Jeff Welsch Says Fall Football is Toast

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Jeff Welsch Says Fall Football is Toast

Post by LCH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:25 pm

If you have an analyzer with a 30 minute turnaround that's great. The problem is the analyzer runs 1 test at a time or a couple of tests per hour, not too useful with testing backlogs of thousands of tests.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:29 pm

I'm not lying. I said Quest Diagnostics where our sentinel testing was being sent has a 2 week turnaround time. Individual Montana labs testing symptomatic people certainly have a shorter turnaround time.

You should learn to read.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:55 pm

Arguing with a dude like PapaG is pointless. He will argue on the board, tell you to PM him as to why you think he is being stupid, unreasonable, an a**hole or what have you, then argue with you in the PMs. And nobody will ever convince him differently because he is the type of dude that will tell people they are wrong because he hasn't seen any proof.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:17 pm

LCH wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:02 pm
Thanks for the heads up!
Thanks for the good information you posted earlier in the thread! Unfortunately, as we see in this thread, rational thought is becoming increasingly difficult to find on the internet these days.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Thank you for all the work you're doing to help fight this pandemic. Remember that there are people out there who are still socially isolated, wearing masks, and listening to the advice of the many great scientists, doctors, nurses, engineers, etc. that are on the front lines fighting this virus.

I think some people are desperate to be right no matter the cost. With the POTUS down in the polls so deep nationwide (up to 15 percent nationwide in a latest ABC NEWS poll, and by 9 percent on average over all recent polls) and in critical swing states (Florida, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Nevada all show Biden with huge (6-8%) leads; Ohio, Arizona, North Carolina have Biden leading but within the margin of error; and Texas, Georgia, and Iowa all have Trump up by less than 1%) some people are fighting the only way they know how: they are acting out. They don't understand why the rest of America doesn't see the world the way they do and they are afraid they are going to lose the person that speaks to them. It is sad to me that they are choosing to do so by risking all of our health and economic well-being by going about their lives as per usual just so they don't have to admit that they might not be right.

The truth is that people are scared. Did you see the response of Papa when I told him of the two family members my wife and I lost? He threw a temper-tantrum. He cannot acknowledge this truth because if he does, he has to admit that this virus is real and it is very, very deadly. I mean, if all 143k dead were from rural Montana, maybe they would care or understand. Instead, since many are from the coasts - and are likely mouth-breathing liberals - they are alright with the dead. Better than the economy, right? Why is it that when facts are presented - these are real numbers from real sources mind you - it feels like they are always countered with excuses? A 3.7% fatality rate? Well, that doesn't take into account asymptomatic carriers. Increasing case numbers? Well, that's because we're testing more. It's time for everyone to admit that you don't know everything. I certainly don't! I just know that this thing is bigger than me and that the best doctors and scientists in the world are telling us to socially distance and wear masks. Just do it! The sooner you do, the quicker life gets back to normal. The reason we are still in the middle of a pandemic while much of Asia and Europe are experiencing normalcy is that they did a better job of isolating and wearing masks (except Sweden, who killed lots of people needlessly with an insane "herd immunity" theory that ended up not being applicable with this virus). Period. End of story. No country is perfect and they are likely going to see a second wave, but they did better than us because they had an authority figure that people listened to. If you wanted football so desperately this fall, you all should have followed the advice of the scientists and doctors in March and April like some of us did. The prolonged nature of this social isolation/mask mandate is because of your inability to do something for the common good.

Finally, if you are worried about the economic recovery (I am), contact your representatives and senators and demand income during the pandemic and follow the rules so we can all get back to work as soon as possible.
LCH wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:29 pm
I'm not lying. I said Quest Diagnostics where our sentinel testing was being sent has a 2 week turnaround time. Individual Montana labs testing symptomatic people certainly have a shorter turnaround time.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:37 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:19 pm
Funny, my father-in-law (two tours of duty in Vietnam, retired NYPD Detective, retired Customs/Homeland Security, staunch Republican) has no problem wearing a mask in public and social distancing. Why, you might ask? Because he recognizes that this is not a political issue. Just because you are conservative does not mean that you have to ignore facts or invent them to support your selfish actions.

To summarize:

Cloth masks help other people in case you are infected. It severely impedes fluid flow when you cough, sneeze, yell, chant, etc. Staying a safe distance away from others is still the best prevention method, but masks (and eye protection help some). Cloth masks do not help the wearer much but it helps others a lot.

The POTUS is actively trying to suppress testing. Read any article from a reliable source and you will see that this is true. You cannot blame the "Dems" for making this political and not acknowledge that the "Dems" want to expand testing significantly and employ contact tracing whereas the POTUS is threatening to veto any stimulus package that doesn't cut testing. You cannot blame the "Dems" for making this political and not acknowledge that the "Dems" want to actually test aggressively.

The original shutdown didn't work. People ignored advice and did what they wanted. We still haven't made it out of the first wave of this pandemic. We have made improvements on treatment of the virus, but we do not "know how to treat this virus now". That is a gross overstatement. Remember that just because the death rate of those hospitalized is decreasing does not mean that the long-term effects are being addressed. A significant number of those infected have long-term/permanent heart and/or lung damage. 143,000+ people have died from this virus in the US alone. That is more American deaths (since March) than American deaths in every war, conflict, and terrorist attack combined since World War II. Let that linger for a moment. The Korean War. The Vietnam Conflict. Oklahoma City, Desert Storm. 9/11. The War on Terror. Benghazi. We've had more deaths in this country in the last four months to one virus than in all of these combined.

Science is fluid. Our understanding of the virus and how it has transmitted has changed since we first dealt with it four months ago. If you look at an initial recommendation and think of it as fact, you just don't understand how the world works. As we learn more, we adapt. That's the way the world works. If you want normalcy as soon as possible, the best thing you can do is follow the advice (and mandates) on best practices and convince all those around you to do so as well. I want to watch the Bobcats play football too. I want normalcy as well. Our normalcy and our economic recovery depends on getting through this as quickly and painlessly as possible. The science does not support returning to normal. Science would have everyone stay home (unless a case of emergency) for 21 days and then only return to society with no symptoms and/or testing. Had we done that in March/April, we'd be past the first wave by now. We'd be watching college football in the fall. We would have no need for a second economic stimulus package.

YOU need to stop making this political. I'm married to an independent and already mentioned my very conservative father-in-law. We are able to all speak about this virus together because we deal with facts. Stop pointing fingers and start doing something to help. We need everyone invested to beat this, no matter their political ideology. Right now I don't trust politicians to have the answer. I trust scientists. I think you should too.

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:56 am
Its all ******

Even N95 masks are almost worthless, a cloth rag on your face does absolutely nothing. Does anybody notice that when they mandated masks they also told medical providers to reduce testing to only symptomatic and high risk people. Automatically the new case rate will drop and they will point to masks for doing it. The high percentage of false positive tests are fueling the false fear.

The original shutdown was designed to "flatten the curve" and give medical time to gear up, produce more ventilators and develop therapeutics, It worked all of the above. Therapeutics have greatly reduced the hospitalizations and death rate, we no have plenty of ventilators and medical knows how to treat this virus now.

Dems have made this political due to an election year.

I am borderline in the high risk category (58 with other medical condition) I will gladly go to a game in a full stadium next week without a mask, even if it is located in a county with a high infection rate.
Just a couple of notes;

masks can help if used correctly, (look at the studies) the problem is that they almost never are, if you touch the mask at all you are transferring it to your hands and then spreading it to more surfaces and people, likewise if you don't sterilize the mask you are not doing any good either.

The governors are in charge of testing policy in each state, our governor recently mandated that testing be reduced as have many other govs, both D and R.

There is a high number of false positives with the Wuhan flu test, CDC and several states have had to make corrections with misreporting, at this point the data is crap at best and all information available says that testing is not what your think it is. The deaths have been inflated to include died with covid and dies with symptoms.

The original shutdown did exactly what it was designed to do, flatten the curve while medical learned about treatments, ventilators were manufactured and and we generally learned more about this virus. Now we know that it is not nearly as lethal to people under 70 as we thought, we have therapeutics to treat it, and we have all the ventilators we need for those that get bad cases of the china flu.

The Dems and some other have moved the goal post now, they want the country locked down until we have a vaccine or Nov 4th whichever comes first.

