Scholarships and Eligability

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Scholarships and Eligability

Post by gtapp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:54 am

My understanding is that if we play in the Spring it will not count as a year of eligibility so this years Seniors can play again next fall and that true freshmen remain true freshmen. Is that correct? I also heard that the number of scholarships does not increase from our current 63 next year so we will have to limit both the number of Seniors that come back next year and the number of new recruits coming in next year.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Scholarships and Eligability

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:07 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:54 am
My understanding is that if we play in the Spring it will not count as a year of eligibility so this years Seniors can play again next fall and that true freshmen remain true freshmen. Is that correct? I also heard that the number of scholarships does not increase from our current 63 next year so we will have to limit both the number of Seniors that come back next year and the number of new recruits coming in next year.
Correct. Attrition will happen either naturally (players graduate or retire) or forcefully (players get cut).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:24 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:07 pm
gtapp wrote:
Correct. Attrition will happen either naturally (players graduate or retire) or forcefully (players get cut).
So then our 2020 freshmen get 6 years to play 4?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:25 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Has the scholarship question been finalized? I know this is essentially a "redshirt" year for everyone but I wasn't aware they had determined whether scholarship numbers would change in the short term or not.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:28 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:24 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
I thought it was 6 years to play 5 now for this group of freshmen

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Is the decision to keep the scholarship cap at 63 and NCAA decision or MSU decision?

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:45 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:31 pm
Is the decision to keep the scholarship cap at 63 and NCAA decision or MSU decision?
I was under the impression that it was an NCAA decision that has been made to hold scholarships at the current limit. Makes it tough to carry over Seniors and bring in enough freshmen.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Found this tidbit on that there Google. I assume the same goes for FCS and 63.
The NCAA did say that all football programs will be allowed to go over its allowed 85 scholarships for the 2021 season. So programs would be able to sign the same amount of 2021 recruits it would have anyway.

But it didn’t say anything about 2022 and beyond.
https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Arti ... 151810273/

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Ultimately it may not matter. With the financial hit that every non-FBS school is taking this year, most probably won't be able to afford increasing scholarships much, or at all, anyway.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:38 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:31 pm
The school can always not award 85/63 scholarships. Idaho did that when they were in FBS or FCS they couldn't afford to scholarships and they couldn't get the students to go there to play football so they didn't have a full 85 students on roster. Montana State not required to have 63 fully awarded scholarships and I think somewhere in our past discussion when Choate got here he wasn't at 63 fully awarded

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:27 am

Sounds like it is REALLY important to #Planttheflag and help these young men and women out

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:45 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:28 pm
gtapp wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Anyone on the current roster gets an additional year, but any incoming Freshman for next year currently is still 5 to play 4 from my understanding.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:11 pm

RationalGriz wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:45 am
Montanabob wrote:
gtapp wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Anyone on the current roster gets an additional year, but any incoming Freshman for next year currently is still 5 to play 4 from my understanding.
Sure hope to see a lot of players leaving with master's degrees! That would be some great lemonade from these lemons.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:17 pm

RationalGriz wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
gtapp wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
The NCAA Division I board of directors voted Friday to give all fall sport student-athletes an additional year of eligibility and an additional year to complete it through a blanket waiver.Aug 21, 2020

So this applies to all playing football and that incudes 2020 freshman. so isn't that 6 to play 5?

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:17 pm
RationalGriz wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
gtapp wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
The NCAA Division I board of directors voted Friday to give all fall sport student-athletes an additional year of eligibility and an additional year to complete it through a blanket waiver.Aug 21, 2020

So this applies to all playing football and that incudes 2020 freshman. so isn't that 6 to play 5?
I don't believe so, since incoming 2020 Freshman would not be in school until Fall of 2020, so after the August 21 date. So it only would apply to players currently on the roster for this school year.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:49 pm

Simply this year does not count athletically.

HiLineCat

Post by HiLineCat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:47 pm

I had a thought on this. You have your high school seniors this year wait till January 2021 to enroll, basically "grayshirting" them all. Hopefully most of the fall 2020 seniors would graduate after the fall semester and their scholarship money would be available the for the grayshirts. Hopefully this can keep the number of athletes on scholarship down to a number we can handle. They can get in the weight room starting that January and take in spring ball in 2021.

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:07 pm

HiLineCat wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:47 pm
I had a thought on this. You have your high school seniors this year wait till January 2021 to enroll, basically "grayshirting" them all. Hopefully most of the fall 2020 seniors would graduate after the fall semester and their scholarship money would be available the for the grayshirts. Hopefully this can keep the number of athletes on scholarship down to a number we can handle. They can get in the weight room starting that January and take in spring ball in 2021.
This can be done to a point, but you will run into scholarship availability issues the following year again, since you replaced you Seniors with greyshirts. No matter how it works out, the scholarships could be an issue for season to come depending on how you decide to handle them.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 pm

RationalGriz wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:07 pm
HiLineCat wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:47 pm
This can be done to a point, but you will run into scholarship availability issues the following year again, since you replaced you Seniors with greyshirts. No matter how it works out, the scholarships could be an issue for season to come depending on how you decide to handle them.
My understanding is Choate has ended recruiting for this years class so he can bring back many of the seniors next year. The O-Line next fall will be amazing!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN