Off season random *^%$

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:30 am

I've read several articles from this guy, and he has some pretty good info. It sounds like SUU to the WAC is all but done. And it also sounds like the Southland may see up to 4 teams depart for the WAC as well.

https://extrapoints.substack.com/p/conf ... pdates-wac

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:00 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:30 am
I've read several articles from this guy, and he has some pretty good info. It sounds like SUU to the WAC is all but done. And it also sounds like the Southland may see up to 4 teams depart for the WAC as well.

Hopefully a few more Big Sky teams go to the WAC. Be nice to get back down to nine teams. Too much of an imbalanced schedule currently.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:57 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:00 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:

Hopefully a few more Big Sky teams go to the WAC. Be nice to get back down to nine teams. Too much of an imbalanced schedule currently.
As long as one of them isn't MSU :shock:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:00 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:

Agreed. Would also be excellent to have more western teams to play ooc.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:51 pm

Jay Hill will probably be a top candidate.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:19 pm

Two sitting head coaches who may merit a close look are Weber State’s Jay Hill, a Utah native and longtime Utah Utes assistant who has taken the Wildcats from 2-10 in his debut season to 32-9 the past four years. The other is Montana State’s Jeff Choate, who knows the Utah State program well from his time as an assistant in Logan. Choate, a Chris Petersen protégé, has taken the Bobcats from four wins to five to eight wins to 11 last year.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:19 pm

Two sitting head coaches who may merit a close look are Weber State’s Jay Hill, a Utah native and longtime Utah Utes assistant who has taken the Wildcats from 2-10 in his debut season to 32-9 the past four years. The other is Montana State’s Jeff Choate, who knows the Utah State program well from his time as an assistant in Logan. Choate, a Chris Petersen protégé, has taken the Bobcats from four wins to five to eight wins to 11 last year.
I think Choate stays, at least two more years.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:43 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:58 pm
Hawks86 wrote:

I hope you’re right.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:16 am

No way coach goes to Utah State. Logan, UT is a dump. Much like the dump in Logan, MT.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:16 am

Montanabob wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Yeah, I kind of doubt he'd leave to go to a school with nothing to play for besides a random December bowl game. Feldman is Choate's national mouthpiece so maybe he's just getting his name out there for exposure.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:50 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:16 am
Montanabob wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Yeah, I kind of doubt he'd leave to go to a school with nothing to play for besides a random December bowl game. Feldman is Choate's national mouthpiece so maybe he's just getting his name out there for exposure.
Besides he wants two more wins against the grizzlies in 21

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:44 am

Rumors, basically BS. Coach is not going anywhere, and he wont even consider going elsewhere until after his son Jory graduates.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 am

Andersen’s salary was about $900,000. I think Choate would take a serious look at the position if there was interest from Utah State.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:40 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 am
Andersen’s salary was about $900,000. I think Choate would take a serious look at the position if there was interest from Utah State.
Choate has already made millions in coaching, this will not be a choice about taking a higher paying job. It is about not changing horses in mid river, he has a job to finish, which is winning the Big sky and a national championship for Montana State university. It is also about his family, a son who he gets to coach and his wife an daughters who absolutely LOVE BOZEMAN MT. No chance he leaves for Utah State right now. [-X

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:56 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:40 am
The Butcher wrote:
Choate has already made millions in coaching, this will not be a choice about taking a higher paying job. It is about not changing horses in mid river, he has a job to finish, which is winning the Big sky and a national championship for Montana State university. It is also about his family, a son who he gets to coach and his wife an daughters who absolutely LOVE BOZEMAN MT. No chance he leaves for Utah State right now. [-X
I like the sentiment, but Choate could very easily move to Logan, Utah and take his wife and children with him. Will they miss Bozeman? Yes, absolutely. Can his son play ball at Utah State? Yes, absolutely. The salary is triple what he's making and I'm sure the perks are better, too. Hopefully they find someone they THINK is better. My guess is they think Jay Hill is better.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:26 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:56 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:40 am
The Butcher wrote:
I like the sentiment, but Choate could very easily move to Logan, Utah and take his wife and children with him. Will they miss Bozeman? Yes, absolutely. Can his son play ball at Utah State? Yes, absolutely. The salary is triple what he's making and I'm sure the perks are better, too. Hopefully they find someone they THINK is better. My guess is they think Jay Hill is better.
Jay Hill has arguably done more than Choate at Weber (I think Choate is better). Hill also knows Utah and how to recruit successfully. If Utah State went the FCS route, Hill would be a solid candidate.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:47 am

I'd actually be surprised if he didn't take the job if he was offered. I just don't think with the names being mentioned that he is offered the job.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:27 pm

I think head coaching jobs at that FBS level and the FCS level are very different. Choate is a teacher at heart and he loves engaging with his players, something he wouldn't be able to do as much at that level of the FBS. I think Choate has found his perfect job and isn't leaving anytime soon.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:44 pm

Hill yes Choate no. I would be truly shocked to see him leave right now. Is it going to happen, sure down the road, but he has an opportunity to really cement a higher profile job, but I think developing a consistent contender at MSU will require a couple of more years. I think family happiness is a huge deal for Coach Choate and letting his daughter finish high school in MT and son get through college is a major consideration.

I know nothing about Hill's family structure, but this seems like a great step for him. He is a very solid coach, been at Weber long enough to know what you are getting, and I think the type who can go to a middle of the road program and make them competitive.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:23 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:27 pm
I think head coaching jobs at that FBS level and the FCS level are very different. Choate is a teacher at heart and he loves engaging with his players, something he wouldn't be able to do as much at that level of the FBS. I think Choate has found his perfect job and isn't leaving anytime soon.
Why couldn’t he engage and teach the players as much at the FBS level as this level?