Kenneth Eiden just committed!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Kenneth Eiden just committed!

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:19 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:15 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:10 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:42 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:39 am
Eiden is the best player in the state.

Rollins is the best prospect, Eiden is the best player.
Correct.
Nothing from Rollins yet?
Someone better get on the phone with his dad!
Per Dylan, he isn't going to commit until after his senior season. But they've been recruiting Dylan pretty hard and Kenneth signing doesn't hurt at all.
With no college season, I imagine there will be quite a few MSU and UM coaches at all of Sentinel's games this fall.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:27 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:19 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Correct.
Per Dylan, he isn't going to commit until after his senior season. But they've been recruiting Dylan pretty hard and Kenneth signing doesn't hurt at all.
With no college season, I imagine there will be quite a few MSU and UM coaches at all of Sentinel's games this fall.
...if fans are still allowed at games by seasons end (see Yellowstone County update today).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:10 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:27 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:19 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Correct.
...if fans are still allowed at games by seasons end (see Yellowstone County update today).
Weird

Caturday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caturday » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:12 pm

Is he as quick and explosive as Brad Daly was coming out of high school?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Caturday wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:12 pm
My opinion is he is bigger, faster, stronger than Daly coming out of high school. Going into his senior season, Kenneth is already as big as Brad Daly was during his senior year at MSU.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:19 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:17 pm
Caturday wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:12 pm
My opinion is he is bigger, faster, stronger than Daly coming out of high school. Going into his senior season, Kenneth is already as big as Brad Daly was during his senior year at MSU.
Brad got drastically bigger after spending a year in the oil fields. He was pretty small (comparatively) coming into MSU.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:35 pm

Daly had crazy twitch, different player coming out.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:22 pm

Broke down some of the in-state recruiting battle this year and historically after analyzing Kenneth Eiden's commitment to MSU: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0488430882

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:52 am

Talked to a few former high school and college coaches around Helena and they all think Eiden is the best recruit from the state of Montana since Matt Miller. Asked if better than Troy Andersen and the general response was,’well, I knew he was good, but no one knew he’d be as good as he is.’

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:54 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:52 am
Talked to a few former high school and college coaches around Helena and they all think Eiden is the best recruit from the state of Montana since Matt Miller. Asked if better than Troy Andersen and the general response was,’well, I knew he was good, but no one knew he’d be as good as he is.’
I was thinking the exact same thing. I've been laughing at 247 saying he's the No. 3 recruit in Montana. He's top three this past decade. And maybe that's how it'll end up, who knows? I'll have to see it to believe it though. I think they're looking at his height/length. When you can ball like Eiden does, height is not a factor.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:53 am

What Colter stated in the podcast linked is something I've noticed as well. Kenneth literally did everything a top recruit from in-state could do to get recruited by the bigger schools. Since his 8th grade year:

- he used social media to his advantage in the most positive way possible (an extremely smart move) to the extent he documented everything he accomplished on and off the field on Twitter (highlights, grades, accolades, etc.)

- he used the regional recruiting sites by building profiles on each

- he attended camps all over the country where he knew Power 5 coaches would be in attendance

- and #1...he put up ridiculous production on tape (and he edited his highlights to clearly show off that production)

Everything he did from his 8th grade year on was leading to what he was going to do this summer (attending camps and get those big offers). I feel for the kid because that was taken away from him. Kenneth knew the FBS narratives about his height (he still isn't that short) would be a factor so he had to prove himself at camps against the best dudes. Anyway, I was extremely impressed with an interview he did recently where he basically said "yeah it sucks but life isn't always fair and you have to be grateful for what you have".

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:08 am

Kid is a beast on film and seems like a rock solid kid with a good head on his shoulders.

Can't wait to see him in the Blue and Gold!

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:45 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:54 am
TomCat88 wrote:
I was thinking the exact same thing. I've been laughing at 247 saying he's the No. 3 recruit in Montana. He's top three this past decade. And maybe that's how it'll end up, who knows? I'll have to see it to believe it though. I think they're looking at his height/length. When you can ball like Eiden does, height is not a factor.
Respectfully, height is a factor, especially as it typically pertains to length. These coaches aren't really watching Eiden demolish Montana OT's. They're wondering how he's going to do against a 6'5 OT that can actually move a little. When they engage, he doesn't have the arm length to counter that, so he'll need to be either very explosive and/or have great counters. It's obviously possible, and so far he has shown he is explosive as well as very technical, but his height and length is absolutely a limitation. It's undoubtedly a factor when projecting him to the college game, especially at the FBS level.

A lot of recruiting is projecting. It's hard for an FBS school to take an undersized edge from a small state where football isn't played at an incredibly high level. Worked out in our favor, which is great! Similar to Jaharie Martin in that regard.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:46 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:53 am
What Colter stated in the podcast linked is something I've noticed as well. Kenneth literally did everything a top recruit from in-state could do to get recruited by the bigger schools. Since his 8th grade year:

- he used social media to his advantage in the most positive way possible (an extremely smart move) to the extent he documented everything he accomplished on and off the field on Twitter (highlights, grades, accolades, etc.)

- he attended camps all over the country where he knew Power 5 coaches would be in attendance

- and #1...he put up ridiculous production on tape (and he edited his highlights to clearly show off that production)

Everything he did from his 8th grade year on was leading to what he was going to do this summer (attending camps and get those big offers). I feel for the kid because that was taken away from him. Kenneth knew the FBS narratives about his height (he still isn't that short) would be a factor so he had to prove himself at camps against the best dudes. Anyway, I was extremely impressed with an interview he did recently where he basically said "yeah it sucks but life isn't always fair and you have to be grateful for what you have".
I have a sincere question, and am wondering if you know more of the coaches thinking in regards to this.

Eiden has attended more camps, and done more training than any Montana athlete I can think of recently.

Is there a thought that perhaps he's closer to being at his peak than others?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:48 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:45 am
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Respectfully, height is a factor, especially as it typically pertains to length. These coaches aren't really watching Eiden demolish Montana OT's. They're wondering how he's going to do against a 6'5 OT that can actually move a little. When they engage, he doesn't have the arm length to counter that, so he'll need to be either very explosive and/or have great counters. It's obviously possible, and so far he has shown he is explosive as well as very technical, but his height and length is absolutely a limitation. It's undoubtedly a factor when projecting him to the college game, especially at the FBS level.

A lot of recruiting is projecting. It's hard for an FBS school to take an undersized edge from a small state where football isn't played at an incredibly high level. Worked out in our favor, which is great! Similar to Jaharie Martin in that regard.
It was the #1 reason why Kenneth knew he had to attend FBS camps. He had to beat or compete against the best to have a shot at a Power 5 scholarship. It was the only way they would pull the trigger on a scholarship offer.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:51 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:46 am
VimSince03 wrote:

I have a sincere question, and am wondering if you know more of the coaches thinking in regards to this.

Eiden has attended more camps, and done more training than any Montana athlete I can think of recently.

Nah not really. He's improved every year during high school and he keeps finding new ways to make himself bigger, faster, stronger. Dane Fletcher and the team over at The Pitt have really helped in finding those other areas of improvement. Kenneth is a pretty cerebral kid who understands how teams are going to attack him. The best ones always find a way and I'm pretty confident Kenneth will too.

And he still has room to get bigger. I've actually kind of thought he may turn into an explosive 3-tech by the time its all said and done.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:05 am

bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Height/length matter more and more as you move up the ladder. What I'm getting at is I think that skills trump that. Obviously by the time you hit the Alabamas, Clemson, LSUs, OSUs of the world it matters more. I think Eiden would do well against most teams/players in the Power 5 or strongteams from MWC, ConfUSA, etc. because of his skill set. Brad Daly 6-0 3/8ths, 239. Not saying Daly could've excelled at the top echelon of the Power 5, but he was good enough skill-wise to start for most teams in Power 5 conferences. As you said, worked out in our favor.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:41 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:05 am
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Height/length matter more and more as you move up the ladder. What I'm getting at is I think that skills trump that. Obviously by the time you hit the Alabamas, Clemson, LSUs, OSUs of the world it matters more. I think Eiden would do well against most teams/players in the Power 5 or strongteams from MWC, ConfUSA, etc. because of his skill set. Brad Daly 6-0 3/8ths, 239. Not saying Daly could've excelled at the top echelon of the Power 5, but he was good enough skill-wise to start for most teams in Power 5 conferences. As you said, worked out in our favor.
Early on in his tenure at MSU, Coach Choate was obsessed with length. It seems to me like he's walked that back a little bit. I have no doubt he's still looking for length, but I'm wondering if he was looking through the lens of Power 5 coaching and prioritizing length more than he does now at the FCS level.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:54 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:51 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:46 am
VimSince03 wrote:

Nah not really. He's improved every year during high school and he keeps finding new ways to make himself bigger, faster, stronger. Dane Fletcher and the team over at The Pitt have really helped in finding those other areas of improvement. Kenneth is a pretty cerebral kid who understands how teams are going to attack him. The best ones always find a way and I'm pretty confident Kenneth will too.

And he still has room to get bigger. I've actually kind of thought he may turn into an explosive 3-tech by the time its all said and done.
Pass rushing 3T would be real nice.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:38 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:41 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:05 am
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Early on in his tenure at MSU, Coach Choate was obsessed with length. It seems to me like he's walked that back a little bit. I have no doubt he's still looking for length, but I'm wondering if he was looking through the lens of Power 5 coaching and prioritizing length more than he does now at the FCS level.
I'm not sure that was Choate as much as it was Gregorak, about the length thing. But Choate has a learned a lot at this level, and I agree with your assessment. One of my critiques of him early one was trying to recruit to MSU like an FBS program, in terms of what he thinks guys should look like. He has really grown in this department, and understands now that maybe you can't fall in love with any one prototypical mold. There will always be guys like Josh Hill.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast