Skyline Sports preseason All-Big Sky picks

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Skyline Sports preseason All-Big Sky picks

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:21 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:10 pm
If anyone gets a chance, today's Tottell and Nuanz podcast has Choates interview at the Big Sky Media. Tottell compares Choates response to being a coach during a time when there is unrest about racial inequality and social justice to Haucks. Tottell praised Choate and completely ripped Bobby on his response. Not sure how to post the link, but it's well worth the listen.
I linked it in another thread. The responses are night and day. Also, Choate's words weren't a response. He brought it up and then was thanked by the interviewer after he was done talking.

Here it is: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0485894868

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:27 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:21 pm
wbtfg wrote:
If anyone gets a chance, today's Tottell and Nuanz podcast has Choates interview at the Big Sky Media. Tottell compares Choates response to being a coach during a time when there is unrest about racial inequality and social justice to Haucks. Tottell praised Choate and completely ripped Bobby on his response. Not sure how to post the link, but it's well worth the listen.
I linked it in another thread. The responses are night and day. Also, Choate's words weren't a response. He brought it up and then was thanked by the interviewer after he was done talking.

Well this is gonna escalate quickly.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:27 pm
coloradocat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Hopefully not. Regardless of what anyone thinks about current events, Choate is just much more aware that he's a public figure and knows how to frame his words in a way that will be well received. These clips make it sound like Choate wants to be there for his players while Hack wants to make sure they aren't reading fake news. You can agree with Bobbi's opinion and still think he could have said it differently.

I never listened to Bobbi before he came back to Missoula but over the last couple years he just seems to be uncomfortable talking to the media (and in public in general?). His "jokes" always seem to fall flat and he comes off as too serious when he's not joking. In this situation he clearly didn't read the room.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:13 pm

Bobby seems to have trouble not only reading rooms but also MSU defenses.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:31 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Hopefully not. Regardless of what anyone thinks about current events, Choate is just much more aware that he's a public figure and knows how to frame his words in a way that will be well received. These clips make it sound like Choate wants to be there for his players while Hack wants to make sure they aren't reading fake news. You can agree with Bobbi's opinion and still think he could have said it differently.

I never listened to Bobbi before he came back to Missoula but over the last couple years he just seems to be uncomfortable talking to the media (and in public in general?). His "jokes" always seem to fall flat and he comes off as too serious when he's not joking. In this situation he clearly didn't read the room.
If you watch the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ll3cWECyw) she asks a follow up question about how each coach is supporting their players and letting them have a voice. After the second coach answers she doesn't even bother with Bobbi, she just moves onto the next question.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:37 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Good summary Colorado Cat. I get the exact same way. Tootel did a great job discussing it as well and I was expecting him to get blown up today at Egriz. However I couldn’t find one single comment regarding the episode.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:28 pm

wbtfg wrote:
maybe if @Colter_Nuanez is listening, he can post a link...

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:35 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:28 pm
wbtfg wrote:
I posted the full Youtube video above.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:29 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:35 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:28 pm
wbtfg wrote:
I posted the full Youtube video above.
Oh thanks!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:37 pm

Here is the link to Tootel and Nuanez where you can listen to their take. It is the July 23 show titled Jeff Choate. You can listen online or on your phone. The part about Choate and Hauck is around 27 minutes.

http://1029espn.com/tootell-and-nuanez-podcast/

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:26 am

Getting a ton of tackles 6-7 yards down the field like Hauck does isn't that impressive. Those plays are a win for the offense.

ruralcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ruralcat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:28 pm

In regards to little Hauck. Our satellite dish is currently down so we are relegated to watching DVR recording which consists mostly of Bobcat games. I’ve had quite a bit of time to really watch the game in a subjective manner rather than a fan. Little Robbie is not a good player. For the most part he is a liability. He is really good at being around the pile at the end of the play. He takes terrible angles as everyone already knows. The thing is he is never put in a position to blatantly look horrible to the average fan. He basically blends in but really doesn’t contribute enough to be any kind of game changer. You have to think of daddy wasn’t head coach he might not be on the field all the time. Just my 2 cents

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:56 pm

ruralcat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:28 pm
In regards to little Hauck. Our satellite dish is currently down so we are relegated to watching DVR recording which consists mostly of Bobcat games. I’ve had quite a bit of time to really watch the game in a subjective manner rather than a fan. Little Robbie is not a good player. For the most part he is a liability. He is really good at being around the pile at the end of the play. He takes terrible angles as everyone already knows. The thing is he is never put in a position to blatantly look horrible to the average fan. He basically blends in but really doesn’t contribute enough to be any kind of game changer. You have to think of daddy wasn’t head coach he might not be on the field all the time. Just my 2 cents
Exactly. But if Papa Hack wants to keep playing little Robby, I’m all in favor. Guarantee he wouldn’t start for probably 7 or 8 (at least) BSC teams, and knowing our roster better, I don’t think he’d crack the 2-deep at MSU. He’s not big enough, fast enough, or smart enough to make up for the first two. The rest of the griz defense isn’t good enough to help out either, most of his tackles are 8+ yards downfield, at a place like MSU right now, those plays are already over.

