Covid hits MSU athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:38 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:21 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:45 am
So now that the masks are "mandatory", we see health places across the state cancel testing they had planned for asymptomatic individuals.

Now we'll definitely see the amount of positive cases decrease lol. It's totally just a coincidence though.
Is there a link for this?
Several things come up if you just Google it. But here's a couple for you.
As a result, the state may cancel some of its surveillance testing, Bullock said.
https://www.ktvq.com/news/coronavirus/u ... as-working

Great Falls Benefis is done with asymptomatic testing:
https://www.kulr8.com/coronavirus/benef ... c7956.html

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:21 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:38 pm
wbtfg wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
So now that the masks are "mandatory", we see health places across the state cancel testing they had planned for asymptomatic individuals.

Now we'll definitely see the amount of positive cases decrease lol. It's totally just a coincidence though.
As a result, the state may cancel some of its surveillance testing, Bullock said.

Thanks. I had seen a couple references but hadn’t seen the full stories for context. 👍

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:32 pm

91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

The story says that asymptomatic testing is stopping because of the increased lag time from the lab in Denver. Now a two week turn around time isn’t effective for quarantining and stopping the spread.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:49 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:32 pm
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

The story says that asymptomatic testing is stopping because of the increased lag time from the lab in Denver. Now a two week turn around time isn’t effective for quarantining and stopping the spread.
Yep and that's reasonable. But it's stopping on the same day that Bullock ordered the mask mandate. So positive cases are going to drop simply based on reduced testing, but it's going to look like it was the masks. Or at least it's going to make it impossible to tell how much difference the mask mandate made.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:58 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:49 pm
wbtfg wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Yep and that's reasonable. But it's stopping on the same day that Bullock ordered the mask mandate. So positive cases are going to drop simply based on reduced testing, but it's going to look like it was the masks. Or at least it's going to make it impossible to tell how much difference the mask mandate made.
Per usual, people will see what they want to see. Haha

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:04 pm

The KTVQ article explains it pretty well. Are local news stations considered MSM?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:08 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:58 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:49 pm
wbtfg wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Per usual, people will see what they want to see. Haha
That's truth. At least the numbers should come down which keeps us from further shut downs.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:51 am

Also reducing testing in Helena.
If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd probably smell something a little fishy with all this.
Good thing I'm not...
https://www.ktvh.com/news/pureview-canc ... ough-tests

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:02 am

If Bullock is putting out the mask mandate due to prior knowledge of testing backlogs it appears to be a bad plan. Not saying he did that, but it seems like a bad idea. It’ll be interesting to see if someone from Pureview or some other testing facility comes forward as a whistleblower. I know I would.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:56 am

Not sure why its a bad idea. With a testing backlog of two weeks, testing doesn't perform a preventative function. Masks will. I try not to speculate on others intentions.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:09 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:56 am
Not sure why its a bad idea. With a testing backlog of two weeks, testing doesn't perform a preventative function. Masks will. I try not to speculate on others intentions.
I agree. If a person with no symptoms gets tested and results are at least 4 or 5 days away (as it was in Helena a month ago when I was tested) a person would have to quarantine until he gets the results. After that if he goes out and enjoys himself to the bars and such he could catch it the next day and the test would be wasted. Better to wear a mask to decrease the chance of getting infected and reduce your appearances in crowded scenes (if you want to avoid the virus.)

2024 Resume dominance

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:02 am
If Bullock is putting out the mask mandate due to prior knowledge of testing backlogs it appears to be a bad plan. Not saying he did that, but it seems like a bad idea. It’ll be interesting to see if someone from Pureview or some other testing facility comes forward as a whistleblower. I know I would.
I was being a bit facetious with the conspiracy stuff, I'm sure it's not. But it sucks we're not gonna be able to tell whether the mask mandate was effective or not, and to what degree, when the numbers go down. Because they will go down now with reduced testing and masking. It's just going to continue the divisiveness, I think. The right will say of course it went down, we reduced our testing, masks are the devil. The left will say masks were the key the whole time, we all knew it last January, will blame Trump for not doing a national mask mandate, and praise Bullock for doing one 4 months in.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:10 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
I was being a bit facetious with the conspiracy stuff, I'm sure it's not. But it sucks we're not gonna be able to tell whether the mask mandate was effective or not, and to what degree, when the numbers go down. Because they will go down now with reduced testing and masking. It's just going to continue the divisiveness, I think. The right will say of course it went down, we reduced our testing, masks are the devil. The left will say masks were the key the whole time, we all knew it last January, will blame Trump for not doing a national mask mandate, and praise Bullock for doing one 4 months in.
Thats only partly true. The positive test rate of asymptomatic people is (for obvious reasons) really low. I'd love to see if someone has numbers on how low, but I can't find it quickly. At any rate, if the positivity rate of symptomatic & at risk testing drops, we will have a pretty high confidence that the mask mandate worked. If the symptomatic positivity rate keeps going up, we will have a pretty good idea that the mask mandate didn't work.

