Montana Recruits 2021

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Montana Recruits 2021

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:00 pm

Heads up to Bobby. Rob Ash doesn't live in Bozeman anymore. We will take your lunch money and then kick your ass.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:15 pm

According to Robby Hauck’s bio he set records for tackles at his high school. I’ve only watched three games he’s played in so I can’t rate his playing abilities. I have to believe he’s a pretty good player. The best way for a coach to destroy a clubhouse is to play his kid over players that are better than he is.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:00 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:15 pm
According to Robby Hauck’s bio he set records for tackles at his high school. I’ve only watched three games he’s played in so I can’t rate his playing abilities. I have to believe he’s a pretty good player. The best way for a coach to destroy a clubhouse is to play his kid over players that are better than he is.

He's a very good tackler, great fundamental player. Smart. Tough. Knows what has supposed to do and does it.

He's limited athletically, and kinda small. I don't think he takes bad angles, he's just not fast. Coaches love to play guys who know what's going on, so I can see why he plays. Undoubtedly a hard worker.

rollo_tumasi
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by rollo_tumasi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:26 pm

[quote="PHAT CAT" post_id=711386 time=1597971655 user_id=672]
Heads up to Bobby. Rob Ash doesn't live in Bozeman anymore. We will take your lunch money and then kick your ass.
[/quote]

Love this!!!

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.'

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:32 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:01 pm
He sure doesn't seem to have the energy on the sidelines he once had. Is that just growing old or is he disinterested. He (coincidentally?) came back to Missoula at the same time his son's college career was starting. His son didn't catch on at San Diego St. and the UM job came open, so, like any dad might do, he applied and got the UM job and like most sons would do Robby followed. That makes sense, but is that the rationale. I realize Robby is good enough to play in the FCS, but not only does he start right away the defense is designed to get him in the middle of almost every play. Is the emphasis now shifted to coaching for his son? Is that plausible?
My theory has always been that Bobby was going to take the NAU job. That whole season, Souers was saying he was going to retire. Robby was recruited by and chose to attend NAU over offers to the Griz. I think it was a quiet, hush hush agreement that Bobby was going to take over as HC at NAU and coach his son there. However, the Griz HC position unexpectedly (?) came open so the plans changed. Bobby takes the Griz HC position (a much better position to win at than NAU). All of a sudden, Souers isn't retiring anymore. He's going to coach another year. Maybe because NAU's choice became unavailable since he went to coach in Missoula? It's obviously a theory, but the pieces all fit.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:31 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:00 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:15 pm

He's a very good tackler, great fundamental player. Smart. Tough. Knows what has supposed to do and does it.

He's limited athletically, and kinda small. I don't think he takes bad angles, he's just not fast. Coaches love to play guys who know what's going on, so I can see why he plays. Undoubtedly a hard worker.
Good rundown. I hear he was a good basketball player. I noticed he couldn’t catch up to Ifanse on that 38-yard TD, which probably covered close to 50 yards. Maybe Ifanse is faster than I think, but that play had to be hard to watch.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:49 am

So,....if I read everything and understood correctly, he's not very fast and doesn't adjust his "angle" to make up for a speed deficit. AND, he's not good in coverage. Hmm,...with those parts of his game, how could he not be an all conference guy?

ruralcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ruralcat » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:23 am

083190 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:49 am
So,....if I read everything and understood correctly, he's not very fast and doesn't adjust his "angle" to make up for a speed deficit. AND, he's not good in coverage. Hmm,...with those parts of his game, how could he not be an all conference guy?
Exactly. Nobody is saying he’s a bad player, but he’s just not a good player. Our safeties last year had so much more talent it wasn’t even funny. Our Nickel guy Okada is a much better player. Little Hauck would not start on this Bobcat team.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 pm

ruralcat wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:23 am
083190 wrote:
Exactly. Nobody is saying he’s a bad player, but he’s just not a good player. Our safeties last year had so much more talent it wasn’t even funny. Our Nickel guy Okada is a much better player. Little Hauck would not start on this Bobcat team.
Really?

Geez

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:57 am

Go Scats Go wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 pm
ruralcat wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:23 am
083190 wrote:
Really?

Geez
He wouldn’t make the 2-deep. He’s flat garbage.

GO CATS GO!!!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:05 pm

iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:45 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:25 am
The “we prepared for troy” has to be the best excuse I have ever heard in the history of excuses. 🤣🤣🤣

So our best player didn’t suit up..... and that is why u got yer butts kicked?!?!?

Hahahahahaha.... you can’t make this stuff up!
Hands down my favorite. Dude barely touched the ball offensively all season. Horrendous coaching to prepare all week for a linebacker playing qb.... :lol:
Yes, and that kinda plays into a thought that I have about Hauck. How serious is he? Too come to the conclusion that he needs to prep for TA seems like something a know-nothing, rookie coach might do...maybe. Here's Troy's touches out of the backfield over the previous 11 games: 1-7-0-7-0-10-7-1-3-7. 43 carries in 11 games. Not quite 4 per game. Add to it that MSU wasn't as successful as it normally is with TA at QB the previous year (229 yards at 4.8 ypc in 2018 with TA at QB; 258 at 5.7 w/o TA at QB in 2019) and it's just mind-boggling. Was he lying when he said that he game-planned for TA? Because MSU wasn't as good offensively using the players it had in 2018 as it was in 2019, so why would Choate go back to that?

He sure doesn't seem to have the energy on the sidelines he once had. Is that just growing old or is he disinterested. He (coincidentally?) came back to Missoula at the same time his son's college career was starting. His son didn't catch on at San Diego St. and the UM job came open, so, like any dad might do, he applied and got the UM job and like most sons would do Robby followed. That makes sense, but is that the rationale. I realize Robby is good enough to play in the FCS, but not only does he start right away the defense is designed to get him in the middle of almost every play. Is the emphasis now shifted to coaching for his son? Is that plausible?

Colter says Hauck is a great tackler, but that MSU's offense was so confusing and UM's defense not suited to play against it that he had a bad day. I watched the UM-WSU playoff game and still saw Hauck getting out of position and taking bad angles. Colter used to say Khari Garcia did those things and Garcia is, IMO, a good comparison to Hauck. A good safety, but one that gets sucked out of position and takes bad angles.
It's so interesting the varying takeaways folks can have from analysis spots. I was simply trying to describe why Montana State's offense has an excellent matchup against UM's defense. I was not trying to "defend" or "justify" any of the Montana players' poor performances or the fact that the Bobcats destroyed the Grizzlies for the duration of that game.

The critique of Robby Hauck is certainly valid. He has certain strengths — he runs to the ball as well as any player in the league, he is fearless, he is a sure tackler — that are pretty objectively undeniable. But there are also several questions about his overall prowess, production and the fact that he plays for his father. I think that is all totally valid criticism and one that I side with most of you on.

I had not thought of the Khari Garcia comparison. Part of Garcia's problem was that the 2015 MSU defense almost NEVER got lined up correctly before the snap. I watched a bit of a replay of the MSU game at Portland State from that season the other night and I could not believe how fundamentally unsound that unit was. That is perhaps the biggest stride MSU has made. The Bobcats are almost never out of position or misaligned since Choate took over and as Kane Ioane continues to grow and flourish in his second season as the full-time DC.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:52 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:05 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
The “we prepared for troy” has to be the best excuse I have ever heard in the history of excuses. 🤣🤣🤣

So our best player didn’t suit up..... and that is why u got yer butts kicked?!?!?

Hands down my favorite. Dude barely touched the ball offensively all season. Horrendous coaching to prepare all week for a linebacker playing qb.... :lol:
Yes, and that kinda plays into a thought that I have about Hauck. How serious is he? Too come to the conclusion that he needs to prep for TA seems like something a know-nothing, rookie coach might do...maybe. Here's Troy's touches out of the backfield over the previous 11 games: 1-7-0-7-0-10-7-1-3-7. 43 carries in 11 games. Not quite 4 per game. Add to it that MSU wasn't as successful as it normally is with TA at QB the previous year (229 yards at 4.8 ypc in 2018 with TA at QB; 258 at 5.7 w/o TA at QB in 2019) and it's just mind-boggling. Was he lying when he said that he game-planned for TA? Because MSU wasn't as good offensively using the players it had in 2018 as it was in 2019, so why would Choate go back to that?

Colter says Hauck is a great tackler, but that MSU's offense was so confusing and UM's defense not suited to play against it that he had a bad day. I watched the UM-WSU playoff game and still saw Hauck getting out of position and taking bad angles. Colter used to say Khari Garcia did those things and Garcia is, IMO, a good comparison to Hauck. A good safety, but one that gets sucked out of position and takes bad angles.
It's so interesting the varying takeaways folks can have from analysis spots. I was simply trying to describe why Montana State's offense has an excellent matchup against UM's defense. I was not trying to "defend" or "justify" any of the Montana players' poor performances or the fact that the Bobcats destroyed the Grizzlies for the duration of that game.

The critique of Robby Hauck is certainly valid. He has certain strengths — he runs to the ball as well as any player in the league, he is fearless, he is a sure tackler — that are pretty objectively undeniable. But there are also several questions about his overall prowess, production and the fact that he plays for his father. I think that is all totally valid criticism and one that I side with most of you on.

I had not thought of the Khari Garcia comparison. Part of Garcia's problem was that the 2015 MSU defense almost NEVER got lined up correctly before the snap. I watched a bit of a replay of the MSU game at Portland State from that season the other night and I could not believe how fundamentally unsound that unit was. That is perhaps the biggest stride MSU has made. The Bobcats are almost never out of position or misaligned since Choate took over and as Kane Ioane continues to grow and flourish in his second season as the full-time DC.
I can't decide which defense was worse, the 2015 or 2014 squad. I think the 2015 gets the nod, because I don't think 2014 was bad the entire season but that's when things start spiraling. They are the #1 and #2 of the worst defenses I've seen in my 20 years as a die-hard Cat fan. I 100% believe it wasn't a talent issue, although those were the years where we finally didn't have an elite buck end, but that doesn't explain how bad they were. The 2016 defense was nowhere near as talented as they were way better as a unit.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:27 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:52 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:05 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I can't decide which defense was worse, the 2015 or 2014 squad. I think the 2015 gets the nod, because I don't think 2014 was bad the entire season but that's when things start spiraling. They are the #1 and #2 of the worst defenses I've seen in my 20 years as a die-hard Cat fan. I 100% believe it wasn't a talent issue, although those were the years where we finally didn't have an elite buck end, but that doesn't explain how bad they were. The 2016 defense was nowhere near as talented as they were way better as a unit.
2014 Defense (1st Unit/2nd Unit):

Bandit: Odin Coe (Jr.)/Devin Jeffries (Rfr.) or Zach Hutchins (So.)
NT: Taylor Sheridan (Jr.)/Nate Bignell (Jr.) or Tucker Yates (Fr.)
DT: Taylor Dees (Sr.)/ Connor Thomas (So.) or Tucker Yates (Fr.)
DE: Garrett Marino (Fr.)/ Tyrone Fa'anono (Fr.)

Sam: Cole Moore (Sr.)/Mac Bignell (Rfr.)
Mike: Na'a Moeakiola (Sr.)/Rhett Young (Sr.)
Will: Alex Singleton (Sr.)/Wyatt Christensen (So.) or Grant Collins (Fr.)

Boundary: Deonte Flowers (Sr.)/James Nelson (Sr.)
SS: Robert Marshall (Sr.)/Khari Garcia (Rfr.)
FS: Eryon Barnett (Sr.)/Cody Cleveland (Sr.)
Field: Bryson Keeton (Jr.)/Bryce Alley (Fr.)

Five true freshman (Marino, Yates, Fa'anono, Collins, & Alley) made the two-deep on that defense which kind of told us how poorly defensive recruiting was going for the prior two years. The starting unit should've been WAY better than what they produced in 2014. This defense finished 9th in scoring defense (33 points per game), 12th in total defense (487 yards per game), 8th in rushing defense (193 yards per game), 13th (last) in pass defense (294 yards per game), 9th in sacks, 9th in interceptions, and 10th in opponent 3rd-down effic. However, the most amazing stat of all was the MSU's offense was #2 in the league in time of possession yet the defense was 12th in total defensive yards given up per game (remember that a big knock by fans of the MSU offense was that they scored too fast). What does that mean? It means the defense gave up a ton of big plays and it was extremely easy to move the ball against them.

Now here is the thing that really doesn't sit well with me...there was talent on this 2014 defense. Coe, Sheridan, Dees, and Jeffries were not the defensive lines of old but these were tough, physical kids who at least should've been better against the run. The defensive line was young at the strong-side spot but Marino & Fa'anono held their own just fine and the overall unit should've been better. The secondary had an All-Big Sky corner (Flowers) and future NFL player (Keeton made the Jets roster for two years) while Marshall and Barnett were physically gifted safeties. And the linebacking unit was arguably one of the best in the league and one of the best MSU had throughout the decade. Na'a wasn't what he was prior to his junior year injury two years prior (he redshirted in 2013 to recover) but that starting LB unit was one of the better ones of the decade! Singleton and Moore were All-Conference worthy linebackers and leaders of the defense. Lack of depth, lack of rotating, scheme adjustment, and overall coaching (player development) caused the 2014 defense was unwatchable at times. As we've discussed before, Marshall clearly should've been fired or demoted to coaching safeties.

2015 Defense:

DE - Tyrone Fa'anono/Shiloh Laboy
DT - Taylor Sheridan/Nate Bignell or Joe Naotala
DT - Connor Thomas/Tucker Yates
DE - Devin Jeffries (injured)/Zach Hutchins or Jessie Clark
SLB - Mac Bignell
MLB - Grant Collins
WLB - Fletcher Collins/Blake Braun
CB - Bryson Keeton/Trace Timmer
FS - Desman Carter/DeMonte King
SS - Bryson McCabe/Khari Garcia
CB - Bryce Alley/Trevon Strong

I mean almost a complete roster overhaul with either transfers or youth from 2014 to 2015. The scoring defense stayed the same, the rushing defense got significantly worse, total defense stayed about the same, pass defense improved a little mostly because teams could run at will against the Cats, dead last in interceptions, and improved the sack numbers to 8th in the league. Basically, despite the co-defensive coordinator tag, the defense was still Marshall's scheme and nothing improved other than younger guys getting experience in some fashion.

Choate/Gregorak come in 2016 and actually roll with most of the 2015 dudes along with throwing in a few true freshman on the defensive line and secondary. I still really don't know how (Mac Bignell and Choate's culture change were the biggest factors) but MSU's defense finished 2016 with the #2 scoring defense, #3 total defense, #3 rushing defense, #8 passing defense, #2 in pass defense efficiency (a major change from years prior), #4 in interceptions, and last in sacks (did I mention converted freshman tight ends were playing on the defensive line by year end?). Anyway, this three year analysis means player development (coaching) is pivotal, scheme adjustments to player strengths matter, and team culture can produce seemingly impossible results.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Part of the statistical difference with the defences between 15 and 16 was the offensive style.

We played sloooooow the first couple years with Choate. The defense was better, more fundamentally sound, but a big part of the statistical improvement was due to the offensive changes. TOP is valued a lot more with Choate than it was with Cramsay.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:20 pm

If you're looking at that 2014 roster, I think Taylor Sheridan probably starts from the DL, Cole Moore and Singleton start at LB, and Deonte Flowers at CB all start on the 2019 squad. Dees, Na'a, Keeton and Marshall all get a bunch of playing time, although I'm not sure Marshall was better than JoJo Henderson. Regardless, plenty of good talent that would still be major contributors.

Talent was not the problem.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:23 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:17 pm
Part of the statistical difference with the defences between 15 and 16 was the offensive style.

We played sloooooow the first couple years with Choate. The defense was better, more fundamentally sound, but a big part of the statistical improvement was due to the offensive changes. TOP is valued a lot more with Choate than it was with Cramsay.
True but if you look at non-TOP stats like Pass Def. Efficiency and Yards Per Play, we were miles better in 2016 than 2014/2015 with less talent.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:54 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:20 pm
If you're looking at that 2014 roster, I think Taylor Sheridan probably starts from the DL, Cole Moore and Singleton start at LB, and Deonte Flowers at CB all start on the 2019 squad. Dees, Na'a, Keeton and Marshall all get a bunch of playing time, although I'm not sure Marshall was better than JoJo Henderson. Regardless, plenty of good talent that would still be major contributors.

Who does Moore replace in the 19 lineup?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:03 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:54 pm
CelticCat wrote:

Cole played Sam throughout his career so obviously he would be replacing Troy or Hardy right? Cole was a very good coverage LB and was sound against the run. Singleton would be replacing Josh Hill at Will and then Josh would move into the Mike over Callahan O'Reilly. I guess you do what you can to get Moore, Singleton, Hill, and Troy on the field somewhere. Callahan, Jobman, Hardy, and Askelson would be the rotational depth.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:33 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:03 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:54 pm
CelticCat wrote:

Cole played Sam throughout his career so obviously he would be replacing Troy or Hardy right? Cole was a very good coverage LB and was sound against the run. Singleton would be replacing Josh Hill at Will and then Josh would move into the Mike over Callahan O'Reilly. I guess you do what you can to get Moore, Singleton, Hill, and Troy on the field somewhere. Callahan, Jobman, Hardy, and Askelson would be the rotational depth.
Yeah I was just curious what Celtic thought the LBs would look like with a healthy TA since Moore obviously wouldn't start over him. I personally wouldn't have Moore starting over O'Reilly though. Would he still play a ton? Absolutely, but he lacked in the speed department and O'Reilly just has a nose for the ball.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Well, a 2014 Cole Moore as a senior I think would be a better option than O'Reilly, although O'Reilly probably has a higher ceiling and I'm super excited to see what he can do next year.

The way we rotate who knows, and it's also hard to say because Hill was injured for a good chunk of the year and Troy didn't finish the year.