Off season random *^%$

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:30 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:06 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:25 pm
This looks interesting. Are we in the market for a 4* dropdown linebacker?

The answer appears to be a resounding YES!
This is a huge get. If we get QB production we’re gonna be very tough to beat!

Hate how I feel like I’ve said that for 5 years now...
Well, the Cat's were tough to beat in 2019, so you were correct then. If there is a 2020 season, I think you will be correct again.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:43 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:30 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Well, the Cat's were tough to beat in 2019, so you were correct then. If there is a 2020 season, I think you will be correct again.
I agree. Was more talking about the qb production part. We get a stud there and we are very, very good

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:43 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:30 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I agree. Was more talking about the qb production part. We get a stud there and we are very, very good
We will be better than last year at the QB position. Stud? We shall see.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:40 am

Here’s a Montana-themed Hawaiian shirt that happens to have the same colors as MSU.

https://hyperfavor.com/shop/montana-pr ... irt/?ref=5

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:30 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catapult
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catapult » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:59 am

Question: If a patient dies, had influenza and Covid, what would be written as cause of death? I’ll give you three guesses and the first two doesn’t count. History will look back at this as the biggest manipulation of fear in our history. The powers to be have the majority of “sheep” thinking Covid is equal to airborne cyanide for damn sake. Time is long overdue to put your big boy pants on and get busy living and deal with the risk.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:03 pm

catapult wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:59 am
Question: If a patient dies, had influenza and Covid, what would be written as cause of death? I’ll give you three guesses and the first two doesn’t count. History will look back at this as the biggest manipulation of fear in our history. The powers to be have the majority of “sheep” thinking Covid is equal to airborne cyanide for damn sake. Time is long overdue to put your big boy pants on and get busy living and deal with the risk.
You're damn right. I hate to brake the news, but when your 80 - 90 years old. Times pretty much up. It's sucks, but it's true. ](*,)

rollo_tumasi
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by rollo_tumasi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:38 pm

Why did you have to bring COVID into the random thread...wasn't there enough other threads on it for your liking???

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.'

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:31 pm

rollo_tumasi wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:38 pm
Why did you have to bring COVID into the random thread...wasn't there enough other threads on it for your liking???
I agree but the word random is in thread title and Covid is certainly random.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:33 pm

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:46 pm

catapult wrote:
Poor example, you should have went with "In a traffic accident and tested positive for Covid" to really get your narrative across.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:12 pm

RationalGriz wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:46 pm
catapult wrote:
Poor example, you should have went with "In a traffic accident and tested positive for Covid" to really get your narrative across.
You mean like this:

http://cbs12.com/news/local/man-who-die ... ida-report

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:44 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:44 pm
Any chance you'd copy/paste the article into a comment for those of us that are subscribers?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:09 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:50 pm
Any chance you'd copy/paste the article into a comment for those of us that are subscribers?
I wish I could. My 30 day free trial ran out at 6 p.m.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:07 pm

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:49 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:07 pm
Thanks for posting. I’m going to steal it and start a fall camp thread.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

ghobs95
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ghobs95 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:42 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:50 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:44 pm
Feldman: An FCS coach laments and vents about a season and sport in flux

Jeff Choate was part of a bunch of Top 10 teams in the FBS when he was a key assistant on the Boise State staff. He’s also worked in the Pac-12 and SEC at powerhouse programs. Four years ago, he left major college football to take over at Montana State and has lifted it from a four-win team in his debut season to one that went 11-4 and a No. 4 ranking by Year 4.

Choate, 50, has seen every aspect of college football in his coaching career. Perhaps that’s why he went from anger to frustration to sadness with the folks who run the FCS and college football at large when he got word that his conference, the Big Sky, was punting on football this fall.

“It’s heartbreaking for our sport,” Choate told The Athletic. “Football only matters if you have money. The Power 5 commissioners and presidents backed the NCAA into a corner. The real tragedy here is we could not operate together in the best interest of our kids. It’s not whether we’re playing or not. The spirit of amateurism, which has been a fallacy for a long time, is totally gone now because we’re saying if you can afford to test your players at this level or provide for them at this level, then you can participate at this great game we call football. But if you can’t, then you’re less than. We’ve created a different caste system here.”

Choate also has watched in the past week as many student-athletes in the Pac-12, including several at Washington, where he coached at before coming to Montana State, proposed a player boycott if their demands are not met. Several of those pertained to greater safety measures related to the COVID-19 pandemic. “All of the kids in the Pac-12 talking about opting out, this is a consequence of these kids being disenfranchised,” Choate said. “They keep getting jerked around.

“I feel like we’ve been supported by MSU — our president has been awesome — but at the 30,000-foot level with the NCAA, it’s unbelievably unfair how these kids have been treated. The decision whether to play or not to play should’ve been made a long time ago. Our kids aren’t summer-stipend kids. They don’t have cooked-to-order breakfasts that overlook Lake Washington, like we did at the University of Washington. Our kids don’t have that stuff. They work summer jobs. They sacrifice to be here and train with their teammates. The NCAA’s inaction cost them all of that — sitting here on pins and needles — sometimes not being able to work because maybe they were contact-tracing because of somebody else and so they had to sit in their apartment for 14 days. And it’s all because the NCAA refused to act and they were being bullied by the Power 5. That’s what this amounts to.”

The NCAA’s Board of Governors kicked the can again Wednesday on the issue of sponsoring championships for the fall sports, including the FCS playoffs. Instead, the board handed the decision off to each of the the NCAA’s three divisions, setting Aug. 21 as the deadline. That essentially backed the lower levels into a corner. The presidents’ councils of Division II and III scrambled, quickly announcing the cancellation of NCAA championships in their fall sports, citing logistical and financial challenges.

That meant the fate of the FCS playoffs rested with the 40-person Division I Council. The board did not rule out an FCS playoff on Wednesday, but it passed requirements that hamstrung FCS’s ability to put on a 24-team team tournament, mandating that “testing and results should be obtained within 72 hours of competition in high contact risk sports,” which is not financially viable for many programs at that level. The council also ruled that if 50 percent of eligible teams in a particular sport cancel their fall seasons, there can be no fall NCAA championship in that sport.

The Big Sky, a strong football league made of 13 schools in eight states, is pushing its season to spring 2021. Many of the programs in the conference faced their own unique local challenges from the pandemic, which made it obvious that more than half of the programs had little chance to play this fall under the guidelines created by the NCAA.

“Instead of us acting all together and providing leadership in times of crisis, which is what leaders are supposed to do, and the NCAA is the leader of intercollegiate athletics, it’s just unfathomable that they said, we’re not going to do anything,” he said “We’re just gonna kick this down. How about them saying, ‘Look, we’re in a crisis. Now is not the time to worry about playing football.’

“What is the result of this? Did you see the other statement by the Mountain West kids? This is the price of inaction. This is the price of a lack of the leadership. I’m proud of the kids for stepping forward and at least acting like the adults, but it’s embarrassing that we couldn’t get any leadership for months from the NCAA. The money machine is driving this, man. You can’t say that we’re in a global pandemic and the money machine isn’t the thing that’s driving us. Everybody wants to take the moral high ground. The moral high ground was to have said this back in June — ‘Hey, now is not the time to do this. Let’s shut this down.’ Instead of forcing us all to act like we’re gonna play and dragging our kids through all of this BS and uncertainty. It’s a really bad look.”

Choate said he thinks the leaders in college athletics needed to be more proactive when a big surge of COVID-19 cases swept across the country in the first part of July. The notion of trying to keep college football programs in some sort of holding pattern is problematic, he says.

