Covid hits MSU athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by Montanabob » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:15 pm

LCH wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 am
The absolute number of positive tests is less important than the percentage of positive results per number tested.
Well if you only test those that are symptomatic and not those that were exposed and possible then that number is useless

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:18 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:42 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:44 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:19 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:40 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:52 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:52 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:39 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:45 am
So now that the masks are "mandatory", we see health places across the state cancel testing they had planned for asymptomatic individuals.

Now we'll definitely see the amount of positive cases decrease lol. It's totally just a coincidence though.
That’s exactly what’s happening. MT doesn’t have the capacity to test asymptotic individuals as that was taking 7-10 days for results, if not longer. Now they are only testing symptomatic individuals moving forward. Our testing in the last few days, because of this, has been cut in half. Funny that the positive cases have also been cut in half. But let the masses tell ya “masks are working” :roll:
88 cases in 5000 and change tests today. That's not a drop in testing, at least not yet. I believe testing of asymptomatic people will continue, but only as a part of contact tracing and not general surveillance. The mask mandate is likely to help some in crowded places. Plus, why not do it? The worst that could happen is it isn't effective, not like it'll sicken us, harm us our really adversely affect us at all. If it can help, why wouldn't we want them mandated for a time? Might avoid another shutdown. I maintain that were this state to try to pass a mandatory seat belt law today it couldn't happen. Basic public safety and health is taking a backseat to "individual liberty" when in reality no one's rights or liberties are affected in the least by a mask mandate. Might save some of your fellow members of society, though.
Lol.

The tests that are reported today were taken 7-10 days ago most likely. They don't reflect the amount of tests taken today.
1800 tests yesterday, 224 positives. How's your theory aging so far? Still waiting on that fake decline in cases due to the propping up of that tyrannical face mask mandate...
Oh fer cute, Goldstone was able to cherry pick one singular day of stats to help it fit his narrative...isn’t that special 😂
Positive test rate staying remarkably consistent, actually. Yesterday was anomalous in that it was much higher, but today back around that 5-7% area we've been hovering for a month. I don't have a narrative. 99s narrative was that "they" would test less to achieve less overall positives, thereby justifying the mask mandate. It's a flawed theory, and I'm pushing back on it. Go pick a day in the past week. One low positive rate day, one high, most right in the same area. My point is there's no conspiracy in the data, as bad as some want there to be.
If you do fewer tests, you'll get fewer positive results than if you tested more. There is nothing flawed about it.
Exactly, and the only thing flawed is the governor reducing testing for asymptomatic people at the same time as ordering masks, thereby shaping the news (and no, the labs having a back log is not an excuse)! I've know his perception has been flawed for quite sometime though:)

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:03 pm

California and their leadership is an absolute disaster! No way we can return to normalcy with such incompetent leadership.

https://apple.news/AcfWVzSIWTXqPY08ZN-qFuQ

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:24 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
So now that the masks are "mandatory", we see health places across the state cancel testing they had planned for asymptomatic individuals.

Now we'll definitely see the amount of positive cases decrease lol. It's totally just a coincidence though.
That’s exactly what’s happening. MT doesn’t have the capacity to test asymptotic individuals as that was taking 7-10 days for results, if not longer. Now they are only testing symptomatic individuals moving forward. Our testing in the last few days, because of this, has been cut in half. Funny that the positive cases have also been cut in half. But let the masses tell ya “masks are working” :roll:
88 cases in 5000 and change tests today. That's not a drop in testing, at least not yet. I believe testing of asymptomatic people will continue, but only as a part of contact tracing and not general surveillance. The mask mandate is likely to help some in crowded places. Plus, why not do it? The worst that could happen is it isn't effective, not like it'll sicken us, harm us our really adversely affect us at all. If it can help, why wouldn't we want them mandated for a time? Might avoid another shutdown. I maintain that were this state to try to pass a mandatory seat belt law today it couldn't happen. Basic public safety and health is taking a backseat to "individual liberty" when in reality no one's rights or liberties are affected in the least by a mask mandate. Might save some of your fellow members of society, though.
Lol.

The tests that are reported today were taken 7-10 days ago most likely. They don't reflect the amount of tests taken today.
1800 tests yesterday, 224 positives. How's your theory aging so far? Still waiting on that fake decline in cases due to the propping up of that tyrannical face mask mandate...
Oh fer cute, Goldstone was able to cherry pick one singular day of stats to help it fit his narrative...isn’t that special 😂
Positive test rate staying remarkably consistent, actually. Yesterday was anomalous in that it was much higher, but today back around that 5-7% area we've been hovering for a month. I don't have a narrative. 99s narrative was that "they" would test less to achieve less overall positives, thereby justifying the mask mandate. It's a flawed theory, and I'm pushing back on it. Go pick a day in the past week. One low positive rate day, one high, most right in the same area. My point is there's no conspiracy in the data, as bad as some want there to be.
I wasn't talking about the rate, or percentage. I was referring to total numbers.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 pm

91catAlum wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Lol.

If you do fewer tests, you'll get fewer positive results than if you tested more. There is nothing flawed about it.
But we're not doing fewer tests. MSU is filling in some of the void that started this conversation. Over 5k on a day this week, most days between 1500-2500, right where we've been. Also, not absolutely true you'll find less cases with less tests. Depends who you're testing (symptomatics, close contacts, etc), hence the reason the positive rate has to matter to this conversation.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:00 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:39 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Lol.

I'm not saying the mask mandate is 100% going to cause a decline in cases, but given the incubation period of COVID-19 and the time it takes for testing results to be received, the majority of the cases being announced now would've been contracted before the mask mandate went into effect. If a week or two from now the numbers stay where they are, then there's more room for discussion about its effectiveness.
I think it will cause a decline, I'm with you. I just don't agree with some that the decline in cases will be due to less testing, and thereby be used as justification for masks. There's no doubt in my mind that if everyone both honored the mask mandate and was very militant about social distancing, avoiding groups etc, the infection rate would be drastically reduced. It seems clear to this point we're not, as a people, willing to do those things for any realistic length of time, so here we are.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:19 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 pm
But we're not doing fewer tests. MSU is filling in some of the void that started this conversation. Over 5k on a day this week, most days between 1500-2500, right where we've been. Also, not absolutely true you'll find less cases with less tests. Depends who you're testing (symptomatics, close contacts, etc), hence the reason the positive rate has to matter to this conversation.
Yes we are doing fewer tests.
Here's some of last week's news.
As a result, the state may cancel some of its surveillance testing, Bullock said.
https://www.ktvq.com/news/coronavirus/u ... as-working

Great Falls Benefis is done with asymptomatic testing:
https://www.kulr8.com/coronavirus/benef ... c7956.html

Also reducing testing in Helena.
https://www.ktvh.com/news/pureview-canc ... ough-tests

I'm sure there are more if you look.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:30 pm

I'll quote GoldstoneCat:

"The mask mandate is likely to help some in crowded places. Plus, why not do it? The worst that could happen is it isn't effective, not like it'll sicken us, harm us our really adversely affect us at all. If it can help, why wouldn't we want them mandated for a time? Might avoid another shutdown. I maintain that were this state to try to pass a mandatory seat belt law today it couldn't happen. Basic public safety and health is taking a backseat to "individual liberty" when in reality no one's rights or liberties are affected in the least by a mask mandate. Might save some of your fellow members of society, though."

You can't argue with a single point GoldstoneCat makes. I'm pretty damn conservative and well right of center and agree 100% with him. If wearing a mask increases the probability of me watching Bobcat games in the stadium this year by even 1%, then wear a goddamn mask. It ain't that big of a deal. Yeah, there is a lot of # skewing and statistics ignorant press spouting off. But if you are a fan of anyone other than yourself, put on a mask. PLEASE.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

NOCOcat2005
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NOCOcat2005 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:46 pm

It's really simple, wearing a mask says you care about your fellow man/woman. Driving down the numbers on COVID-19 is all of our responsibility right now. It shouldn't be political, wear a mask, save a life, be safe, socially distance and we'll all get through this mess together! Go Cats 🐈

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:22 pm

Please cut to the chase. What is the mortality rate if you catch the virus??? Without getting into a link fest, is it it something less than ½ of 1 %? Or from the other angle, the survivability rate is something better than 99.5% if you get it??? If I’m in the ballpark, is sacrificing a year or more of the children’s education, economic growth & prosperity (jobs), social disruption (simply put, a lot of depressed, paranoid, and pissed off people), and lastly, as this is a sports board, the curtailment or cancellation of sports that is essential for the participants and fans to have a release from all the aforementioned stresses worth it? Sorry, not accepting presumably saving 1/2 of 1 % as a rational answer considering what people die from ALL the time.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:04 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:22 pm
Please cut to the chase. What is the mortality rate if you catch the virus??? Without getting into a link fest, is it it something less than ½ of 1 %? Or from the other angle, the survivability rate is something better than 99.5% if you get it??? If I’m in the ballpark, is sacrificing a year or more of the children’s education, economic growth & prosperity (jobs), social disruption (simply put, a lot of depressed, paranoid, and pissed off people), and lastly, as this is a sports board, the curtailment or cancellation of sports that is essential for the participants and fans to have a release from all the aforementioned stresses worth it? Sorry, not accepting presumably saving 1/2 of 1 % as a rational answer considering what people die from ALL the time.
This argument isn’t getting you anywhere.... :wink:

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:29 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:04 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence....but "we will get through this together" :wink:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:29 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence....but "we will get through this together" :wink:
It hasn’t worked for me and I’ve been banging the drum since March. Ha.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:56 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
It depends on all sorts of factors. For the population, as a whole, it’s likely going to settle in at about 1%. Which is about the Same death risk of BASE jumping or getting hooked on meth. If you think, “Hey, only 1% of meth addicts die of an OD, it must be pretty safe”...well, then... :cry:

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:02 pm

codecat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:18 pm
91catAlum wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Lol.

Exactly, and the only thing flawed is the governor reducing testing for asymptomatic people at the same time as ordering masks, thereby shaping the news (and no, the labs having a back log is not an excuse)! I've know his perception has been flawed for quite sometime though:)
It’s like MSU grads don’t understand basic statistics: if you increase testing of asymptomatic people, you total number of positives will increase Very slightly, but your positive test % will go down. If you increase testing of symptomatic people, or people exposed, then your numbers will go up AND your positive test % will go up too.

One scenario is great-it means the pandemic is under control. The other scenario means the pandemic is out of control. C’mon. This is supposed to be the land grant institution where people understand basic effing math.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:57 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:56 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
It depends on all sorts of factors. For the population, as a whole, it’s likely going to settle in at about 1%. Which is about the Same death risk of BASE jumping or getting hooked on meth. If you think, “Hey, only 1% of meth addicts die of an OD, it must be pretty safe”...well, then... :cry:
Hold my beer while I...

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:50 pm

onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
Per usual you are suggesting things that I for one, have never said. This isn’t about whether or not the virus is “safe” or not. It’s about whether or not it’s so dangerous to warrant all the attention and restrictions it’s garnered.

Using your example, should we close businesses again and keep kids out of school until we cure meth addiction? Not even all other drug addictions that kill thousands every year; just meth. Would that be reasonable and you would support it?

Should we ignore the fact that homelessness, domestic violence, suicides and hunger have all risen? Because that’s sure what it feels like. My hope is that when we’re on the better side of this deadly virus, as a society we start giving other major issues, that result in many deaths, even an ounce of the attention and care it got all these months. Because issues I mentioned, in addition to things like sexual assault, human trafficking, along with the plethora of diseases that kill millions every year, could really use the attention.

Time will tell! [-o<

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:21 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:19 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 pm
Yes we are doing fewer tests.
Here's some of last week's news.
As a result, the state may cancel some of its surveillance testing, Bullock said.
https://www.ktvq.com/news/coronavirus/u ... as-working

Great Falls Benefis is done with asymptomatic testing:
https://www.kulr8.com/coronavirus/benef ... c7956.html

Also reducing testing in Helena.
https://www.ktvh.com/news/pureview-canc ... ough-tests

I'm sure there are more if you look.
I read the articles you cite, and posted about MSU processing 500 a day to fill some of the gap mentioned in those articles. Despite what they said in those articles, we aren't actually running fewer tests, at least not yet. But i already said that, and you clearly didn't read it as you highlighted my first sentence and responded to it only. Who was the one doing the cherry-picking again?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:15 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:50 pm
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
Per usual you are suggesting things that I for one, have never said. This isn’t about whether or not the virus is “safe” or not. It’s about whether or not it’s so dangerous to warrant all the attention and restrictions it’s garnered.

Using your example, should we close businesses again and keep kids out of school until we cure meth addiction? Not even all other drug addictions that kill thousands every year; just meth. Would that be reasonable and you would support it?

Should we ignore the fact that homelessness, domestic violence, suicides and hunger have all risen? Because that’s sure what it feels like. My hope is that when we’re on the better side of this deadly virus, as a society we start giving other major issues, that result in many deaths, even an ounce of the attention and care it got all these months. Because issues I mentioned, in addition to things like sexual assault, human trafficking, along with the plethora of diseases that kill millions every year, could really use the attention.

Time will tell! [-o<
We should take common sense measures to check the spread of the pandemic. Kids are back in school in Europe & sports are starting up everywhere except the US (we will see how the NBA season goes).

I want my kids back in school this fall & I want businesses to be open. Unfortunately through a series of embarrassingly bad policy decisions & the spread of misinformation from Facebook propagandists, we are stuck in a situation where, as a country, we are worse off than we were April 1.

We squandered trillions of dollars, not to mention the laundry list of issues you pointed out, and we STILL are on the brink of cancelling fall sports, more business closures, and another semester of distance learning.

Meanwhile, Europe, Canada, New Zealand, & SE Asia pretty much have this thing beat.

I just want the nice things that the rest of the world gets, not to be living in a 3rd world failed state.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:23 am

This article was written just for this type of discussion! Many posters will look at this and declare "I resemble that remark!"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/us/c ... e=Homepage

I've got to point out that Cali has more people than the entire country full of canucks in a much smaller area...