Kevin Thomson in the Transfer Portal

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Kevin Thomson in the Transfer Portal

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:49 pm

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Kevin Thomson in the Transfer Portal

Post by Cledus » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:32 pm

That’s a weird way to show gratitude for the institution that has done so much for you. Especially when you consider his pro prospects are almost zero.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:59 pm

WTH?? Wow I didn't see that one coming. Very surprising.

I think this may affect a few preseason polls I've seen...

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:07 pm

That's going to be a real kick in the nut SAC.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:32 pm
That’s a weird way to show gratitude for the institution that has done so much for you. Especially when you consider his pro prospects are almost zero.
From what I've read it's still a major question as to whether the California schools will be playing football at all this fall. I can't say I blame Thomson for putting his name out there and seeing what his options are, knowing that he can remove his name and go back to Sac State if it turns out they'll be able to play. He has his degree, so if he wants to move on with his life/career I don't think he owes Sac State anything.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:28 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 pm
Cledus wrote:
From what I've read it's still a major question as to whether the California schools will be playing football at all this fall. I can't say I blame Thomson for putting his name out there and seeing what his options are, knowing that he can remove his name and go back to Sac State if it turns out they'll be able to play. He has his degree, so if he wants to move on with his life/career I don't think he owes Sac State anything.
Ah! Good point, I'll bet it is because Cali schools might not play a football season.
And it's Kevin's 12th and final year, I'm sure he doesn't wanna miss it. :lol:

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 pm

7th season. His coach says he wants to play FBS.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:58 am

MSU01 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
I get all that, it's not lost on me. Everyone's athletic career ends at some point and I realize this isn't how he wants it to end. To me, this move has mercenary written all over it. At some point you've got to put on your big kid britches and handle things like a grown up.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:08 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 pm
Thought it was season 8. But moot point. Hard to keep up after so many seasons.

Yes, really surprised at this.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:30 am

RickRund wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:08 am
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 pm
Thought it was season 8. But moot point. Hard to keep up after so many seasons.

Yes, really surprised at this.
And CSU still isn't sure if schools will play football in the fall, including in BSC, MWC, Pac-12. Oregon may not play either as they don't want a loss to NDSU.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:47 am

Cledus wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:58 am
MSU01 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
I get all that, it's not lost on me. Everyone's athletic career ends at some point and I realize this isn't how he wants it to end. To me, this move has mercenary written all over it. At some point you've got to put on your big kid britches and handle things like a grown up.
Seems to me like Mr. Thomson is doing a fine job at handling things like a grown-up. He has overcome major adversity to become a great football player and more importantly for his life moving forward, to earn his college degree. We have no idea of the reasons that played into his decision, and there may be academic and/or personal factors outside of football that are weighing very heavily into that decision. In general, I find it quite ironic that people tend to not criticize college coaches who will jump ship at the first opportunity for more money or a higher-profile job, while at the same time players who transfer are often portrayed in a negative light as not being loyal or committed enough.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:39 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:47 am
Cledus wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Seems to me like Mr. Thomson is doing a fine job at handling things like a grown-up. He has overcome major adversity to become a great football player and more importantly for his life moving forward, to earn his college degree. We have no idea of the reasons that played into his decision, and there may be academic and/or personal factors outside of football that are weighing very heavily into that decision. In general, I find it quite ironic that people tend to not criticize college coaches who will jump ship at the first opportunity for more money or a higher-profile job, while at the same time players who transfer are often portrayed in a negative light as not being loyal or committed enough.
I'm guessing Cledus would feel differently it Thomson decided to transfer to MSU. 8)

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:32 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:39 am
MSU01 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
I'm guessing Cledus would feel differently it Thomson decided to transfer to MSU. 8)
I would not change my opinion even if he verbally expressed interest in MSU as the only place he wanted to go. I would not like the disruption to the continuity and team chemistry already present. Even though nobody on the team would admit it out loud, I think there would silently be some resentment in the locker room among the guys for whom MSU was always their first choice and have been here grinding it out. Lastly, just because he had a great year last year is not a guarantee he'd have the same production this year.

If he had at least two years of eligibility then you're right, I would feel differently. Actually, since it's Kevin Thomson we're talking about he still might have 6 or 8 more years of eligibility.

Edit: I just want to add that Choate gutted and built this program from the ground up. We're strong enough now from our organic recruiting that we don't need to chase something because it's shiny.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:33 am

Here's an idea:

If Cali guys can't play then let's shoot a little higher than Sac State. Go for USC, UCLA, and Stanford.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:56 am

I don't see how bringing in a guy like Thomson is any different than bringing in McKay, other than Thomson is a much more proven commodity. Thomson is the reigning Big Sky MVP and finished T-3rd for the Payton last year. Yes the one year left isn't ideal but we're talking going from a top 50 QB to a top 5 QB - it's a gamechanger.

I totally get the chemistry thing and Ryan and I are both on record as kind of scratching our heads at bringing in McKay, but only because McKay doesn't appear to be an immediate improvement over Rovig, who I think is slowly turning the corner. Thomson is a completely different animal though and I'd take him in a heartbeat. Thomson would make us a title contender immediately. IMO he's exactly the kind of QB Choate wants - good leader, good decisions, quick decisions, doesn't turn the ball over and is great in the +1 running game. And we'd ask him to do a lot less than Sac would.

All that said, it's moot because the kid wants to go FBS.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:13 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:39 am
MSU01 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
What if he had eyes on UM? Didn’t Bobby recruit him to UNLV to begin with? Sounds like he is looking FBS though so I’m good with that.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:21 pm

Yea, if he ends up in FCS I wouldn't be surprised if it's at UM.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:09 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:21 pm
Unless they waived it due to the circumstances I believe he'd have to this year. You aren't supposed to be able to transfer within the BSC without sitting...unless your name is Robbie Hauck.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:53 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:09 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:21 pm
Unless they waived it due to the circumstances I believe he'd have to this year. You aren't supposed to be able to transfer within the BSC without sitting...unless your name is Robbie Hauck.
In all seriousness, I'm actually glad the NCAA allowed Robbie to transfer and play immediately. Blood is thicker than water, and it's a special thing for a son to play for his dad (even if his dad is a tool :wink: )...

On a lighter note, I'm glad he's a starter for UM. The cats had their way with him last year, wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if it happened again. I'm sure the record will still show he got 18 tackles... Maybe even 20! :lol:

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:05 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:56 am
I don't see how bringing in a guy like Thomson is any different than bringing in McKay, other than Thomson is a much more proven commodity. Thomson is the reigning Big Sky MVP and finished T-3rd for the Payton last year. Yes the one year left isn't ideal but we're talking going from a top 50 QB to a top 5 QB - it's a gamechanger.

I totally get the chemistry thing and Ryan and I are both on record as kind of scratching our heads at bringing in McKay, but only because McKay doesn't appear to be an immediate improvement over Rovig, who I think is slowly turning the corner. Thomson is a completely different animal though and I'd take him in a heartbeat. Thomson would make us a title contender immediately. IMO he's exactly the kind of QB Choate wants - good leader, good decisions, quick decisions, doesn't turn the ball over and is great in the +1 running game. And we'd ask him to do a lot less than Sac would.

All that said, it's moot because the kid wants to go FBS.
They brought McKay in because you can't win a championship with Rovig. Brooks said it on your podcast. Listen to Brooks, he's right.