2021 Recruiting Rumors and Discussion

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: 2021 Recruiting Rumors and Discussion

Post by Ilikecats » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:48 am

Is there anyone working harder than Coach Sprinkle and his assistants on the recruiting trail? If you have talent they will find you!

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:28 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:52 pm
Lot of mid-major powerhouses lose to MT Tech?
Lol...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) nice.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:50 am

Last Monday and into Tuesday there were a flurry of offers to the 2022 recruiting class (will be high school juniors this fall) sent out by the Montana State and most other D-1. The most interesting offer was for is 6-8 combo forward ND Okafor of Ireland. I believe he is originally from Mexico. Okafor had a very good FIBA U16 European Championship Division B without many d-1 coaches watching. I think Sprinkle and Haslam had a real hidden gem. It was a busy day, Monday for Okafor. it started with Baylor calling and offering him. Little later Sprinkle and Haslam called and offered. Shortly after that A school by the name of Arizona called and offered him. By the end of the day he also had offers from Creighton, Geogia, and TCU. You can also add Washington State, Virginia Tech and a little know basketball school by the name of Kentucky to the list who called but no offer as of yet. Sounds like he is a gem alright but maybe not so hidden.

In the FIBA U16 European Championship Division B Okafor averaged 16.1 points, 14.3 rebounds and five blocks per game, while shooting 53-percent fh the field. He led FIBA in double-doubles (8), rebounds and blocked shots per game

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:28 am

Baylor called and offered before we did?

I doubt we have much of a chance.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:17 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:28 am

Did our coaches know who called early Monday before them Probably not. With schools like Arizona and Kentucky recruiting him, doe not look good

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:24 pm

mslacat wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:17 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

Did our coaches know who called early Monday before them Probably not. With schools like Arizona and Kentucky recruiting him, doe not look good
I'm not trying to criticize our coaches, I'm just saying that to succeed at recruiting a prospect above your level, you need to show earlier and more-consistent interest than bigger schools.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:48 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:24 pm
mslacat wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

I'm not trying to criticize our coaches, I'm just saying that to succeed at recruiting a prospect above your level, you need to show earlier and more-consistent interest than bigger schools.
Monday was the first day coaches were allowed to call and talk to recruits, previous to this you could only contact a recruit by mail, in the 2023 class. With oversee recruits you never know how widely know and who is seriously recruiting a kid until coaches are allowed to personally contact a recruit. The coaches saw and heard about a prospect from Ireland,- not exactly a hot bed of D-1 basketball recruits-liked him and called him early on the first day you were allowed and offered him.Turns out 5-6 others d-1's also call him. Later you find out Arizona and Baylor also called him along with 5 other schools since, OK he not as hidden as you thought, and you are going to have to worker harder to find the next Harald Frey. It is not good or bad it is recruiting.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:07 pm

mslacat wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:48 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:24 pm
mslacat wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

Monday was the first day coaches were allowed to call and talk to recruits, previous to this you could only contact a recruit by mail, in the 2023 class. With oversee recruits you never know how widely know and who is seriously recruiting a kid until coaches are allowed to personally contact a recruit. The coaches saw and heard about a prospect from Ireland,- not exactly a hot bed of D-1 basketball recruits-liked him and called him early on the first day you were allowed and offered him.Turns out 5-6 others d-1's also call him. Later you find out Arizona and Baylor also called him along with 5 other schools since, OK he not as hidden as you thought, and you are going to have to worker harder to find the next Harald Frey. It is not good or bad it is recruiting.
Yep. You can't win 'em all.

-Trent King, Playmakers

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:55 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:11 pm

Imo committed to ODU.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:35 am

Any news on any other offers or potential pt guards out there?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:39 am

Timmy Falls from UM just entered the transfer portal. I am not sure what type of kid he is, but I thought he was a real good player. One year left and sounds like he got screwed by Decuire.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:23 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:39 am
Timmy Falls from UM just entered the transfer portal. I am not sure what type of kid he is, but I thought he was a real good player. One year left and sounds like he got screwed by Decuire.
Somewhat mixed feelings and mixed reasons over at the site to remain unnamed. Know nothing about him but a few thought he was not of the best character...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:38 am

RickRund wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:23 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:39 am
Somewhat mixed feelings and mixed reasons over at the site to remain unnamed. Know nothing about him but a few thought he was not of the best character...
Sprinks wouldn't touch that guy with a 100 foot pole.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:23 pm

From my understanding in talking to people in Missoula Falls is well like by some players, but is known for being "moody" (being polite) when thing don't go his way. On the court he is at time a killer and other you hardly know he is there. Same way in the locker room.

I will give you some PG names when I get some time, but I think right now that is his #1 priority and he wants a real good high school player. If he has not got his man by winter I bet he start looking at JC's. I do not think he will take a chance on a point guard/ Someone who he feels can contribute next year.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:48 pm

mslacat wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:23 pm
From my understanding in talking to people in Missoula Falls is well like by some players, but is known for being "moody" (being polite) when thing don't go his way. On the court he is at time a killer and other you hardly know he is there. Same way in the locker room.

I will give you some PG names when I get some time, but I think right now that is his #1 priority and he wants a real good high school player. If he has not got his man by winter I bet he start looking at JC's. I do not think he will take a chance on a point guard/ Someone who he feels can contribute next year.
You don’t think Bishop, Hood and Owens can get us through this year? Don’t we have some nice guards coming in next year?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:38 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:48 pm
mslacat wrote:

You don’t think Bishop, Hood and Owens can get us through this year? Don’t we have some nice guards coming in next year?
I think they can! I am talking about this years recruiting class when Bishop leaves. Hood can play point but not a pure point. Still he is going to very good. Owens is on my wait and see list as a walk on. My feeling is that Tynes will be our 2nd or third PG off the bench. Right now we have three seniors and three small 6-5 to 6-6 guard/ small forward committed. Our 4th recruit (PG) is assuming a current underclass man does not return for 21-22.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:48 am

mslacat wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:38 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:48 pm
mslacat wrote:

I think they can! I am talking about this years recruiting class when Bishop leaves. Hood can play point but not a pure point. Still he is going to very good. Owens is on my wait and see list as a walk on. My feeling is that Tynes will be our 2nd or third PG off the bench. Right now we have three seniors and three small 6-5 to 6-6 guard/ small forward committed. Our 4th recruit (PG) is assuming a current underclass man does not return for 21-22.
Thanks for insight! Hope we get to see them play!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Griz__00 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:29 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:30 am
Griz__00 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:54 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:04 am
Griz__00 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:25 pm
If I am keeping track, we have 4 commits and all look legit. One is WY Gatorade player of the year. McMahon from Alaska is super athletic and looks to have that “it” factor. Watch his highlights earlier in this thread. I have never seen a high school kid dunk it like that. He had a break away double pump dunk. Athleticism is off the charts. Shabbaz looks athletic and can shoot. Germer is a 6’7” perimeter player with great athletic genes. Wow!!
Imagine thinking McMahon has off the charts athleticism. Have you ever had a decent athlete? Try this on for size.
You’ll be seeing this for the next 3 years. Have fun. We swept you in a down year and you ain’t getting us anytime soon.
Kid is athletic. He had a great season at Utah... oh wait, HE DIDNT GET TO PLAY AT UTAH!

But thanks for visiting and reminding us why Griz fans are such douches.
Once again showing your lack of knowledge on any situation before trash talking. Gaskin was one of 7 or 8 Utah players to transfer out of Utah last season. He was projected to be a key piece of their rotation. As in if he wasn’t going to start, he was going to be 1st or 2nd man off the bench. He left a Utah program with a lot of issues over the past few years, and pretty sure nobody can blame him. Not to mention, when he transferred, he had interest to stay P12 from WSU, to go along with MWC and WCC offers and interest but went with us instead. But go ahead and talk your trash. Make it all that much better when Gaskin is All BSC for 2 or 3 years before playing pro ball.
So my comment above was Gaskin never played for Utah. Guess how many minutes he spent on the court at Utah? ZERO! Here are the season stats:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... istics.pdf

So did they remove his minutes and stats from the Utah records? And you say he was projected to play significant minutes next season? Seriously stupid comments on your part. Gaskin redshirted, didn’t like sitting the bench and left after one year of no play.

Upon leaving Utah, Washington State was interested but he never made a campus visit. They must have been really INTERESTED - maybe a walk on offer from the worst team in the PAC 12. According to 406Sports, his other offers were UC Santa Barbara and JUCO schools.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 963a4.html

Speaking of trash talk, you do realize that you are the guy posting on a rivals website? I had posted a positive comment about an MSU recruit here and you come and talk sh1t. Seems to me that you need to find a hobby besides teach talking, because you are not very good at it.
Once again you have missed the mark on Gaskin. He said that WSU was heavily pushing for him to make a visit but committed here as he had already visited. Not to mention, Gaskin coming off of a redshirt year was being touted by insiders and people watching Utah basketball practices as one of the most improved players on the team with an improved outside J and was a projected 6th or 7th man. Oh and by the way UCSB was way better last year than you have been in your entire existence as a sorry trash a$s basketball program. You may as well give up. UM is loaded and you know it. Just wait until we beat you by 20 plus to see it first hand. 21 of 22 to come soon.🥱
This aged well... :coffee:

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:24 am

😲🤣

Sports is not bigger than life