College Football is Crawling Back. Where is The Big Sky Conf???

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

College Football is Crawling Back. Where is The Big Sky Conf???

Post by TIrwin24 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:12 am

Currently (as of Sept 18, 2020), the FBS conferences that are playing or planning to play:

SEC
ACC
Big 12
Big 10
Pac 12 (per interview on Dan Patrick this morning)
MAC
Sun Belt
Conf USA

It's time for the Big Sky Conference to lead the FCS and bring back football. #GoCats

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: College Football is Crawling Back. Where is The Big Sky Conf???

Post by CelticCat » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:26 am

TIrwin24 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:12 am
Currently (as of Sept 18, 2020), the FBS conferences that are playing or planning to play:

SEC
ACC
Big 12
Big 10
MAC
Sun Belt
Conf USA

It's time for the Big Sky Conference to lead the FCS and bring back football. #GoCats
I know it's super frustrating seeing everyone reverse their decisions, but the financial hurdles for a good chunk of the Big Sky to meet testing guidelines still remain.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:22 am

TIrwin24 wrote:

SEC
ACC
Big 12
Big 10
MAC
Sun Belt
Conf USA

Do we still want the Big Sky to bring back football this Fall if the new playoff dates the NCAA approved for April and May remain in place? Would a team that plays its conference season in the Fall even be eligible to make the playoffs?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:48 am

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:22 am
TIrwin24 wrote:

SEC
ACC
Big 12
Big 10
MAC
Sun Belt
Conf USA

Do we still want the Big Sky to bring back football this Fall if the new playoff dates the NCAA approved for April and May remain in place? Would a team that plays its conference season in the Fall even be eligible to make the playoffs?
Yes, the committee decided that any fall games played would be considered for the spring playoffs.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:03 pm

If we have to play in empty stadiums we can't afford to play. We need the revenue since we don't have big TV contracts like the Power 5 schools. and as people have said before the cost of all the testing adds up pretty quick.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:49 pm

Honest question. I know the very likely answer, but I thought if someone had any inside skinny, it would be interesting: MSU labs were installing equipment and meeting certifications to help take the load off COVID testing at the private labs the state was contracting when they couldn't keep up with demand. What would the maneuvering be to be able to actually test "in house", or could MSU somehow handle testing for the conference? Anyone know if the MSU lab's testing capacity is being reached, or would there be capacity there to handle "other" testing? I'm sure this has been at least mentioned and dismissed, but food for discussion.....

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:40 am

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:49 pm
Honest question. I know the very likely answer, but I thought if someone had any inside skinny, it would be interesting: MSU labs were installing equipment and meeting certifications to help take the load off COVID testing at the private labs the state was contracting when they couldn't keep up with demand. What would the maneuvering be to be able to actually test "in house", or could MSU somehow handle testing for the conference? Anyone know if the MSU lab's testing capacity is being reached, or would there be capacity there to handle "other" testing? I'm sure this has been at least mentioned and dismissed, but food for discussion.....
Would you run into title ix issues? So you are not just testing a football team, but all athletics?
The purpose of the increased testing was to help the community/country at large not just athletics, so could these tests for athletics be perceived negatively by the general population? Slippery slope.