Fall Brawl

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Fall Brawl

Post by Montanabob » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:34 pm

Offense needs to step it up

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:07 pm

Sounds like Danny U is playing well.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:08 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:07 pm
Best player on the field today I think.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:10 pm

Gilman interception ends it 14-7.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:10 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:08 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:07 pm
Best player on the field today I think.
Bold statement, but I no reason to doubt you.

toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:15 pm

Guys that really impressed today.

Danny Uluilakepa - He's gonna be a contributor for 4 years. And a stud for most of that time.
Ben Seymour - The Blue O line had a tough time with him all day and he made some really nice plays.
Tadan Gillman - Looked quicker than he ever had and was tackling really well.
Elijah Elliott - Looks like he's ready to touch the ball a lot. Smaller version of Ifanse. Never went down on first contact.
Matt McKay - Didn't throw the ball super well but made some really nice throws from the pocket and on the run.
Bryce Leighton - Has a leg!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:24 pm

Also, we had quite a few of our seniors not playing, right? I don’t remember seeing guys like Chase Benson, Amandre,Tiu, etc.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:01 pm

Some good, some bad, some ugly. About what to expect from a fall scrimmage.

Gillman stood out the most to me.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Danny U!!!! Wow, looks like we got a really good one here!

Here is a crazy question- is he already the best LB on the team behind TA?! Call me crazy, but that was my thought after watching the scrimmage.

Yes, I get it... just one scrimmage, mostly against 2nd and 3rd string guys... but it’s clear that Danny U is on that “next level”, he has the It factor, or whatever you want to call it. Reminded me of watching Mac Bignell.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:45 pm

Tadan Gilman also had a great day.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:00 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:05 pm

Disappointed the quarterback play

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Hard to take too much away from the scrum. Teams mix/matched. Playcalling by multiple people. Lots of starters resting. Lots of young guys were spotlighted.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:58 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:05 pm
:roll: of course you find something to complain about. What about McKay disappointed you? First "game" in a year for him, after not much practice time over the last 6 months. He missed some throws for sure but made some really nice throws as well. The pick by Manning was a little high but a fantastic defensive play.

Bauman looked way better than last year. The pick was a terrible throw but he made some nice throws as well. Showed much better accuracy.

And neither o line was full of starters. The QBs didn't have a whole lot of time to throw too often.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:04 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Keep in mind they were throwing into a terrible cross wind all scrimmage. They all took shots.

Thought McKay moved the offense the best in terms of keeping everything in rythym. His first pick was a seem throw to Steel where Manning bodied himsellf into Steel to make a grest pick. Potentially could've been pass interference but loved to see Manning's ball hawking instinct! He overthrew McCutcheon a few times but also thought Lance should've came down with at least one. His running ability was as advertised in terms of what he can do outside the pocket. He's not Chris Murray or Troy when he takes off but he is aware of where he needs to get to and can get the job done. Again, he reminds me of Denarius when he's moving outside the pocket. Overall, encouraged with his early chemistry with Coy.

Tucker had a very "Tucker Rovig" type of day. At times looked completely in control but other times he did something that made you scratch your head. Again, wind played a factor but he was really trying to push the ball downfield to Jaden Smith (who is coming along nicely). Like Lance, Jaden could have come down with a few of the incompletions. Also thought Tucker's clock was quicker than years past. However, his pick to Jobman was a seem throw with zero chance of a completion for the WR. I definitely think he's the likely #2 and will push McKay the most this spring but again...he's still very streaky.

And then there's Casey Bauman. His arm talent is so legit as he made one throw 25 yards to Lance while fading back in the pocket. Its a throw that makes you want to see more...but I still see the same problems with Casey fron last year. Struggles with rythym throws (timing is always a bit off), doesn't hit open receivers, technique is still eratic, and production leaves a lot to be desired. I just don't know if Casey fits in this offense...at least at QB.

Tommy Mellott got some time and really didn't throw much. Took a few zone reads himself but overall he showcased what he's currently good at coming out of high school...being an athlete. His time will come.

Blake Thelen had a decent day. Had a few nice throws and also a few head scratchers. But I was very encouraged how comfortable he was in the read option game as his gives or takes were usually the right reads. I don't know...I guess I just don't see that big of a gap between Bauman and Thelen but maybe I'm missing something with Casey.

Overall, people need to remember this was a scrimmage with evenly split teams on both sides. Offensive lines and defensive lines were mixed up so there weren't any real 1st or 2nd team units. This is why you have to look for the small things with the QBs. Thought McKay offered the most in terms of dynamic play where it actually looked like we had a threat at QB. I'm going to rewatch the whole scrimmage on my own time because what else is there to do this fall and I'll have a better analysis then.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:21 pm

I agree with pretty much everything Vim said. McKay is the real deal and should be a good Big Sky quarterback, but I am worried about his decision making. He seems to throw into coverage a lot. I think he had a couple of completions to receivers with 3 to 4 defenders around the receiver. Not sure if that is sustainable.

Also would have liked to see Mellot throw the ball a little. His arm and accuracy is going to surprise a lot of people.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:52 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:58 pm
Montanabob wrote:
:roll: of course you find something to complain about. What about McKay disappointed you? First "game" in a year for him, after not much practice time over the last 6 months. He missed some throws for sure but made some really nice throws as well. The pick by Manning was a little high but a fantastic defensive play.

Bauman looked way better than last year. The pick was a terrible throw but he made some nice throws as well. Showed much better accuracy.

And neither o line was full of starters. The QBs didn't have a whole lot of time to throw too often.
And of course you would call someone out for stating the obvious negative. :roll: It’s not always roses, the QB play was mediocre at best. This isn’t a normal fall scrimmage, there has been plenty of practices and reps.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:21 pm
I agree with pretty much everything Vim said. McKay is the real deal and should be a good Big Sky quarterback, but I am worried about his decision making. He seems to throw into coverage a lot. I think he had a couple of completions to receivers with 3 to 4 defenders around the receiver. Not sure if that is sustainable.

Also would have liked to see Mellot throw the ball a little. His arm and accuracy is going to surprise a lot of people.
He is the real deal but you are worried about his decision making....k bud.

If your left, you aren’t right.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:52 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:58 pm
Montanabob wrote:

And of course you would call someone out for stating the obvious negative. :roll: It’s not always roses, the QB play was mediocre at best. This isn’t a normal fall scrimmage, there has been plenty of practices and reps.
Says the guy who is nothing but doom and gloom even through a semifinal run :lol: McKay was not disappointing at all. He showed more than we have seen from the QB position in 5 years.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:11 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:04 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Keep in mind they were throwing into a terrible cross wind all scrimmage. They all took shots.

Thought McKay moved the offense the best in terms of keeping everything in rythym. His first pick was a seem throw to Steel where Manning bodied himsellf into Steel to make a grest pick. Potentially could've been pass interference but loved to see Manning's ball hawking instinct! He overthrew McCutcheon a few times but also thought Lance should've came down with at least one. His running ability was as advertised in terms of what he can do outside the pocket. He's not Chris Murray or Troy when he takes off but he is aware of where he needs to get to and can get the job done. Again, he reminds me of Denarius when he's moving outside the pocket. Overall, encouraged with his early chemistry with Coy.

Tucker had a very "Tucker Rovig" type of day. At times looked completely in control but other times he did something that made you scratch your head. Again, wind played a factor but he was really trying to push the ball downfield to Jaden Smith (who is coming along nicely). Like Lance, Jaden could have come down with a few of the incompletions. Also thought Tucker's clock was quicker than years past. However, his pick to Jobman was a seem throw with zero chance of a completion for the WR. I definitely think he's the likely #2 and will push McKay the most this spring but again...he's still very streaky.

And then there's Casey Bauman. His arm talent is so legit as he made one throw 25 yards to Lance while fading back in the pocket. Its a throw that makes you want to see more...but I still see the same problems with Casey fron last year. Struggles with rythym throws (timing is always a bit off), doesn't hit open receivers, technique is still eratic, and production leaves a lot to be desired. I just don't know if Casey fits in this offense...at least at QB.

Tommy Mellott got some time and really didn't throw much. Took a few zone reads himself but overall he showcased what he's currently good at coming out of high school...being an athlete. His time will come.

Blake Thelen had a decent day. Had a few nice throws and also a few head scratchers. But I was very encouraged how comfortable he was in the read option game as his gives or takes were usually the right reads. I don't know...I guess I just don't see that big of a gap between Bauman and Thelen but maybe I'm missing something with Casey.

Overall, people need to remember this was a scrimmage with evenly split teams on both sides. Offensive lines and defensive lines were mixed up so there weren't any real 1st or 2nd team units. This is why you have to look for the small things with the QBs. Thought McKay offered the most in terms of dynamic play where it actually looked like we had a threat at QB. I'm going to rewatch the whole scrimmage on my own time because what else is there to do this fall and I'll have a better analysis then.
What about Snell at Wildcat? I certainly wasn't expecting that one. He did a pretty decent job. :D

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter