Masks in Montana

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Masks in Montana

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:03 am

333 new cases yesterday. Montana is now in the top 18 states per capita.

Is the mask mandate helping? Not helping?

With the social distancing and mask wearing I’m blown away by these numbers.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:16 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:03 am

Yeah, those are legitimate questions. It would be interesting to know what the contract tracing is showing.
A huge number of the cases are occurring in 5 or 6 counties.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:

Neighboring North Dakota and South Dakota have NO mask requirements and poor contact tracing. The daily cases in those two states make Montana look like chumps.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:51 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Neighboring North Dakota and South Dakota have NO mask requirements and poor contact tracing. The daily cases in those two states make Montana look like chumps.
According to worldometers.com Montana is 43rd, not 18th in cases per capita. ND is 12th and SD is 17th. So I'd say, yes, the mask mandate is helping.
ND had 470 yesterday, SD had 463.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:01 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:51 am
The Butcher wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

According to worldometers.com Montana is 43rd, not 18th in cases per capita. ND is 12th and SD is 17th. So I'd say, yes, the mask mandate is helping.
South Dakota also has questionable recording of positive cases. My understanding is the results go to the "permanent" residency even if the test is taken locally so many of the positive cases at colleges are not being recorded in South Dakota.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:13 am

There is more testing happening now as well, so there's that.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:32 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:13 am
There is more testing happening now as well, so there's that.
Yes, we are testing more. However, we're 21st in tests per million. ND is 19th. SD is 45th. So SD tests among the least in the country, but is 17th in cases. I wonder what their cases would be if they tested as frequently as Montana and ND.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:57 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am
Yet South Dakota has one of the lowest death rates in the country.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:16 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:51 am
The Butcher wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Thanks Iaa, I know I heard 18 in the nation. Glad you had the actual stats. 43rd is WAY better.

Maybe the 18th was growth in the last month or two? I definitely heard it so probably got the statistic wrong on what it meant.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:09 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:57 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am
Yet South Dakota has one of the lowest death rates in the country.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/
Hmmmmmmm.......

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:33 am

MT is exploding this week in cases and hospitalizations. What are thoughts now?
I haven't followed ND or SD numbers. Have they dropped since it was discussed above?
In my humble opinion it seems like we were just behind them on the virus taking a good foothold here. Maybe masks helped to kick the can down the road a bit longer?
Either way our trends are not going in a good direction. 5,000+ tests today could help push the number up, but an 11% positive rate...

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:50 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:33 am
I haven't followed ND or SD numbers. Have they dropped since it was discussed above?
In my humble opinion it seems like we were just behind them on the virus taking a good foothold here. Maybe masks helped to kick the can down the road a bit longer?
Either way our trends are not going in a good direction. 5,000+ tests today could help push the number up, but an 11% positive rate...
I agree. IMO the trends aren't going in a good direction here. SD had 12 deaths and ND six in today's report, lots of cases for both, so not dropping off there.

Just need to keep encouraging people to keep a good distance, wash hands and wear a mask. I think everyone hopes that this will trend downward soon.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:38 pm

They were talking about mask wearing in Montana this morning on the radio. Well, actually the perception of mask wearing. And It was pretty interesting. I think I have seen the same thing on this very board.

Basically, those of us that are so supportive of masks being the number one factor in fighting Covid view it differently than those of us that wear masks because we have to but think there are many other factors just as important. The first group looks around and feels like SO many people are not wearing them. Anyone not wearing a mask kind of jumps out at them because they disagree with them so much.

On the flip side, a guy like me who wears masks because I have to, I look around and feel like every single person around me is masked up. Non-mask wearers seem to be like 1 in a 100 to me.

It's just interesting how two people can be in the exact same location and see things so differently.

The passion in regards to masks is still fascinating to me all these months later

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:53 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
South Dakota is doing terrible. We had a record number of cases yesterday of 1,030. Positivity rate is above 20%. Hospitalizations are increasing and it has been reported patients have been taken to Minnesota. We are averaging about 10 deaths per day. The Governor has no interest in implementing any type of strategies to mitigate the spread of the virus (there will be NO MASK mandate). She has encouraged mass gatherings (Sturgis, State Fair, PBR rodeo, etc.). She used $5,000,000 from the CARES Act on tourism advertising and has earmarked an additional $15,000,000 for more advertising. As a local health official recently told me, “South Dakota is going to be a real s*** show in about 3 weeks.”
Last edited by The Butcher on Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:55 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:38 pm
They were talking about mask wearing in Montana this morning on the radio. Well, actually the perception of mask wearing. And It was pretty interesting. I think I have seen the same thing on this very board.