“What are we gonna do, practice football 365 days a year?” Choate said. “That’s not a model that is sustainable in our sport. It’s not basketball where we can go into a gym and shoot. Our kids are asking us about playing in the spring — ‘Are we gonna practice all year?’ There’s a reason why, over a long period of time, that we’ve adopted a rhythm to our year in the sport of football. Because it’s demanding physically. You’ve got to have these ebbs and flows in terms of your training modules or guys are gonna break down. Just because we as coaches are gung ho and we want to keep going, that’s probably not in the best interest of the student-athletes.

“It’s hard to lead your troops into battle when you don’t have the battle plans. You’re doing parent meetings and you’re talking to boosters and keep everybody engaged but we really don’t know how these decisions are being made because most of the time we don’t have a seat at the table. It’s been unfair the way we’ve dragged these kids through this over a four-month period of time when I think if we were really honest with each other, around the early part of July when this thing really started to skyrocket, maybe we need to back off and say, ‘Let’s not do mandatory workouts right now.’ ”

The more Choate has thought and vented about how college football has become even more fragmented in the uncertainty of a pandemic, he’s also realized how complicated this all has been, especially from an emotional standpoint.

In the middle of the summer coaches, Choate included, were pushing because they hadn’t been around their players since March. There was so much emphasis to get things back going because that is the players’ routine. “You’re thinking, ‘That’s what they need,’ but then we start ’em, stop ’em, start ’em, stop ’em,” he said. “They’ve reached the point where they’re saying, ‘Do we really want to do this?’ and that’s what you’re hearing from the Pac-12 and Mountain West. There’s just so much limbo.”

Choate understands why the Power 5 brass did what they did, he says. It is their survival too. He heard Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez warning that the Badgers athletic department projected revenue losses between $60 million and $70 million if they play a conference-only, 10-game season and that figure could swell to over $100 million in losses if the football season is canceled because of the pandemic.

“I’m not angry at them for doing it,” he said. “That’s people’s jobs. That’s people’s livelihoods. I get that. I’m just sad that it happened. It’s just sad that it came to it that the almighty dollar started to control that. Money changed that years ago, and I know I’ve benefitted from that myself. You get why players are going, ‘Why don’t I get mine?’ How can you not? This is culmination of this long, downward spiral of the ideals of what college football is about. I’m not gonna be a hypocrite and say that I haven’t benefitted from that. I have. But we just let things get out of control.”

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:11 am

Other than having the NCAA take responsibility up front an make decisions for everyone I'm not sure what else Choate wants them to do. He complains about the different levels of money involved in FBS vs FCS and also brings up the PAC-12 player revolt that's growing. Does he want revenue sharing between levels and then for schools to put more money into health care and pay the athletes? Besides the parts about the NCAA not being proactive earlier this summer it seems like his rant kind of got away from him. He's not necessarily wrong in anything he's saying I'm just not sure where he's going with most of it.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:28 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:11 am
Other than having the NCAA take responsibility up front an make decisions for everyone I'm not sure what else Choate wants them to do. He complains about the different levels of money involved in FBS vs FCS and also brings up the PAC-12 player revolt that's growing. Does he want revenue sharing between levels and then for schools to put more money into health care and pay the athletes? Besides the parts about the NCAA not being proactive earlier this summer it seems like his rant kind of got away from him. He's not necessarily wrong in anything he's saying I'm just not sure where he's going with most of it.
I think you nailed it in your first sentence. I think that's really what Choate was saying. The kids got strung along, even though once the protocols were listed anyone paying attention knew they would be impossible to achieve. Like many people, he's probably tired of the NCAA pretending to not just be about the money, and instead have the best interest of the kids.

It's crazy that these players are now forming groups to do what they think is best, and taking a more leadership role than the adults in the NCAA.

And like me, he's probably pissed that we're still pretending we're going to play football this spring like the virus will be gone and people won't still be shouting about how dangerous it is. So the kids are going to get screwed again.

I feel for these guys.