Spring Playoffs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Spring Playoffs

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:31 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:22 am
Listen - I love football and I'm just as big of a Bobcat supporter than anyone on this page. I've played the game, and I've been a season ticket holder for a loooooooong time. But spring football is a bad idea. Period.

I honestly can't believe we are so desperate for college football that we are willing to risk player safety so they can play a handful of games in the spring (which will really amount to a meaningless season) and turn right around in only 1-2 months time and have them start fall practices and play another 11-14 games in the fall! Can you imagine the physical toll that playing 20 games or more in the span of 10 months will take on these athletes? I don't care how young or how great of shape they are in - that's far more than they should endure.

The shear physicality of football alone makes this sport much harder than other sports to have multiple seasons in one year. How many times have we seen a guy tear up a knee or a shoulder, only to rehab it in the off-season and come back to full strength the next season? Well, forget about that with spring ball. Somebody sustains like an injury like that in spring, they're done. You won't get them back for fall. What about the potential for higher concussion rates without letting the head & brain have time to rest & recover? I can imagine those numbers would dramatically increase in the fall after having played a full spring season just weeks before. And then there is the issue of soft tissue damage that is endured during a season. You think the bumps/bruises/sprains/aches/pains are gonna just work themselves out in a matter of a month between seasons?

And where will our guys practice - the fieldhouse? Forget about it. You can do walk-throughs, or shoulder pads & helmets, but you're not gonna be able to do full contact. And you need full contact in order to be adequately prepared for live-action. The stadium? Have any of you ever been on the field in the dead of winter? I have. It's slicker than snot. You need to have good footing while you are working on your routes, blocking, etc. Can you imagine the amount of ankle injuries our guys will sustain before a spring season even starts?

Football is a dangerous game even during normal times. It's a risk than anyone accepts when they suit up. But in my opinion, this more than doubles those risks. If colleges allow their student-athletes to play two seasons in one year, please don't ever talk to me again about concerns for player safety.
THIS!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:31 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:22 am
Listen - I love football and I'm just as big of a Bobcat supporter than anyone on this page. I've played the game, and I've been a season ticket holder for a loooooooong time. But spring football is a bad idea. Period.

I honestly can't believe we are so desperate for college football that we are willing to risk player safety so they can play a handful of games in the spring (which will really amount to a meaningless season) and turn right around in only 1-2 months time and have them start fall practices and play another 11-14 games in the fall! Can you imagine the physical toll that playing 20 games or more in the span of 10 months will take on these athletes? I don't care how young or how great of shape they are in - that's far more than they should endure.

The shear physicality of football alone makes this sport much harder than other sports to have multiple seasons in one year. How many times have we seen a guy tear up a knee or a shoulder, only to rehab it in the off-season and come back to full strength the next season? Well, forget about that with spring ball. Somebody sustains like an injury like that in spring, they're done. You won't get them back for fall. What about the potential for higher concussion rates without letting the head & brain have time to rest & recover? I can imagine those numbers would dramatically increase in the fall after having played a full spring season just weeks before. And then there is the issue of soft tissue damage that is endured during a season. You think the bumps/bruises/sprains/aches/pains are gonna just work themselves out in a matter of a month between seasons?

And where will our guys practice - the fieldhouse? Forget about it. You can do walk-throughs, or shoulder pads & helmets, but you're not gonna be able to do full contact. And you need full contact in order to be adequately prepared for live-action. The stadium? Have any of you ever been on the field in the dead of winter? I have. It's slicker than snot. You need to have good footing while you are working on your routes, blocking, etc. Can you imagine the amount of ankle injuries our guys will sustain before a spring season even starts?

Football is a dangerous game even during normal times. It's a risk than anyone accepts when they suit up. But in my opinion, this more than doubles those risks. If colleges allow their student-athletes to play two seasons in one year, please don't ever talk to me again about concerns for player safety.
+1

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:54 pm

If most schools do go full on in spring, it’s very likely the start of fall 2021 football would be pushed back.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:34 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:24 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:41 am
Maybe, maybe not. I doubt there will be enough time to verify its effectiveness
Rolling out a vaccine like that has me... concerned.
Big Pharma needs a boost with on-patent meds and vaccines. I worked in it for years and we’d do all we could to stop doctors from prescribing generic medicine, including paying them to “speak.” There is a reason CFC asthma albuterol meds went to HFA via politicians, and it isn’t because of the environment. It’s because we could sell on-patent HFA even though it cost more for most patients. I quit that industry because it literally kills people. Fauci is owned by it. I lived it all.
Last edited by PapaG on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:51 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:54 pm
If most schools do go full on in spring, it’s very likely the start of fall 2021 football would be pushed back.
Which many coaches, Choate included, are strongly against.

