Off season random *^%$

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by AFCAT » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:25 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:44 pm

Some observations here:

- Matt McKay throws a rocket...

- ...which unfortunately landed right in the hands of true freshman LB Danny Uluilakepa!

- Jaharie Martin with some first team reps in the backfield. He, Hosey, and Lane Sumner all will have opportunities to carry the load as Isaiah (and Troy) sit out this spring. Also, Hosey had an incredible offseason per the people I've talked to.

- Cool moment alert! Chase Benson ran with Danny down the sideline to cheer him on into the endzone.

- Holy smokes we have football!
I know Isaiah decided to red shirt this year, but I thought the whole 2020/Spring 2021 was a zero year that didn't count against anyone. Why would Isaiah sit out Spring games if they wouldn't count against his eligibility?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:30 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:25 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Some observations here:

- ...which unfortunately landed right in the hands of true freshman LB Danny Uluilakepa!

- Jaharie Martin with some first team reps in the backfield. He, Hosey, and Lane Sumner all will have opportunities to carry the load as Isaiah (and Troy) sit out this spring. Also, Hosey had an incredible offseason per the people I've talked to.

- Cool moment alert! Chase Benson ran with Danny down the sideline to cheer him on into the endzone.

I know Isaiah decided to red shirt this year, but I thought the whole 2020/Spring 2021 was a zero year that didn't count against anyone. Why would Isaiah sit out Spring games if they wouldn't count against his eligibility?
Yup it doesn't count against anyone's eligibility. Wasn't offseason surgery also on the table for him (along with Troy)? Using it as a "get healthy" year. So yeah...I thought it was more of a health thing.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:13 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:30 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:25 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Some observations here:

Yup it doesn't count against anyone's eligibility. Wasn't offseason surgery also on the table for him (along with Troy)? Using it as a "get healthy" year. So yeah...I thought it was more of a health thing.
I have no idea if he had a surgery. I know Ifanse had that leg problem early in the year but I thought that wasn't serious. Anyway, amazing how loaded with top talent that backfield is.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:34 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:37 pm
Trey Lance, QB at NDSU has declared for the NFL draft

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-top- ... 08951.html
His Pro Day vs CAU must’ve went well.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:38 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

If you get a chance go watch the play Benson makes vs Davis late third/early fourth. MSU gets a big stop and Benson gets no credit, but takes on 2-3 OL while Sterk makes the tackle. Believe it was a fourth down attempt.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:49 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:38 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

If you get a chance go watch the play Benson makes vs Davis late third/early fourth. MSU gets a big stop and Benson gets no credit, but takes on 2-3 OL while Sterk makes the tackle. Believe it was a fourth down attempt.
I remember that play!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:48 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:35 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:11 pm
Some observations here:

- Matt McKay is a different QB then what MSU has had over the past two years (maybe since Prukop took his final snap).

- The starting o-line here is (LT-RT): Connor Wood, Zach Redd, Taylor Tuiasosopo, Lewis Kidd, Joe McElroy.

- Coaches really liked Zach at guard when he was a redshirt freshman in 2018 and wanted to experiment with Tui at center. Appears this combo is working.

- Saw McElroy at RT and immediately checked the roster for #61 Jake Sessions (started at RT all season after Wood went down with injury) and he isn't listed anymore. Choate did say some of our seniors were slated to graduate this December and Jake appears to be one of them. He's likely moving on with his CET degree.

- This is against the second team defense and Brody Grebe is #15 coming off the edge at the Buck position.
Not trying to do a comparison but just wondering how McKay looks as far as speed, being elusive, etc.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:52 am

RickRund wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:48 am
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Some observations here:

- Matt McKay is a different QB then what MSU has had over the past two years (maybe since Prukop took his final snap).

- The starting o-line here is (LT-RT): Connor Wood, Zach Redd, Taylor Tuiasosopo, Lewis Kidd, Joe McElroy.

- Coaches really liked Zach at guard when he was a redshirt freshman in 2018 and wanted to experiment with Tui at center. Appears this combo is working.

- Saw McElroy at RT and immediately checked the roster for #61 Jake Sessions (started at RT all season after Wood went down with injury) and he isn't listed anymore. Choate did say some of our seniors were slated to graduate this December and Jake appears to be one of them. He's likely moving on with his CET degree.

- This is against the second team defense and Brody Grebe is #15 coming off the edge at the Buck position.
Not trying to do a comparison but just wondering how McKay looks as far as speed, being elusive, etc.
Lets just say MSU finally has a QB who can create outside of structure again meaning keeping a play alive when things break down.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:20 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:52 am
RickRund wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Some observations here:

Lets just say MSU finally has a QB who can create outside of structure again meaning keeping a play alive when things break down.
Made me go back and look at his HUDL and NC State highlites. \:D/

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:46 am

VimSince03 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Some observations here:

Man, can you just imagine McKay, Andersen, and Ifanse in the backfield at the same time or even one of those three back sets that includes Hosey? =D^

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:08 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:46 am
VimSince03 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Some observations here:

Man, can you just imagine McKay, Andersen, and Ifanse in the backfield at the same time or even one of those three back sets that includes Hosey? =D^
If McKay can push the ball down field or at least be efficient in the passing game while also being a threat with his legs, the offense is going to be incredibly hard to stop.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:10 am

I really didn't think McKay looked all that fast when I watched his NC State highlights. I mean fast enough yes, but not break an 80 yard TD run fast. Looks pretty fast in that video.

He also looks a bit smaller (skinnier) than I thought he did in those same highlights, I'm wondering if he shed a few pounds to be more of a running threat for MSU. I do see his last year at NC State has him at 214 and MSU has him at 208.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:48 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:10 am
I really didn't think McKay looked all that fast when I watched his NC State highlights. I mean fast enough yes, but not break an 80 yard TD run fast. Looks pretty fast in that video.

He also looks a bit smaller (skinnier) than I thought he did in those same highlights, I'm wondering if he shed a few pounds to be more of a running threat for MSU. I do see his last year at NC State has him at 214 and MSU has him at 208.
Places I've looked at have him as a 4.7-4.8 40. Definitely not as fast as Murray, Jonsen, Andersen.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:52 pm

"Acting Voice of the Bobcats" Jeff Choate interviews Xavier Bishop:

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:19 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:52 pm
"Acting Voice of the Bobcats" Jeff Choate interviews Xavier Bishop:

They should take the "Acting" part out of his title and just add this to his job. Always fun to see Choate in front of a camera.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:03 am

I didn't realize Choate was really a closet basketballer - he fit his own description of always wanting to have the "ball" in this interview. Fun stuff.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:36 am

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:20 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:36 am
Good idea and hopefully instill the right values in sports for these kids to strive to be a future bobcat.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:01 pm

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:02 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:01 pm
Act like you've been there before.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/ta ... -ntp-feeds
Absolutely, never, ever, should players have fun. This is serious business.