Looks like Univ of Texas football has problems

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Looks like Univ of Texas football has problems

Post by RickRund » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:15 pm

Players asking for demands or else. Wonder if this starting a trend. Probably!!!

https://www.theblaze.com/news/universit ... 270%20days

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Looks like Univ of Texas football has problems

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:36 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:15 pm
Players asking for demands or else. Wonder if this starting a trend. Probably!!!

Good for them. All seems reasonable so far and it’s good they’re finding their voice.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:15 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:36 pm
RickRund wrote:

Good for them. All seems reasonable so far and it’s good they’re finding their voice.
Just asking where it will stop. Remember, Democrats were also in the same voice as those whose statues they want removed. Can we get all the Democrats statues removed and their party declared racists?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:49 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:15 am
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Just asking where it will stop. Remember, Democrats were also in the same voice as those whose statues they want removed. Can we get all the Democrats statues removed and their party declared racists?
Been saying for awhile that anything with robert KKK byrd attached to it should go first. Another would be j william fulbright... But we all know where that idea will end up.

msubobcats@outlook.com

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:38 am

Montanabob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I can’t speak on any of that as politics do nothing for me. Honesty I feel if people weren’t so obsessed with politics and “sides” we’d be far better off. But that is another subject.

I was speaking to the idea of college athletes, and anyone else, finally taking a stand for equity. It’s nice these kids are realizing they do in fact have some leverage.

So I guess to answer when it will stop? When we have racial equity in this country. Or at least take much bigger actions to get in that direction. If it means some statues come down, or names of buildings get changed, so be it. We have FAR bigger fish to fry in regards to racial equity than the names of some buildings or old statues.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:25 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:38 am
Montanabob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I can’t speak on any of that as politics do nothing for me. Honesty I feel if people weren’t so obsessed with politics and “sides” we’d be far better off. But that is another subject.

Me answering.....Unfortunate everything we do presently is controlled by politics. Many of us feel we should have much more freedoms to make our own choices. We don't care to have our hands held by the long arm of the government. "Hello, I am from the government and we are here to help you" . The CONSTITUTION was kicked to the curb many years ago and is being violated incrementally more every day.

I was speaking to the idea of college athletes, and anyone else, finally taking a stand for equity. It’s nice these kids are realizing they do in fact have some leverage.

So I guess to answer when it will stop? When we have racial equity in this country. Or at least take much bigger actions to get in that direction. If it means some statues come down, or names of buildings get changed, so be it. We have FAR bigger fish to fry in regards to racial equity than the names of some buildings or old statues.
I will not go into a sermon here but we will not have racial equity because people have a free will and with that free will comes the choice to hate. And as the government pushes some will push back and become more stiff-necked. Remember the "hello, I am from the government and we are here to help you"... I will add, we will not have racial equity until...... And there is only one race. Hopefully it will improve some but...

Not sure how to answer quotes correctly...

msubobcats@outlook.com

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:32 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:25 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Me answering.....Unfortunate everything we do presently is controlled by politics. Many of us feel we should have much more freedoms to make our own choices. We don't care to have our hands held by the long arm of the government. "Hello, I am from the government and we are here to help you" . The CONSTITUTION was kicked to the curb many years ago and is being violated incrementally more every day.

I will not go into a sermon here but we will not have racial equity because people have a free will and with that free will comes the choice to hate. And as the government pushes some will push back and become more stiff-necked. Remember the "hello, I am from the government and we are here to help you"... I will add, we will not have racial equity until...... And there is only one race. Hopefully it will improve some but...

I find it hilarious that I said equity instead of equality twice; then it must have been in your head because you did the same! Whoops.

I don’t disagree that there will always be people who hate. Statistically those from poor areas and terrible educations. That’d be a start. But just because we’ll always have uneducated simpletons that will hate to hate, doesn’t mean there isn’t a LOT that can be done to get to racial equality. I don’t think it’s asking a lot from African Americans that they be treated the same, and have the same opportunities as me, a white male. And while there are outliers such as athletes, entertainers, Barrack Obama, etc., this is a tiny fraction of the population. For the other 99% of the black population they still aren’t always given a fair shake. And we need to take steps to even that up.

Like I mentioned weeks ago, it’s easy to support these guys when they are running fast and scoring touchdowns and baskets for our favorite teams. We need to support them off the courts and fields as well. And we need to listen to what they’re saying. Not just hear them talking and preparing a rebuttal, but actually listen to what they’re saying. If we start listening about what we can do to be better, instead of making arguments against how minorities feel, things can change.

But it’s asinine to me that it’s 2020 and these conversations are still necessary.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:22 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:32 pm
RickRund wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I find it hilarious that I said equity instead of equality twice; then it must have been in your head because you did the same! Whoops.

I don’t disagree that there will always be people who hate. Statistically those from poor areas and terrible educations. That’d be a start. But just because we’ll always have uneducated simpletons that will hate to hate, doesn’t mean there isn’t a LOT that can be done to get to racial equality. I don’t think it’s asking a lot from African Americans that they be treated the same, and have the same opportunities as me, a white male. And while there are outliers such as athletes, entertainers, Barrack Obama, etc., this is a tiny fraction of the population. For the other 99% of the black population they still aren’t always given a fair shake. And we need to take steps to even that up.

Like I mentioned weeks ago, it’s easy to support these guys when they are running fast and scoring touchdowns and baskets for our favorite teams. We need to support them off the courts and fields as well. And we need to listen to what they’re saying. Not just hear them talking and preparing a rebuttal, but actually listen to what they’re saying. If we start listening about what we can do to be better, instead of making arguments against how minorities feel, things can change.

But it’s asinine to me that it’s 2020 and these conversations are still necessary.
What is hilarious is I didn't even see the word equity.

msubobcats@outlook.com

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:02 pm

Most of the confederate statues were put up in the name of hatred. The leaders that continued to speak in favor of succession had statues erected for them. They weren’t put up because the person had noble qualities. The leaders that supported reconstruction after the Civil War don’t have statues.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:34 am

ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

You know what statistically makes a huge difference when it comes to reducing crimes, increasing wealth, education, and all that good stuff?

The traditional dual parent household. Involved parents. I wish that was promoted as much as a woman's right to remove her child. Won't fix everything, but it will fix a lot. Kids need an involved mom and dad.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:13 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:34 am
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

You know what statistically makes a huge difference when it comes to reducing crimes, increasing wealth, education, and all that good stuff?

The traditional dual parent household. Involved parents. I wish that was promoted as much as a woman's right to remove her child. Won't fix everything, but it will fix a lot. Kids need an involved mom and dad.
I agree. Stats don't lie. But I don't see what you can do to enforce that?

I maintain starting with education would even go a long ways in this issue. Education would curb, if not eliminate many social issues. When kids are born into a crappy, uneducated family, they're more likely to make crappy, uneducated decisions. And it will never end.

I'm obviously not suggesting a great education would put a stop to divorces or anything like that. Obviously that's not the case. But it would go a long ways. It would open up doors many don't have right now. They'd take pride in their situations. They'd be less likely to rely on drugs and alcohol, which as we all know leads to many unplanned pregnancies. They'd be more equipped do deal with a pregnancy unlike many today.

The benefits of everyone getting the same education, and a great one at that are unlimited in my opinion. It frustrates me so much to see education being ignored year after year, administration after administration, while spending so much money elsewhere. It's completely backwards and I just can't understand it. ](*,)

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:31 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:13 am
bobcat99 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I maintain starting with education would even go a long ways in this issue. Education would curb, if not eliminate many social issues. When kids are born into a crappy, uneducated family, they're more likely to make crappy, uneducated decisions. And it will never end.

I'm obviously not suggesting a great education would put a stop to divorces or anything like that. Obviously that's not the case. But it would go a long ways. It would open up doors many don't have right now. They'd take pride in their situations. They'd be less likely to rely on drugs and alcohol, which as we all know leads to many unplanned pregnancies. They'd be more equipped do deal with a pregnancy unlike many today.