Its bull****, I know it, you know it and so does everyone else.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:53 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wuhan flu will be a thing of the past on November 4th
That seems a little optimistic. I'd say more like January 20th.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:56 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:37 pm
coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:19 pm
Funny, my father-in-law (two tours of duty in Vietnam, retired NYPD Detective, retired Customs/Homeland Security, staunch Republican) has no problem wearing a mask in public and social distancing. Why, you might ask? Because he recognizes that this is not a political issue. Just because you are conservative does not mean that you have to ignore facts or invent them to support your selfish actions.

To summarize:

Cloth masks help other people in case you are infected. It severely impedes fluid flow when you cough, sneeze, yell, chant, etc. Staying a safe distance away from others is still the best prevention method, but masks (and eye protection help some). Cloth masks do not help the wearer much but it helps others a lot.

The POTUS is actively trying to suppress testing. Read any article from a reliable source and you will see that this is true. You cannot blame the "Dems" for making this political and not acknowledge that the "Dems" want to expand testing significantly and employ contact tracing whereas the POTUS is threatening to veto any stimulus package that doesn't cut testing. You cannot blame the "Dems" for making this political and not acknowledge that the "Dems" want to actually test aggressively.

The original shutdown didn't work. People ignored advice and did what they wanted. We still haven't made it out of the first wave of this pandemic. We have made improvements on treatment of the virus, but we do not "know how to treat this virus now". That is a gross overstatement. Remember that just because the death rate of those hospitalized is decreasing does not mean that the long-term effects are being addressed. A significant number of those infected have long-term/permanent heart and/or lung damage. 143,000+ people have died from this virus in the US alone. That is more American deaths (since March) than American deaths in every war, conflict, and terrorist attack combined since World War II. Let that linger for a moment. The Korean War. The Vietnam Conflict. Oklahoma City, Desert Storm. 9/11. The War on Terror. Benghazi. We've had more deaths in this country in the last four months to one virus than in all of these combined.

Science is fluid. Our understanding of the virus and how it has transmitted has changed since we first dealt with it four months ago. If you look at an initial recommendation and think of it as fact, you just don't understand how the world works. As we learn more, we adapt. That's the way the world works. If you want normalcy as soon as possible, the best thing you can do is follow the advice (and mandates) on best practices and convince all those around you to do so as well. I want to watch the Bobcats play football too. I want normalcy as well. Our normalcy and our economic recovery depends on getting through this as quickly and painlessly as possible. The science does not support returning to normal. Science would have everyone stay home (unless a case of emergency) for 21 days and then only return to society with no symptoms and/or testing. Had we done that in March/April, we'd be past the first wave by now. We'd be watching college football in the fall. We would have no need for a second economic stimulus package.

YOU need to stop making this political. I'm married to an independent and already mentioned my very conservative father-in-law. We are able to all speak about this virus together because we deal with facts. Stop pointing fingers and start doing something to help. We need everyone invested to beat this, no matter their political ideology. Right now I don't trust politicians to have the answer. I trust scientists. I think you should too.

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:56 am
Its all ******

Even N95 masks are almost worthless, a cloth rag on your face does absolutely nothing. Does anybody notice that when they mandated masks they also told medical providers to reduce testing to only symptomatic and high risk people. Automatically the new case rate will drop and they will point to masks for doing it. The high percentage of false positive tests are fueling the false fear.

The original shutdown was designed to "flatten the curve" and give medical time to gear up, produce more ventilators and develop therapeutics, It worked all of the above. Therapeutics have greatly reduced the hospitalizations and death rate, we no have plenty of ventilators and medical knows how to treat this virus now.

Dems have made this political due to an election year.

I am borderline in the high risk category (58 with other medical condition) I will gladly go to a game in a full stadium next week without a mask, even if it is located in a county with a high infection rate.
Just a couple of notes;

masks can help if used correctly, (look at the studies) the problem is that they almost never are, if you touch the mask at all you are transferring it to your hands and then spreading it to more surfaces and people, likewise if you don't sterilize the mask you are not doing any good either.

The governors are in charge of testing policy in each state, our governor recently mandated that testing be reduced as have many other govs, both D and R.

There is a high number of false positives with the Wuhan flu test, CDC and several states have had to make corrections with misreporting, at this point the data is crap at best and all information available says that testing is not what your think it is. The deaths have been inflated to include died with covid and dies with symptoms.

The original shutdown did exactly what it was designed to do, flatten the curve while medical learned about treatments, ventilators were manufactured and and we generally learned more about this virus. Now we know that it is not nearly as lethal to people under 70 as we thought, we have therapeutics to treat it, and we have all the ventilators we need for those that get bad cases of the china flu.

The Dems and some other have moved the goal post now, they want the country locked down until we have a vaccine or Nov 4th whichever comes first.

Its bull****, I know it, you know it and so does everyone else.
There's your flattened curve: https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends.

Get back to me about moving goalposts when we learn the meaning of the word flatten.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Actually the PCR testing is extremely accurate. Any positive test is considered presumptive positive and must be confirmed by a PCR method. Most errors in testing are probably false negatives caused by bad sampling practices.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:46 pm

LCH wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:08 pm
The Doctors have learned more about treating the disease and have been able to keep more folks off ventilators, but without these better treatments the death rate would be much higher.
You seem knowledgeable on this so I have a couple questions. First, isn’t the part above a good thing? And goes without saying? We have learned more about the disease and have better treatments, hence the dropping death rates. That’s like saying if we didn’t get a vaccine more people would die. But we have a vaccine, so less people die. But we’ll keep saying how deadly it is? I’d love to see what you mean there.

2nd, where do I need to go to learn about the rising rates of death like you suggested. Everything I have found says otherwise. Here is a blip straight from the CDC, updated 3 days ago.
Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC) decreased from 8.1% during week 27 to 6.4% during week 28, representing the twelfth week of a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC.
What am I missing? Is this another situation where if I wait 2-3 weeks I’ll see that it’s actually rising? Because I’ve been told things will be way worse in “2-3 weeks” for months now. So I’m genuinely curious.

Appreciate the feedback. You seem to have some info in regards to testing so I’m curious.

ameriCATS
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ameriCATS » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:02 pm

LCH wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:27 pm
Actually the PCR testing is extremely accurate. Any positive test is considered presumptive positive and must be confirmed by a PCR method. Most errors in testing are probably false negatives caused by bad sampling practices.
But can you prove you actually went to Montana State? Post your Student ID#, your dorm roommate's phone number, and your place in line at graduation. I don't know anyone who graduated in Microbiology from MSU. None of my friends got that degree and none of my friend's friends. I don't remember seeing the Microbiology classroom in Reid Hall. None of this adds up. Until then all you have proven is that the DEEP STATE is willing to infiltrate FCS football chatrooms to spread lies, manipulate REAL data, and kill our economy.

Did you know that 95% of all cars use seat belts that were manufactured in CHINA!!!! Next time you buckle up remember to pull that Communist Lapbelt really tight and place that Socialist shoulder strap just right because you've just given away all of your freedoms and our blue collar jobs you selfish Commies!

Red White, Blue and Gold. Freedom and Football favor the bold

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:04 pm

Yes absolutely a good thing that treatments are improving and helping to save some of the critically ill. But even with improved treatments our deaths have been increasing since the end of June. For information go to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/. If you click on the USA and scroll down there is all the information you could want.
Hope this helps.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:07 pm

Ha,Ha ameriCATS. I can hardly remember my name at this age. Yep there are some real nut jobs running around out there.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:21 pm

LCH wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:04 pm
Yes absolutely a good thing that treatments are improving and helping to save some of the critically ill. But even with improved treatments our deaths have been increasing since the end of June. For information go to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/. If you click on the USA and scroll down there is all the information you could want.
Hope this helps.
You lost me with your claim the death rate and overall deaths is increasing. At the peak of this in April, we saw 2700 deaths in a day. I’m June and July we have seen daily death counts as low as 260. It was very rare all through June and July (almost non existent) to see s daily death rate over 1000. Given the increase in cases this 100% has driven the death rate well below the original 3.4% they saw in the beginning. Most experts say it’s well under 1% now with the probability being a half percent. That’s getting very close to flu like mortality and my guess as we see more cases and less deaths (the trend now for at least a month) that the death rate will fall under a half percent. Then we freaked out over something 99.5% if people survive. You’ll have to explain to me where you see a rising death rate.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:38 pm

@coochorama42 absolutely killing this thread.

