MSU: Stadium plans for games

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bozely
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: MSU: Stadium plans for games

Post by bozely » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:05 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:29 am
bozely wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:23 am
The way COVID is currently shooting up, I'm now thinking the idea that spectators will be allowed in the games to be highly doubtful. MSU will need to consider liability issues and it may not be feasible, from my discussions with people in the (more know than I am) they're looking at a 30-40% drop in incoming and returning student body for the fall semester.

Until there is a vaccine, I'm off the mind that a close to normal season is dubious at best.
And what if there is never a vaccine for this? I understand the need to be cautious but it's looking like we're going to have to live with this virus for a while. I don't see how we just shut everything down for another year or 2. It's already hurting a lot of people in other ways that don't make headlines.
That's a question I can't answer with any real certainty, I agree with your assessment in general, but I'm trying to look at it from an administration standpoint. It's solely my opinion, but from the looks of the current situation things don't seem to be improving in a way that would allow any real return to normal. Good news is there are several companies touting good results from vaccine testing thus far, but even those would take a biblical miracle to distribute by football season. The administration has to take into account liability and health issues and above all at least appear to do things that are in the best interests of the students, athletes, and fans. I just don't see how that would include football in this current situation.

I hope I'm stupidly wrong, this is the first year I've been able to afford season tickets 😭

A new era of football is here, UofM no longer will be the sole power in a much stronger Big Sky. ESG GCG

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:09 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:29 am
bozely wrote:
The way COVID is currently shooting up, I'm now thinking the idea that spectators will be allowed in the games to be highly doubtful. MSU will need to consider liability issues and it may not be feasible, from my discussions with people in the (more know than I am) they're looking at a 30-40% drop in incoming and returning student body for the fall semester.

Until there is a vaccine, I'm off the mind that a close to normal season is dubious at best.
And what if there is never a vaccine for this? I understand the need to be cautious but it's looking like we're going to have to live with this virus for a while. I don't see how we just shut everything down for another year or 2. It's already hurting a lot of people in other ways that don't make headlines.
Totally agree. At some point the leaders of the country, and the world, have to decide that it's time to go back to normal as we knew it. People can point to the loss of lives from the virus all they want, but we will probably never know the amount of lives lost or ruined from issues arising from the reaction and subsequent actions taken in response to the virus. I would be willing to bet suicide rates are higher now than ever before. Divorce rates probably are too and there are a ton of business owners out there who are no longer able to stay open and are probably drowning in debt now. It's already ruined the dreams of many athletes with the cuts schools have made to athletics. And there will be more to follow if things continue on the way they are.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:18 am

If this keeps happening, there will be no football season in the fall.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 226111001/

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:22 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:18 am

Which is too bad because if there is no football season next fall there will be no football ever again for a lot of schools.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:27 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:55 am
How much input or authority will the Bozeman county health department have in deciding weather or not fans can attend MSU football games?
The Missoula county health department shut down an American legion baseball tournament, mid tournament here in missoula yesterday for reasons at this point that are somewhat unclear.
Ultimately which government or University entities are going to be the ultimate decision makers on this ?
Someone lodged a complaint against the Mavericks baseball program for violating the gathering/capacity limit ordinance. Funny thing is the Mavericks head coach said to his knowledge not a single health department official even showed up to check if they were in violation or practicing proper social distancing.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:28 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:06 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:26 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:29 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:15 pm
sounds like one game is in jeopardy, Gold Rush and possibly Utah depending on the PAC.
Otherwise, teams are practicing.
PAC 12 teams are playing. I don't see us not playing the Utes.
I'll be there. If they let me.... :-$
Me, too!! :yes: Not trying to keep that a secret. :wink:
Going to wear a white buttoned up shirt, black tie, black pants and a back pack.
Will you ride a bicycle there?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:16 pm

bozely wrote:

[/quote

We don't need a vaccine. Those are hard to develop and take years to develop. We just need a treatment that gives us flu like numbers.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:46 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:28 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
sounds like one game is in jeopardy, Gold Rush and possibly Utah depending on the PAC.
Going to wear a white buttoned up shirt, black tie, black pants and a back pack.
According to Google 1 day and 5 hrs on a Bike. If I don't have to stop at every house along the way. I'll need to work on my door to door sales, this guy was in Bozeman years ago, Hilarious. He stopped at our to our place, ended buying his stuff, it actually works! Found a clip of his sales pitch.
Last edited by FTG247365 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:38 pm

bozely wrote:

COVID is only shooting up because we're testing more..... which means it's likely been around for quite a while and has already come and gone for tens of millions of people in the country. The numbers I'm most interested in is how many people are dying from COVID (most people are 80 and older) and those numbers are steadily declining as they have been for two months.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:53 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:22 am
Cataholic wrote:

Which is too bad because if there is no football season next fall there will be no football ever again for a lot of schools.
LSU, Texas and Kansas State join Clemson as teams with multiple players testing positive for Covid. LSU has over 30 in quarantine. Not good. At this point, I am starting to think that games in the fall will be dependent how badly Covid makes these athletes sick. Maybe we will see that people in such good health barely feel any effects. Otherwise, I don’t think we will see football in the fall unless a vaccine is developed.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:28 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:53 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

