behind Idaho and Utah. Better than Wyoming.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 am

Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Wow, impressive research. Keep up the good work.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:04 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 am
Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Wow, impressive research. Keep up the good work.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Amazing what one can do with no college football to watch!!!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:32 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:53 am
Probably not well. Montana basketball is way behind Idaho and Utah. Better than Wyoming.
@TomCat88 How would you rank those four states on high school football? How would the good Bozeman Hawk teams have fared against Tucker Rovig’s team?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 pm

Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
I'm shocked Utah has that many. Utah only has 3 million people, which is a pretty small state population-wise. And they've got 3 FBS schools plus 2 FBS schools. Colorado has almost 2x the population, but only 3 D1 schools (unless you count Air Force, which recruits from a completely different pool of players) Washington and Arizona have well over 7 million people with 3 schools.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:10 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
I'm shocked Utah has that many. Utah only has 3 million people, which is a pretty small state population-wise. And they've got 3 FBS schools plus 2 FBS schools. Colorado has almost 2x the population, but only 3 D1 schools (unless you count Air Force, which recruits from a completely different pool of players) Washington and Arizona have well over 7 million people with 3 schools.
Even stranger, Colorado which is a member of the PAC 12 as well only has 27 kids from the state of Colorado. Roughly half of their roster is from either CA or TX. Even stranger is that Mountain West Colorado State Univ only has 32 kids from Colorado. I had expected that they would recruit the state heavily but not really. And then UNC only has 41 kids from the state??? Seems like low numbers for close to 6 million in population. Factors such as culture and other sports must play a larger role than we think in high school participation. My nephew is a senior at a high school in Denver and their band is a bigger deal than football at their school, and they would be Class AA size in Montana. They also have lacrosse and baseball as high school sports.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:49 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 pm
Utah now has 6 Div I Football programs - 3 FBS and 3 FCS

Dixie State University in the WAC is now full FCS, will play at least 1 FBS team this spring

And Utah Valley University, Div. 1, will most likely add football in the near future

Utah also has one of the top JC football programs in the country, consistently producing future NFL players (Snow College has produced more NFL players than MSU)

HS Football is big here in Utah, but it seems tapped out already for HS recruits. Many of the top HS recruits here seem to go elsewhere - Stanford, Oregon, Alabama, etc. instead of UofU -- BYU recruits all over the world for LDS kids, so overall it's kinda weird recruiting scene.