Spring football schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring football schedule

Post by coloradocat » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:25 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:59 pm
Look who has a cake walk this season.
If they lose one game they make the laughing stock of the conference.
They play 4 teams that were 2-6 in conference and one that was 3-5 in BSC last year.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thespe ... 6160831002
They'll lose when Weber comes to town and then they'll lose in Flagstaff.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:49 pm

Why does the Big Sky have two open weekends on March 20 and April 27? They could have started the season two weeks later and made the weather issue a little easier to deal with. Are they allowing non-conference games?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:11 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:49 pm
Why does the Big Sky have two open weekends on March 20 and April 27? They could have started the season two weeks later and made the weather issue a little easier to deal with. Are they allowing non-conference games?
They know there's no way 12 teams can make it through a two month season without a few outbreaks causing cancellations/postponements (see every conference playing this fall) . Those bye weeks are make up weeks. They can't allow non-conf games because of the make up game placeholders. As long as the good teams can get 6 games in that's enough to make the playoffs "legitimate".

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:25 pm

So is TV pretty much the best we can expect as far as watching games? And if limited crowds are allowed....who gets to take their chances with Covid-19?

2024 Resume dominance

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:08 pm

I can see it now.

Whoever loses Cat-Griz is definitely going to say it doesn’t count, for a multitude of reasons.

“We rested some/all starters!”

“We’re just waiting for the fall season, this farce doesn’t matter to anybody!”

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:08 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:11 pm
Cataholic wrote:
They know there's no way 12 teams can make it through a two month season without a few outbreaks causing cancellations/postponements (see every conference playing this fall) . Those bye weeks are make up weeks. They can't allow non-conf games because of the make up game placeholders. As long as the good teams can get 6 games in that's enough to make the playoffs "legitimate".
Sounds like a reasonable explanation.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:23 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:08 pm
I can see it now.

Whoever loses Cat-Griz is definitely going to say it doesn’t count, for a multitude of reasons.

“We rested some/all starters!”

“We’re just waiting for the fall season, this farce doesn’t matter to anybody!”
I already say those games shouldn't count toward anything. Nothing, nada. No individual stats for a player's career. No changes to a coaches record. No changes in team vs. team records. And talk about asterisks, the "national champ" will have a HUGE asterisk next to their name.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:25 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:25 pm
So is TV pretty much the best we can expect as far as watching games? And if limited crowds are allowed....who gets to take their chances with Covid-19?
I will!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:09 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:39 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:20 pm
Here are my hypothetical results for this hypothetical season.

2/27 - @ UCD W Even if we can't practice because of weather I still think we'll be more ready than any team from CA.
3/6 - @ Weber L Early season on the road against maybe the best team in the conference.
3/13 - UNC W Meh
3/27 - @ UM L Toss up. Choate has outcoached Hack with only one of prep 2x. What will he do with two weeks? I give Missoula the edge because they are at home and they're still burning over the last four years (especially the last two).
4/3 - EWU W Close win against a rising team that continues to build as the season progresses.
4/10 - ISU W Strong win to make a case for one of the limited playoff spots.

Hard to say if 4-2 would be enough to make the playoffs. If we lose Cat-griz we would finish 3rd in the conference.

I still think there's a chance we finish 0-0 just like everyone else.
I think we take the game in Missoula. Limited fans. And Choate will roll out all the options for that game. He knows how important it is.
That, and their biggest advantage has been taken from them.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:11 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:55 am
If we have a season, good luck to our second and third stringers! It will basically serve as a training camp to see who makes the fall roster.
Boy, this really got glazed over didn't it?

I don't think we play in the spring, but if we do this is exactly the way i would handle it. This season doesn't count so why hurt starters? Give the young guys a chance to make a meaningful impact on the team, who cares if you lose every game.

I'll still be there in person (when i can get a ticket) to cheer the guys on.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:00 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:11 am
VimSince03 wrote:
If we have a season, good luck to our second and third stringers! It will basically serve as a training camp to see who makes the fall roster.

I don't think we play in the spring, but if we do this is exactly the way i would handle it. This season doesn't count so why hurt starters? Give the young guys a chance to make a meaningful impact on the team, who cares if you lose every game.

I mean...I think most of the starters are going to give it a go. But any player who had offseason surgery in early or mid-2020 will likely not play (Troy being the biggest star). Also guys like Isaiah Ifanse may just be rested until next fall to give the other RB's room to compete.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:04 am

The big question might be: how many quarterbacks start or play meaningful minutes in the spring? It could turn out to be a live action QB competition.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:13 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:00 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I mean...I think most of the starters are going to give it a go. But any player who had offseason surgery in early or mid-2020 will likely not play (Troy being the biggest star). Also guys like Isaiah Ifanse may just be rested until next fall to give the other RB's room to compete.
I hope we plan on winning every game instead of playing 2 and 3 string.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:15 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:13 am
VimSince03 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I hope we plan on winning every game instead of playing 2 and 3 string.
Of course they want to win every game...but there is zero point to risk injury to players who need to be ready to roll for an actual season in Fall 2021.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:20 am

VimSince03 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I think Choate really likes his team in the fall of 2021. Tons of really good seniors. I bet he's conservative this spring too.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:27 am

This is an awesome opportunity to figure out our QB situation, and get the guys we like tons of live game reps.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:52 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:25 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:25 pm
I will!
I'm in!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:36 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:20 am
VimSince03 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I think Choate really likes his team in the fall of 2021. Tons of really good seniors. I bet he's conservative this spring too.
So are you saying he doesn't like his spring chances at a National Championship? I just don't like that response from anyone on the fan base, staff or administration.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:39 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:08 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:11 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sounds like a reasonable explanation.
Plus there is a very real possibility that one or more games could be postponed due to weather, for northern teams like MSU, UM, and EWU (especially MSU). We all know how unpredictable the weather can be in Bozeman during March and April. I know they never cancel or postpone games in the fall, regardless of the weather, but the possibility of getting a really bad storm is much greater in March and April, than in October and November, and there is really no way to reschedule games during an 11 or 12 game fall schedule. If you have a couple of conference wide open weeks built into the schedule, why not postpone a game rather than playing in really bad conditions, if you haven't had to use the open weeks for any COVID related postponements?

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:36 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:20 am
VimSince03 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

So are you saying he doesn't like his spring chances at a National Championship? I just don't like that response from anyone on the fan base, staff or administration.
I don't think he wants to tank this spring, I just think he likes his team more next fall once everybody is healthy and they're ready for a full season. I think guys like Troy Andersen will not play this spring in order to save him for fall.