It's going to be really interesting to see how it plays out. Right now, entering fall with no football a spring season is appealing for the simple fact that we are football starved. However, we'll get through these next crappy three months like we have the last 6. We'll get through the holidays and bring in a new year. We'll be at the time that in a normal year spring football starts. Are they really going to try and pull off a season at that time when so many appear opposed to it? For what?

And this is assuming all is well in the world. I don't have that kind of faith. But I know Choate specifically is VERY against any kind of spring season if it throws a wrench in the fall. And I completely agree. Give these kids some kind of semblance of normalcy.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:56 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:56 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Means we have to win all 8 games, and be impressive wins needed. Strength of schedule huge. Too few at large bids.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:49 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:56 pm
Working backwards for an 8 game schedule, our first game would have to be Feb 27 and the 8th game would be April 17. I hate starting on the road, but maybe our first two games would be indoors or down south. The Big Sky should try to schedule NAU, ISU, SUU, Davis, Cal Poly, Sac State and Portland State as home games in the first week to take advantage of the indoor facility or warmer climates.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:10 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:49 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Working backwards for an 8 game schedule, our first game would have to be Feb 27 and the 8th game would be April 17. I hate starting on the road, but maybe our first two games would be indoors or down south. The Big Sky should try to schedule NAU, ISU, SUU, Davis, Cal Poly, Sac State and Portland State as home games in the first week to take advantage of the indoor facility or warmer climates.
I might go so far as scheduling the first 2 or 3 games away for the Montana schools and maybe EWU too. I'd be interested in the coaches thoughts.

Or maybe I'm just being a wimp not wanting to sit in the stands in February.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:39 pm

rivercat wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:10 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:49 am
Hawks86 wrote:
I might go so far as scheduling the first 2 or 3 games away for the Montana schools and maybe EWU too. I'd be interested in the coaches thoughts.

Or maybe I'm just being a wimp not wanting to sit in the stands in February.
I am actually more concerned about field conditions at Bobcat stadium. I understand that it does freeze hard in the winter. They are going to have to be creative on keeping the field playable until the thaw starts.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:13 pm

Are we seriously still talking about this? I feel like everyone is taking crazy pills here. Why did we cancel the Fall season? I get why there wouldn't be fans involved but why can't the players play? I was told it was for player safety. So first off..... does anyone really think the COVID numbers will really be THAT much different in early 2021? Second, nobody on this planet is going to convince me that making these players plan potentially 25 to 30 games in a calendar year is safe. It would be a bloodbath. IMO this is ridiculous.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:11 pm

So is this the end of the celebration bowl and the possibility of the Ivy league playing in the playoffs?

The MEAC, SWAC & IVY conference champs have Automatic Qualification to playoffs. But every year they turn down the invite.

The MEAC & SWAC decline so champions meet in celebrations bowl. The IVY league declines so athletes can focus on finals.

The MEAC said they will accept invitation this year (which is what the post this comment is on is about). Meaning you can anticipate the celebration bowl isn't going to happen this year. Meaning the SWAC. Will also probably announce soon they will accept invite this year. Since MEAC basically said no to celebration bowl this year (SWAC v MEAC).

As for IVYs. The playoffs will be held around spring break this year. Not finals week. Meaning this year they may also accept their AQ spot instead of declining.

Meaning every year there are actually 13 AQ spots. Just 3 declined every year opening 3 at-large bids. Meaning 10AQ conference champs and 14 at large bids.

The playoffs will be 16 teams this year and not 24. Everyone was expecting or doing math based off a normal season where we have 10 AQs accepted. Leaving 6 at large bids this year. However we will probably will have 13 accepted AQs this year. Meaning only 3 At-Large bids. Meaning it will be cutting teeth to determine who gets at large bids. Only 3 non conference champs will be in playoffs this year (possibly).

So this year more than most would be nice to have the regular 24 teams. So we would still have 11 At-Large with our 13 conference champion AQs

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:40 pm

I believe the SWAC and MEAC are only offered the choice for at large teams to accept bids should the committee select them. I don't think they get a choice of the Celebration Bowl or the playoffs. The winners go bowling and that's what they get.