LSU, Texas and Kansas State join Clemson as teams with multiple players testing positive for Covid. LSU has over 30 in quarantine. Not good. At this point, I am starting to think that games in the fall will be dependent how badly Covid makes these athletes sick. Maybe we will see that people in such good health barely feel any effects. Otherwise, I don’t think we will see football in the fall unless a vaccine is developed.
If I was LSU, I would put all 100 players in a room with covid 19 infected people cough for a couple hours and talk and have fun. And then quarantine everybody for 2 weeks and play ball.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:01 pm

catatac wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:38 pm
bozely wrote:

COVID is only shooting up because we're testing more..... which means it's likely been around for quite a while and has already come and gone for tens of millions of people in the country. The numbers I'm most interested in is how many people are dying from COVID (most people are 80 and older) and those numbers are steadily declining as they have been for two months.
Well that and we’re opening things back up. I’ve never disputed the fact that lockdowns, business closures, and minimal human interaction will slow a virus. That’s just science. Hell, we could force every single American to never leave their house at all, for anything, no matter what, and eradicate this thing totally. But obviously that wound have major implications and likely include lots of deaths.

What people like me are saying, is at what point do we stop? Lives have been ruined. Educations have been ruined. Businesses shut down. A Yahoo article I read this morning mental health issues in teens is way up. Doctors are predicting cancer cases and other health issues are going to rise in the coming years because people aren’t going to doctors right now and getting checked. Obviously this could be proven false in the coming years, we won’t know for a bit.

People are getting back to their lives. We’re testing about 400% more today than we were in March. Cases are going to go up. Media will continue reporting death tolls. How the 99% of us that will never be effected respond is up to us....

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 pm

Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I agree with you. Which is why we’re in luck. Covid likely won’t make almost any of these athletes very sick. Most didn’t know they had it. Like everyone else, almost none will even require hospitalization.

That’s a stat I’d actually love to see with all of these athletes, college and pro they’re reporting about. How many have become very ill, and how many have required hospitalization? I’d love those numbers.

And I know, I know! It’s not about these guys. It’s about the older and more vulnerable people. It’s about not overwhelming hospitals. I’d still be curious of the numbers.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:29 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I agree with you. Which is why we’re in luck. Covid likely won’t make almost any of these athletes very sick. Most didn’t know they had it. Like everyone else, almost none will even require hospitalization.

That’s a stat I’d actually love to see with all of these athletes, college and pro they’re reporting about. How many have become very ill, and how many have required hospitalization? I’d love those numbers.

And I know, I know! It’s not about these guys. It’s about the older and more vulnerable people. It’s about not overwhelming hospitals. I’d still be curious of the numbers.
I am also waiting for the stats on how sick these athletes get. It seems strange that not is not getting reported.

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:50 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:29 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I am also waiting for the stats on how sick these athletes get. It seems strange that not is not getting reported.
Since these athletes are or should be top physical condition and in the younger age category, guessing they'll be alright, with a few that have under lying conditions. Just like any information or news if you dig far enough you can find it, with everything else going on right now, it might be just just local or state news in their area's.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:42 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:29 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I just think there’s nothing to report. Fear sells. People will follow. It’s way better to just keep listing the cases rising and not near as fun to list the 99% of people that recover. And it’d be even less newsworthy to report on the young kids, athletes especially that rarely even know they’re infected.

Drums up way more business if we just stick to the number of cases and deaths and none of the other facts. :wink:

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:31 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:46 pm
seataccat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
According to Google 1 day and 5 hrs on a Bike. If I don't have to stop at every house along the way. I'll need to work on my door to door sales, this guy was in Bozeman years ago, Hilarious. He stopped at our to our place, ended buying his stuff, it actually works! Found a clip of his sales pitch.
Bought two bottles from him last year.

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:21 pm

kwcat wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:31 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:46 pm
seataccat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Bought two bottles from him last year.
Just his sales pitch/stand up is worth paying for. The cleaner was just a bonus.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:34 am

catatac wrote:
bozely wrote:

Yesterday saw 267 reported COVID deaths in the entire country (The debate goes on how many of those were actually DUE to COVID). That's the lowest number since March 23rd.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:02 am

catatac wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:34 am
catatac wrote:
bozely wrote:

Yesterday saw 267 reported COVID deaths in the entire country (The debate goes on how many of those were actually DUE to COVID). That's the lowest number since March 23rd.
It isn't much of a debate. There are about 150,000 more deaths in the USA this year than normal and Covid is only accounting for 120,000 of them, so there's probably at least 140,000 Covid deaths. There would have to be some other unknown/unrecognized disease going around for most of those deaths to not be Covid-related.

Yes, the deaths are going down. For some reason they're much lower on the weekends, but if you compare weekends to weekends they've gone down a lot. I actually find the increased number of cases to be good news oddly enough as I'd rather know about as many cases as possible. As long as the at-risk people are protected, I think deaths will continue to drop. I like to see all the weekday death counts get below 250 and the weekends below 100 before football practice starts.
Last edited by iaafan on Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.