GO CATS GO!!!

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:51 pm

I didn't say death rates were increasing, I said since the end of June daily deaths have been increasing. See the site I posted for the actual numbers. You are correct that in June we had our lowest numbers of deaths which corresponded with the lowest rates of infection, most likely due to the lock down measures implemented in many states. I don't want to have to go back to the restrictions but people have to start respecting this virus.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:02 pm

Want to watch football in person this fall. Follow coaches advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVlMcxk43-8

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:18 pm

LCH wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:51 pm
I didn't say death rates were increasing, I said since the end of June daily deaths have been increasing. See the site I posted for the actual numbers. You are correct that in June we had our lowest numbers of deaths which corresponded with the lowest rates of infection, most likely due to the lock down measures implemented in many states. I don't want to have to go back to the restrictions but people have to start respecting this virus.
It's strange...seems like the Venn diagram of people who really want to have things like bars open, fall football, kids in school, etc...are the EXACT same group of people who spread easily disproven lies and propaganda downplaying the severity of the virus.

Literally NOBODY wants lockdowns. But there's a weird segment of the population that is fighting tooth and nail to ensure that the rest of the country follows the disasters in Sweden and Florida. Its gotten to the point that I'm pretty convinced that nothing is going to convince them until things hit locally.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:22 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:30 pm
Thank you for all the work you're doing to help fight this pandemic. Remember that there are people out there who are still socially isolated, wearing masks, and listening to the advice of the many great scientists, doctors, nurses, engineers, etc. that are on the front lines fighting this virus.

I think some people are desperate to be right no matter the cost. With the POTUS down in the polls so deep nationwide (up to 15 percent nationwide in a latest ABC NEWS poll, and by 9 percent on average over all recent polls) and in critical swing states (Florida, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Nevada all show Biden with huge (6-8%) leads; Ohio, Arizona, North Carolina have Biden leading but within the margin of error; and Texas, Georgia, and Iowa all have Trump up by less than 1%) some people are fighting the only way they know how: they are acting out. They don't understand why the rest of America doesn't see the world the way they do and they are afraid they are going to lose the person that speaks to them. It is sad to me that they are choosing to do so by risking all of our health and economic well-being by going about their lives as per usual just so they don't have to admit that they might not be right.

The truth is that people are scared. Did you see the response of Papa when I told him of the two family members my wife and I lost? He threw a temper-tantrum. He cannot acknowledge this truth because if he does, he has to admit that this virus is real and it is very, very deadly. I mean, if all 143k dead were from rural Montana, maybe they would care or understand. Instead, since many are from the coasts - and are likely mouth-breathing liberals - they are alright with the dead. Better than the economy, right? Why is it that when facts are presented - these are real numbers from real sources mind you - it feels like they are always countered with excuses? A 3.7% fatality rate? Well, that doesn't take into account asymptomatic carriers. Increasing case numbers? Well, that's because we're testing more. It's time for everyone to admit that you don't know everything. I certainly don't! I just know that this thing is bigger than me and that the best doctors and scientists in the world are telling us to socially distance and wear masks. Just do it! The sooner you do, the quicker life gets back to normal. The reason we are still in the middle of a pandemic while much of Asia and Europe are experiencing normalcy is that they did a better job of isolating and wearing masks (except Sweden, who killed lots of people needlessly with an insane "herd immunity" theory that ended up not being applicable with this virus). Period. End of story. No country is perfect and they are likely going to see a second wave, but they did better than us because they had an authority figure that people listened to. If you wanted football so desperately this fall, you all should have followed the advice of the scientists and doctors in March and April like some of us did. The prolonged nature of this social isolation/mask mandate is because of your inability to do something for the common good.

Finally, if you are worried about the economic recovery (I am), contact your representatives and senators and demand income during the pandemic and follow the rules so we can all get back to work as soon as possible.
LCH wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:29 pm

I dunno man, these numbers look pretty promising to me...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/sweden/

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: