Big 10 is Back-- how about the Big Sky

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Big 10 is Back-- how about the Big Sky

Post by superbobcat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 am

With the Big 10 chaos deciding to get going in October, I wonder if the Big Sky would reconsider. Schools seem to be making it work. If California and Portland State wants to run and hide, so be it. Time to mask up and play football.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big 10 is Back-- how about the Big Sky

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:48 am

superbobcat wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 am
With the Big 10 chaos deciding to get going in October, I wonder if the Big Sky would reconsider. Schools seem to be making it work. If California and Portland State wants to run and hide, so be it. Time to mask up and play football.
As Jeff said in his most recent media session, it will likely take the Mountain West and/or Pac-12 to decide to play for the Big Sky to follow suit.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:07 am

I don't see the Pac-12 coming back in 2020. Between COVID restrictions and terrible air quality it's hard to see any west coast teams practicing in September. Even if these things cleared up a little they wouldn't start practicing until some time in October and then probably couldn't begin a season until early November at best. By then you're getting close to the end of the semester. Also, you have to remember that a large factor in the Pac-12 shut down was the player (threat of) revolt. I don't think that's going away this year.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 am

The Big Sky is not going to bring back the conference season this year, period. None of the financial and logistical challenges for testing have changed.

Now, the Big Sky may reverse their decision on letting schools play some OOC games this fall, in which maybe a school like MSU would go the route of NDSU and play a game, maybe two. And maybe some schools like UNC might try and get a money game from an FBS school.

But it's already been determined the championship is in the spring, so there isn't going to be a full conference schedule in the fall, because that would basically mean opting the entirety of the Big Sky out of the spring playoffs, unless somehow the fall games would count towards playoff eligibility.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Steve Steverson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Steve Steverson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:04 pm

Play a non conf game or two already, our high schools can do it, get some tests and let’s go!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:31 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 am
The Big Sky is not going to bring back the conference season this year, period. None of the financial and logistical challenges for testing have changed.

Now, the Big Sky may reverse their decision on letting schools play some OOC games this fall, in which maybe a school like MSU would go the route of NDSU and play a game, maybe two. And maybe some schools like UNC might try and get a money game from an FBS school.

But it's already been determined the championship is in the spring, so there isn't going to be a full conference schedule in the fall, because that would basically mean opting the entirety of the Big Sky out of the spring playoffs, unless somehow the fall games would count towards playoff eligibility.
I'll say it again... this ain't happening.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:10 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:31 pm
CelticCat wrote:

I don't think it is either, but most schools who have playoff hopes aren't going to take the chance that there won't be a spring playoff, and play a full slate this fall.

Unfortunately the scenario I think is most likely to play out is that we won't see a Bobcat football game until fall 2021.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Steve Steverson wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:04 pm
Play a non conf game or two already, our high schools can do it, get some tests and let’s go!
Currently the Big Sky Conference is saying no one is allowed to play OOC games. I believe MSU absolutely would have a game or two if it was up to them.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:22 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:48 am
superbobcat wrote:
As Jeff said in his most recent media session, it will likely take the Mountain West and/or Pac-12 to decide to play for the Big Sky to follow suit.
That’s a nicer way of saying what I’ve always believed: the BSC will stall for time to see which way the crowd goes and then declare that was their plan all along.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:09 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:10 pm
catatac wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I don't think it is either, but most schools who have playoff hopes aren't going to take the chance that there won't be a spring playoff, and play a full slate this fall.

Unfortunately the scenario I think is most likely to play out is that we won't see a Bobcat football game until fall 2021.
You are the worst.

…..but your post is spot on. No bobcat football until the fall of 2021 is what I'm thinking too. Absolutely no way we are in any better shape in the spring unless the vaccine is mass produced on an unbelievable scale.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:09 am
CelticCat wrote:
catatac wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

You are the worst.

…..but your post is spot on. No bobcat football until the fall of 2021 is what I'm thinking too. Absolutely no way we are in any better shape in the spring unless the vaccine is mass produced on an unbelievable scale.
This is the part a lot of people gloss over or just don't think about. Sure, it's possible that there's a vaccine by MLK Day or Presidents Day. That doesn't mean it's going to be produced on a large enough scale that it will be made available to FCS football teams or that it will be any cheaper than the current tests that are available. Making the vaccine available to the general population that would want to go to an outdoor football game in Bozeman in the first weekend of March is even more unrealistic.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:16 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:09 am
CelticCat wrote:
catatac wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

You are the worst.

This is the part a lot of people gloss over or just don't think about. Sure, it's possible that there's a vaccine by MLK Day or Presidents Day. That doesn't mean it's going to be produced on a large enough scale that it will be made available to FCS football teams or that it will be any cheaper than the current tests that are available. Making the vaccine available to the general population that would want to go to an outdoor football game in Bozeman in the first weekend of March is even more unrealistic.
Yep- the head of the CDC said 2nd quarter of 3rd quarter of 2021 for a vaccine. MSU isn't playing football until fall 2021 at the soonest.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:31 pm

I don't necessarily think we need a vaccine before we go back to playing, just quicker, cheaper testing. But in order for fans to be back in the stands, that's another matter.

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:47 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
According to the Twitter; the MAC and Pac 12 are reconsidering and looking at an October start

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

Blixtonz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Blixtonz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:11 pm

Yep, sounds like a potential late October start for the Pac-12.

Steve Steverson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Steve Steverson » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:28 pm

Door is open a crack for a game or two this fall at MSU. Come on Choate, kick it open.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:23 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:47 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
According to the Twitter; the MAC and Pac 12 are reconsidering and looking at an October start
I give the Big 10 a ton of props for doing this the right way: daily testing of everyone on the field, plus monitoring. What do you suppose that costs? $50/day per person? So 100 on field personnel x $50/day = $5,000/day to do testing & monitoring. Times 100 days in the season = $500k in testing cost.

No money game with FBS, best case scenario 50% occupancy on game day, which barely covers costs to open up the field. (OK, for some BSC teams, they never get 50% occupancy anyway...)

MAYBE UM & MSU could swing $500k. Maybe.

Where is UNC, NAU, EWU, WSU, ISU supposed to come up with $500k to do daily testing? PAC 12 schools can do it, MWC maybe. But not the Big Sky. And all this on a day when Montana hit its all time high both in daily cases & rolling 7 day average.

Not going to happen.

Steve Steverson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Steve Steverson » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:34 am

Saying it’s not happening based on your guess of price seems like a poorly thought out post. If that’s how decisions are made then sure nothing will happen.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:20 am

Steve Steverson wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:34 am
Saying it’s not happening based on your guess of price seems like a poorly thought out post. If that’s how decisions are made then sure nothing will happen.
How do you suggest that Big Sky schools suffering a budget crunch pay for tests? Maybe its only $10/test...how is EWU going to come up with $100k for testing given their well documented budget woes, especially considering the ticket falloff?

I'm all ears for criticism of my post...but saying "Your guess on price is poorly thought out" without offering any sort of alternative explanation seems even less thought out.

Its kind of funny, because my day job actually involves doing cost estimates in the absence of good information. You are correct, lots of projects never get started because clients don't have a realistic way of paying for the things they want to do.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:04 am

Steve Steverson wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:34 am
That was a main reason cited from the Big Sky when the decisions to move to spring was made, many schools couldn't afford testing. I don't see how any of that has changed.

The only scenario is that the Big Sky lets schools play out of conference games, which they currently are not letting them do. Then schools who couldn't afford to play OOC games wouldn't have to, and schools who can and want to play a few games can do so.

I just don't know if the conference will give the go ahead or not.