Skyline Sports preseason All-Big Sky picks

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Skyline Sports preseason All-Big Sky picks

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:14 am

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Skyline Sports preseason All-Big Sky picks

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 pm

Lost a little respect for putting Robby Hauck on your list. Not because of his name or who he plays for. He’s just not that good.

GO CATS GO!!!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:47 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 pm
Lost a little respect for putting Robby Hauck on your list. Not because of his name or who he plays for. He’s just not that good.
Oh come on, he got something like 900 tackles last season.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:53 pm

The griz wrs get a bit of love. Hopefully there is an adequate qb to get them the ball.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:13 am

RickRund wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:47 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Oh come on, he got something like 900 tackles last season.
I agree with Bozone. I just don’t understand the infatuation with Robby Hauck. When he actually does make a tackle, it is 5-10 yards downfield and he hangs on as he is run over. But too often he is running behind someone who got past him. I do respect his toughness as he is undersized, but overall he is just not that good.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:53 am

Pretty accurate list imo. That griz wr combo is just crazy, going to be tough to defend. I am excited to see what amandre can do... I could also see one of our bobcat LB’s sneaking onto that list by seasons end... look for hardy to have a big senior season, especially with TA out.

I agree that the hauck kid is waaaaay over rated. But with that being said, I don’t know enough about the rest of the league to say who I would put in his place.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:54 am

I think Hauck Jr. is good in their system. That doesn't mean he is a good or bad player necessarily, but he is a great fit for what they do. Unfortunately for the Griz, everything they do defensively is a bad fit for us (or good from our perspective).

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:10 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:54 am
I think Hauck Jr. is good in their system. That doesn't mean he is a good or bad player necessarily, but he is a great fit for what they do. Unfortunately for the Griz, everything they do defensively is a bad fit for us (or good from our perspective).
You could be right. I've only watched him in the Cat griz game last year, and every time I rewatch that game, I see play after play where he's taking a terrible angle, and letting ball carriers get past him. But maybe he just had a bad day and was really good in their other games... honestly I dont know.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:56 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:59 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:10 am
CelticCat wrote:
You could be right. I've only watched him in the Cat griz game last year, and every time I rewatch that game, I see play after play where he's taking a terrible angle, and letting ball carriers get past him. But maybe he just had a bad day and was really good in their other games... honestly I dont know.
He's definitely better than that game. But I haven't enjoyed watching a player get embarrassed like that since Connor Strahm.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:04 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:59 am
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
He's definitely better than that game. But I haven't enjoyed watching a player get embarrassed like that since Connor Strahm.
Not sure if this video link will work, but watch him miss the tackle allowing another 10 yards on the carry.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:05 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:04 am
CelticCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Not sure if this video link will work, but watch him miss the tackle allowing another 10 yards on the carry.

Didn’t work for the specific play, but a good reason to rewatch the game again!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:08 am

Snubs:

RB - Isaiah Ifanse
DE - Amandre Williams
DT - Chase Benson
CB - Tyrel Thomas (I get why he wouldn't make a 1st team preseason list from a production standpoint but he was one of the best corners in the league down the stretch)

I know this is just individual recognition but the #3 rated team in the Big Sky shouldn't only have 2 players on the All-Big Sky list. Sac State got six.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:11 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:05 am
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:04 am
CelticCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Didn’t work for the specific play, but a good reason to rewatch the game again!!
Guess we'll have to just watch the whole thing to find the play you're talking about...darn. ;)

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:12 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:08 am
Snubs:

RB - Isaiah Ifanse
DE - Amandre Williams
DT - Chase Benson
CB - Tyrel Thomas (I get why he wouldn't make a 1st team preseason list from a production standpoint but he was one of the best corners in the league down the stretch)

I know this is just individual recognition but the #3 rated team in the Big Sky shouldn't only have 2 players on the All-Big Sky list. Sac State got six.
It is interesting that Colters list had Ifanse, Amandre and Benson on it.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:17 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:08 am
Snubs:

RB - Isaiah Ifanse
DE - Amandre Williams
DT - Chase Benson

I also understand the arguments for the RB's listed. Davis and Dotson have been great. However, Gilliam and Ifanse have just as much of an argument to be listed over those two because I believe they are more complete backs than Davis and Dotson. No one in the league can make something out of nothing better than Isaiah (with the exception of that kid from Dillon).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 am

BozoneCat wrote:
I'm curious if teams see Hauck Jr as a weak link in the Griz defense and so plays are designed to go his direction and thus give him more opportunities to get tackles. I would also like to see the average gain the griz opponent gains when Hauck Jr is making the tackle.

But with all these tackles he is earning that should also give him more opportunities to become a better player.

We will see if he continues to deserve the pre-season accolades. The post-season accolades mean a whole lot more than the pre-season ones.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:16 pm

wapiti wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 am
BozoneCat wrote:
We will see if he continues to deserve the pre-season accolades. The post-season accolades mean a whole lot more than the pre-season ones.
Agreed, but the thing is, with the two for one deal the stats keepers give every griz defensive player on their tackles, he’ll get some of those post season accolades too.

Just like their LB last year, he was no doubt a very good LB, but he didn’t actually have the 160+ tackles he was credited for.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:59 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:16 pm
wapiti wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Agreed, but the thing is, with the two for one deal the stats keepers give every griz defensive player on their tackles, he’ll get some of those post season accolades too.

Just like their LB last year, he was no doubt a very good LB, but he didn’t actually have the 160+ tackles he was credited for.
I researched this and something that is very misunderstood is that the stats used for tackles or anything else fall on the home team and their stat keepers. So last year I believe Olson had 14 tackles in Cat-Griz here at home. Those were given to him by MSU stat keepers. Maybe his stats get padded at home more but all of his road tackles were courtesy of the host team. And he seemed to rack up double digit tackles in those games. It’s how their defense is set up more than anything else. Everything literally funnels to their backers and safeties. Remember Olson led the shrine game with tackles, too, amongst the best players in the nation.

You can find what I’m referring to as far as host team submits the stats right here:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/Policies.pdf

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:10 pm

If anyone gets a chance, today's Tottell and Nuanz podcast has Choates interview at the Big Sky Media. Tottell compares Choates response to being a coach during a time when there is unrest about racial inequality and social justice to Haucks. Tottell praised Choate and completely ripped Bobby on his response. Not sure how to post the link, but it's well worth the listen.