Covid hits MSU athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:51 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:29 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:27 pm
So if I drink and drive because I don’t care if I kill myself or anyone else, I’m not selfish?
So now we're comparing things that are illegal to a virus and it's possible vaccine? Yikes
Yes. You can compare drunk driving to not wearing masks. You can not compare drunk driving deaths to Covid deaths. It is irresponsible.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:54 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:51 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:29 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:27 pm
So if I drink and drive because I don’t care if I kill myself or anyone else, I’m not selfish?
So now we're comparing things that are illegal to a virus and it's possible vaccine? Yikes
Yes. You can compare drunk driving to not wearing masks. You can not compare drunk driving deaths to Covid deaths. It is irresponsible.
I don’t think either are shellfish. And I would know cuz I’ve been at the lake all day.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:25 am

The thing is we all want the same thing. We all want to get back to normal, we all want to get this under control, we all want to be back in Bobcat stadium watching Bobcat football.

Even if you don't buy the saving lives bit, buy this - until the numbers start decreasing, the economy will stay the way it is, or backslide if numbers go up. You can sit here and tell us why masks don't work until you're blue in the face, but until the numbers start dropping governing entities will make decisions based on those numbers.

Do whatever you can to prevent the spread of this virus, otherwise we'll be stuck in this boat longer.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:25 am
The thing is we all want the same thing. We all want to get back to normal, we all want to get this under control, we all want to be back in Bobcat stadium watching Bobcat football.

Even if you don't buy the saving lives bit, buy this - until the numbers start decreasing, the economy will stay the way it is, or backslide if numbers go up. You can sit here and tell us why masks don't work until you're blue in the face, but until the numbers start dropping governing entities will make decisions based on those numbers.

Do whatever you can to prevent the spread of this virus, otherwise we'll be stuck in this boat longer.
This. Times a million. Wear a G.D. mask. What's the worst that could happen if you do? No worse than status quo. The best that can happen is it helps bring this disease back under control. Might help a small business stay open. Good posting, Celtic.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:41 am

I remember all the protests, as a kid, about the "No shirts, no shoes, no service" requirements.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:41 am
I remember all the protests, as a kid, about the "No shirts, no shoes, no service" requirements.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:29 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 am
CelticCat wrote:

This. Times a million. Wear a G.D. mask. What's the worst that could happen if you do? No worse than status quo. The best that can happen is it helps bring this disease back under control. Might help a small business stay open. Good posting, Celtic.
I heard a good conspiracy theory the other day about masks. They can actually kill you due to carbon monoxide poisoning so we shouldn't be required to wear them since it is just trading one issue for another. :lol:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:43 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:29 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I heard a good conspiracy theory the other day about masks. They can actually kill you due to carbon monoxide poisoning so we shouldn't be required to wear them since it is just trading one issue for another. :lol:
That's a bit extreme IMO but there is a lot of evidence out there and a lot of examples why wearing masks everywhere is a bad idea and potentially unhealthy. Also, as someone else posted out on another thread, how many people are actually doing the mask thing properly, i.e. in a way that it can be proven to help prevent the spread of the virus? I'd say less than 1%. If all the pro maskers out there are disinfecting the mask after every use (Not just throwing it in the washing machine... because that doesn't kill the virus), then good for you. Not happening.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:55 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:43 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

That's a bit extreme IMO but there is a lot of evidence out there and a lot of examples why wearing masks everywhere is a bad idea and potentially unhealthy. Also, as someone else posted out on another thread, how many people are actually doing the mask thing properly, i.e. in a way that it can be proven to help prevent the spread of the virus? I'd say less than 1%. If all the pro maskers out there are disinfecting the mask after every use (Not just throwing it in the washing machine... because that doesn't kill the virus), then good for you. Not happening.
Physical distancing and washing hands is still the best way to prevent disease spread. If that's not possible, then a properly used mask is more effective than nothing at all.

The problem is when people think they can use a mask in lieu of distancing and hyper-vigilant hand hygiene.

In my opinion, we as Americans have come to a point where we aren't willing to distance, our hand hygiene sucks, and we aren't doing the mask thing very well. We aren't showing great personal discipline, which is very on brand for us Americans considering our bathroom scale readings.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:12 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:55 pm
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Physical distancing and washing hands is still the best way to prevent disease spread. If that's not possible, then a properly used mask is more effective than nothing at all.

The problem is when people think they can use a mask in lieu of distancing and hyper-vigilant hand hygiene.

In my opinion, we as Americans have come to a point where we aren't willing to distance, our hand hygiene sucks, and we aren't doing the mask thing very well. We aren't showing great personal discipline, which is very on brand for us Americans considering our bathroom scale readings.
I wonder if part of the problem is that the baseline level of hygiene in the US is good enough to defeat the less dangerous viruses that impact different parts of the world so we never have to change our habits. When something extreme comes along we don't adapt well because we haven't had to adapt in 100 years while in much of Asia they get hit with these bugs every 5 years so they're conditioned to take additional measures when necessary. There's also the collectivist vs individualist cultural aspect (which happens to be playing out within the US as well).

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:15 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:12 pm
wbtfg wrote:
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I wonder if part of the problem is that the baseline level of hygiene in the US is good enough to defeat the less dangerous viruses that impact different parts of the world so we never have to change our habits. When something extreme comes along we don't adapt well because we haven't had to adapt in 100 years while in much of Asia they get hit with these bugs every 5 years so they're conditioned to take additional measures when necessary. There's also the collectivist vs individualist cultural aspect (which happens to be playing out within the US as well).
Maybe, however, in my option, we've evolved (or devolved) to be a very selfish group of people in search of instant gratification without considering long term consequences.

Hence our country's skyrocketing consumer debt, bodyweight, and infection numbers.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:13 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:15 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:12 pm
wbtfg wrote:
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Maybe, however, in my option, we've evolved (or devolved) to be a very selfish group of people in search of instant gratification without considering long term consequences.

Hence our country's skyrocketing consumer debt, bodyweight, and infection numbers.
Hey now, I resemble one of those things.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:11 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:41 am
Well done. Both of you. :lol:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:42 pm

CelticCat wrote:

=D^ =D^ =D^

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:45 am

So now that the masks are "mandatory", we see health places across the state cancel testing they had planned for asymptomatic individuals.

Now we'll definitely see the amount of positive cases decrease lol. It's totally just a coincidence though.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:49 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:45 am
So now that the masks are "mandatory", we see health places across the state cancel testing they had planned for asymptomatic individuals.

Now we'll definitely see the amount of positive cases decrease lol. It's totally just a coincidence though.
We have a hospital report a 98% positive while the health depart says NO, it is 9%. Then another hospital says there is a 78% positive rate but the health department disagrees and say it is actually 6%.

Also seeing reports from people saying a friend/friends/family have gone in for tests, stood in line longer than they wanted and left only to get letters saying they were positive.

https://uncoverdc.com/2020/07/17/cdc-po ... -pandemic/

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:16 pm

Anecdotes are interesting but not determinate. Thankfully science doesn't rely solely on them.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:21 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:45 am

Is there a link for this?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:47 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:16 pm
Anecdotes are interesting but not determinate. Thankfully science doesn't rely solely on them.
Correct but it does make one wonder who is tossing the dart at the board to come up with a number. And science is far from exact as it continually changes with research.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 pm

I heard Placebo works to cure most anything.

toM StUber