Bobcat football

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Bobcat football

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:31 am

Let’s talk about bobcat football... something... anything?... if I have to read one more thread or post about people’s political and/or covid viewpoints, I’m gonna lose it. Ha

Just some ideas for discussion topics:
-TA
-defense
-offense
-how many yards will a healthy ifanse have?
-breakout players on offense and D.
-new coaches
-old games
-hell, I would be happy to start up another Garrett Marino discussion at this point, ha.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcat football

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:00 am

You're the stat collector. How many yards do you think Ifanse will have the next time he plays 10+ games in a season?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:01 am

Fine!

Best quarterback. Ever. Paul Dennehy
Best running back. Don Haas
Best tight end. Joe Bignell
Best wide receiver. Sam McCullum
Best kicker. Jan Stenerud
Best Offensive Lineman. Ken Verlanic or Jon Bortchardt

Best defensive lineman. Bill Kollar
Best linebacker. Ron Ueland
Best secondary player. Ever. Ron Muri

Most critical play in Cat-Griz by most famous Cat player? Terry Brown in 68.

Best coach. Ever. Sonny Holland

Best offensive coordinator. Ever. Don Christensen

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:33 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:31 am
Let’s talk about bobcat football... something... anything?... if I have to read one more thread or post about people’s political and/or covid viewpoints, I’m gonna lose it. Ha

-TA
-defense
-offense
-new coaches
-old games
-hell, I would be happy to start up another Garrett Marino discussion at this point, ha.
Speaking of TA. Hypothetically let's say the flat out cancel the season. We already knew he wasn't playing at all (most likely) in 2020. Looking at 2021, let's say he's still healing up and getting to 100%... and we reserve him for just four games, likely Cat Griz and maybe playoffs, and he comes back and plays his entire Sr. season in 2022. Is that doable?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:48 am

If the NCAA ends up cancelling the season or all the conferences cancel, will that provide an additional year of eligibility for the student athletes?

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:52 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:48 am
If the NCAA ends up cancelling the season or all the conferences cancel, will that provide an additional year of eligibility for the student athletes?
I've been wondering the same thing. They did for the spring sports. It sure seems like there would be a glut of athletes and scholarships with no one leaving and another recruiting class coming in. It will definitely be interesting to see how it all plays out.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:02 am

catatac wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:33 am
mslacatfan wrote:

-TA
-defense
-offense
-new coaches
-old games
Speaking of TA. Hypothetically let's say the flat out cancel the season. We already knew he wasn't playing at all (most likely) in 2020. Looking at 2021, let's say he's still healing up and getting to 100%... and we reserve him for just four games, likely Cat Griz and maybe playoffs, and he comes back and plays his entire Sr. season in 2022. Is that doable?
I say hell no. He is going to play in the NFL. No way he or Choate play him only 4 games to have him come back again. 2021 will be his last season as a Bobcat regardless of what happens this season.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:06 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:48 am
What about all the graduate transfers!?!?!?!

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:02 am
catatac wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

-TA
-defense
-offense
-new coaches
-old games
I say hell no. He is going to play in the NFL. No way he or Choate play him only 4 games to have him come back again. 2021 will be his last season as a Bobcat regardless of what happens this season.
I think his chances of getting drafted or getting a roster spot as an UDFA increase if he stays at MSU through the 2022 season but I doubt he stays that long. He probably needs more than one full season as a LB to get a real shot in the NFL just based on the current scouting environment. I could see the Pats picking him up to play fullback though.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:42 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

-TA
-defense
-offense
-new coaches
-old games
I think his chances of getting drafted or getting a roster spot as an UDFA increase if he stays at MSU through the 2022 season but I doubt he stays that long. He probably needs more than one full season as a LB to get a real shot in the NFL just based on the current scouting environment. I could see the Pats picking him up to play fullback though.
If Taysom Hill got drafted, TA will get drafted. Hill was a mediocre QB with amazing athleticism. TA can literally play anywhere on the field other than OL and maybe DT and play it very well. His speed alone will have teams wanting him for any position.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:44 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:00 am
You're the stat collector. How many yards do you think Ifanse will have the next time he plays 10+ games in a season?

I forget which interview it was, but choate more or less said the following toward the end of last season (when ifanse was killin it in the playoffs)- had Ifanse been healthy all year, with the OL that was in place, he would have had one the best seasons of any RB in the history of the big sky.
Last edited by mslacatfan on Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:17 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:42 am
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

-TA
-defense
-offense
-new coaches
-old games
If Taysom Hill got drafted, TA will get drafted. Hill was a mediocre QB with amazing athleticism. TA can literally play anywhere on the field other than OL and maybe DT and play it very well. His speed alone will have teams wanting him for any position.
I think TA is better than TH at any position but Hill went to BYU and had some high profile TV games. Exposure is the biggest hurdle for Troy which is why I think he needs to have a huge (healthy) year when he comes back and be so dominant that his talent overcomes that. If he's dead set on playing LB then we need to limit him to 5 offensive plays per game so that he can put all his focus on defense. The further away from COVID Troy's last year is the better as more scouts will be at actual games and get a chance to see him.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:03 pm

If Ifanse had a healthy season, I could see him surpassing 1500 yards before the playoffs. Problem is, he runs so hard I can't see him getting through a season without injury.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:40 pm

Here’s a question

Does anyone think that we would get to a point where we would get a four or five star recruit directly out of high school?

Choate says it’s his job to recruit over the guys on the team.......we have some really really good, developing players that continue to improve. As the depth grows would a 4 star or higher recruit be the only freshman that would see the field?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:52 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:40 pm
Here’s a question

Does anyone think that we would get to a point where we would get a four or five star recruit directly out of high school?

Choate says it’s his job to recruit over the guys on the team.......we have some really really good, developing players that continue to improve. As the depth grows would a 4 star or higher recruit be the only freshman that would see the field?
I think we could land a 4* if we keep making the semifinals and moving on to the championship game a couple times (and also stop getting blown out by NDSU). We're not getting a 5* at the FCS level until we reach NDSU-level dominance and even then it's unlikely.

Freshmen will always see the field with the 4 game redshirt rule but I could see us getting to the point where every freshman redshirts.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:16 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:52 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:40 pm
Here’s a question

I think we could land a 4* if we keep making the semifinals and moving on to the championship game a couple times (and also stop getting blown out by NDSU). We're not getting a 5* at the FCS level until we reach NDSU-level dominance and even then it's unlikely.

Freshmen will always see the field with the 4 game redshirt rule but I could see us getting to the point where every freshman redshirts.

Good point on the playing 4 games. I believe Princeton got a 4 or 5 star QB a couple seasons back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:47 am

Don't know if anyone else saw this but David Pollock from ESPN said he likes the idea of moving the FCS permanently to the spring so there is football year round. Possibly the dumbest thing I've heard about football, ever.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:57 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:47 am
Don't know if anyone else saw this but David Pollock from ESPN said he likes the idea of moving the FCS permanently to the spring so there is football year round. Possibly the dumbest thing I've heard about football, ever.
Sounds like a great way to make sure no more FCS players take NFL jobs from FBS players. Leave it to a former power 5 player and ESPN personality to bring this up.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:06 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:57 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sounds like a great way to make sure no more FCS players take NFL jobs from FBS players. Leave it to a former power 5 player and ESPN personality to bring this up.
Ha I knew you would respond :lol:

I agree though. I have no idea what he's thinking.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:12 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:06 am
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:57 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Ha I knew you would respond :lol:

I agree though. I have no idea what he's thinking.
:lol:

This is my hill to die on!