Sportswriter wants to change name of Masters

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Sportswriter wants to change name of Masters

Post by RickRund » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:47 am

Someone will always be offended by something... Stupidity has raised the bar...

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sportswriter wants to change name of Masters

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:58 am

I have a serious question for you - do you just wake up every day looking for things to be angry about? You post a lot on here about things that you don't like.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:07 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:58 am
I have a serious question for you - do you just wake up every day looking for things to be angry about? You post a lot on here about things that you don't like.
I always ask myself, does it even matter? The name of the major golf tournament in Augusta, Georgia makes absolutely no difference to me. They didn't allow blacks until 1990! Didn't allow women until 2012!!!!! I just don't give two shiznits about people like that. I have no sympathy for people that get upset about this.

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:16 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:07 am
CelticCat wrote:
I always ask myself, does it even matter? The name of the major golf tournament in Augusta, Georgia makes absolutely no difference to me. They didn't allow blacks until 1990! Didn't allow women until 2012!!!!! I just don't give two shiznits about people like that. I have no sympathy for people that get upset about this.
Kind of like the band Lady Antebellum changing their name to Lady A. Who really cares?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:36 pm

CelticCat wrote:
He doesn't seem angry to me, he's pointing stupid behavior of those who get upset about things like the word "Master".
Perhaps you should move on from these threads, or put him on your Foes list.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:14 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:36 pm
CelticCat wrote:
He doesn't seem angry to me, he's pointing stupid behavior of those who get upset about things like the word "Master".
Why? I like to see what everyone is thinking about these things. I’ve never added anyone to my foe list. It was more of a curiosity, there are just people, left and right, who seem constantly angry. Life is too short to add people to your foe list or be angry all the time. I still employ the time honored tradition of skipping past content I don’t like or agree with (well at least a majority of it). :)

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:47 am

91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Augusta held on to racism and anti-feminism for as long as it could. It's a wonderful, beautiful place in a physical sense, but it's history is very dark. The entire area from S.C/Georgia to Louisiana is like this. I wouldn't doubt that there are still country clubs that don't allow blacks and women. I hope not. People put up with it for too long. I don't feel bad for anyone from the South that still holds on to these "values" where they think they and they're old way of life is better than everyone's. It's unfortunate that people are racists, but it isn't unfortunate that they have to pay a price for being racists. Anything that supported racism until it had to stop and only reluctantly does so, doesn't get any sympathy from me when their monuments are torn down and names are changed.

The name Masters, refers to the masters of the game of golf. It doesn't, in any way that I know of, refer to the name Master that many slave owners required their slaves to refer to them as. Does it? I hope that Augusta National has done some things to remedy its past to a point where a lot of people don't get on board with this name change. However, if it does end up getting changed, I won't be shedding any tears. Who can forget Fuzzy Zoeller's "collared greens" comment/joke and Tiger Woods' "forgive, not forget" response to it?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:04 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:14 am
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Why? I like to see what everyone is thinking about these things. I’ve never added anyone to my foe list. It was more of a curiosity, there are just people, left and right, who seem constantly angry. Life is too short to add people to your foe list or be angry all the time. I still employ the time honored tradition of skipping past content I don’t like or agree with (well at least a majority of it). :)
I agree with you, although I admittedly do have a couple griz trolls on my foes list.
But RickRund is a pretty mild-mannered poster in my experiences, I dont find him angry at all. Just conservative, which I'm sure rubs some people the wrong way if they are more liberal.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

arvcat2
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:39 pm

:P
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I am putting CelticCat on my foes list until he changes his racist user name. After all, the Celt’s are not, or were, exactly the most diverse, inclusive, & woke society. Just a bunch of white folk who probably practiced slavery back in the day, like just about all cultures did. C’mon man, be that social justice warrior and change your user name before the cancel culture mob comes for you :P

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:43 pm

I didn’t even know they had a Masters golf tournament. I thought that was for fishing.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:49 pm

Okay, how many on here with Master’s degrees? I think Rick is just pointing out the end of the string in a ball that doesn’t need to be unrolled.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:49 pm
Okay, how many on here with Master’s degrees? I think Rick is just pointing out the end of the string in a ball that doesn’t need to be unrolled.
While we're at it, should we get rid of bachelor's degree? Bachelor implies man, or male. I'd bet $1,000 there are women out there that find this offensive.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:12 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:51 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
While we're at it, should we get rid of bachelor's degree? Bachelor implies man, or male. I'd bet $1,000 there are women out there that find this offensive.
That's an interesting one. Bachelor in this case is a corruption of the word Baccalaureate, which has no male/female association. Perhaps a change to Baccalaureate would be appropriate. We may as well clean up as much of this stuff as possible while we're at it. I actually like the sound of Baccalaureate and it fits in with the other Latin terms used for graduates.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:53 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:12 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:51 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
That's an interesting one. Bachelor in this case is a corruption of the word Baccalaureate, which has no male/female association. Perhaps a change to Baccalaureate would be appropriate. We may as well clean up as much of this stuff as possible while we're at it. I actually like the sound of Baccalaureate and it fits in with the other Latin terms used for graduates.
That is interesting, and I always wondered why they called it a bachelor's degree rather than Baccalaureate degree!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:13 pm

So we really just need to eliminate Master from our vocabulary, dictionaries etc. Maybe make it a crime to say the word - along with many others. This country is losing it.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:25 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:39 pm
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I am putting CelticCat on my foes list until he changes his racist user name. After all, the Celt’s are not, or were, exactly the most diverse, inclusive, & woke society. Just a bunch of white folk who probably practiced slavery back in the day, like just about all cultures did. C’mon man, be that social justice warrior and change your user name before the cancel culture mob comes for you :P
Dangit, I knew my day would come.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:25 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:39 pm
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Dangit, I knew my day would come.
:lol:

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:22 pm

My wife bought me a subscription to Masterclass.com for my birthday. I wonder what she's trying to tell me...
I wonder if they'll be changing their name soon...
I wonder if I'm a racist if I watch it...

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14