Ending the out of state testing is a bummer, but it doesn't mean that our current testing percentages are useless by a long stretch.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:47 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:10 pm
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Thats only partly true. The positive test rate of asymptomatic people is (for obvious reasons) really low. I'd love to see if someone has numbers on how low, but I can't find it quickly. At any rate, if the positivity rate of symptomatic & at risk testing drops, we will have a pretty high confidence that the mask mandate worked. If the symptomatic positivity rate keeps going up, we will have a pretty good idea that the mask mandate didn't work.

Ending the out of state testing is a bummer, but it doesn't mean that our current testing percentages are useless by a long stretch.
Here's the problem with all the discussions relative data (at least from a professional perspective). Until the data has been peer reviewed and the journal editors have approved the large volumes of studies and have actually replicated the tests, all you have is a collection of useless datum. That is to say, where we are now is similar to presenting a scientific study to a group of journalists who, in all probability, haven't taken Stat 101 and could no more explain basic stat vocabulary let alone read the various and assorted statistical measures being applied to said tests than frequent online chatroom posters. Hell, what poster here, in all honesty, can explain the differences between a z-test, t-test, chi-square, whether the experiementer ought to run a one-tailed or two-tailed anova. In fact, I'd venture very few could actually look at the tests and correctly read the findings and agree whether or not the fu*cking test is even statistically significant. Christ man...

All the reporters are doing is looking at the datum. What is the starting point? They don't have a clue as to what they are even talking about as they don't even have access to the actual data and even if they did, they can't read it let alone explain it in layman's terms.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:55 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:47 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:10 pm
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Here's the problem with all the discussions relative data (at least from a professional perspective). Until the data has been peer reviewed and the journal editors have approved the large volumes of studies and have actually replicated the tests, all you have is a collection of useless datum. That is to say, where we are now is similar to presenting a scientific study to a group of journalists who, in all probability, haven't taken Stat 101 and could no more explain basic stat vocabulary let alone read the various and assorted statistical measures being applied to said tests than frequent online chatroom posters. Hell, what poster here, in all honesty, can explain the differences between a z-test, t-test, chi-square, whether the experiementer ought to run a one-tailed or two-tailed anova. In fact, I'd venture very few could actually look at the tests and correctly read the findings and agree whether or not the fu*cking test is even statistically significant. Christ man...

All the reporters are doing is looking at the datum. What is the starting point? They don't have a clue as to what they are even talking about as they don't even have access to the actual data and even if they did, they can't read it let alone explain it in layman's terms.
Oh man, flashbacks to my Stat classes at MSU. I remember all the words you said, but what they mean exactly... :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:55 am
Oh man, flashbacks to my Stat classes at MSU. I remember all the words you said, but what they mean exactly... :lol:
I still have nightmares from Stats 217! :-k

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:30 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 am
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:55 am
I still have nightmares from Stats 217! :-k
Same....with professor Miguel Paz. I still remember him 20+ years later. haha

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:39 am

bobcat99 wrote:

That’s exactly what’s happening. MT doesn’t have the capacity to test asymptotic individuals as that was taking 7-10 days for results, if not longer. Now they are only testing symptomatic individuals moving forward. Our testing in the last few days, because of this, has been cut in half. Funny that the positive cases have also been cut in half. But let the masses tell ya “masks are working” :roll:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:50 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:39 am
bobcat99 wrote:

That’s exactly what’s happening. MT doesn’t have the capacity to test asymptotic individuals as that was taking 7-10 days for results, if not longer. Now they are only testing symptomatic individuals moving forward. Our testing in the last few days, because of this, has been cut in half. Funny that the positive cases have also been cut in half. But let the masses tell ya “masks are working” :roll:
Yep, agree. First headline I saw in the GF Trib this morning said COVID cases in Montana drop. I was thinking, here we go... this is going to talk about how the mask mandate caused the drop. However, kudos to the Trib IMO. Looked like a good, unbiased article just reporting the numbers, they talked about the decrease in testing, etc... which was refreshing to see. Also, the article went on to say the below, which I wish ALL COVID articles would reiterate, every time.

"For most people, the coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia and death. The vast majority of people recover."

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:52 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:39 am
bobcat99 wrote:

88 cases in 5000 and change tests today. That's not a drop in testing, at least not yet. I believe testing of asymptomatic people will continue, but only as a part of contact tracing and not general surveillance. The mask mandate is likely to help some in crowded places. Plus, why not do it? The worst that could happen is it isn't effective, not like it'll sicken us, harm us our really adversely affect us at all. If it can help, why wouldn't we want them mandated for a time? Might avoid another shutdown. I maintain that were this state to try to pass a mandatory seat belt law today it couldn't happen. Basic public safety and health is taking a backseat to "individual liberty" when in reality no one's rights or liberties are affected in the least by a mask mandate. Might save some of your fellow members of society, though.