GO CATS GO!!!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:11 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:56 pm
ruralcat wrote:
Exactly. But if Papa Hack wants to keep playing little Robby, I’m all in favor. Guarantee he wouldn’t start for probably 7 or 8 (at least) BSC teams, and knowing our roster better, I don’t think he’d crack the 2-deep at MSU. He’s not big enough, fast enough, or smart enough to make up for the first two. The rest of the griz defense isn’t good enough to help out either, most of his tackles are 8+ yards downfield, at a place like MSU right now, those plays are already over.
I'm all for bashing the Bobster but the kid must have something. Are all of the coaches and sportswriters idiots?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:09 am

allcat wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:11 am
BozoneCat wrote:
ruralcat wrote:
I'm all for bashing the Bobster but the kid must have something. Are all of the coaches and sportswriters idiots?
In this case I would say yes. A lot of sportswriters and coaches are enamored with statistics these days and Robby has them. However, like coach Choate often says ... "Statistics are for losers". All I know is I'll be very happy seeing Robby back there when we play them again this year. I think he is a huge liability against teams that can power run up the middle, but have the speed to instantly kick it to the outside. He pretty much is a tackler at the end of the funnel for their defense. When the funnel is bent or springs a leak ----> TD!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:38 am

I've only seen him play twice and that was against MSU. I've watched both games multiple times. I don't recall seeing him make a play in either game. By that I mean, he didn't make a good open-field tackle, no TFl, didn't force a fumble (he's credited with one in 2019, but the replay clearly shows he didn't force it), intercept a pass, break up a pass, or recover a fumble. He didn't make a good read to break up a play, he didn't take a good angle on a player running past him. He's constantly out of position, taking bad angles and getting run over, by, or through. Maybe he just had a bad game those days.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:29 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:09 am
allcat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
ruralcat wrote:
In this case I would say yes. A lot of sportswriters and coaches are enamored with statistics these days and Robby has them. However, like coach Choate often says ... "Statistics are for losers". All I know is I'll be very happy seeing Robby back there when we play them again this year. I think he is a huge liability against teams that can power run up the middle, but have the speed to instantly kick it to the outside. He pretty much is a tackler at the end of the funnel for their defense. When the funnel is bent or springs a leak ----> TD!
If you lead the conference in 0.5 Tackles by a wide margin that still adds up to a lot of total tackles!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:38 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:29 am
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
allcat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
ruralcat wrote:
If you lead the conference in 0.5 Tackles by a wide margin that still adds up to a lot of total tackles!
Does touching a ball carrier as they are being tackled by another player constitute a 0.5 tackle? It does at um and that's where the stats are padded.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:48 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
allcat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
ruralcat wrote:
Exactly, totally agree. I mean, I'm probably among the most vociferous anti-Bobby people out there, I just pure can't stand the guy, but this honestly has nothing to do with him. I would have the exact same opinion if he had a different name, or hell, if this situation was for a player at another school. I just think the accolades for him are absurd, and the tape shows it. I can honestly forgive the national people who vote on the All-America lists, they don't have time to watch tape on every guy and pretty much go off the numbers. At the FCS level, they aren't getting paid enough (if anything) to hold them more accountable than that. However, I do expect the Big Sky writers - and Colter in particular - to have enough knowledge to make a more informed vote. The coaches, I can also forgive because there are politics involved in these votes, and especially for a guy like Hauck because of his name. The writers, I don't buy that excuse. If they don't know better, then they're lazy. I don't have a good explanation, but like Cardiac said, I very much look forward to facing him if and when we play them this year.

GO CATS GO!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:54 pm

If you're basing your perception of any defender on the Griz roster solely based on the Cat/Griz games, especially last year, you aren't going to be impressed with anybody except for maybe Dante Olson.

Hauck benefits from the system he plays him but he is a good player. I also think he is a bit of a dirty player, but that's neither here nor there.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast