Covid hits MSU athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:17 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:13 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:21 pm
I just saw the R Bar is closing down for a few days due to exposure/contact tracing.
Smart. Short term loss, potential long term gain. That move is going to get a lot of attention from other businesses around Bozeman.
More to follow.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:22 pm

onceacat wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:46 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:56 am
onceacat wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:49 am
wapiti wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:25 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:52 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:37 pm
Covid-19 is much more widespread than estimated and was in the U.S. much earlier than we knew.
You obviously are not smarter than me! \:D/

I was just a couple weeks ago on this very board that not a single person in the world smarter than myself believes it's possible this virus is more widespread than we know about, or that it's possible it's been around longer than we know about!

How does it feel to know that at the very best....you're only AS smart as I am?! :-$
Have you been drinking?
Dude, you were claiming that some very smart people were claiming that 80x more people had contracted Covid & that it had been around since the fall.

Not that more people had it earlier than we thought.

Imagine if the Grizzlies got to move the goalposts the way you just did. Football would really suck.
Unfortunately, you are misremembering. Which is fine, I've had a lot of posts on the topic so it's fair. But little comments like "moving goalposts" look pretty silly if you are incorrect on what I said.

On this very thread, page #5, I ASKED MSU1 what he thought about the idea that the virus has infected up to 80x more people than we know about. He said he felt 80x was probably the high end, but that he thought there is probably more infected than we know about. I told him I agree.

Here is what I said on the thread, MSU Plans For Games thread. It's on page #4 if you'd like to fact check this...

Just for my own sake, when discussing deaths from Covid, will it always be the “last three months”? Because what I’m reading is we’re about to enter our 7th month next week of dealing with this thing. And that’s just cases we know about. Some people far smarter than myself are now speculating that it’s been around going back to last fall. Regardless, in the grand scheme of life, with people being born every day and people dying of a plethora of reasons every day, 484,000 deaths in 6 months that we know about shouldn’t shut down the world. Especially considering there’s almost 8 billion people on this planet. And worldwide 9.5 million have been tested positive. Who knows how many more there may be?

It was to this comment I got the response, from you....

Its the leading cause of death in the US. And trust me, nobody smarter than you is seriously suggesting that its been around longer

You then backtracked and said maybe smart people with an agenda spreading misinformation may say it's been around longer.

So unfortunately, you're talking about two different things here. I have no issue disagreeing on this topic. It seems to be one where you're on one side or another. But if you're going to try and call a person out for his opinions, the least you could do is get your facts straight.

But yes, I maintain it's possible this virus has been around longer and infected more than we currently know about. You don't think that's possible or that anyone else (without an agenda of course) believes this. And that's A-OK!!! :thumbup:
Maybe it wasn’t you who said “some very smart people are saying that there are 80x the infections out there.”

If that wasn’t you, I apologize. That’s as patently absurd as saying that a Covid has been circulating here since last fall.
Well I shared with you the entire thread of conversation. So take that as you may.

If the idea that this virus may have been around in our country as early as December 21, (I think that’s the last day of fall) is “patently absurd”.....then you got me pegged. I feel there’s a good chance it was, but I guess time will tell. It just seems like such a short window to be as confident and brash about it as you are. :-k

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:38 pm

onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
wapiti wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
wapiti wrote:
Covid-19 is much more widespread than estimated and was in the U.S. much earlier than we knew.

I was just a couple weeks ago on this very board that not a single person in the world smarter than myself believes it's possible this virus is more widespread than we know about, or that it's possible it's been around longer than we know about!

How does it feel to know that at the very best....you're only AS smart as I am?! :-$
Have you been drinking?
Dude, you were claiming that some very smart people were claiming that 80x more people had contracted Covid & that it had been around since the fall.

Imagine if the Grizzlies got to move the goalposts the way you just did. Football would really suck.
Unfortunately, you are misremembering. Which is fine, I've had a lot of posts on the topic so it's fair. But little comments like "moving goalposts" look pretty silly if you are incorrect on what I said.

On this very thread, page #5, I ASKED MSU1 what he thought about the idea that the virus has infected up to 80x more people than we know about. He said he felt 80x was probably the high end, but that he thought there is probably more infected than we know about. I told him I agree.

Here is what I said on the thread, MSU Plans For Games thread. It's on page #4 if you'd like to fact check this...

Just for my own sake, when discussing deaths from Covid, will it always be the “last three months”? Because what I’m reading is we’re about to enter our 7th month next week of dealing with this thing. And that’s just cases we know about. Some people far smarter than myself are now speculating that it’s been around going back to last fall. Regardless, in the grand scheme of life, with people being born every day and people dying of a plethora of reasons every day, 484,000 deaths in 6 months that we know about shouldn’t shut down the world. Especially considering there’s almost 8 billion people on this planet. And worldwide 9.5 million have been tested positive. Who knows how many more there may be?

Its the leading cause of death in the US. And trust me, nobody smarter than you is seriously suggesting that its been around longer

You then backtracked and said maybe smart people with an agenda spreading misinformation may say it's been around longer.

So unfortunately, you're talking about two different things here. I have no issue disagreeing on this topic. It seems to be one where you're on one side or another. But if you're going to try and call a person out for his opinions, the least you could do is get your facts straight.

But yes, I maintain it's possible this virus has been around longer and infected more than we currently know about. You don't think that's possible or that anyone else (without an agenda of course) believes this. And that's A-OK!!! :thumbup:
Maybe it wasn’t you who said “some very smart people are saying that there are 80x the infections out there.”

If that wasn’t you, I apologize. That’s as patently absurd as saying that a Covid has been circulating here since last fall.
If by "around in the fall" you mean we could find cases by mid-December, I'm willing to say that there's a reasonable chance. I've never considered mid-December "the Fall". But, yeah, since the first documented case in China was in mid-November, its certainly possible that the first cases made their way here by the end of technical fall.

Of course, I've never heard a single person refer to December as "fall", but hey! Maybe we don't disagree after all.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:57 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:13 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:21 pm
I just saw the R Bar is closing down for a few days due to exposure/contact tracing.
Smart. Short term loss, potential long term gain. That move is going to get a lot of attention from other businesses around Bozeman.
I think this is the new norm. Cases spike, response and closures until moderation. Living in Europe where the continent is basically open but monitoring new cases closely, while see the U.S. explode to daily highs in cases is pretty amazing. Vigilance is the best approach...while opening and being aware and doing the right thing socially.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:29 am

onceacat wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:38 pm
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
wapiti wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
wapiti wrote:

Have you been drinking?

If by "around in the fall" you mean we could find cases by mid-December, I'm willing to say that there's a reasonable chance. I've never considered mid-December "the Fall". But, yeah, since the first documented case in China was in mid-November, its certainly possible that the first cases made their way here by the end of technical fall.

Of course, I've never heard a single person refer to December as "fall", but hey! Maybe we don't disagree after all.
I assume you were talking to me, despite quoting yourself.

We’re likely in agreement. I don’t make the rules. I’m not a scientist saying he thinks this virus has been around longer than we think. I’m not the guy making up the seasons. When summer ends, fall starts, winter begins etc. No idea.

My personal view is this “pandemic” has been in the states longer than we know. Others have suggested it. I’m dumb and they’re smart.

I can’t help when fall is. If I read an article, and it says the virus MAY have been in the states since fall... I can see that being a possibility.

Glad you can now too! :wink:

Headed to the lake tomorrow so better go to bed. Appreciate the response!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:14 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:29 am

Headed to the lake tomorrow so better go to bed. Appreciate the response!
Hope you're not on a lake anywhere near Helena. It's raining cats and dogs with a pretty stiff breeze. Supposed to let up later today though and be a nice weekend.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:09 am

An acquaintance of mine here in Vegas had a bad case of Pneumonia back in January. Her doctors later determined it was COVID-19. It’s been in the US a lot longer than we’ve been led to believe.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:50 am

For all the skyrocketing cases, there are still only 21 people in the entire state who are hospitalized.

https://montana.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Ma ... 2103421d4b

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:01 am

Cledus wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:50 am
For all the skyrocketing cases, there are still only 21 people in the entire state who are hospitalized.

That’s good news. If we can maintain or improve on that number we should, at a minimum, be able to have an all Montana colleges schedule. It ain’t great, but it’s something.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:58 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:01 am
Cledus wrote:

That’s good news. If we can maintain or improve on that number we should, at a minimum, be able to have an all Montana colleges schedule. It ain’t great, but it’s something.
Yes, no matter how you look at it, it is FOOTBALL.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Steve Steverson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Steve Steverson » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Is anyone in charge of Montana colleges actually talking about an only Montana schedule?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Steve Steverson wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:29 pm
Is anyone in charge of Montana colleges actually talking about an only Montana schedule?
Choate has joked about it a couple times.

The Frontier schools wouldn't play for free though, especially with the COVID prevention costs to deal with, so unless we can fill the stands to capacity to cover the costs I don't see it happening. And it's not like the Bobcats are going to play any away games (besides Missoula) in this scenario so that starts to get expensive to play a handful of games (instead of just one) that will be at best as competitive as Norfolk St, Wagner, Western Oregon, etc.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:16 pm

My only concern, regardless of the scenario, is that the bobcat players get the the biggest bang for their buck possible. Unless it's a full conference schedule during a typical fall season, fans in the stands or not, I hope the coaches redshirt every player having one available. They all can still participate in 4 games and retain their redshirt status. If a Montana schedule only, the coaches would be able to better evaluate their talent and better prioritize their needs. I guess you could call this a silver lining.

Using Isaiah Ifanse as an example, It would be a terrible waste of talent and eligibility to play him in more than 4 games in a Montana only schedule. Troy is another, but he is already benn redshirted. I believe Thomas that plays corner back is another.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:01 pm

Cat_gld wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:16 pm
My only concern, regardless of the scenario, is that the bobcat players get the the biggest bang for their buck possible. Unless it's a full conference schedule during a typical fall season, fans in the stands or not, I hope the coaches redshirt every player having one available. They all can still participate in 4 games and retain their redshirt status. If a Montana schedule only, the coaches would be able to better evaluate their talent and better prioritize their needs. I guess you could call this a silver lining.

Using Isaiah Ifanse as an example, It would be a terrible waste of talent and eligibility to play him in more than 4 games in a Montana only schedule. Troy is another, but he is already benn redshirted. I believe Thomas that plays corner back is another.
YES!!! I would think most all would want to return for a full, legitimate season.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:05 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:01 am
Cledus wrote:

Man I wish that was the case. And in my opinion is SHOULD be the case. But as I’ve watched this whole thing unfold, and seen how people react to the new cases, I’m pessimistic.

We’ll close down more businesses, maybe even go back a phase. Force everyone to wear masks for a few months. Have a couple deaths, a few hospitalizations, and more cases. We’ll once again get “ahead of the curve”. Then as we open businesses again, maybe even remove masks, we’ll be in the middle of “flu” season. Covid cases will go up, people will panic. We’ll fight about masks and who’s being selfish. And we’ll start all over again.

It’s frustrating. Would do anything for you to be right!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:45 am

Cat_gld wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but you can't just sit all your best players, what message does that send to the rest of the team?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:46 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:45 am
Cat_gld wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but you can't just sit all your best players, what message does that send to the rest of the team?
It also screws up your 2021 recruiting class if way more players take redshirt years in 2020 than had been expected to do so. Unfortunately, like our historically great women's basketball team whose season ended as they were about to play in the conference championship game, I think some great football players are going to have their careers end with a disrupted season, if there is one at all. But keeping them healthy and alive with a college degree from the best university in the state is the most important thing moving forward.

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:03 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:46 am
91catAlum wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:

It also screws up your 2021 recruiting class if way more players take redshirt years in 2020 than had been expected to do so. Unfortunately, like our historically great women's basketball team whose season ended as they were about to play in the conference championship game, I think some great football players are going to have their careers end with a disrupted season, if there is one at all. But keeping them healthy and alive with a college degree from the best university in the state is the most important thing moving forward.
Following a great 2019 season with a lot of high expectations, 2020 will be a bummer for players, coaches and fans. On the academic side, some will have difficulty finishing if public institutions are limited or shut down. For example, how doe an education major student teach if public schools aren't open for in-school teaching? Anyway, this fall is likely to be a difficult departure from the norm, so hope the coaches can make the best of it, whether it suits me or not.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:25 pm

Cat_gld wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:03 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:46 am
91catAlum wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:

Following a great 2019 season with a lot of high expectations, 2020 will be a bummer for players, coaches and fans. On the academic side, some will have difficulty finishing if public institutions are limited or shut down. For example, how doe an education major student teach if public schools aren't open for in-school teaching? Anyway, this fall is likely to be a difficult departure from the norm, so hope the coaches can make the best of it, whether it suits me or not.
Agree. As I've said many times in other threads, this thing goes far deeper than football and there are going to be devastating consequences for a long, long time, if not forever if the decision makers shut everything down.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:42 pm

There’s a meeting for Gallatin County at the Commons 7:00 AM Tuesday morning they are looking for public input, When it comes to masks