Covid hits MSU athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:03 am

Another wrench:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:20 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:15 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:50 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:56 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:29 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:04 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:22 pm
Please cut to the chase. What is the mortality rate if you catch the virus??? Without getting into a link fest, is it it something less than ½ of 1 %? Or from the other angle, the survivability rate is something better than 99.5% if you get it??? If I’m in the ballpark, is sacrificing a year or more of the children’s education, economic growth & prosperity (jobs), social disruption (simply put, a lot of depressed, paranoid, and pissed off people), and lastly, as this is a sports board, the curtailment or cancellation of sports that is essential for the participants and fans to have a release from all the aforementioned stresses worth it? Sorry, not accepting presumably saving 1/2 of 1 % as a rational answer considering what people die from ALL the time.
This argument isn’t getting you anywhere.... :wink:
Thanks for the vote of confidence....but "we will get through this together" :wink:
It hasn’t worked for me and I’ve been banging the drum since March. Ha.
It depends on all sorts of factors. For the population, as a whole, it’s likely going to settle in at about 1%. Which is about the Same death risk of BASE jumping or getting hooked on meth. If you think, “Hey, only 1% of meth addicts die of an OD, it must be pretty safe”...well, then... :cry:
Per usual you are suggesting things that I for one, have never said. This isn’t about whether or not the virus is “safe” or not. It’s about whether or not it’s so dangerous to warrant all the attention and restrictions it’s garnered.

Using your example, should we close businesses again and keep kids out of school until we cure meth addiction? Not even all other drug addictions that kill thousands every year; just meth. Would that be reasonable and you would support it?

Should we ignore the fact that homelessness, domestic violence, suicides and hunger have all risen? Because that’s sure what it feels like. My hope is that when we’re on the better side of this deadly virus, as a society we start giving other major issues, that result in many deaths, even an ounce of the attention and care it got all these months. Because issues I mentioned, in addition to things like sexual assault, human trafficking, along with the plethora of diseases that kill millions every year, could really use the attention.

Time will tell! [-o<
We should take common sense measures to check the spread of the pandemic. Kids are back in school in Europe & sports are starting up everywhere except the US (we will see how the NBA season goes).

I want my kids back in school this fall & I want businesses to be open. Unfortunately through a series of embarrassingly bad policy decisions & the spread of misinformation from Facebook propagandists, we are stuck in a situation where, as a country, we are worse off than we were April 1.

We squandered trillions of dollars, not to mention the laundry list of issues you pointed out, and we STILL are on the brink of cancelling fall sports, more business closures, and another semester of distance learning.

Meanwhile, Europe, Canada, New Zealand, & SE Asia pretty much have this thing beat.

I just want the nice things that the rest of the world gets, not to be living in a 3rd world failed state.
Totally agree with all that. And I think we will!

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:23 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:19 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 pm
But we're not doing fewer tests. MSU is filling in some of the void that started this conversation. Over 5k on a day this week, most days between 1500-2500, right where we've been. Also, not absolutely true you'll find less cases with less tests. Depends who you're testing (symptomatics, close contacts, etc), hence the reason the positive rate has to matter to this conversation.
Yes we are doing fewer tests.
Here's some of last week's news.
As a result, the state may cancel some of its surveillance testing, Bullock said.
https://www.ktvq.com/news/coronavirus/u ... as-working

Great Falls Benefis is done with asymptomatic testing:
https://www.kulr8.com/coronavirus/benef ... c7956.html

Also reducing testing in Helena.
https://www.ktvh.com/news/pureview-canc ... ough-tests

I'm sure there are more if you look.
6340 tests today, 41 positive. More tests, less cases. That equals a lower positive rate for today. That's a good thing. Still not testing less. You're still wrong.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:50 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:44 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:19 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:40 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:52 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:52 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:39 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:45 am
So now that the masks are "mandatory", we see health places across the state cancel testing they had planned for asymptomatic individuals.

Now we'll definitely see the amount of positive cases decrease lol. It's totally just a coincidence though.
That’s exactly what’s happening. MT doesn’t have the capacity to test asymptotic individuals as that was taking 7-10 days for results, if not longer. Now they are only testing symptomatic individuals moving forward. Our testing in the last few days, because of this, has been cut in half. Funny that the positive cases have also been cut in half. But let the masses tell ya “masks are working” :roll:
88 cases in 5000 and change tests today. That's not a drop in testing, at least not yet. I believe testing of asymptomatic people will continue, but only as a part of contact tracing and not general surveillance. The mask mandate is likely to help some in crowded places. Plus, why not do it? The worst that could happen is it isn't effective, not like it'll sicken us, harm us our really adversely affect us at all. If it can help, why wouldn't we want them mandated for a time? Might avoid another shutdown. I maintain that were this state to try to pass a mandatory seat belt law today it couldn't happen. Basic public safety and health is taking a backseat to "individual liberty" when in reality no one's rights or liberties are affected in the least by a mask mandate. Might save some of your fellow members of society, though.
Lol.

The tests that are reported today were taken 7-10 days ago most likely. They don't reflect the amount of tests taken today.
1800 tests yesterday, 224 positives. How's your theory aging so far? Still waiting on that fake decline in cases due to the propping up of that tyrannical face mask mandate...
Oh fer cute, Goldstone was able to cherry pick one singular day of stats to help it fit his narrative...isn’t that special 😂
Positive test rate staying remarkably consistent, actually. Yesterday was anomalous in that it was much higher, but today back around that 5-7% area we've been hovering for a month. I don't have a narrative. 99s narrative was that "they" would test less to achieve less overall positives, thereby justifying the mask mandate. It's a flawed theory, and I'm pushing back on it. Go pick a day in the past week. One low positive rate day, one high, most right in the same area. My point is there's no conspiracy in the data, as bad as some want there to be.
I was just giving you some grief. Sorry may have come off wrong. I don’t think any of us can use 1 day of tests or results to try to figure out any of this is all. Heck, it seems like months of data cannot even be used as the data is so all over the place (as to what counts as a case, as to who is using it that way, as to what counts as a covid death, etc). From my tracking we have been closer to 4% positive test rates more days than not.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:03 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:23 am
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:19 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 pm
But we're not doing fewer tests. MSU is filling in some of the void that started this conversation. Over 5k on a day this week, most days between 1500-2500, right where we've been. Also, not absolutely true you'll find less cases with less tests. Depends who you're testing (symptomatics, close contacts, etc), hence the reason the positive rate has to matter to this conversation.
Yes we are doing fewer tests.
Here's some of last week's news.
As a result, the state may cancel some of its surveillance testing, Bullock said.
https://www.ktvq.com/news/coronavirus/u ... as-working

Great Falls Benefis is done with asymptomatic testing:
https://www.kulr8.com/coronavirus/benef ... c7956.html

Also reducing testing in Helena.
https://www.ktvh.com/news/pureview-canc ... ough-tests

I'm sure there are more if you look.
6340 tests today, 41 positive. More tests, less cases. That equals a lower positive rate for today. That's a good thing. Still not testing less. You're still wrong.
Its 1 day. and I'm basing my opinion on what the news stories tell me, not some anonymous guy on BN who never cites any sources. If the tests keep increasing, then the news was wrong.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:58 pm

RUMORS in Missoula about incoming freshman football players not being included in football activities, possibly for the season. Anyone else hear anything similar in Bozeman?

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:00 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:58 pm
RUMORS in Missoula about incoming freshman football players not being included in football activities, possibly for the season. Anyone else hear anything similar in Bozeman?
Hauck doesn't need freshman on his team, they aren't going to see the field anyway with all the transfers and talent they have......

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:33 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:58 pm
Hmm, I wonder if they're potentially laying the groundwork for freshmen to not start their eligibility clocks this year. This would make sense if there's a total cancellation of the 2020 season, and this year's Senior class is granted an additional year of eligibility for 2021.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:22 am

The small local college in my town started testing athletes for the fall season. So far they have over 30 positive cases, and not all athletes are in town yet. :(

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:34 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:22 am
The small local college in my town started testing athletes for the fall season. So far they have over 30 positive cases, and not all athletes are in town yet. :(
Doesn't surprise me. I'm sticking with my theory that half the country currently has, or has had this thing.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:49 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:34 am
The Butcher wrote:
Doesn't surprise me. I'm sticking with my theory that half the country currently has, or has had this thing.
In that case we will reach herd immunity in about another two weeks and the death numbers will drop to a trickle. I suppose we'll know if your right very soon.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:51 am

seataccat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:49 am
catatac wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
In that case we will reach herd immunity in about another two weeks and the death numbers will drop to a trickle. I suppose we'll know if your right very soon.
I think by the end of September things are going to be pretty bad with schools/colleges being open for about a month.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:50 pm

seataccat wrote:
catatac wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
What??? Then that would mean that Trump was right about “this eventually going away”? Hmmm... maybe his handling wasn’t so bad after all.

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:50 pm
seataccat wrote:
catatac wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
What??? Then that would mean that Trump was right about “this eventually going away”? Hmmm... maybe his handling wasn’t so bad after all.
Yep, in two weeks if it all goes away we'll know Trump was right. In the mean time everyone is playing along with the hoax like Herman Cain.

Voltaire

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:08 pm

seataccat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:27 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:50 pm
seataccat wrote:
catatac wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Yep, in two weeks if it all goes away we'll know Trump was right. In the mean time everyone is playing along with the hoax like Herman Cain.
Pretty f-ing classy Seattacat.

By the way, I never said it was a hoax. I have maintained in multiple posts that it is very dangerous to older people. I have also thought that more people have been infected than we realize and hope we are moving to herd immunity. You seemed to share that hope as well, but just my mention of Trump causes you to lash out. You have a bad case of TDS.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 pm

seataccat wrote:
catatac wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Would love to hear the math and stats to back that up. What percentage is needed for herd immunity?

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 am

The Mayo Clinic estimates 94% of the population needs to be immune for herd immunity.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:29 am

This isn't good, yesterday COVID:

UK new cases (population 66.7 million)
USA new cases (population 328 million)

UK tests per 1,000 residents
USA tests per 1,000 residents

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:48 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 pm
seataccat wrote:
catatac wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Would love to hear the math and stats to back that up. What percentage is needed for herd immunity?
Go read the wiki...

Voltaire

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:55 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."