Off season random *^%$

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by AFCAT » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:30 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:23 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:27 pm
I think head coaching jobs at that FBS level and the FCS level are very different. Choate is a teacher at heart and he loves engaging with his players, something he wouldn't be able to do as much at that level of the FBS. I think Choate has found his perfect job and isn't leaving anytime soon.
Why couldn’t he engage and teach the players as much at the FBS level as this level?
It's all about time. Everything is bigger at the FBS level. FBS head coaches have larger budgets to manage, larger staffs to manage, recruiting is more complex/competitive and takes more time, more big money donors to appease, more fans, more money to raise, etc., that all takes a toll with a head coaches time. I have no doubt Choate could handle all of that, but I'm not so sure he wants to.

Everything that I've seen and heard from Choate is that he loves the FCS level of football and taking care of his players. Lewis Kidd told the story a while back about how much he has seen the MSU football program evolve since he arrived. MSU didn't have a fueling station until Choate set one up. There was no dietician or staff, so Choate was out there personally making smoothies and snacks for the players. MSU still has the only registered full time dietician in the Big Sky. I remember last season when Choate personally saw to it that Ifanse was able to fly home to visit his own doctor after his injury. Choate cared that much about his players health and welfare.

Choate has talked about how much he enjoys teaching leadership and life skills to his players, personally taking time and talking with each player, going on recruiting trips that a head coach wouldn't normally go on (his words), zoom calls with players parents, personally making sure his players stay healthy, etc. Sure, he could do some of that at the FBS level, but demands on his time as an FBS head coach would surely put limits on what he loves to do most.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:27 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:02 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:27 pm
Friggin awesome!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:56 pm

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:42 pm

You gotta love a coaches spin. Yale averaged 12,133 fans per game last season. That’s a lot of empty seats.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:25 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:42 pm
You gotta love a coaches spin. Yale averaged 12,133 fans per game last season. That’s a lot of empty seats.

Go figure it out when you consider on game was 44,400+

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:01 pm

I wonder how many programs will be hitting the portal in January for spring altheles.....
https://footballscoop.com/news/missouri ... a-said-no/

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:54 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:06 pm
The truncation on this cow catcher got my attention in light of the Utah State situation, :D

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:55 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:34 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:55 am
So is john sauer retiring or did he find a new job?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:44 am

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:34 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:55 am
So is john sauer retiring or did he find a new job?
He runs the Olympic sports. I thought Wilcox was the lead guy for football? I think with the BAC that this might be a new position?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:51 am

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:13 am

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:30 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
I think head coaching jobs at that FBS level and the FCS level are very different. Choate is a teacher at heart and he loves engaging with his players, something he wouldn't be able to do as much at that level of the FBS. I think Choate has found his perfect job and isn't leaving anytime soon.
Why couldn’t he engage and teach the players as much at the FBS level as this level?
It's all about time. Everything is bigger at the FBS level. FBS head coaches have larger budgets to manage, larger staffs to manage, recruiting is more complex/competitive and takes more time, more big money donors to appease, more fans, more money to raise, etc., that all takes a toll with a head coaches time. I have no doubt Choate could handle all of that, but I'm not so sure he wants to.

Everything that I've seen and heard from Choate is that he loves the FCS level of football and taking care of his players. Lewis Kidd told the story a while back about how much he has seen the MSU football program evolve since he arrived. MSU didn't have a fueling station until Choate set one up. There was no dietician or staff, so Choate was out there personally making smoothies and snacks for the players. MSU still has the only registered full time dietician in the Big Sky. I remember last season when Choate personally saw to it that Ifanse was able to fly home to visit his own doctor after his injury. Choate cared that much about his players health and welfare.

Choate has talked about how much he enjoys teaching leadership and life skills to his players, personally taking time and talking with each player, going on recruiting trips that a head coach wouldn't normally go on (his words), zoom calls with players parents, personally making sure his players stay healthy, etc. Sure, he could do some of that at the FBS level, but demands on his time as an FBS head coach would surely put limits on what he loves to do most.
I think above all, Choate is a teacher and a builder. I think that's why he likes to hire young coaches vs some bigger name hires. Bob Cole and Courtney Messingham were probably the two biggest name hires he made and well neither of those worked out at all. I also thinks he really enjoys building a program up into the exact mold he wants. I think he realizes the game is a bit more pure at this level and he probably has more 1 on 1 coaching opportunities than he might at a bigger school.

All of that said, it's hard to turn down quadruple pay if the opportunity were to arise I imagine.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:22 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:13 am
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

I think above all, Choate is a teacher and a builder. I think that's why he likes to hire young coaches vs some bigger name hires. Bob Cole and Courtney Messingham were probably the two biggest name hires he made and well neither of those worked out at all. I also thinks he really enjoys building a program up into the exact mold he wants. I think he realizes the game is a bit more pure at this level and he probably has more 1 on 1 coaching opportunities than he might at a bigger school.

All of that said, it's hard to turn down quadruple pay if the opportunity were to arise I imagine.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:37 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:13 am
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Yes it would be, as that would be about 2 million annually. I think we are safe for the next several years having Jeff Choate as our head coach.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:05 pm

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:47 pm

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:19 pm

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:11 pm

coachouert wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:19 pm
Is that Zambrano? The original tweet had him tagged.

FYI he's my pick to breakout.