High school fall sports a go in Montana

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: High school fall sports a go in Montana

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:59 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:36 pm
Here's a hypothetical question.

Your kid plays high school sports, they contract Covid from a packed HS gym because everyone was dying for something to do.
A. Your kid spends 0 days in the hospital minimal symptoms, but their best friend dies from Covid. Was it worth it?
B. Your kid spends a week in the hospital with a quick recovery, months/year later lung damage from covid is discovered and they can no longer play sports. Was it worth it?
C. Your kid spends a month in the hospital with damaged lungs that require them to be on oxygen for the rest of their life. Was it worth it?
D. Your kid spends 2 months in the hospital in and out of comas suffering and dies. Was it worth it?
E. Your kid gets sick but its nothing and they're healthy and strong, a week later they can't get out of bed or breathe properly. You take them to the hospital but they're are no beds in the ICU so they have to be admitted to a secondary facility were they die. The rest of your family contracts covid and 1 more family member dies. Was it worth it?
Those are lousy situations for sure. But based on current statistics, the odds of any of those happening are close to zero. I know right now the death rate of those under 35 are .8%. The odds of someone under 20 dying are .007% last I checked.

So using those hypotheticals you provided, couldn't we make the argument that it's NEVER worth playing sports? Or doing anything for that matter?

A. Your kid is driving to practice and gets hit by a train. Was it worth it?
B. Your kid makes it to practice but is promptly struck by lightning. Was it worth it?
C. Your kid makes it to practice, doesn't get struck by lightning, but breaks his neck in tackling drills. Was it worth it?
D. Your kid lays out a friend in tackling drills but is fine. His friend is paralyzed for life. Was it worth it?
E. Your kid avoids any major injury but spends the rest of his life with chronic knee and back pain. Was it worth it?

There are risks with everything. Right now the risks of a high school kid playing football are as close to zero as you can get, at least in regards to the virus.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:13 pm

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:13 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:59 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:53 pm
What are we talking here? Snare drums? Cymbals? A tambourine? Seems like you could be taking a risk that you and your family develop hearing loss if you're banging on a drum first thing in the morning. #Don'ttreadonmybongos
PapaG wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:47 pm
Nobody is forcing you to leave your home. Stay inside, be afraid if you must, and let the millions still out of work, behind on bills, and damaging their credit due to forced shutdowns take their chances be it going to work or attending a football game. How it went from 2 weeks to flatten the curve to now 19 weeks in and nobody should get sick so keep it shut down shows how easily manipulated so many people are by what government and media tell them.

Examples of people who do not care about safety percussions and only care about themselves. This is why we cannot get back to normal, selfishness and/or ignorance.
What's safe about hitting the gong as soon as you get out of bed in the morning? That seems selfish to me. I'm concerned for your wife's ears. Tinnitus is serous condition!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:17 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:13 pm
The Butcher wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
What are we talking here? Snare drums? Cymbals? A tambourine? Seems like you could be taking a risk that you and your family develop hearing loss if you're banging on a drum first thing in the morning. #Don'ttreadonmybongos
PapaG wrote:
Nobody is forcing you to leave your home. Stay inside, be afraid if you must, and let the millions still out of work, behind on bills, and damaging their credit due to forced shutdowns take their chances be it going to work or attending a football game. How it went from 2 weeks to flatten the curve to now 19 weeks in and nobody should get sick so keep it shut down shows how easily manipulated so many people are by what government and media tell them.

Examples of people who do not care about safety percussions and only care about themselves. This is why we cannot get back to normal, selfishness and/or ignorance.
What's safe about hitting the gong as soon as you get out of bed in the morning? That seems selfish to me. I'm concerned for your wife's ears. Tinnitus is serous condition!
I’d say it’s pretty selfish to not care one bit about the millions of families negatively impacted by not working for months and businesses closing forever all for political reasons. If Bullock didn’t allow HS football, he loses the Senate race. So, he’s willing, in your eyes, to put people at risk to help win a political election. He could shut down all HS sports if he wasn’t so selfish.

What a ride

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Not to be an a-hole but the word is precautions.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:25 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:22 pm
Come on, I was having fun!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:22 pm
Got it. Missed that one. Thanks. :lol:

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:46 pm

PapaG wrote:
I don't think Kyle is advocating for everyone to go back to work during this pandemic like you imply. You are constantly telling people that nobody is forcing them to leave there house. Well dude, nobody is forcing you to stay in. By all means go out there and expose yourself till your little heart is content.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:40 pm

seataccat wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:46 pm
PapaG wrote:
I don't think Kyle is advocating for everyone to go back to work during this pandemic like you imply. You are constantly telling people that nobody is forcing them to leave there house. Well dude, nobody is forcing you to stay in. By all means go out there and expose yourself till your little heart is content.
Somebody has to pay the taxes for you public working leeches. I pay your retirement and mine. Show some respect. Plenty of small businesses here will never recover, but if it SAVES ONE LIFE.

I know what Kyle meant. Thought it was funny coming from the far left, though. Kyle is a white Privilege trust fund hack. Hasn’t worked a real day in his life.
Last edited by PapaG on Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a ride

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:44 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:40 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:46 pm
PapaG wrote:
Somebody has to pay the taxes for you public working leeches. I pay your retirement and mine. Show some respect.
Uh huh.. your the only non lazy person in the country.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:17 pm

The Butcher wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
PapaG wrote:

I think @coloradocat was giving you a hard time for saying "percussions" instead of "precautions" :lol:

GO CATS GO!!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:25 am

Can we just admit that in the scheme of things, football is irrelevant. We are entering a Depression.

People need to work.

US Q2 GDP Crashes By A Record 32.9%

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020263/uploads/ed ... 7q7g5a.png

What a ride

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:28 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:25 am
Can we just admit that in the scheme of things, football is irrelevant. We are entering a Depression.

People need to work.

Nah. Shutting down the economy and people losing their businesses is what HAD to be done. Granted we have more cases now than we did then and we're not shutting things down and masks seem to be the savior....but it was necessary at the time.

I was told the economy and peoples' livelihoods would be just fine. Is this not the case?

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:28 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:25 am

People need to work.

I guess you have to ask the question: Did the economy crash because there was a pandemic? Or did the economy crash because the government ordered some people to stay home?

(Hint, you can easily answer this by looking at places that didn't officially order closures...Sweden, South Dakota/North Dakota and compare those with similar places that did have government ordered shutdowns...Norway, Montana...and see if there are any differences)

(Pro tip: There are no differences)

The only way to get the economy back on track is to beat down the pandemic. Once the pandemic is under control, the economy will rebound. Not one second before.