The benefits of everyone getting the same education, and a great one at that are unlimited in my opinion. It frustrates me so much to see education being ignored year after year, administration after administration, while spending so much money elsewhere. It's completely backwards and I just can't understand it. ](*,)

You can't enforce it, but you could certainly promote it. And I don't think anybody can say that viewpoint is being promoted.

Yes, education helps. But we already spend a lot of money on education. Will spending more help? I would argue that an emphasis on involved, dual parent households increases a kids education. How many kids have opportunities, but don't have anybody at home pushing them? I think the number is very high. Nothing to back that up other than anecdotal. I also think unions hurt education. It's almost impossible to fire a teacher who is tenured. That shouldn't be the case.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:31 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:13 am
bobcat99 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

You can't enforce it, but you could certainly promote it. And I don't think anybody can say that viewpoint is being promoted.

Yes, education helps. But we already spend a lot of money on education. Will spending more help? I would argue that an emphasis on involved, dual parent households increases a kids education. How many kids have opportunities, but don't have anybody at home pushing them? I think the number is very high. Nothing to back that up other than anecdotal. I also think unions hurt education. It's almost impossible to fire a teacher who is tenured. That shouldn't be the case.
Agree with your last point for sure. It's certainly not good, especially in the cases of teachers pretty much checking out and simply sticking around for tenure.

I don't agree at all that we spend a lot on education. Not in comparison to everything else. And more importantly, the money we do spend is not distributed equally. Not even close. It's 2020 and the majority of teachers use their own money providing supplies for their students. That is asinine to me.

We fund schools in middle to upper class, primarily white neighborhoods ok. Certainly not great. We don't fund schools in poor, minority schools at all. The we sit back and act shocked when uneducated, screwed over kids turn to a life drugs, crime, sex trade, etc.

I think the starting point is easy. Provide much more funding for education. Make all schools adequate for teaching, because many are not right now. Offer equal funding to ALL schools. And pay teachers! You want good quality educators? Than make it so they don't make far more money bartending 3-4 nights a week than they do putting in 50+ hours teaching.

At the very least I wish we'd just try to act like education is important. What we've done to this point isn't working. Try my idea for 10 years and if there are no benefits go back to spending billions on military and government salaries. But at least give it a whirl!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:27 am

So do you think Betsy D has this handled????😂🤣😂

And, is someone talking to LB Juwan about entering the portal and coming north????

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobCatFan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 am

Montanabob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Sounds like a good idea.

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobCatFan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:25 am

Reading through all this posts. Most of you seem be educated elites with a” I don’t stink complex or I am better that you lesser educated slobs.“ Pretty discussing in my humble opinion. I have know people with PhD degrees with the common sense of a rock and could not find their way out of a paper bag.

The constitution says all men are created equal. Maybe you should try treating others that way too.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:54 am

BobCatFan wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:25 am
Reading through all this posts. Most of you seem be educated elites with a” I don’t stink complex or I am better that you lesser educated slobs.“ Pretty discussing in my humble opinion. I have know people with PhD degrees with the common sense of a rock and could not find their way out of a paper bag.

The constitution says all men are created equal. Maybe you should try treating others that way too.
Could you point me to the part in the constitution that says "all men are created equal"? I seem to recall a 3/5th clause that says slaves are represented as 3/5th of a human being but I don't recall anything about all men are created equal.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:52 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:54 am
BobCatFan wrote:

Could you point me to the part in the constitution that says "all men are created equal"? I seem to recall a 3/5th clause that says slaves are represented as 3/5th of a human being but I don't recall anything about all men are created equal.
The Declaration of Independence states in the second paragraph that all men are created equal, endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights...

msubobcats@outlook.com

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:06 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:52 pm
seataccat wrote:
BobCatFan wrote:

The Declaration of Independence states in the second paragraph that all men are created equal, endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights...
I wasn't aware that we got any of our rights from the declaration of independence.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:06 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:52 pm
seataccat wrote:
BobCatFan wrote:

I wasn't aware that we got any of our rights from the declaration of independence.
The Declaration, the Bill of Rights and the Constitution sort of via the Magna Carta Libertatum by way of Natural Law...
Yep, we did.

msubobcats@outlook.com