Basically, those of us that are so supportive of masks being the number one factor in fighting Covid view it differently than those of us that wear masks because we have to but think there are many other factors just as important. The first group looks around and feels like SO many people are not wearing them. Anyone not wearing a mask kind of jumps out at them because they disagree with them so much.

On the flip side, a guy like me who wears masks because I have to, I look around and feel like every single person around me is masked up. Non-mask wearers seem to be like 1 in a 100 to me.

It's just interesting how two people can be in the exact same location and see things so differently.

The passion in regards to masks is still fascinating to me all these months later
I don't think masks are the No.1 factor, are they?. I think distancing is first, and washing hands is second, but I could be wrong on that. I guess there are those that think masks are No.1, if that's what you're saying. Everything helps and we need to stay with or it can start to increase.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:57 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:53 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
South Dakota is doing terrible. We had a record number of cases yesterday of 1,030. Positivity rate is above 20%. Hospitalizations are increasing and it has been reported patients have been taken to Minnesota. We are averaging about 10 deaths per day. The Governor has no interest in implementing any type of strategies to mitigate the spread of the virus (there will be NO MASK mandate). She has encouraged mass gatherings (Sturgis, State Fair, PBR rodeo, etc.). She used $5,000,000 from the CARES Act on tourism advertising and has earmarked an additional $15,000,000 for more advertising. As a local health official recently told me, “South Dakota is going to be a real s*** show in about 3 weeks.”
Are the Pro-Life people in SD upset with the governor? I would think they made up a huge portion of her voters and I suppose they're up in arms right now.

Speaking of SD, what happened in the incident where the AG hit and killed a pedestrian, but thought it was a deer?

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:13 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:57 pm

Are the Pro-Life people in SD upset with the governor? I would think they made up a huge portion of her voters and I suppose they're up in arms right now.

Speaking of SD, what happened in the incident where the AG hit and killed a pedestrian, but thought it was a deer?
I would say the majority of South Dakotans don't think COVID is a big deal. I would guess 1/3 wear a mask in my town (I have heard small towns basically don't wear masks at all). People do follow the rules if a business requires masks (Walmart, Kohls, Target, etc.), so there haven't been any reported incidents. I wouldn't say people like the Governor, but I wouldn't say they hate her either. She barely beat a Democrat two years ago in a VERY red state, and I don't think opinions have changed much during the pandemic. She has been on the campaign trail for Trump, so she is almost never in the State right now.

No one knows anything about the AG case. No information has been released to the media for weeks.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:49 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:55 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

I don't think masks are the No.1 factor, are they?. I think distancing is first, and washing hands is second, but I could be wrong on that. I guess there are those that think masks are No.1, if that's what you're saying. Everything helps and we need to stay with or it can start to increase.
I'm talking about the perception. Masks are THEE hot button issue. It's all anyone talks about. I have seen fights in stores stemming from masks. Go read any of the comments in articles about cases rising. Immediately there were be tons of them saying the only reason cases are up is because of masks. Everything from signs outside of businesses, talk on the radio, articles in papers, and stories in the media all regard masks. I'm just not seeing the same social impact as things like hand washing, gas pumps without gloves, bars and restaurants without masks, traveling etc.

That was my only point

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:54 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:49 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:55 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

I'm talking about the perception. Masks are THEE hot button issue. It's all anyone talks about. I have seen fights in stores stemming from masks. Go read any of the comments in articles about cases rising. Immediately there were be tons of them saying the only reason cases are up is because of masks. Everything from signs outside of businesses, talk on the radio, articles in papers, and stories in the media all regard masks. I'm just not seeing the same social impact as things like hand washing, gas pumps without gloves, bars and restaurants without masks, traveling etc.

That was my only point
I see, thanks. I'm a little dense, but I get what you're saying. Yes, masks are the iconic symbol with Covid-19. They are the most visible. Perhaps if everyone carried Eric Cartman's "six-feet stick" around, then distancing would take the masks place.