The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 am

Is this the start of a trend or a one of a kind?

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Post by RationalGriz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:33 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 am
Is this the start of a trend or a one of a kind?

I can't imagine that there won't be more, just no telling how many.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:33 am

I assume the other CA schools and PSU aren't far behind. The restrictions are still preventing them from doing anything and aren't likely to be relaxed anytime soon.

At best the conference condenses to the following in the spring: MSU, WSU, UM, UI, ISU, SUU, EWU?, UNC?, NAU?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:16 am

Sac State is doing the right thing.

Unless they cancel the fall season again, how the heck are you going to have 6-8 games in the spring, then turn around and play a full fall season? You wanna talk about health risks?! That’s a bigger health risk than Covid for these young men.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:48 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:16 am

Unless they cancel the fall season again, how the heck are you going to have 6-8 games in the spring, then turn around and play a full fall season? You wanna talk about health risks?! That’s a bigger health risk than Covid for these young men.
Agree 100%. I don’t think Choate or Hauck will risk a spring schedule with restrictions for a fall one. They’ve both said as much really.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:49 am

bobcat99 wrote:

100%

I would expect most of the BSC to follow. Although it hasn't been announced I know 2 Frontier schools will be opting out of the spring season as well. I really don't think any conference will play in the spring, at any level. The whole "we're moving to spring" crap was just a gimmick to give everyone some hope.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:49 am
bobcat99 wrote:

100%

I would expect most of the BSC to follow. Although it hasn't been announced I know 2 Frontier schools will be opting out of the spring season as well. I really don't think any conference will play in the spring, at any level. The whole "we're moving to spring" crap was just a gimmick to give everyone some hope.
You are probably right. But imagine if you could put together a 6 team schedule and have ROOT/Pluto/etc. pay real money to carry all the games making the short season financially feasible (assuming limited or no attendance). Five weeks of football and call it good (basically spring ball on steroids). Probably not realistic, but it would be awesome to watch the Cats beat the griz again!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:32 pm

Didn't see this one coming! It's been a bluff all along as myself and several others have been saying.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Maybe it is Sac State making the leap to the WAC......

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:10 pm
Maybe it is Sac State making the leap to the WAC......
Always one smart ass in the crowd! :D :lol:

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:30 pm

bobcat99 wrote:

Just curious why you believe it is the right thing? I think I am understanding you to say it is the short turn-around to fall ball that makes it the right decision rather than Covid..... correct? I have seen the women's basketball schedule and Sac State women are currently on schedule to play the WBB team in the published 20 game schedule so I assume it is not a Covid issue for Sac State at this point.

My understanding is that the Big Sky has told teams they have to opt-in or opt-out by October 16 (tomorrow) for spring football.... so they can set the schedule. Guess we will see tomorrow. I understand our first game would be scheduled for late February if all goes forward....now where is our indoor practice facility when we need it?

Risk of injury is of course there but it seems like any team that played some games in the spring would be head and shoulders prepared better than those who didn't compete in spring ball. If we don't have a full schedule it sure would be nice to play a couple "real" games even if non-conference games in spring ball. Always a risk, but with perhaps as many as 85 folks on the roster (and a large number of 5th year seniors) we should be able to field a good spring and fall team regardless.

We will know more by end of the week....

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:05 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:30 pm
bobcat99 wrote:

Just curious why you believe it is the right thing? I think I am understanding you to say it is the short turn-around to fall ball that makes it the right decision rather than Covid..... correct? I have seen the women's basketball schedule and Sac State women are currently on schedule to play the WBB team in the published 20 game schedule so I assume it is not a Covid issue for Sac State at this point.

My understanding is that the Big Sky has told teams they have to opt-in or opt-out by October 16 (tomorrow) for spring football.... so they can set the schedule. Guess we will see tomorrow. I understand our first game would be scheduled for late February if all goes forward....now where is our indoor practice facility when we need it?

Risk of injury is of course there but it seems like any team that played some games in the spring would be head and shoulders prepared better than those who didn't compete in spring ball. If we don't have a full schedule it sure would be nice to play a couple "real" games even if non-conference games in spring ball. Always a risk, but with perhaps as many as 85 folks on the roster (and a large number of 5th year seniors) we should be able to field a good spring and fall team regardless.

Because of all the other conferences playing, back tracking from canceling fall sports and getting their seasons under way in late fall, I don't think Covid is an issue for sports anymore. Everyone understands there may be postponements and shutdowns because if it, but that's not stopping conferences from playing. So yes when it comes to football I believe injury risk and fall fatigue ate going to play huge factors in whether or not teams play in the spring.

Choate already hates spring ball. You see injuries like Jabari Johnson's torn ACL during what a lot of coaches consider pointless drills. I know he has said all the right things about playing in the spring, but there is no way he is happy about it. I would be willing to bet if the Cats don't opt out of a spring season that hardly any of the projected starters will play unless absolutely necessary. It will be a "season" to get a good look at a lot of young guys, and probably a nice way to see the QB competition play out.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:49 am

BobcatDel wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I think in a game that already produces serious injuries, short term and long term, having these student athletes play, then have a small break, and then play again is a terrible decision. It’s one that is not made with the student athletes best interests either.

If we’re not playing because of the safety issue of Covid, then how the hell can anybody justify a spring season and a fall season. It’s ******.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:11 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:49 am
BobcatDel wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I think in a game that already produces serious injuries, short term and long term, having these student athletes play, then have a small break, and then play again is a terrible decision. It’s one that is not made with the student athletes best interests either.

If we’re not playing because of the safety issue of Covid, then how the hell can anybody justify a spring season and a fall season. It’s ******.
Exactly. I was beating this drum way too much last spring. Covid can't be the end all be all when making safety decisions. We can't act like we're taking all these precautions in regards to covid safety, and then trot these kids on the field in grueling spring conditions, let them rest for a few months, and then play a full fall season. I just don't see it happening.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:58 am

I'm curious if the universities really don't think a spring season is happening. I hope they don't have their minds made up. Some on here have had their minds made up for months and I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just haven't made up my mind yet. But what worries me is the thought that universities have known for months that we're not playing until September of 2021 and they're not telling athletes. I know this year can be considered a zero year, but could it also be considered a "sit-out" year if a player would've transferred? I think plenty of players, had they known that this was a done deal months ago, would have gone ahead and transferred, especially from other FCS schools with a weaker program. Worst case scenario they would sit out a year either way. Maybe the universities know there won't be football in the spring and this is all a show just to keep players (and fan bases?) engaged. Tell a kid he's got a year and a half off, and there are probably plenty who wouldn't stay in shape, or stay in school for that matter.

I hope universities think there will be some sort of season in the spring. I hope these schools aren't stringing kids along intentionally, and that this carrot they're dangling (football in this school year) is real. I'm not saying it's a good idea to play a full season in the spring and then turn around and play in the fall. I get the argument against that. I don't know what the solution is, but I hope there's a way to keep student athletes engaged and happy and still have transparency with them. If somebody (NCAA, BSC, MSU) knows there won't be football in the spring and they're not saying it to the players, that's disappointing and unfair to athletes.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:21 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:58 am
I'm curious if the universities really don't think a spring season is happening. I hope they don't have their minds made up. Some on here have had their minds made up for months and I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just haven't made up my mind yet. But what worries me is the thought that universities have known for months that we're not playing until September of 2021 and they're not telling athletes. I know this year can be considered a zero year, but could it also be considered a "sit-out" year if a player would've transferred? I think plenty of players, had they known that this was a done deal months ago, would have gone ahead and transferred, especially from other FCS schools with a weaker program. Worst case scenario they would sit out a year either way. Maybe the universities know there won't be football in the spring and this is all a show just to keep players (and fan bases?) engaged. Tell a kid he's got a year and a half off, and there are probably plenty who wouldn't stay in shape, or stay in school for that matter.

I hope universities think there will be some sort of season in the spring. I hope these schools aren't stringing kids along intentionally, and that this carrot they're dangling (football in this school year) is real. I'm not saying it's a good idea to play a full season in the spring and then turn around and play in the fall. I get the argument against that. I don't know what the solution is, but I hope there's a way to keep student athletes engaged and happy and still have transparency with them. If somebody (NCAA, BSC, MSU) knows there won't be football in the spring and they're not saying it to the players, that's disappointing and unfair to athletes.
What actions over the last six months have led you to believe the possibility that the schools and conference aren't just stringing everyone along?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:33 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:21 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:

What actions over the last six months have led you to believe the possibility that the schools and conference aren't just stringing everyone along?
I don't know, other than the fact that they're saying they don't know. We can choose to believe that or not. To be clear, what I mean by stringing people along is knowing there won't be football in the spring and essentially lying about it. I hope that's not the case. I don't know that there's any evidence they are or aren't doing that.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:33 am
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:21 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:

I don't know, other than the fact that they're saying they don't know. We can choose to believe that or not. To be clear, what I mean by stringing people along is knowing there won't be football in the spring and essentially lying about it. I hope that's not the case. I don't know that there's any evidence they are or aren't doing that.
Every organization in the country right now is unsure of what the future holds in regard to Covid. That applies to schools, governments, businesses, etc. There is zero reason to believe the situation would be any different with our school.

And let’s not forget that these kids all get the benefit of a top notch education while at MSU. Nothing has changed there.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:15 pm

I think kennethnoisewater brings up a valid point but I also think there's a bigger thing that's being missed in this whole equation. Class of 21 is going to get screwed as they come in they're not going to be able to get scholarships to schools that they should have. They're not going to get the D1 scholarships they're going to have to go to a D2 school for a year and see if they can make anything happen there and hope they can transfer later. That whole group is going to be crushed in the we got too many people already here that are going to stay here to get a scholarship to D1

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:09 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:15 pm
I think kennethnoisewater brings up a valid point but I also think there's a bigger thing that's being missed in this whole equation. Class of 21 is going to get screwed as they come in they're not going to be able to get scholarships to schools that they should have. They're not going to get the D1 scholarships they're going to have to go to a D2 school for a year and see if they can make anything happen there and hope they can transfer later. That whole group is going to be crushed in the we got too many people already here that are going to stay here to get a scholarship to D1
This is the biggest issue in my mind. You might have 120 kids committed to the program next year, but can only award 63 scholarships among 85 kids. The NCAA has to adjust the rule for the next couple of years or kids will get screwed. I am actually amazed that this hasn’t occurred yet.